• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

PokeAmi

That was way earlier then I expected?? thought more like somewhere between March-May. Hope it's not rushed though.

But why did they reveal this now? So out of the blue. Wouldn't it be better to show us this at the next pokemon presents? Maybe this means that the presents are coming very soon.

That art is gorgeous! Is it actually the cover art?

BCVM22

People have speculated that we might not get Gen IX because of Legends. This Jan release date puts a hamper on that, I think.

It usually transpires that most things that "people have speculated" turn out to be baseless horse****. Pardon my language. Add another item to that column.

That was way earlier then I expected?? thought more like somewhere between March-May. Hope it's not rushed though.

The original reveal was "Early 2022" (which May would not have been) and January certainly is that, so it's not as if we're getting it any earlier than originally suggested.

That art is gorgeous! Is it actually the cover art?

They're probably not showing it to us with the box art overlay if it isn't.

Red and Blue

What's that on the very top of the mountain? Is that Arceus? Also why does the mountain look red?
Looks like some sort of shrine. Possibly for Arceus
People have speculated that we might not get Gen IX because of Legends. This Jan release date puts a hamper on that, I think.
I figured Gen 9 would be coming out winter 2023 regardless

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I figured Gen 9 would be coming out winter 2023 regardless
That seems about right. Most Gens last three years on average with Gen I And III lasting four in total. Gen VI did get the short end of the stick though and deserved another year so we could have gotten a third Kalos game especially since many things went unanswered in XY.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Fail to see how or why people came to the conclusion that Gen IX wouldn’t be a thing. The best course of option for GF would be to release a new gen in 2023, to allow time for the Arceus reception to roll in and for them to hopefully fix up and accommodate for some of the issues people have with their work. I’m unsure if that’ll happen with how eager they are to release new games as quickly as possible, but oh well.

I didn’t expect Arceus to have a later release date than February either. It was marketed as a game coming out very early on in 2022, so this is expected. Whether that’s enough time to polish these games to be the best they can be is another story.

Cradily17

Oof. I know that January 2022 is still technically early 2022, but that's even sooner than the release date I was expecting and, in my opinion, too early. That means Legends Arceus is releasing less than a year after it was initially revealed. For most AAA games, that amount of time is spent finalizing the project. I'm not saying that Legends is guaranteed to be a bad game, but it really needs more time in the oven.

BCVM22

You have no idea how long the game was in development before it was revealed publicly. Pokémon core titles alone are typically released in the same year as their unveiling. There's no direct correlation between reveal and development time where it pertains to finalization.

And if you believe January 2022 is somehow too early but February or March (the latest you could feasibly call something "early 2022") would have been ideal, an extra month or two wouldn't have made a world of difference. Maybe some difference, but not drastically.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Here's hoping Torchic will be avaliable. The idea of a team with all bird-like starters is too tempting.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
So it's coming out two weeks after my 30th birthday, shame it won't be out before it but at least there's a set release date now. I can't wait!

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The release date is quite earlier than I expected. I'm guessing they really planned this for November but they knew they can't release it at that date.

The boxart also reminds me a bit of Mystery Dungeons for some reason. And glad to see Rhyhorn in the boxart (and Ralts on the expanded image). These lines are part of the Platinum Dex. Could this means that the Platinum Dex is used in BDSP as well? We are creating the first Sinnoh Dex after all.

Last edited:

Luthor

With that image the Pokemon that sticks out to me is Rhyhorn. More specifically because its a pokemon with a trade evolution. I don't think trading machines will be in it (unless their are some time travel shenanigans) so either there is no trade evolutions, they'll have some ancient form of trading (which to be fair could be interesting), they will take the pokemon Go approach and allow you to evolve trade evolutions without trading or they will replace Pokemon like Rhyperior with an ancient variant/branched evolution.

Red and Blue

With that image the Pokemon that sticks out to me is Rhyhorn. More specifically because its a pokemon with a trade evolution. I don't think trading machines will be in it (unless their are some time travel shenanigans) so either there is no trade evolutions, they'll have some ancient form of trading (which to be fair could be interesting), they will take the pokemon Go approach and allow you to evolve trade evolutions without trading or they will replace Pokemon like Rhyperior with an ancient variant/branched evolution.
We might still be able trade with other players despite there being only one version of the Game. It occurred to me that we might not be able to get the other two starters in the game without trading

ShadowForce720

The release date is quite earlier than I expected. I'm guessing they really planned this for November but they knew they can't release it at that date.

The boxart also reminds me a bit of Mystery Dungeons for some reason. And glad to see Rhyhorn in the boxart (and Ralts on the expanded image). These lines are part of the Platinum Dex. Could this means that the Platinum Dex is used in BDSP as well? We are creating the first Sinnoh Dex after all.
That literally makes no sense, considering that Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shinning Pearl are coming out this November and it makes no sense for Pokémon Legends Arceus come out the very same month as those games.

Also Pokémon Legends Arceus isn’t the first Pokémon main series game to come out in January as Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen came out in Japan in a similar timeframe coming out on January 29th, 2004.

——————————————————-
As for Pokémon LA hinting that Pokémon BDSP uses the Platinum Dex I wouldn’t surprise if that is the case.

Luthor

We might still be able trade with other players despite there being only one version of the Game. It occurred to me that we might not be able to get the other two starters in the game without trading

I think there will be some form of trading but I think the lack of machines to do such trading means they make it at the very least visually different.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
That literally makes no sense, considering that Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shinning Pearl are coming out this November and it makes no sense for Pokémon Legends Arceus come out the very same month as those games.

Also Pokémon Legends Arceus isn’t the first Pokémon main series game to come out in January as Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen came out in Japan in a similar timeframe coming out on January 29th, 2004.

I should've given more context to what I've written. Also, I should've expressed my thought more clearly:

The release date is quite earlier than I expected. I was expecting it to be around March 2022.

My theory is that Legends is what they originally intended to be the Gen 4 "remakes" to shake things up. Just that game. But I'm guessing that they have (more like "obligated") to release something for Holiday 2021 but Legends won't make it in time. So they came up with BDSP, which is plan B.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

I should've given more context to what I've written.

My theory is that Legends is what they originally intended to be the Gen 4 "remakes" to shake things up. Just that game. But I'm guessing that they have (more like "obligated") to release something for Holiday 2021 but Legends won't make it in time. So they came up with BDSP, which is plan B.
I doubt that the case if anything it’s more likely that BDSP were created as a option that would easily make a lot of money, where as Pokémon LA is a more experimental more risky game.

I doubt that they had planned LA to come out in Noveamber of this year nor is there anything that really supports or hints at that being the case.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I doubt that the case if anything it’s more likely that BDSP were created as a option that would easily make a lot of money, where as Pokémon LA is a more experimental more risky game.

I doubt that they had planned LA to come out in Noveamber of this year nor is there anything that really supports or hints at that being the case.

Sure. I know nothing supports my theory. Not that it matters anyway. We already have release dates announced. Now it's just a waiting game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This is a minor nitpick of mine, but I don't like that they made what is presumably meant to be Mt. Tengan (Coronet) resemble Mt. Fuji on the box cover given that Mt. Shirogane (Silver) was already based on Mt. Fuji, which made a lot of sense given Mt. Shirogane's geographical location in the Pokemon world with relation to Mt. Fuji's real world location.

There's also the fact that Mt. Tengan is technically supposed to be a chain of mountains, while the box cover for this game depicts it as a single mountain.