• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lesser known or popular?

Autis-misc

Abridger
which type of anime is more exciting to your likes? Anime that not many people know about or anime that everyone watches? which is better(to add a discussion topic before this thread dies)?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It just depends on what some people say on that particular anime, popular or obscure. I generally don't watch certain anime unless people explain it (reviews are good examples of this, this is how I got into Monster), recommends it to me (happened with CLANNAD and Higurashi), or simply says, "It must be seen to be believed." (I believe this was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, though it was a review as well.)

This goes for all anime, even if the anime is horrendous, since I'm a big schmuck like that.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Hmm...this is the perfect set-up to point fingers and call people idiots.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Why would how popular an anime is affect your judgment on it.

If a anime is good, then it's good. If it sucks, then it sucks.

I was only slightly going for that typical response.

although, I was trying to say: do you watch lesser known anime or popular anime more than the other?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I watch what I think is good depending on the genre. I don't care how known it is. It's always good to have a good recommendation but I'm not going to pass it up because there is similar show that more people like.

Kinda like Clannad vs Ef: Tales of Memories. Both are great shows, same drama, same genre, pretty much equal. More people like Clannad, while "few" have heard of the Ef series. But I'm not going to pick one over the other to watch.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Kinda like Clannad vs Ef: Tales of Memories. Both are great shows, same drama, same genre, pretty much equal. More people like Clannad, while "few" have heard of the Ef series. But I'm not going to pick one over the other to watch.

I saw that Ef show on your top ten, got me a bit interested.

Also, I tend to watch a lot of popular shows so I only have a few lesser known ones. I think Kaiji is unpopular right?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Popularity has no bearing on quality, only how many people have watched it and how many people are likely to watch it.

Think about the worst series you know that's popular. Just something you don't get why any of those stupid bozos in the medium's fandom could possibly ever watch. I'm sure there's something like that for each and every one of you. Would it be a higher quality series if nobody knew about it? Would it be a lesser-quality series if nobody knew about it?

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Natsume Yuujinchou~~~

Popular or not I'm willing to give any show a try. That said, popular anime have a greater chance of registering on my radar though, by virtue of them getting more press/publicity.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Popularity has no bearing on quality, only how many people have watched it and how many people are likely to watch it.

Think about the worst series you know that's popular. Just something you don't get why any of those stupid bozos in the medium's fandom could possibly ever watch. I'm sure there's something like that for each and every one of you. Would it be a higher quality series if nobody knew about it? Would it be a lesser-quality series if nobody knew about it?

think about this: how many people have heard of dinosaur king Dokkoida or Taisho baseball girls?

Fairy tail is also popular, but isn't that great, but i still watch it. I just like watching Lesser known anime's more because I know I can get people who haven't watched it to watch it, not about how great it is or the quality. that wasn't the point of it, it was just to add discussion to the topic.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
think about this: how many people have heard of dinosaur king Dokkoida or Taisho baseball girls?

Your question though was which is better, quality does not always = popularity, if it did things like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ etc. Would be better than something like Chihayafuru.

The plural of anime is anime, no need for the s.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
I just watch whatever I like. Some is well-known, some isn't. it's all down to personal preference really, not the popularity of said show.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I think it's worth noting that some of these titles are very well know in Japan.