• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What about Ultra Wormholes?
It’s possible but given the lore of Gen VII, Ultra Wormholes are a relatively new occurrence. Solgaleo and Lunala have been known for centuries and are considered to be deities but they can’t open up any wormholes by themselves without any assistance whether it is technological (Aether Foundation machine) or the two Flutes being played simultaneously at an Altar.

Autobot N

Like the Mega forms that were never explained.
With that, you could at least say that Team Rocket created the Mega Stones along with Mewtwo (and that they did it with Charizardites specifically which explains why Mewtwo is the only other one to have 2 Megas). Nothing short of time travel would be a logical explanation for a Hisuian Mewtwo

Espeonite

My theory is the protagonist is from modern times and gets brought to the past by one of the legendaries for some reason, the protagonist needing to adjust to the past joins team galaxy for exploration to find his way back etc . . .

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Perhaps Celebi could be allowing time traveling. Dialga is typically in its own dimension and doesn’t seem to like leaving it unless it is absolutely necessary and even then it never time travels or reverses time with the exception of the Arceus movie. Dialga seems content with only freezing time if it is necessary and not much else. But Celebi Time travels all the time and can pass through the time barrier at ease and take anyone with it as it travels through time.
Something may have dislodged Dialga out of its sanctuary though. Considering Dialga's control of time and Palkia's of space, them using their powers in any way would be potentially catastrophic.

(That, and I mentioned the camcorder seems to have been taken from some place that runs on the 12-hour clock, so Palkia may be involved too.)

After that modern Arceus smartphone I figured that would be the case unfortunately. I wish they fully committed to the past setting but hopefully it plays just a small part
Heh, I'm the other way around. I'd like to see some time-based meddling going on.

Either way though, I get the feeling that knowledge of the events in the present would help understand what's going on in the past in Hisui. That is, story-wise, I predict it is not a standalone prequel. Getting Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl out soon before this game ensures as many people playing this game understand the events of modern-day Sinnoh enough to fully appreciate the story of Legends: Arceus.

Vini310

• At 70 days, the time between Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and Pokémon Legends: Arceus is the shortest gap in-between two core series games in the same generation.
Source: Bulbapedia.
It's November 20 in Brazil, meaning that there are... 69 days until Legends: Arceus releases.
With that in mind, will the whole "Pokémon and humans used to marry" thing be present in the game? Will there be breeding (between Pokémon, of course)?

Technomage

I have a feeling that's gonna be subtly retconned
Or at least reduced to being implied rather than blatantly shown. Then again, that may have been something only done in the more distant past (where Pokes and humans are implied to be one and the same).

Manbis

I am the only one who finds "Team Galaxy" a really weird name. Galaxy doesnt sound like a word which was used 300-500 years ago? I think the developers try to hard to make everything connected to sinnoh with all the ancestors etc....

Ultra Beast Lover

I am the only one who finds "Team Galaxy" a really weird name. Galaxy doesnt sound like a word which was used 300-500 years ago? I think the developers try to hard to make everything connected to sinnoh with all the ancestors etc....
The term galaxy was used in the 14th century at least, possibly even before that, for instance here is a 14th century poem:

See yonder, lo, the galaxy,

which they call the Milky Way,

because it is white

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/word-history-of-galaxy. It's not like galaxy is referring to modern technology or something recent

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Good thing Legends seems to be set only around 150 years ago.

^This

Everything in the game points to the game's setting being a Pokemon version of Hokkaido's Meiji Restoration era in the early 1860s. Hence such things as gas lamps, steam powered tech and settlers coming over to the region via boats and the like.

This is not Feudal Japan.

As for the Arc Phone, many I know want time shenanigans I honestly think its just that Arceus made just cuz so the mechanic would be in the game. Nothing more.

G-SANtos

There's something I've been thinking about for some time. Shimaboshi (Cyllene), whose means "moon", and the Survey Corps wear silvery, moon-colored uniforms. Meanwhile, the Security Corps wear orange, sun-colored uniforms. I've been expecting for some time that the Security Captain would be named after the sun.
And some months ago I learned there were French soldiers in Hokkaido in the 1860's, which lead me to think the Security Captain might be from Kalos, due to Team Flare being sun-themed. So, the Security Captain might be named Soleil.

In fact, if my "Kalos game in 2023" theory is correct, this Captain be a hint.

Also, I learned about a creature from Ainu myths named Kenas-unarpe. Here are the articles.
-English Wikipedia
-Japanese Wikipedia
The English and Japanese articles are drastically different. Here is a translation of the Japanese.

Kenas-kor-unarpe is a monster in Ainu tradition.

Summary
Her name means "old woman of the tree field", and is used in the Iburi region and Saru District. She is also known as Kenas-unarpe, which means "old lady of the plains", Nitat-unarbe, which means "old lady of the marsh", and other names, and in the Teshio region she is called Iwameteyep, which means "demon of the mountain".

She is a monster that lives in places such as tree hollows or willow fields in riverbanks. She has loose and disheveled hair, and a darkened face that has no eyes or mouth, only a nose that resembles a thumb. Because she was said to live in willow fields near riverbanks, people were warned against spending the night in such places.

She can control bears, and was said to use them to attack mountain hunters. Because of that, when an originally virtuous animal like a bear attacked a person, it was considered to be this monster's doing.

Legend
This is a story from hamlets in Nibutani, Saru District. A man found a stray bear cub in the mountains and put it in a cage in his house. At night, Kenas-kor-unarpe appeared in front of the cage. The cub transformed into a bald boy in front of the man's eyes, and started to dance to the rhythm of Kenas-kor-unarpe's claps. The man then killed the cub to exorcise it and the corpse turned into a squirrel.
So, what does this have to do with anything?
Well, I've noticed some time ago that Denboku (Kamado) wears black, white, and yellow, the colors of Urshifu. Denboku's name comes from "raidenboku" (雷電木), which literally means "thunder tree". Urshifu's two forms are Single Strike Style (Ichigeki no Kata) and Rapid Strike Style (Rengeki no Kata), and the Japanese word for "lightning" is "dengeki" (電撃). Based on that, I've been speculating he might have a new Electric-type Urshifu form.

And when I found out about Kenas-unarpe, I remembered the colors of his clothes, and thought there might be a Kenas-unarpe character pulling strings, with Denboku being the metaphorical bear manipulated by them. I think this character might be the Security Captain, because of Kenas-unarpe's description in the Japanese article.
Kenas-unarpe has no eyes or mouth. If the Security Captain wears sunglasses like Team Flare, and has their mouth covered by a scarf or a turtleneck, they would match Kenas-unarpe's description. This could also mean the Security Captain is a woman, because Kenas-unarpe is female.

Another reason I'm thinking of Denboku as relating to a bear is the Four Symbols[/ur]. There is [url=https://twitter.com/Nintendokusou/status/1429319608218136578]a theory proposed by Eduardo from Nintendokusou about there being a new Legendary quartet composed of the Four Symbols animals, with Arceus on the center due to being a kirin. And it might be correct, because there is a Chinese rumor from September about the Forces of Nature getting Hisuian forms which form a quartet with a new turtle Legendary. The Chinese are treating it as confirmed from what I heard.

Anyway, even before the Chinese rumor, I've been thinking about the Four Symbols because of something mentioned in their Wikipedia page. According to an ancient document (quoted and translated in page 13 of this PDF), Yu the Great gave directional banners to his people, marking the north with a bird, the south with a snake, the east with the sun, the west with the moon, and the center with a bear. This somewhat implies those were an alternate configuration of the Four Symbols.
With Denboku wearing the same colors as Urshifu, the Survet Corps wearing moon colors, and the Security Corps wearing sun colors, I've been thinking the Galaxy Team might also have a Four Symbols motif, with Denboku and the Captains each being equated to a symbol. This could mean there's a secret fourth division, but I can't think of what they would be about. Personally, I think the Medical Corps Captain would be the bird, and the secret fourth Captain would be the snake.

There's also a comparizon you could make with Japanese gods. Susanoo is the god of thunder and storms, Amaterasu is the goddess of the sun, Tsukuyomi is the god of the moon, and Ame-no-Uzume is the goddess of dawn. Susanoo, Amaterasu, and Tsukuyomi are siblings, while Ame-no-Uzume is Susanoo's wife. And there's also Orochi, an eight-headed snake slayed by Susanoo.
Susanoo fits Denboku's thundery name, Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi fit the sun and moon. Ame-no-Uzume doesn't fit perfectly, but "Uzume" is similar to "suzume", which means "sparrow", and Orochi is a snake. With this you can fit the Galaxy Team into both Shinto and Four Symbols motifs, and parallel Hisui's Legendaries.

Completely unrelated to all this, but I think the mysterious Noble looked after by Hinatsu (Arezu) is a Hisuian Slurpuff. The pink thing on its head fits the face on her bracelet. Why I'm guessing Slurpuff is a long story that I'll not detail, but I'll say it's not my first theory. My original theory was a new Spoink evolution.

Speaking of that kind of thing, I remember hearing some (obviously fake) rumor about a Hisuian Mewtwo showing up in the game. I struggle to comprehend how an artificial Pokemon cloned from another Pokemon in the modern era Kanto region could have a regional variant in ancient Hisui
Aliens. Any civilization capable of space travel would necessarily have more advanced technology than the people from PLA's time, would perfectly explain anachronistic technology, and would be less predictable than time travel, which a lot of people are theorizing about, but I myself.
After Ultra Beasts, Ultra Recon Squad, and Eternatus, do you honestly think a game about a group with "galaxy" in the name won't somehow involve space or aliens?

That said, Hisuian Mewtwo was probably just someone trolling Centro and he falling for it.

The Pokémon that definitely won’t be in the game due to being technologically advanced or man made are Type:Null/Silvally, the Porygon line, Mewtwo, the Galarian fossils, and Castform. The other fossils and Genesect could be possible if they are explained to be hiding in a very remote area that humans rarely visit. This could be the one chance to see what Genesect originally looked like. Magearna could possibly be found in Hisui. And Voltorb and Electrode could easily be found looking like different spherical objects.
Funnily enough, there's a theory in the Japanese fandom that the Galarian fossils were living weapons created for the Kalos War, and that's the reason the fossils can be combined at all.

I don't remember Castform being artificial. In fact, I think I read a discussion some time ago and it they found no evidence of Castform being artificial.

While the idea of Porygon being based on an extinct Pokémon is interesting, I don't think we'll see it in PLA. Maybe another Legends game.

Genesect's original form I think might be left for an Unova Legends game. Or maybe for a future Legends: Celebi, because a time travel plot would allow them to show a past even more ancient than any other story.

Magearna being found in a Japanese region actually makes sense because it is a karakuri.

With that in mind, will the whole "Pokémon and humans used to marry" thing be present in the game?
I say there's probably going to be a married couple with a child that looks a lot like N, and one of the parents is going to be revealed to be a Zoroark. This is probably going to be the explanation for that myth.

Or at least reduced to being implied rather than blatantly shown. Then again, that may have been something only done in the more distant past (where Pokes and humans are implied to be one and the same).
Actually, considering Yone (Mai) and her Munchlax were raised like siblings, I think this might still be the correct time period. I think a human having a Pokémon raised like their sibling implies humans and Pokémon are still seen as the same.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Castform is definitely a man made Pokémon that isn’t artificial like Porygon but rather living like Mewtwo or Type:Null. The scientist at the Hoenn Weather Institute clearly states this after he gives you one.