• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's Finish Christmas - Emerald Team Help

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Yeah, I felt like making the title a bit festive... *Fails* Okay, moving on.
My team is really, really bad and needs a lot of work. I made it through the game, though now I'm trying to get through the Frontier Facilities and am losing, so please offer what good advice you can.

Ninetales
Nature: Timid
Item: Shell Bell
- Hidden Power (Water)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower

Gardevoir
Nature: Naive
Item: Twistedspoon
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Raichu (Bobby)
Nature: Calm
Item: Magnet
- Shock Wave
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Brick Break

Milotic (Mireena)
Nature: Relaxed
Item: Mystic Water
- Iron Tail
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Recover

Metagross
Nature: Serious
Item: Leftovers
- Take Down
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Psychic
(This one needs a LOT of help--I just don't know what to put, as I've already used my Earthquake TM)

Sceptile
Nature: Jolly
Item: MiracleSeed
- Giga Drain
- Solar Beam
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
(Another bad one, I know. I had given it Dragon Claw when I faced Tucker in case he used his Salamence, which he hadn't, and I didn't know what moves to replace it with. I know three grass moves is a bad idea, I just didn't realize it at the time and now I don't know what to do with them.)

Last edited:
You've got some pokemon that are good if they're used correctly. If you're mainly thinking about doing the Frontier, it's a 3vs3 environment, except in some of the doubles facilities where it's 4vs4. If you're unwilling to add or change any of your specific pokemon, the obvious choice for your team would be Metagross, Gardevoir, and Milotic.

When it comes to Metagross's physical attacking options to go along with Meteor Mash, there isn't a lot of power behind them without Earthquake. Sludge Bomb is a consideration to get some coverage, and Brick Break can be helpful for dealing with steel types. Replace Pursuit and Take Down. A Choice Band is a good item to go along with it if you have enough BP to afford one.

Gardevoir needs Thunderbolt and Calm Mind to go along with Psychic. Delete Dream Eater, and also delete Shadow Ball, which is a physical attack in this generation. Gardevoir should only be using special attacks. For the item, stick with the Twistedspoon or give it the Lum Berry if you have it. It's useful for curing any status problem once in each battle, so it's a great item.

Milotic definitely needs to have Surf and Ice Beam. You should keep Recover, and the fourth move doesn't matter much. I would suggest Toxic to give it an easier time taking down opposing water types. Give it the Leftovers.

Exarius

Since Yo Shee took care of the other 3, I'll add some on Ninetails, in case you want to use it:

HP is fine, along with Will-O-Wisp. But Heatwave AND Flamethrower is a huge nono. Either 1 of them has to go, I'd suggest keep Heatwave, but it's just personal preference. You can even go Fire Blast if you want more power in the hit. In any case, the last spot is up to debate. Confuse Ray and Substitute are the 2 hotshots in there, Ray for messing up the opponent and Sub for some extra defenses. It's up to you which you prefer.

Also, are you interested in EVing these guys, and need help with it?

But Heatwave AND Flamethrower is a huge nono.

It would be, if only Ninetales could learn anything better. Confuse Ray isn't really a great move, and Substitute isn't worth wasting the move tutor on Ninetales. In fact, it doesn't have any redeeming factors that will make it be able to get very far in the frontier anyway, so it should just stick to its other in-game purposes.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit--I forgot one Pokemon. Check first post again please?

Also, are you interested in EVing these guys, and need help with it?
I tried EV training Ninetales in Speed and SP. Attack (which is why I chose Timid Nature), and I didn't really put anything into it's defenses, so I decided to not go with substitute. Though the rest already have the maximum amount of EVs they can. Thanks for the offer though.

And thanks for the help, Yo Shee. If I can't get Ice Beam on Milotic (since I already gave it away), is there another option that could go well?

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
Yeah, I felt like making the title a bit festive... *Fails* Okay, moving on.
My team is really, really bad and needs a lot of work. I made it through the game, though now I'm trying to get through the Frontier Facilities and am losing, so please offer what good advice you can.

Ninetales
Nature: Timid
Item: Shell Bell
- Hidden Power (Water)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower

Oh no. NEVER use 2 fire type attacks on one pokemon. Keep Flamethrower, and drop Heat Wave for Sub (Sub and WoW work well together)

Gardevoir
Nature: Naive
Item: Twistedspoon
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Shadowball is physical, drop it like it's cold pizza. Dream Eater is unnecisary with Psychic also there. Replace them with T-Bolt and Calm Mind.

Raichu (Bobby)
Nature: Calm
Item: Magnet
- Shock Wave
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Brick Break

3 Electric moves? Wow... Drop Thunder and Shock Wave for... umm... Thunder Wave and Protect or a good HP (If you have one, that is)

Milotic (Mireena)
Nature: Relaxed
Item: Mystic Water
- Iron Tail
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Recover

No Hydro Pump or Iron Tail. Slap Ice Beam and Toxic on in their place.

Metagross
Nature: Serious
Item: Leftovers
- Take Down
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Psychic
(This one needs a LOT of help--I just don't know what to put, as I've already used my Earthquake TM)

Okay. Kill Take Down, Pursuit, and Psychic, replacing them with... well, BB and Shadow Ball get great coverage, both are physical, and you can put Sludge Bomb in the last moveslot to better handle Grasses.

Sceptile
Nature: Jolly
Item: MiracleSeed
- Giga Drain
- Solar Beam
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
(Another bad one, I know. I had given it Dragon Claw when I faced Tucker in case he used his Salamence, which he hadn't, and I didn't know what moves to replace it with. I know three grass moves is a bad idea, I just didn't realize it at the time and now I don't know what to do with them.)

Sceptile is REALLY good, but it should be done with something more like this:

Leaf Blade
Leech Seed
Substitute
(Move to hit grass types. I think Arial Ace or BB would work)

Hey, Subseeding's it's best option!

Now, as for the team, keep Raichu and Ninetails off. If Sceptile is necisary, bring him, as he IS useful, but otherwise use the rest. Oh, and for the wonky nature of the Pyramid, Sceptile is recommended (as is Milotic)

Now, as for the team, keep Raichu and Ninetails off. If Sceptile is necisary, bring him, as he IS useful, but otherwise use the rest. Oh, and for the wonky nature of the Pyramid, Sceptile is recommended (as is Milotic)

Other than the advice you provided about Sceptile, you basically just repeated everything that's already been said. You could save yourself a lot of valuable time in the future if you read the given responses prior to making your post.