• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's all recommend obscure music!

Korusan

Banned
So I'm trying to broaden my musical horizons but I'm having a bit of difficulty getting a kick start. I'm sure there's many people on the site kind of like me so this just might be a useful thread!

Basically, just post about songs that aren't really in the limelight as much as anything else you'd see or hear on the radio. I suppose obscure is a pretty vague term but I'm sure we can all dig something up for one another! I don't think genre really matters but I'll just kick this off with some rocky stuff:

The High Road - Broken Bells: This comes on very occasionally on a local alternative station but if hadn't been for that I don't think I'd have ever found it. Pretty sure it's from their first album and I think it's just swell. Definitely worth a listen!

A Swallow Song - Richard and Mimi Farina: Stumbled across this on another forum and I love this absolute hell out of it. It's kind of a hippie rock tune but if you can get down with that you're in for a treat.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I'm more into albums, so I'll recommend albums instead if that's ok. Also some of these might not seem obscure to some, but just remember they will to others.

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Its hard to pin down their sound, some say its shoegaze, some say black metal, I;d say it was neither but has elements of both.

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Best album of 2010 in my opinion. Emotive atmospheric rock at its best.

Astra - The Weirding
Probably the best modern prog rock band there is. Sounds unashamedly 70's, but in a really good way.

Autumn's Grey Solace - Within the Depths of a Darkened Forest
Lovely dream pop. Think acoustic shoegaze and your looking at something similar to this.

Branikald - Хладавзор
Black Metal that's very raw and bordering on Ambient at times. There are some lovely mellodies hidden behind those walls of fuzz.

Ceremony - Rocket Fire
Shoegaze album from last year. Really distorted guitars, and lovely melodic vocals underneath. I think there is a hint of the Cure in their sound.

The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
One of the few more modern death metal albums I've liked. Really atmospheric stuff.

Cloaca - Lassitude
Its like Post Rock, but played by a metal band, its quite hard to describe, but really good. Lots of repetition and building up huge walls of sound.

Drudkh - Blood in our Wells
Atmospheric Black metal. A really really good album I think I could be in the mood for at any time.

Dub Buk - Иду на вы!
Melodic Black metal, but with some really interesting synth parts.

Electrocution - Inside the Unreal
Arguably the best Death metal album ever.

Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs
Imagine ethereal sounding chill out music with lots of ethnic instruments, fused with hip hop beats. Really good stuff.

I'll leave it there for now as I'm going out soon, but I may add more tomorrow.

I'm gonna post bands that I like if that's okay. I'm a fan of "That One Band from That One Town You've Never Heard Of," "We Play Music That Reflects Our Rage Against Deforestation," "Your Tastes Are Just Too 'Low Brow' to Like Us" and "Your Friends Would Tell You About Us but You Just Wouldn't Get It." Good stuff, especially when you listen to them while writing your novel at Starbucks.

This thread is a honeypot for hipsters.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I'm gonna post bands that I like if that's okay. I'm a fan of "That One Band from That One Town You've Never Heard Of," "We Play Music That Reflects Our Rage Against Deforestation," "Your Tastes Are Just Too 'Low Brow' to Like Us" and "Your Friends Would Tell You About Us but You Just Wouldn't Get It." Good stuff, especially when you listen to them while writing your novel at Starbucks.

This thread is a honeypot for hipsters.

I lol'd. Very true.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Ghosts by Siobhan Donaghy and Perpetual Desolation by The Sins Of Thy Beloved are both obscure and beautiful masterpieces. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance soundtrack is also a masterpiece, I love the Vivaldi adaptions to them. The soundtrack itself seems to be out of print but the film is still around to purchase.

If you like Bjork, then I think you may also like Klaus Nomi. He's a counter-soprano who has a lot of theatrical songs which are really experimental and sound very much ahead of it's time. It's a shame he's passed away.

Just out of interest, how are we defining hipster?

Indie punks.

One of the more obscure ones I really ended up liking was Sleigh Bells. They only have one album, Treats, and I thought it was going to be a bit too grungy for my tastes but I love it all.

This and Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix are near perfect albums, I think. Not a bad tune in either of them.

Yeah a friend of mine started getting me into more Indie and less mainstream stuff, but even then it's not all that obscure. Cure Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Metric, The Helio Sequence, MGMT, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

Bleh music is not my forte but I can hold my own at least. Sue me.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Stay by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. Though the song has been remade various times by more famous bands/singers (Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and Jackson Browne), the original is still the best.

Anything covered by Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester counts too. But the songs themselves (Follow Me, Lucky, Sex Bomb, Bongo Bong, All Around the World etc.) are quite well know so I'm not sure if they count. But they've also done some pretty damn good original songs aswell.

Bobtron

ERR:SYNTAX
I'm not really sure what you people define as 'obscure', but I'll offer this artist. The artist's name is Aphex Twin. He also has gone by the following names: AFX, Polygon Window, Caustic Window, Power-Pill, Bradley Strider, to name a few.

I can't really think of just one song, all the ones he does are good in my opinion. The first time I heard his music was in the 2006 movie Grandma's Boy (in the scene where J.P. in his office listening to the 'robot ears' music when the asian guy comes in to give him a suggestion, that track is one of his songs, it's called 'Windowlicker') Anyways, there you go.

Last edited:

kochoupink

butts lol
Horse feathers.

"Thistled Spring" is our new wake-up song.

Rave

Banned
Undercover of Darkness by The Strokes.

Yeah... I'm pretty up to date.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
The Alan Parsons Project have two great songs, "Eye in the Sky" and "Turn of a Friendly Card (Both Parts)". Eye in the Sky is just beautifully composed and I think Turn of a Friendly Card (Both Parts) is one of the most sublime works out there.

Last edited: