• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's all recommend obscure music!

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Jakob

"Jakob is a New Zealand post-rock band, based in the Hawkes Bay city of Napier. The band consists of guitarist Jeff Boyle; bassist Maurice Beckett; and drummer Jason Johnston. They have been compared to such bands as Mogwai, Sonic Youth, and HDU, though they largely eschew any vocals or samples in their songs."

Some notable songs include Semaphore, Skew Aard, Malachite and Pneumonic, but all their stuff is great imo

first learned about them when I saw them open for tool, I had ordered all their albums within a week

I'm not really sure what you people define as 'obscure', but I'll offer this artist. The artist's name is Aphex Twin.

Stone In Focus from Selected Ambient Works II is the only Aphex Twin song that I've heard that I like, it's fantastic (but not for everyone)

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Mainly because I've got it on at the moment and received a 28cmx28cm Artbook edition of the album today. I'm going to reccomend

Les Discrets - Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées
lesdiscrets_septembre.jpg

Its like a mixture of Dream Pop, Black Metal, Shoegaze, Post Rock and Folk, mixed into their own unique sound. Its a bit of concept album about the idea of lovers being reunited after death. There's 3 sections, Nature, Love and Death.
As you may have guessed they sing in French, but it sounds really nice, and is almost ethereal at times, and it's as if the language barrier doesn't matter cause it sounds so nice, and evokes feelings so well. Probably my second favourite album of 2010. Very Highly recommended.

cazatron

it baffles me just how many people have no clue how amazing Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are :S
oh also Shinedown are i guess pretty obscure, they're too metal to be grunge and too bluesy to be metal check out their song second chance

Korusan

Banned
Someone mentioned King Crimson earlier and I have to back them up saying they're really, really good. I've only listened to their first album, Red, and some other tracks from whichever but I'm trying to get into some of their other stuff now. Thanks for reminding me!

I love how half of this thread is basically the membership wiping its asses with hipsters. It's just so... I don't know, hilarious.

King Crimson

Basically this. If you can named more albums than In the Court of the Crimson King and Red, you're pretty close to being a superhero, I'm sure.

I'd also recommend Marillion and Rasputina, but I'm not sure how obscure those are anymore.

Armando Payne

Polarity Switch is a rap album by the Rap Critic. But for some reason he's called himself Masta Artisan. It's quite obscure considering it's just been released. And it's a rap debut album, and stuff like that. Still, listen to him.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Anything by Dr. Dimento (spelling may be wrong). "Fishsticks" is one of his classics, along with "Shaving Cream"

Fishsticks? Don't you mean Fish Heads? Haha, I agree. Dr. Demento's songs are just plain brilliant. Some of them are too sick and twisted for my taste, but others are wonderfully silly, and others nerdy. I really like Star Trekkin', Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah, and Marvin, I Love You. The latter is actually one of my favourite songs overall.

While we're on the subject of outer space, one day while looking up some artist, I came across a compilation album called "To Touch the Stars", which had some interesting songs celebrating space exploration. My favourite songs on there are Witnesses' Waltz and Surprise!

Some of McCartney's less popular singles are actually his best.

"Let Me Roll It" features a nice, crunchy lick; "Maybe I'm Amazed", "My Love", "London Town", and "Mull of Kintyre" are all well deserving of your listening as well.

"I'm Looking Through You" was never released as a single, but it's a one of The Beatles' better songs.

None of these are terribly obscure. There really isn't any obscure music out there that's any good.

luxrayshock

Fishsticks? Don't you mean Fish Heads? Haha, I agree. Dr. Demento's songs are just plain brilliant. Some of them are too sick and twisted for my taste, but others are wonderfully silly, and others nerdy. I really like Star Trekkin', Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah, and Marvin, I Love You. The latter is actually one of my favourite songs overall.

While we're on the subject of outer space, one day while looking up some artist, I came across a compilation album called "To Touch the Stars", which had some interesting songs celebrating space exploration. My favourite songs on there are Witnesses' Waltz and Surprise!

yes i did mean fishheads haha. Shows how long it's been since he creeped me out with his lyrical madness.

Skull-Kid

Undercover of Darkness by The Strokes.

Yeah... I'm pretty up to date.

The Strokes = Win

I would recommend anyone to listen the album Astro Coast by Surfer Blood. They're an indie rock band if anyone was wondering.

Some notable songs include:

-Swim
-Floating Vibes
-Harmonix
-Neighbour Riffs

Skodin03790

Juggalo Trainer
Try Axe Murder Boyz, here are some notable songs:
"Body In A Hole", "God's Hand Killers", "Heatseeker", "Funky Disfunction", "I Stay Wicked".

They are a very religous group. But they're not like gospel. They talk about killing demons and stuff. They're my favourite band and have the best rapping skills of anyone I've heard.

Grei

not the color
"Crystalised" by The xx.

If you haven't heard it, you need to Youtube it. It's really serene, but it keeps your attention. Their whole album is the perfect music to fall asleep to.

I liked it. You're right--it does keep your attention, even though it never gets super-intense.

I youtubed it. Listening to it while watching cazatron's signature is fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_kci9-mqg

Heheh.

I agree. Dr. Dimento is awesome. I really like "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun."

None of these are terribly obscure. There really isn't any obscure music out there that's any good.

That makes sense. They're obscure for a reason.

That makes sense. They're obscure for a reason.

because everything obscure is only obscure because it's inferior to what's popular

unless that was sarcasm? or i'm not understanding what you're saying

also, fact: everything everyone listens to was obscure at one point, even it was just before they released a full length

i guess since this is sppf and isn't like a forum that specializes in music i won't throw anything super obscure

some underrated thrash metal:

Holy Moses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh42sGDY2s
german thrash similar to Kreator, Destruction, Exumer, etc

Coroner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJJov7wOCc
tech thrash similar to Blind Illusion, Sadus, etc

speaking of Blind Illusion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHQAI5VIUIc
it's got Les Claypool on bass for anyone who's a fan of Primus, though don't expect this to sound like them

Carnivore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBkA8AW4OWY
sorta similar to DRI, Suicidal Tendencies, etc but more metal than punk compared to the former and more of a blunt aggression compared to the latter

underrated death metal:

Pestilence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwSByg8BuA
awesome growls for anyone who appreciates them, the music is pretty straight forward death metal. not a lot of bands i'd compare them too but it's class death metal so i'd assume anyone who likes the genre would find some enjoyment in theme (at least the Consuming Impulse album)

Cancer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCMm5arLp98
very thrashy, features James Murphy who played on Death's Spiritual Healing and Obituary's Cause of Death. for fans of those two bands plus Morbid Angel and co.

Dismember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXyzSJ1_JM
Swedish death metal, features the same type of semi melodic and aggressive riffing typical of bands like Entombed and the rest of the Swedish scene.

Master: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiP_lvt5SNA
very thrashy again. features the guitarist who played on Cynic's Focus and if you have heard their demos then you'll get a basic idea of how he approaches the guitar work here, just with a bit more intricacy.

random other stuff (in other words where i don't wank random metal bands no one cares about):

Rome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjv64muiws
very relaxed, repetition based music. not sure what to call it, neofolk i guess. the song is rather melancholic. all acoustic, i think a lot of people could appreciate this. takes two listens to really sink in all the way, or at least it did for me, but that might be because it's not the type of music i normally listen to.

Jesu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBs-cZs9m8U
tons of atmosphere. they're basically drone but with a lot more going on in the song than **** bands like Sunn 0))), and more of an emphasis on the shoegaze/poppy side of their music. **** to stare at the sky and think about life to.

Faith No More: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUx_bk0jCvk
okay so these guys aren't obscure anymore but idgaf they're cool. the vocalist has such awesome range and does **** ranging from rapping, operatic stuff, harsh barks and he's never had one ****ing vocal lesson. Mike Patton is a ****ing vocal god. the music is as random too, mixing in random parts of funk, alternative, heavy metal, punk, among other things usually switching between them in the same album, sometimes the same song. very fun band.

i'll throw some other random stuff when i feel like sucking my own dick again later

SlipKnoT

Lighter stuff:
Amesoeurs - Faiblesse Des Sens
Opeth - Windowpane
OSI - Stockholm
Mono - The Remains Of The Day
Novembers Doom - Twilight Innocence
Morphine - The Night

Thrash Metal:
Wolfpack Unleashed - Religion Of Control
Sodom - Blood On Your Lips
The Haunted - 99
Sacred Reich - Who's To Blame
Zimmer's Hole - When You Were Shouting At The Devil... We Were In League With Satan
Devastation - Deliver The Suffering
Destroyer 666 - I Am The Wargod (Ode To The Battle Slain)

Death Metal:
Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains
Malevolent Creation - Deliver My Enemy
Kataklysm - Taking The World By Storm

Black Metal:
Sigh - In Devil's Arms
Absu - Amy
Lord Belial - Black Wings Of Death
Naglfar - The Darkest Road
Vesania - The Dawnfall (Hamartia And Hybris)

Melodic/Progressive Death Metal:
Opeth - Master's Apprentices
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait / Soilwork - Exile
Scar Symmetry - Morphogenesis
Revocation - Dismantle The Dictator
Kalmah - The Black Waltz
Into Eternity - Timeless Winter
Mechanism - Hall Of The Gods

Other:
Magrudergrind - Bridge Burner - Grindcore
Fugazi - Public Witness Program - Punk Rock
Warning - Footprints - Doom Metal
Animals As Leaders - Song Of Soloman - Instrumental Progressive Metal
Napalm Death - Life And Limb - Grindcore
Burst - Momentum - Metalcore
Warrel Dane - Let You Down - Progressive Metal
Volbeat - The Human Instrument - Elvis Metal

Also, this.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Now sure how obscure these are nowdays but:

(Album listed and band)

Back for the Attack ~ Dokken (Dream Warrior is just epic)

A Different Kind of Pain ~ Cold

Wishmaster ~ Nightwish

<3 them.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Some of these have already been said, and many wont be obscure to anyone who's ventured into the metalhead thread on this board, but everyone who hasn't had the pleasure of that thread should check these bands out.

Najda - Now I Am Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds Note: This is only an extract. The whole song is twice as long and twice as awesome
Swans - Beautiful Child
Battle of Mice - At the Base of the Giants Throat Note: Make sure you listen to the whole thing. It might be the most depressing, terrifying song in existence.
The Coup - Me and Jesus the Pimp in a 79 Grenada Last Night
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya
A Silver Mt. Zion - 1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound
Jesu - Silver
Mirrorthrone - A Scream to Express the Hate of a Race
Burst - I Hold Vertigo
Neurosis - Strength of Fates Note: Don't know why the video says 'Part 1'. This is the whole song
Natural Snow Buildings - Gorgon
ASVA - Birds

There are loads more that I could mention but I can't be bothered right now.