• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Less Is Morrison (395)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Less Is Morrison

On the way to Slateport City for the Grand Festival, Ash & Co. meet a guy called Masamune who has a Beldum. This trainer quickly challenges Ash to a battle after seeeing that Ash has collected all 8 badges. Ash accepts the battle and starts battling Masamune...will he win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
A guy with a Pokemon that can only ram things. Not all that impressive.

I was hoping for Beldum to evolve but maybe in the future.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
This episode was hilarious, I liked it a lot^^ Also, Masamune's voice fits his look perfectly. The only point I didn't like was that Ash used Pikachu again in the battle .. Torkoal would have been a really good choice, I haven't seen it in action for a while.

EDIT: Forgotten one more thing I really liked about that ep... "Rival!" could be heard as BGM, I love that song^^

Last edited:
M

Misty4ever

It should be long time ago.... Finally something about Ash (not May and May and May all the time). May has met many rivals and Ash almost nobody.
Its nice to see Ash with someone like Masamune. I still remember his first rival - Samurai from Kanto. Masamune is little like that.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
LOL! Boy, has my opinion changed upon seeing this episode. When I first saw the preview, my initial reaction was that Masamune was one of the ugliest characters in the whole series. I'm all like "Oh god, don't tell me this will be Satoshi's main rival in the Houen league!"

When I actually saw the episode, though, the way he was in competition with Satoshi over every little thing seemed pretty cute and allowed me to see past his appearance I got from the preview. To add icing to the cake, he was voiced by Nozawa Masako (Son Gokuu and his sons, Guilmon and his evolutions), a seiyuu known for..... well, mainly as the voice of Dragon Ball's main character. But I like her for being able to do characters who are so innocently naive at some times, and fierce yet noble fighters at others. All in all, I'm now anticipating seeing this guy again at the league.

JazzJazz

Misty4ever said:
It should be long time ago.... Finally something about Ash (not May and May and May all the time). May has met many rivals and Ash almost nobody.
Its nice to see Ash with someone like Masamune. I still remember his first rival - Samurai from Kanto. Masamune is little like that.

I think they had to hurry up and finish May's contest storyline, hence the large focus on her of late... after the festival it'll probably be Ash and Ash and Ash all the time.

PDL

disenchanted
am I the only one who thinks that Masamune looks like a fatter, uglier misty?

not saying that's a bad thing... but... the hairstyle does look familiar...

V Faction

www.faction.com
A sunset good-bye? My, I wasn't expecting that.

Damn it, couldn't Masamune have stayed just a little bit longer? Maybe evolved Beldum? "Bai Bai!" Boo.

N

Necrox

He,me too...LOL.

Anyway,the episode was hilarious and good,the Masamune guy and the rival thing,made me thing about the league and Ash main rival there.

Meh,i would like to see other pokemon than Pikachu in action,but after all,it was a good episode...

Space Skitty

Hoenn Champion
This episode was funnier then I thought it would be. Masamune was a pretty funny guy! (I agree with the statement about him & Misty. I thought the same thing! XD) It's great to see Ash getting pushed again. He needed some competition. He was starting to get a little lazy. XD I thought the two had a real nice rivalry going. I hope Masamune shows up at the Hoenn League.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
V Faction said:
A sunset good-bye? My, I wasn't expecting that.
Yeah, those are just too rare to call :p

Shining Espeon said:
Whoa, is that Cacnea using an attack other than Pin Missile? (If there was another time Cacnea used Sandstorm, please correct me)
Wow...where have you been? As of now, Cacnea knows Pin Missle, Needle Arm, and Sandstorm. Yes, Cacnea has used Sandstorm before, quite a bit actually. If I recall correctly, it was first used in the Zangoose Episode.

What the eff? Why is everyone swooning over this episode? I HATED it! HORRIBLE filler character of the day, boring plot, it all adds up. Okay, I'll start off with Masamune. Probably one of the worst Filler Characters ever. Ugly, Fat, Obnoxious, I wanted to shoot the screen. I dont know about you guys, but this doesn't appeal to me all that much -.-o And the plot? Blech. Ash meets Rival. Rival wants to be better then Ash in everything. Ash and Rival have battle. Ash and Rival compete in various, stupid, trivial, boring activities. Team Rocket interferes. Ash and Rival work together and beat Team Rocket. Ash says a sunset goodbye to Rival. Wow...intense *sarcasm* e_e

Another thing. The Beldum Line is popular and prestigious. So what do the writers do? They give Beldum to a fat, impulsive, jungle boy. Gross. A scientist, nerd, or snobby kid would be MUCH more fitting.

The only remotely entertaining part of this episode was when Gonbe stole Team Rocket's Popcorn Ball and they though that one of them had stolen it. Fun.

Overall: SNORING! -2,000,000/10

Last edited:
M

Misty4ever

Masamune is red haired but he is not like Misty }:< Misty is much much much prettier.
I hope, writers have nothing against her *scared*
I agree, he is ugly and fat and his hair... o.o but not all anime characters must be pretty.

TeddiUrsa

I liked Masamune, he was something different to the thin, normal looking charactes from the past ( Harrison´s design was terrible when you think about it...) but his beldum was...boring..I don t like the beldum line very much ( I can t stand most steel pokemon) but this thing should evolve before the league ( if masamune comes back later, what should be very possible, because they used a popular seiyuu for him( I thought I knew his voice before..thank you yamato-san ^^)) because only take down isn t enough for an intersting battle.

And it seems like Harukas Gonbe problem ( his hunger) is solved because of her Haruka´s Deliscious II (which seem to be imrpoved by Ookido-Hakase) make her gonbe full ^^

MaskedManAbsolkid

EvilKeckleon said:

not saying that's a bad thing... but... the hairstyle does look familiar...

Me Too.

They could've had a more unique storyline for it.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
-Oh for gods sake Snorunt, just learn Ice Beam already. Surely it can't be THAT difficult to master. At least train it in a different fashion instead of just constantly ordering it to use the attack.

-Gonbe is just tending to annoy me rather than actually make me laugh. Stealing other people's food has been done to death, as has running off unannounced. I really do hope this 'gag' isn't featured in every future episode. And at the moment, it appears the only reason Gonbe is going to be around is to be a guinea-pig for testing pokéblocks. Pointless ~.~;

-They're STILL insistng on playing those awfully crappy pieces of music throughout the episode and the question of 'Why?' springs to mind. They've got a great back-catalog of music and some themes from the games that they are yet to use, so wtf?. I never thought I'd say this, but the music in the japanese version has been going steadily downhill over the past few months. Although, I have to say the use of 'Rival' during Masamune and Ash's competative activities was a pleasent surprise.

Complaints done and dusted. Overall, I didn't find this episode to be all that spectacular, but it wasn't too terrible either. I actually really liked Masamune as a character. Its nice for Ash to have a rival that can can provide a few laughs for us, and one that doesn't have that typical snobbish/tough-guy type of appearence. I found all of Ash and Masamune's competative little skits to be rather amusing ^^ Although, I really do wish that he'd stayed a proper rival until the end, instead of becoming more of a friend. That was disapointing~
You know, I never actually realised how down-right creepy Beldum was until I watched this episode. Its bellowing voice, the way it just rams into things, the fact that its basically a floating arm with an eye. It all equates to creepy. I hope it evolves if Masamune is going to battle in the league. Take Down would get old, fast.

Team Rocket's attack on the two trainers was pretty awesome. The last time I remember anyone being attacked by a pokémon directly like that was in the "Bulbasuar! Regain the pokéballs!" episode, in which Ash was punched in the face by a Primeape (which I assume will be edited). The way that Ash and Masanume were able to tackle a freakin' Seviper and send it flying through the air was just stupid though. Cacnea I could understand, but not Seviper...I know its a cartoon, but geeze >.>;

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Oh for gods sake Snorunt, just learn Ice Beam already. Surely it can't be THAT difficult to master. At least train it in a different fashion instead of just constantly ordering it to use the attack
I'm begining to suspect that Snorunt knows how to use Ice Beam already, but it likes to make trouble with it by freezing things it shouldn't(ex. Ash, stretches of ground that people will slip on, etc...), and Ash thinks that Snorunt's freezing of random things just shows that it hasn't mastered Ice Beam yet. Snorunt is a bit of a troublemaker, after all.

Flygone

Volcano Trainer
I liked Masamune as a character. He provided us with a few laughs, he isn't the typical cool guy and his rivalry with Ash brought back the competitive, slightly immature, 'Kanto' Ash back which I liked. It's nice to see that Ash finally gets a new rival. As for beldum, if Masamune is going to appear again, I'm sure Beldum will be evolved to be a more difficult opponent and to at least have more than 1 move. I found this a nice epi, 8,5/10.

E

Ethereal

Hmm...Just saw the ep...It wasn't too great, but it wasn't awful...It was just a decent or barely passing semi-filler ep.

-Yeah, I see the complaints Gravy and Edward Elric are having with the music....It's as if 4Kids asked, "Hey guys. We're a bunch of lazy b******s. Could you make some American sounding music for us?".

-Still not convinced that the rival is a man. I think it's either a woman, or an androgynous thing with an unknown gender voice. I SERIOUSLY can't tell what that thing is supposed to be.

-Beldum's voice was COOL. ^_^ I liked it. The dubbers better not screw it up too much. The least they could do is keep that little echo in the voice.

-Munchlax is as cute as always. ^_^ Say whatever the hell you want, but I LOVE Munchlax. I don't even know why. I don't too much care for Snorlax, but I LOVE Munchlax. I know the "eats everything in sight" and the "randomly running off" thing has been done countless other times, but I just think Munchlax is cute and funny. So sue me. :\

Overall Rating: 6/10. Nothing too special in the ep, but it wasn't bad.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Jynxie, I think the fact that Masamune was in the same bathroom as Satoshi was evidence enough that it is indeed a male, or at least good enough without getting into certain issues a children's show would stray away from.