• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lessons in Lilycove! (367)

Littlemyuu

i like the episode, Combusken attacks looked so cool ^_^

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great contest, one of my favorites in Hoenn.

May was very kind when she saved Grumpig, i loved this.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So it's time for May to compete in her 5th Contest and she's using Combusken? I would've thought she'd go with something a little more, graceful to be honest. I thought it's fireball appeal was pretty good though, all the judges thought so. Even Ash, who was outside with Swellow practicing Aerial Ace was watching and was praising the performance so I guess it went better than I thought. The rival girl this time around seemed to be surprised.

The rival girl and her Grumpig put on a better show though. Their combination of Pokeblock and psychic was almost flawless in beauty. Grumpig had exellent control, able to manipulate them into any size it wanted. So of course the judges loved it. Swellowed continued training but wasn't able to hit the mark, too bad. Jessie and Chimecho were great. Chimecho's sound based attacks seemed to soothe the crowd, then it's Astonish made everyone cover their ears in pain! I loved the contrast between softness and loudness and so did the judges (even giving it a PERFECT score!).

Thye battle rounds were cool, though I was disappointed that May versus Jessie only lasted a few seconds. Combusken really defeated Chimecho swiftly, probably because James never let it battle much before. Swellow did well and was able to gain mastery of Aerial Ace. The final battle between Grumpig and Combusken was terrible since both were evenly matched. The best move was Combusken's fire attack being manipulated into a dragon by Grumpig's psychic move! I'm glad May won, she deserved it. 6/10 for the lovely Contest in Lilycove City; Where the land ends, and the sea begins.

NES

Flip me to the side!
...And May did it! Combusken pull it off. A c'mon judge, that's not fair!

Even more when you realize how lame Kelly was with her appeal :/ what is everyone hypnotized? Talking about terrible Jessie was .... no wait she got a perfect score o_o!

Hahaha James was really concerned about his Chimecho!

And that's all, May had one clever victory typical of her.

I will call it a day for now, in my advanced challenge marathon!

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
This isn't a bad contest episode really. I liked May's fireball and how it turned a potential disaster into a very interesting move, I don't agree with that last judge May did pretty good turning it around.
It is odd that Jessie got a perfect score when she practically hurt Chimecho to do that, how May's score was lower I won't know. It was still good though James was funny poor guy really loves that Chimecho.

saar

Shiny Flygon
Grumpig is a strong pig but not strong enough to beat a powerfull pokemon like Combusken.
I didn't understand how Combusken's appeal was good enough to make it to the battle rounds. It was a pretty awful appeal, maybe the worst in Hoenn.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
This contest was rather enjoyable.

I liked the appeals and the Grumpig vs Combusken battle. I felt bad for Chimecho, it's just not built for battle.

Overall, this was a good episode.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. It was great seeing Combusken and its moves in the contest, it's moves are really cool and strong. I'm glad May and Combusken didn't panic when things went wrong with Fire Spin. It was funny when Jessie told Chimecho to use Double-Edge after James specifically ordered her not to use the attack. That Astonish attack is really crazy sounding. The battle between Combusken and Grumpig was great. I'm glad may won the contest.

79/100

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I couldn't think of a better thread to bring this up in, and it seemed to silly to make another thread for it, but I find it an odd inconsistency with the show that there doesn't seem to be a fixed rule about using objects in the appeal portion. Surely the Pokemon should solely be demonstrating its own powers? Or if objects are allowed, shouldn't it be a requirement? It seems trainers who use objects have an unfair advantage.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I couldn't think of a better thread to bring this up in, and it seemed to silly to make another thread for it, but I find it an odd inconsistency with the show that there doesn't seem to be a fixed rule about using objects in the appeal portion. Surely the Pokemon should solely be demonstrating its own powers? Or if objects are allowed, shouldn't it be a requirement? It seems trainers who use objects have an unfair advantage.

I think the objects have been allowed, May had Skitty juggling balls in an earlier appeal. Not to mention in that very first Contest they had a Venemoth pouring tea into a cup or stuff like that.

I guess either by showing off a Pokemon or doing a skill with it counted as a decent appeal.

Also, Bulba the Great, feels kind of odd rewatching these episodes now that you're older, isn't it? You have the memories from when you were younger but you see them in a different light now that you've aged so many years since you last watched them. :)

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Also, Bulba the Great, feels kind of odd rewatching these episodes now that you're older, isn't it? You have the memories from when you were younger but you see them in a different light now that you've aged so many years since you last watched them.

It's so bizarre. But it's also absolutely wonderful. I can be cynical, but nothing will ruin the fond memories I have of growing up a part of the Advanced Generation. Especially knowing where the anime's headed from here...it's like fondly going back and re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Once upon a time, that was the latest book available. Now it's the midway point, in many ways the turning point of the series.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It's so bizarre. But it's also absolutely wonderful. I can be cynical, but nothing will ruin the fond memories I have of growing up a part of the Advanced Generation. Especially knowing where the anime's headed from here...it's like fondly going back and re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Once upon a time, that was the latest book available. Now it's the midway point, in many ways the turning point of the series.

Probably also because its the last saga 4kids dubbed. Just curious, what are you going to do when you get up to Battle Frontier?

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Probably also because its the last saga 4kids dubbed. Just curious, what are you going to do when you get up to Battle Frontier?

Likely continue through D/P. I can't say in full honesty that I agree with the voice cast change, and I certainly remember when Ms. Blaustein joined the message boards after the switch, and how much I fought to have 4Kids come back. But I don't loathe PUSA and I would like to find out what happened in the black hole of my memory that is D/P.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Likely continue through D/P. I can't say in full honesty that I agree with the voice cast change, and I certainly remember when Ms. Blaustein joined the message boards after the switch, and how much I fought to have 4Kids come back. But I don't loathe PUSA and I would like to find out what happened in the black hole of my memory that is D/P.

Well DP was a good series overall, so you'll probably enjoy it. That being said Ash's voice does improve in the DP era, its really only pretty bad during most of Battle Frontier.

Vernikova

Champion
Bad final battle. So let me get this straight: Kelly couldn't use Grumpig's Psychic attack on Combusken's Flamethrower because it wasn't aimed directly at it? No writers. That was painful to watch for so many reasons. Also, I like how Combusken's indirect flames knocked Grumpig out before Grumpig's super-effective Psychic attack knocked out Combusken.

It must've been painful for the writers to focus on Swellow for two episodes considering the lack of focus it gets. Just to master Aerial Ace.

7threst

I loved how Jessie handled Chimecho and even got a perfect score with it. Seeing both Kelly and May during the contest was awesome and this is another good contests and I especially liked the battle with May and her Combusken. I also loved the small sub-plot with Ash trying to teach his Swellow Aerial Ace and doing it perfect at the end of the episode.

Again, what needs to happen to impress some of you? -_-

Glad that May was able to turn her appeal around from imminent disaster. :)
That fire Dragon Kelly's Grumpig made was simply epic!

Glad May finally won her 3rd contest ribbon. :)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Combusken and May overcoming their mistake was cool and Jessie and Chimecho impressed me so much since their appeal was able to get a perfect score. ^^; I was mostly thrilled to see May win the ribbon.