• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's debate evolution.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
This article basically looks at the question of how evolution would effect future humanity. [link] It got me thinking of what the future of humanity could look like.

Indulge me, we all know that evolution dictates the rise or fall of a species. Humans themselves are the anomaly of the evolutionary bush, but are we still evolving? some scientists thought no, but that's incorrect. But if so, what will man and woman look like in 1000, 100,000 or even 1,000,000 years time? (assuming, naturally we survive that long.)

How humanity will evolve will be less dictated by death and more dictated by things like who does and who dosn't choose to have children, genetic engineering and any long-term (read centuries) stable living environments of the future. Optimists predict a glorious future where every immune system is able to counter-act even the most aggressive and innovative virus, where human's resemble elves in terms of beauty and athleticism and that death will finally die. Pessimists foresee a future of humanity reduced to a mere species of slavish drones genetically engineered to fulfill the wishes of some tyrannical group, that immortality and a race of 'perfect' humans will have lost what it means to be human.

So, what are your stab-in-the-dark guesses of what humanity will become in the future? Is humanity destined for a utopia free from war, disease, misery and death? Or could we be steadily be approaching a Brave New World scenario (long story short, BNW is a novel about a futuristic society where the people are genetically engineered and manipulated from conception to become un-thinking drones unable to operate beyond the parameters set by the World Controllers) Or could it be something else all together?

Last edited:

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
The human brain has been shrinking over time, as society has grown. Currently, we are more impressionable than our ancestors and more prone to peer pressure and doing something according to the written and social laws of our societies. So I guess hive mind is my vote. Maybe there will be a "beautiful" and "elvish" race as the royalty/ ruling class but it seems everyone else is becoming more dronish without any genetic engineering or scientific interference already.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Can you show me some research on this brain shrinkage?

bel9

ChedWick

Gotta love the evolution threads. Thankfully you're OP is well thought out and curious. Hopefully this doesn't stray away from what it was intended for.

The general tone of this discussion seems to be more rooted in social evolution than genetic but one could argue as our brains grow and evolve the two can be linked.

I for one am interested in the evolution of the mind. There seems to be alot of discussion about curing/preventing autism. I wonder if we should be trying to cure it or embrace it. Autism is a very broad diagnosis so there are many forms of it, but many of its forms seems to produce very advanced problem solving capabilities. It could be possible that what every is causing autism may result in an even smarter human race. That is to say if in the generations to come we are still here and have evolved properly.

Though I think it to be more likely that we will snuff out these differences that cause autism with genetic engineering than to let nature run its course and possibly produce human beings capable of so much more.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
History doesn't seem to show that.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
The type of war changes, though. I'll be damned to say wars today are the same as they were 2,000 or more years ago.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
War. War never changes.

Interesting theory of evolution you got there...

Apparently, in the next 1 million years of so, humans will have 3 toes, due to our toes being 'useless' (Though they have a lot to do with balance and structure) Now that is evolution for you!

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Humans are going to last a long time unless a large natural disaster happens, and if that happens many other life forms will go down with us. I don't think any of us needs to worry about extinction.

We will evolve just life every other animal. More and more humans grow up without their far back molars growing. It's like that becuase we don't eat as much tough rough meat anymore and instead grind it up or eat with knifes and forks. We can expect more minor changes like color of skin. Depending on the surroundings the future of humans will live in. they're color of skin will change. Currently, interracial children are common and in the far future we might all of relatively have the same color of skin. That's all just guess work though.

Titan500

Solar Panels
Humans are going to last a long time unless a large natural disaster happens, and if that happens many other life forms will go down with us. I don't think any of us needs to worry about extinction.

We will evolve just life every other animal. More and more humans grow up without their far back molars growing. It's like that becuase we don't eat as much tough rough meat anymore and instead grind it up or eat with knifes and forks. We can expect more minor changes like color of skin. Depending on the surroundings the future of humans will live in. they're color of skin will change. Currently, interracial children are common and in the far future we might all of relatively have the same color of skin. That's all just guess work though.

That caused me to think of something. Maybe humans may have an increase in brain power, since we don't really use all of it, but our physical capabilities may diminish.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
War. War never changes.
I assume you mean war is a constant part of humanity. True enough, violence occurs in every society, constantly and relentlessly, it dosn't overwhelm society, but it's always there. As for war in it's intended sense, while war still occurs, the 21st century is 11% over, and no major conflict has occurred or is likely to occur for the foreseeable future. It's highly unlikely a world war will occur in this decade or even the next. After that is debatable.

Also, when was the last time you heard a liberal democracy with a functioning economy declaring war over another? The answer is never, the Middle-east was once thought to be immune to change, it's people too unmotivated, it's regimes too hard-line, the world not interested enough; but look at the news and you'll see people taking to the streets demanding change. The point is that a yearning for a government that listens to it's people is universal.

If every government is democratic* and every economy is stable for the long-term is terms of structure and organization, then no government would be able to launch a large war or even any war for there is 1) no need from a economic perspective and 2) wars are unpopular and disruptive, so the public would be unlikely, as a whole, to support any war.
The lack of any extra-nation threat wold also mean wars are no longer started via retaliation or strategic threat.

This theory is called peace by democracy, and it may very well hold true.

Only democracies seem to regularly listen to what the public wants, more or less, this is because the employment of a politician is based on public polls. Also, true democracies give each person an equal voice (in theory) only democratic societies seem to promote racial/ethnic/gender/sexual equality in the political domain. So it would be impossible for a democratic government to commit genocide or any other -cide.

Fatum

Bringer of Doom
Perhaps our fingers will become longer so we can type better on computers. (But by the time the evolution kicks in, all the computers will be mind-operated!)

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II

bel9

Interesting theory of evolution you got there...

Apparently, in the next 1 million years of so, humans will have 3 toes, due to our toes being 'useless' (Though they have a lot to do with balance and structure) Now that is evolution for you!

I assume you mean war is a constant part of humanity. True enough, violence occurs in every society, constantly and relentlessly, it dosn't overwhelm society, but it's always there. As for war in it's intended sense, while war still occurs, the 21st century is 11% over, and no major conflict has occurred or is likely to occur for the foreseeable future. It's highly unlikely a world war will occur in this decade or even the next. After that is debatable.

Also, when was the last time you heard a liberal democracy with a functioning economy declaring war over another? The answer is never, the Middle-east was once thought to be immune to change, it's people too unmotivated, it's regimes too hard-line, the world not interested enough; but look at the news and you'll see people taking to the streets demanding change. The point is that a yearning for a government that listens to it's people is universal.

If every government is democratic* and every economy is stable for the long-term is terms of structure and organization, then no government would be able to launch a large war or even any war for there is 1) no need from a economic perspective and 2) wars are unpopular and disruptive, so the public would be unlikely, as a whole, to support any war.
The lack of any extra-nation threat wold also mean wars are no longer started via retaliation or strategic threat.

This theory is called peace by democracy, and it may very well hold true.

Only democracies seem to regularly listen to what the public wants, more or less, this is because the employment of a politician is based on public polls. Also, true democracies give each person an equal voice (in theory) only democratic societies seem to promote racial/ethnic/gender/sexual equality in the political domain. So it would be impossible for a democratic government to commit genocide or any other -cide.

For the record he is quoting a line from Fallout, a series of post apocalyptic video games. The line is often read at the beginning and end of the game by Vin Diesel. Apparently I'm one of few who got the joke.

Last edited:

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
I think the next phase in human evolution will be forced in a way and will be human/computer hybrids

legnak

Alvion Region it is!
okay, think of it this way, Evolution, on one hand is survival of the fittest... persay, exibit A has a more streamlined body than Exibit B, now, debatng on Diet, carnivors, Exibit A's children will florish where as Exibit B may not reach maturity. same goes for climate changes... Exibit B was Omniviorus... All animals die out in area due to cold, Exibit B's children will Flourish due to size and mass whereas Exibit A will starve and freeze... Another say is where Exibit Z (Virus) infects Exibits A and B, Resistances for the virus come in to play, Exibit A could die out, so could Exibit B... leading to a end, leading no Exibit AA or Exibit BB. Do you get where I'm going on this?