• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legit places to buy cards?

Guardian Spirit Raina

I've recently gotten back into the TCG, and I'd like to be able to buy cards from the gens I missed to get my collection back up. But... buying on the internet feels shady, and I don't know how to tell if cards are legit or not.

What are some good places to buy legit cards?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Well for a start, what part of the world are you in right now?
And second; Booster packs retail for $3.79USD. It is possible to find packs for as cheap as $2 each (with the store only making a few cents each) But if you find packs for under $2 each then re-think buying it. IIRC cost for booster packs in about $1.90. So if someone is selling them for less than that then something is wrong. No-one wants to lose money when they sell something.

Guardian Spirit Raina

I'm in the States. But I'm mostly looking for old cards to boost my collection during the time that I missed, so...

Craigslist and eBay are both fine and nice, but as far as I know, don't they both have sort of dubious reputations? With the games, at least, I've seen lots of counterfeit carts. But I don't know how to tell a counterfeit card very well...

Dont be so suspicious of ebay/craigslist. The fake card issue is not as great as fake video games. In my experience there is a much bigger risk of getting fakes at corner shops (and the booster pack packaging is identical).

I am also getting back into tcg and trying to complete all the sets i missed. That would be almost impossible to do w/o the internet, because I dont think stores are legally meant to sell those anymore. You may find old sets in dodgy/cheap stores, but then again that is where you are most likely to find fakes.

My advice is just try ebay, and you will find it reliable. Probably only buy from US if you are unsure. ;123;

Tiomasta

Not amused
But I'm mostly looking for old cards to boost my collection during the time that I missed, so...

Old cards?
If you're collecting them it's fine, but lots of people seem to say that the new cards are outclassing the old ones. Except for some trainers.

Guardian Spirit Raina

I don't actually play. I collect. So I really wouldn't know.

Are there anythings to look for in counterfeit cards? It makes me feel better to know that it isn't such an issue, but I'm paranoid. >.>

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'd suggest game stores, like the kinds who sell Dungeons and Dragons. If they order from Nintendo, things should be fine.

Also, if you order from eBay, the seller known as brianjapan is one of the best out there. But he deals in mostly Japanese cards, so you know.

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
I still find really old packs in the Doller box at Target =D Try e-bay!

Shuckle the Snail

<--1400 Eggs so far
My local comic store still sells every single pack ever made. I dont kn ow how they keep them in stock they sat no one buys them so yeah haha. But they are 100% legit.

I don't actually play. I collect. So I really wouldn't know.

Are there anythings to look for in counterfeit cards? It makes me feel better to know that it isn't such an issue, but I'm paranoid. >.>

The problem with buying old boosters is that the cards are inside, so you cant tell until you've bought them. Ebay pictures will sometimes be good enough so that you can determine if its legit.

Signs:

Fakes cards are kind of glossy, and more slidey when you touch them (but its subtle). In my experience with recent fakes, they dont use holofoil for the holographic cards. This is a really obvious one if you have a card that should be holo and its normal. Another sign (if youre getting a booster) is that they will put more than the usual 1 rare card in. Sometimes there is up to 5 or so rares, and its pretty obvious. Also the energy symbols on fakes will be less clear, and take up more of the image (see here).

But on ebay, you can just buy from a big trading card store and they will always sell legit.

Guardian Spirit Raina

Are there places you can buy full sets (legitly, of course) on eBay? Or is that risky because in my experience it's easier to tell when a card is fake when you look at the card individually.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab

Johto Champion
I remember when the TCG was booming, a lot of people at my school ordered their cards online from Pokeorder. I recently checked that website and to my surprise they were still up and running! If you order a certain amount I think over $40 then shipping is free but only if you live in the USA. International people will have to pay shipping. :( I'm planning on ordering from that site when I visit my cousin in Denver but has anyone here ordered from them?

I stumbled upon Pokeorder, too. I was wondering how the prices/legality were as well...

In my opinion, if you want to buy full sets from pokeorder they are very expensive with high postage. But they do have a lot of cards available.

Full sets generally go cheaper on ebay, and once again I urge you to consider ebay. If you buy from one of those massive tcg stores (or a store devoted to pokemon tcg) they always sell 100% genuine cards. Just make sure they arent shipping from Asia and they have a high feedback and there is virtually no risk. ;123;