• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’m not expecting there to be a ton of trainers that we fight, I just want there to be at least a few human characters who, battlers or not, are prominent in the story. If GF didn’t want to entertain the appeal of “returning” characters, the player designs wouldn’t be as nearly identical to Dawn and Lucas as they are.

If the combat is all wild encounters and the story at least has some characters involved, then I’d be satisfied with just that.

ShadowForce720

You're asking for the game to be too much like Diamond & Pearl. The game is most likely going to be Pokémon GO in open world.

We will probably spend the majority of the game catching pokemon and much less of it battling. I am preparing myself for this now, so I don't psych myself out and be disappointed when I get the game.
Except it’s already confirmed that you can battle wild Pokémon to weaken in catch them in this game.

Heck if you look at it’s not really even close to looking like Pokémon Go. I mean the only thing it has common in with Go is being open world.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Its odd that we didn't get any pre E3 info lile we normally do. And even now we have no confirmation that Pokemon info is coming at E3. Not to say Nintendo won't bring something up about it, but game freak always does a pokemon direct of its own. Its possible we get very little if any info at e3

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Except it’s already confirmed that you can battle wild Pokémon to weaken in catch them in this game.

Heck if you look at it’s not really even close to looking like Pokémon Go. I mean the only thing it has common in with Go is being open world.

My point is Legends will be more about catching than battling. It became quite clear after the trailer and site stated the game takes place "before trainer battles were even thought of."

Also, Pokémon GO is not an open world game. It's an AR grid game.

We will likely have only a hand full of trainer battles in Legends, if we do get any. Of course, if Legends appears at E3, we'll get to see more of it.

Akashin

My point is Legends will be more about catching than battling. It became quite clear after the trailer and site stated the game takes place "before trainer battles were even thought of."

Also, Pokémon GO is not an open world game. It's an AR grid game.

We will likely have only a hand full of trainer battles in Legends, if we do get any. Of course, if Legends appears at E3, we'll get to see more of it.
If we want to split hairs, what it says is that this game takes place in an era before things like being a Trainer and creating Leagues were thought of. While that does mean our character won't be a Trainer as such (I'm guessing we'll be more akin to a field researcher), I wouldn't say that necessarily means that the concept of humans battling each other with Pokemon hadn't yet been thought of (I would go so far as to say that it would make the most sense if that concept predated Poke Balls). I'll be surprised if there isn't at least something resembling a story to be had, which would likely include a human antagonist of some sort.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
If we want to split hairs, what it says is that this game takes place in an era before things like being a Trainer and creating Leagues were thought of. While that does mean our character won't be a Trainer as such (I'm guessing we'll be more akin to a field researcher), I wouldn't say that necessarily means that the concept of humans battling each other with Pokemon hadn't yet been thought of (I would go so far as to say that it would make the most sense if that concept predated Poke Balls). I'll be surprised if there isn't at least something resembling a story to be had, which would likely include a human antagonist of some sort.

You missed a great deal of lore between Gens 4 thru 6 if you think this is the case. Perhaps you should've spoken to more NPCs.

Now I'm not saying there won't be any human to human battles in this game, but simply it won't be the focus of the gameplay. Such battles will likely be more of a big deal in this game.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Its odd that we didn't get any pre E3 info lile we normally do. And even now we have no confirmation that Pokemon info is coming at E3. Not to say Nintendo won't bring something up about it, but game freak always does a pokemon direct of its own. Its possible we get very little if any info at e3
We actually did... technically. They dropped the release date and boxarts for both games.

Also, we always get Pokemon news every E3. In 2019, we got SWSH info. In 2018, we got LGPE info. In 2017, we got Pokken info (instead of USUM). In 2016, we got SM info.

Akashin

You missed a great deal of lore between Gens 4 thru 6 if you think this is the case. Perhaps you should've spoken to more NPCs.

Now I'm not saying there won't be any human to human battles in this game, but simply it won't be the focus of the gameplay. Such battles will likely be more of a big deal in this game.

Could you, by chance, point out what exactly you're referring to? Among other things, the Kalos War is a great example of a conflict that is exactly what I'm talking about; a conflict driven by humans, utilizing Pokemon, that existed at a time when Trainers and Leagues didn't.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Could you, by chance, point out what exactly you're referring to? Among other things, the Kalos War is a great example of a conflict that is exactly what I'm talking about; a conflict driven by humans, utilizing Pokemon, that existed at a time when Trainers and Leagues didn't.

A lot of NPCs talk about how trainer battles used to be "back in the day," with some even mentioning the early days of leagues, which was apparently quite recent in the timeline.

Of course, with Legends reconning the origin of the PokéBall, they could very well retcon the origin of trainer battles as well. However, since the old folk NPCs tend to say the same thing every gen, I doubt it.

Ultra Beast Lover

It could be that battles and such were invented years ago but only became popular in recent history, perhaps it was even something that only a select few felt a need to do. I mean, if people can just ask Pokemon for help they might've seen the idea of catching and battling with them as pointless. I'm not sure if battles would've been popular in Sinnoh anyways, I think it's more likely that battles became popular in one of the more battle focused regions and that popularity spread out across the world.

Akashin

A lot of NPCs talk about how trainer battles used to be "back in the day," with some even mentioning the early days of leagues, which was apparently quite recent in the timeline.

Of course, with Legends reconning the origin of the PokéBall, they could very well retcon the origin of trainer battles as well. However, since the old folk NPCs tend to say the same thing every gen, I doubt it.
Right, but that doesn't change the fact that the concept of humans and Pokemon battling together existed long before Leagues and the general idea of formal Trainer battles. We know for a fact that the concept existed in a broad sense hundreds of years ago. It's not much of a stretch to say that battles between humans using Pokemon could occur, even if they're not formally considered Trainer Battles.

I'm not arguing the games will have Not-Trainers all over the place for us to battle; that, I agree, wouldn't really fit with what we know so far. But I can't see any reason why it would be strange if we battled other humans in Not-Trainer Battles in at least some capacity, unless that ends up being totally at odds with any new information we learn about the game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Right, but that doesn't change the fact that the concept of humans and Pokemon battling together existed long before Leagues and the general idea of formal Trainer battles. We know for a fact that the concept existed in a broad sense hundreds of years ago. It's not much of a stretch to say that battles between humans using Pokemon could occur, even if they're not formally considered Trainer Battles.

I'm not arguing the games will have Not-Trainers all over the place for us to battle; that, I agree, wouldn't really fit with what we know so far. But I can't see any reason why it would be strange if we battled other humans in Not-Trainer Battles in at least some capacity, unless that ends up being totally at odds with any new information we learn about the game.

I myself said it's possible we'll still have such battles.

I think we're both on the same page, mate.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I for one think that while it is important to acknowledge the ongoing climate of game development as well as the potential that TPCi just simply plans on showcasing stuff on their lonesome, it is still a dire sign that in the biggest video game presentation for the entire year, at the conference that Pokemon exclusively releases on, in a Direct that was to showcase 2021+/- games, there was absolutely nothing related to the next entries in the franchise.

Even if it was just simply a cut to Ishihara to make note that there would be nothing shown at the conference and to keep an eye out for the next Pokemon franchise-related news, it would be a much more welcome sign of things to come rather than absolute radio silence. This is compounded even more so for PLA, given the gameplay shown was promising yet had enough issues to stoke some serious discussion about if the game had some issues that needed to be worked out. I feel as though a lack of news doesn't bode well for the performance (hardware wise, rather than sales wise) and shows that TPCi is either being very conservative with their PLA news, or that they are struggling to show gameplay or news that doesn't reinforce the issues presented during the reveal. Often times the first is indicative of the latter.

I would love to be proven wrong on this but as of right now there is no way I can confidently buy PLA despite how excited I am for the *idea* of it.

I for one think that while it is important to acknowledge the ongoing climate of game development as well as the potential that TPCi just simply plans on showcasing stuff on their lonesome, it is still a dire sign that in the biggest video game presentation for the entire year, at the conference that Pokemon exclusively releases on, in a Direct that was to showcase 2021+/- games, there was absolutely nothing related to the next entries in the franchise.

Even if it was just simply a cut to Ishihara to make note that there would be nothing shown at the conference and to keep an eye out for the next Pokemon franchise-related news, it would be a much more welcome sign of things to come rather than absolute radio silence. This is compounded even more so for PLA, given the gameplay shown was promising yet had enough issues to stoke some serious discussion about if the game had some issues that needed to be worked out. I feel as though a lack of news doesn't bode well for the performance (hardware wise, rather than sales wise) and shows that TPCi is either being very conservative with their PLA news, or that they are struggling to show gameplay or news that doesn't reinforce the issues presented during the reveal. Often times the first is indicative of the latter.

I would love to be proven wrong on this but as of right now there is no way I can confidently buy PLA despite how excited I am for the *idea* of it.
Personally, I think this is a bit extreme. Pokemon may very well have their own Pokemon Presents soon. As Joe pointed out on Twitter, Cafe Mix is getting a big update, Unite news is coming, there is BDSP and LA coming, Pokemon Home's new updates, etc. There is plenty to talk about that would warrant their own separate presentation. Obviously, only time will tell, but I wouldn't take this as a sign just yet that the games are automatically going to be terrible.

Ultra Beast Lover

Eh I wouldn't worry about it, it looks like the Direct was mostly for announcing new projects, they already had so many games to announce. Gamefreak probably has a Pokemon Direct lined up. Besides, most of Pokemon's games are just decent at worst, so I really wouldn't worry about Legends being bad.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I find it funny how Tencent will once again drop info on a time when Pokemon fans desperately want info.

BCVM22

People have screamed "they aren't showing anything so the game will be bad!" for every pre-release cycle in recent memory. Not once has it been true but I'm glad* we're keeping this historic streak alive.

*not actually glad

Kein

AKA Silktree
While it is true that the concept of being a Pokemon trainer is not as prevalent in this game's time period, it would really be disappointing if majority are just wild Pokemon battles.
That's definitely the case. The first trailer is meant to give us a pretty good idea of what the game is about. If you want a plethora of trainer battles, buy BDSP.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
That's definitely the case. The first trailer is meant to give us a pretty good idea of what the game is about. If you want a plethora of trainer battles, buy BDSP.
Yes, I know. I am buying both the remake and Legends.

I should have elaborated what I've said. I meant how significant battles such as facing Gym Leaders, Elite Four, rivals, etc will be replaced with ordinary but strong wild Pokemon.