• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Akashin

I think one mechanic that we can completely rule out is breeding. It wouldn't make sense for Elm to discover it years later
It’s honestly never really made much sense to begin with in terms of lore and keeping the timeline consistent. GSC/HGSS take place concurrently with DPPt, in which Elm discovering the behavior of eggs is never really mentioned and you’re gifted eggs by other NPCs, and after RSE, in which breeding is a fully known quantity with an established specialized trainer class. The narrative of Elm studying breeding and eggs is a relic of the second generation introducing the mechanic, just a consequence of them trying to think up a reason it wasn’t present in Gen 1. I think they could retcon breeding into Legends without much trouble if they so choose.

Didn't they already sort of do away with this? In GSC, Mr. Pokemon's discovery of an egg is made out to be a great discovery, but in HGSS the dialogue is toned down and the mention of the egg is changed to it being 'just another egg' that Mr. Pokemon is fascinated by. Unless there's another explicit mention of Elm discovering eggs that I'm forgetting about.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there's no breeding, if for no other reason than that it doesn't quite mesh with the idea that this game takes place before cooperation between humans and Pokemon was commonplace. Having breeding exist as a profession seems a bit odd, unless maybe it's something you and the Professor do as part of your research?

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm curious about the ruins, just looking at them makes me think about Skyward Sword. I wonder what they were used for and who built them. I hope there's some unown writing, it's been so long since I've been able to translate it.

Actually, now that I think about it, that energy looked like it struck something near the tree instead of the tree itself. We know the tree has ruins in front of it, I wonder if the energy struck the ruins and it somehow caused the Pokemon to go berserk

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I'm curious about the ruins, just looking at them makes me think about Skyward Sword. I wonder what they were used for and who built them. I hope there's some unown writing, it's been so long since I've been able to translate it.

Actually, now that I think about it, that energy looked like it struck something near the tree instead of the tree itself. We know the tree has ruins in front of it, I wonder if the energy struck the ruins and it somehow caused the Pokemon to go berserk

My money is on that locations with ruins are where the main missions lead to, more specifically where a plate might be held. We see the PC running along a path of pillars, I bet this and any pillars found are used as visual cues to lead the player.

On top of that I feel like that beam of light is Arceus either powering up or summoning Pokemon to use as protectors of the plates and this is what "King Battles" are. Or something along those lines.

I feel like the overworld Beserk Pokemon are just like what Guardians are for BOTW, not bosses but just powerful enemies you ecounter.

BronzeHeart92

Lockstin made a pretty good video about it. To summarize, Hisui is a homonym and one of the things it can mean is jade. Jade is considered a very precious stone in Japan, a stone of the gods if you will. I think he mentioned that Amaterasu, the sun goddess, used jade to create other gods like Arceus does. Oh and I think Hisui can also mean the sun.
Alrighty. This is one of the reasons why Japanese is a beautiful language. You can literally convey different information with the same set of syllables with different Kanji.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I wonder how many hits the player can take. I hope we can take a hyper beam to the face and live.
I'm wondering if we'll get outfits that resist type damage or perhaps that may be a bonus from collecting plates (if they're in the game)

I could see it just being 3 hits though.

1st just stuns us, 2nd puts us in low health with the red framing, 3rd knocks us out.

NipahRika

For those wondering about the old name meaning for Sinnoh.

Lockstin deep dives into it and y'know what, pretty great name
Oooh, I like that idea and video!

Could it be that Hisuin Growlithe and Braviary no longer exist in present day? Perhaps along with maybe Wyrdeer and Basculegion?
I think so perhaps? Maybe that or they just adapted back to the other regions they're in in the games.

I'm not a huge open world fan, but this game seems like a lot of fun even with the open world aspect for me. The expeditions part reminds me a lot of the Monster Hunter games, along with crafting, but I'm sure that's a staple in a bunch of other games... I just don't play a lot of other stuff XD
I am not a big open world fan much either anymore. I used to like games like it, but the issues are it just feels so boring and bland IMO. I hope this game proves me wrong. I still will get it cause of course I love me some Pokemon.

Ultra Beast Lover

I just want to be able to attack Pokemon back. Let me do a Stone Cold Stunner on a wild Garchomp, that'll send a message
I mean we have smoke bombs and what looks like a riceball... or a rock. Maybe we'll get an item that stuns the Pokemon like in the original Safari Zone only, y'know, it will actually be useful.

NipahRika

I just want to be able to attack Pokemon back. Let me do a Stone Cold Stunner on a wild Garchomp, that'll send a message
Want to give Machamp or Machoke a Batista Bomb off the top of a mountain. Even give some of the mons The Rock Bottom. It'd be a dream for sure, but would be hilarious. Also since we have strong style in the game maybe some of Shinsuke Nakamura's moves lol

I mean we have smoke bombs and what looks like a riceball... or a rock. Maybe we'll get an item that stuns the Pokemon like in the original Safari Zone only, y'know, it will actually be useful.
Yes, that would be great if it those items were actually useful in this game.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
This is a pretty cool guesstimation of what the king battle pokemon could look like or hopefully something close to it.

Thing is too though it could very well be an evolution to a previous Pokemon and to that I am somewhat stumped as to what.

EyAB0HnVEAIvWl3.jpg

ShadowForce720

This is a pretty cool guesstimation of what the king battle pokemon could look like or hopefully something close to it.

Thing is too though it could very well be an evolution to a previous Pokemon and to that I am somewhat stumped as to what.

EyAB0HnVEAIvWl3.jpg
I think the artist did a pretty good job, although without seeing what it actually looks like it’s hard to really say if it’s a new evolution to a existing Pokémon or an entirely new line.

Although looking at this fan made picture it looks more like a entirely new line. Of course there is the possibility and it is likely that there are some key details missing that weren’t able to be seen since we only got it’s silhouette.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Do we have precise clarification that Legends uses the ATB combat system? Or is it just similar to it?

It would be nice if we got a full battle scene footage to showcase it. I've been wanting Pokémon to move to ATB combat for many years now.

Sponge

EyAB0HnVEAIvWl3.jpg

I got the impression from the image that it was a bird Pokemon though....so I'm not sure about this.

Also, I'm not really expecting any completely brand new Pokemon lines to be introduced. (aside from maybe a mythical, but then I don't expect that to be catchable in-game so it likely wouldn't be this Pokemon.

My first thought when I saw it was that it might be a regional variant of Mandibuzz. (or maybe an alternate evolution of Vullaby)

Rune Knight

I just recalled this one shot from the anime depict Arcanine as one of the legendaries and thought what if the engraving is actually meant to portray Arcanine's Hisuian Variant and not his Kantonian one? Maybe the fact that it hasn't been sighted in so long has lead to the Pokémon World passing it off as a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon that only appears in stories.

800px-Legendary_Pokemon_engravings_EP002.png

Okay, it likely doesn't mean anything, but still, I think that it's a fun idea to think about.

Akashin

I just recalled this one shot from the anime depict Arcanine as one of the legendaries and thought what if the engraving is actually meant to portray Arcanine's Hisuian Variant and not his Kantonian one? Maybe the fact that it hasn't been sighted in so long has lead to the Pokémon World passing it off as a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon that only appears in stories.

Okay, it likely doesn't mean anything, but still, I think that it's a fun idea to think about.

Because that depiction also shows the Kanto Legendary Birds, it pretty much has to be the Kantonian Arcanine. It being there is mostly a nod to it being the Legendary Pokemon, which is something its more recent Pokedex entries have been poking a bit of fun at.

With that being said, it would be interesting if Hisuian Arcanine is something entirely distinct from its Kantonian variant. And maybe over time people forgot there ever was a Hisuian variant, and knowledge of it passed into folklore under the belief that it was just the regular Kantonian Arcanine, and part of the reason it came to be considered legendary is because there are tales of Arcanine doing things that the Kantonian variant can't.