• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's all recommend obscure music!

pokeaussie37

20th Century Schizoid Man...

Anyways some band suggestions.
-Dream Theater. Still kind of obscure I guess. Especially since someone mentioned Progressive above and didn't mention them XD. Mike Portnoy playing for A7X doesn't count lol!
-Opeth. Has been mentioned above, but still really good.

As for Dream Theater, there are also their various side projects involving some individual members of the band, such as Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, and some of their solo projects, current and former members, e.g. Derek Sherinian, Jordan Rudess

Fenix

Tremulant
65daysofstatic: Amazing math rock/post-rock band. Their last album was more on the electronic side, though. Their music is magic. Not really sure how "obscure" they are.

dredg: again, I am not sure how unknown they are, but I'm pretty sure they're incredibly underrated. One of my favourite bands, and one of the best art/progressive rock bands out there imo. If you like concept albums you should really try their first 2 albums.

mewithoutYou: I've only recently gotten into this post-hardcore band, but I was spending an incredible amount of time listening only to them (that is, until Radiohead's new album came out lol)

That's all I can remember right now.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Anyways some band suggestions.
-Dream Theater. Still kind of obscure I guess. Especially since someone mentioned Progressive above and didn't mention them XD. Mike Portnoy playing for A7X doesn't count lol!
-Opeth. Has been mentioned above, but still really good.

I'd say they were fairly huge in terms of metal. Dream Theater have headlined The Apollo which is the second biggest venue in Manchester (behind the M.E.N. arena which is the largest indoor venue in Europe), Opeth have headlined the Royal Albert Hall which is like the mecca of venues in England at least.
Both bands are on Roadrunner which is like the biggest metal record label going. Black Clouds and Silver linings actually made it to 23 in the UK album charts, which given how unpopular metal is in the grand scheme of things is saying something. Same with Watershed which made it to 34th.

And if you look on last.fm Opeth have over half a million listeners, and Dream Theater have over 700,000.
Now compared to other bands on here, like Les Discrets who I mentioned they only have roughly 17,000 listeners. Which is higher than I'd have thought tbh. but still, for every Les Discrets listener on last.fm there are 29 listen to opeth.

Now I realsie that last.fm isn't definitive, but you can at least make like for like comparisons.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
dredg: again, I am not sure how unknown they are, but I'm pretty sure they're incredibly underrated. One of my favourite bands, and one of the best art/progressive rock bands out there imo. If you like concept albums you should really try their first 2 albums.
El Cielo is a gorgeous album. I was really disappointed with their latest release though. Band has been going down hill fast :(

octoboy

I Crush Everything
How about All Good Things by Valerie Davis?

And Sunny Skies by Maureen McGovern.

I bet you're going to all have to look real hard to find that. Might not even be on youtube. Heh.

Fenix

Tremulant
El Cielo is a gorgeous album. I was really disappointed with their latest release though. Band has been going down hill fast :(
So was I, as much as I tried to, I never managed to like The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion. I had issues with both the music and the lyrics, and there are only a couple of really good songs on that album. Their third album wasn't as good as El Cielo and Leitmotif, but was still rather consistent and had some incredibly amazing songs like Sang Real.

Good news is, their new album sounds promising enough:

"Those who are expecting the record to be a consistent continuance of THE PARIAH, THE PARROT, THE DELUSION will no doubt be surprised: this album is completely different from everything dredg have ever done before."

*fingers crossed*

Palkia98

Grenade by bruno mars, or as i call it, the suicide song, i mean everyone knows if you catch a grenade, YOU DIE

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Grenade by bruno mars, or as i call it, the suicide song, i mean everyone knows if you catch a grenade, YOU DIE

Hardly an obscure song though, is it? Don't know about everywhere else, but it got to number 1 in the UK- it's massive.

These guys probably aren't that obscure, but I know loads of people that don't know of them so why not? Something might be obscure for one person, and well known to another

Surfer Blood- Floating Vibes

Some of these have already been said, and many wont be obscure to anyone who's ventured into the metalhead thread on this board, but everyone who hasn't had the pleasure of that thread should check these bands out.

Najda - Now I Am Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds Note: This is only an extract. The whole song is twice as long and twice as awesome
Swans - Beautiful Child
Battle of Mice - At the Base of the Giants Throat Note: Make sure you listen to the whole thing. It might be the most depressing, terrifying song in existence.
The Coup - Me and Jesus the Pimp in a 79 Grenada Last Night
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya
A Silver Mt. Zion - 1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound
Jesu - Silver
Mirrorthrone - A Scream to Express the Hate of a Race
Burst - I Hold Vertigo
Neurosis - Strength of Fates Note: Don't know why the video says 'Part 1'. This is the whole song
Natural Snow Buildings - Gorgon
ASVA - Birds

There are loads more that I could mention but I can't be bothered right now.
I was hoping someone would bring up Godspeed in this thread. They're one of my favorite bands and I fortunately have tickets to see them in a few weeks.

Lift You Skinny Fists is one of the absolute best albums.

65daysofstatic: Amazing math rock/post-rock band. Their last album was more on the electronic side, though. Their music is magic. Not really sure how "obscure" they are.

mewithoutYou: I've only recently gotten into this post-hardcore band, but I was spending an incredible amount of time listening only to them (that is, until Radiohead's new album came out lol)

That's all I can remember right now.
mewithoutYou is also a favorite of mine. I saw them last year when David Bazan was opening for them, absolutely blew me away. Basically all their albums are great in different ways, but my favorite is probably Brother, Sister.

That reminds me, everyone in this thread should listen to David Bazan. He's not metal like most of the stuff that's been recommended, but he is a really powerful songwriter and his lyrics are brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFnYyFgrflw

Last edited:

Fenix

Tremulant
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya
Oh yeah, I love GY!BE. Amazing, amazing band. Now that post-rock's been mentioned, I can recommend some of my other favourites, like:

Sigur Rós: they're hardly obscure, but still a lot of people haven't heard of them. They are one of my top 5 bands of all time, and I think EVERYONE should watch Heima (the movie). It is a documentary-like film in which the band plays free, unannounced live shows in their homeland, Iceland. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Explosions in the Sky: lovely post-rock band with many solid records.

God is an Astronaut
: Same as EitS

MegaMetal X

Try this. Hollywood Squares by Dillinger Escape Plan & Mike Patton. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_t_sv5rXHQ
Not terribly obscure but this particular song is a lesser known one. I suggest listening to it up full, with headphones.

Try this too. A Timeless Flame by Thurisaz. Metal, melodic and delicious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkW53GyXEI

I also suggest getting the album, 'Adult Themes For Voice' by Mike Patton and you should listen to it up full, alone, in the dark without taking a break. It will turn you into the type of person in a mental hospital who sits in the corner, eating flies and writing your daily thoughts in your own **** all over the walls.

It will turn you into the type of person in a mental hospital who sits in the corner, eating flies and writing your daily thoughts in your own **** all over the walls.

Well, I think we've just found a new way to advertise music we love.

I'd personally like to recommend Madness to anyone on this board from a country where they could be considered obscure or a one-hit-wonder. Also Marillion and Bruce Cockburn under the same conditions.

Rasputina, too, is a possibility.

I'd also like to advertise this simply to get complained at over the internet by anyone who gets what this instrumental is related to.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Oh God, indie snobs are going to have a FIELD DAY with this one. Unless someone mentions a band/song they thought only they knew...in which case they will no longer like it because it's too 'mainstream'.

Anyways, if you live in the UK then Tinie Tempah is definitely not obscure. However, the rest of the world is a different story. He's getting more recognition in North America now that "Written In The Stars" was chosen as the official WWE song or whatever, though. But still, if you like really dancey music and don't mind rap [don't worry, not the terrible 'b*tches and hoes' rap] then check him out. He only has one album out so far, so I guess just check out his whole album Disc-Overy, but some of my favourites are:

- Frisky
- Simply Unstoppable
- Illusion
- Pass Out
- Miami 2 Ibiza
- Wonderman

MKFC

Shade of Blue
Anyways, if you live in the UK then Tinie Tempah is definitely not obscure. However, the rest of the world is a different story. He's getting more recognition in North America now that "Written In The Stars" was chosen as the official WWE song or whatever, though. But still, if you like really dancey music and don't mind rap [don't worry, not the terrible 'b*tches and hoes' rap] then check him out. He only has one album out so far, so I guess just check out his whole album Disc-Overy, but some of my favourites are:

- Frisky
- Simply Unstoppable
- Illusion
- Pass Out
- Miami 2 Ibiza
- Wonderman

Oh, this guy is amazing.
Not as good as Skepta or JME though. Or pretty much anyone in Boy Better Know.

Well, maybe I should be shoving this is the metal thread, but here's a really obscure one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZA1TnNKsY

I don't think I know anyone else who's known of Adept.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
40 Watt Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEvmtSxfuI

I've mentioned it in the metal thread, and in the 2011, and now its this threads turn lol
I think this is yet another doom band you've recommended to me that I just think would work so much better without the vocals, or at the very least with different vocals. It's good, don't get me wrong, but the vocals just seem too epic for the music they're put with, it's the same problem I had with Candlemass at Bloodstock.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think this is yet another doom band you've recommended to me that I just think would work so much better without the vocals, or at the very least with different vocals. It's good, don't get me wrong, but the vocals just seem too epic for the music they're put with, it's the same problem I had with Candlemass at Bloodstock.

I think we like the opposite ends of the doom spectrum for the most part. For me its the epicer the better. Like Warning (40 Watt Sun is essentially a continuation of Warning), Solstice, While Heaven Wept (arguably), Candlemass etc.

Are you a fan of Skepticism by any chance?