1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play Fighting Fantasy 1

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dephender, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

I've seen these games played around on a couple other forums and thought it'd be fun to try a session here too.

For those not familiar with the name "Fighting Fantasy", it's a series of gamebooks that started in the early 80s. With the help of a pencil and a pair of dice, the reader him/herself embark on an adventure, making their own choices along the way, collecting items, fighting monsters and hopefully not suffering a brutal death at the pointy end of a nasty trap. I had a lot of fun with these things in my childhood.

In this thread, we'll be playing such an adventure; the very first one, in fact: "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain". In this book, we play as a young adventurer who sets off for Firetop Mountain, where a powerful warlock dwells. The warlock is said to possess untold riches, and many have entered the caves of the mountains in an attempt to steal them. None have returned. Now it's our turn, because we're cool like that.

As we read through the book, we will constantly be prompted to make choices, upon which I will stop the story and poll you on our next move. There's no need to sign up for anything, just come into the thread whenever you want and vote on the currently running poll. It's open to all. The poll will run until I feel it's gone on long enough, or enough people have voted, though I'll try my best to not end it until there's a clear majority for a specific option.

NOTE: If you're familiar with the story from before, that's fine, you can still play. But PLEASE don't give hints/spoilers/suggestions based on your previous knowledge and ruin the fun for others. Preferably avoid mentioning any prior familiarity with the game at all.

The basic rules are as follows:

STATS:
    Our initial stats are determined by rolling some dice and adding some numbers to the total. Our SKILL determines how good we are at fighting, and primarily influences how often we'll be able to hit the opponent in battle. If we hurt our arms or damage our weapons in some way, our Skill might get reduced. Our STAMINA is essentially our health meter - we lose stamina when we take damage, and if it hits 0, we die. Game over. LUCK works a bit differently - at times during our adventure, we'll be asked to see if we're lucky or unlucky. This is done by throwing a pair of dice and comparing the result to our Luck score - if it's lower, we're lucky, if it's higher, we're unlucky. Every time we test our luck, we lose a luck point, so the more we rely on our luck, the more risk we put ourselves at.

My dice and I have determined that our initial skills are as follows:
    SKILL: 12/12
    STAMINA: 24/24
    LUCK: 8/8
    (this actually happens to be the highest possible initial Skill and Stamina possible. No, I did not cheat. On the other hand, our Luck is very very low - the lowest possible initial Luck is 7. This will hurt us)

BATTLE:
    Each monster we fight will have its own Skill and Stamina scores. When we fight, we first throw two dice for the monsters and add the sum to its Skill to determine its attack points. We then throw two dice for ourselves and determine our own attack power the same way. Whomever had the highest attack power hits the other for two points of damage, which gets deducted from their stamina. The one who runs out of stamina first dies.

TRYING OUR LUCK IN BATTLE:
    At any point in a battle, we can try our luck. If we try our luck after attacking an enemy, we'll deal double damage (4 points) if we're lucky or half damage (1 point) if we're unlucky. If we try our luck while being attacked, we'll only take 1 point of damage if we're lucky, but 3 points if we're unlucky.
    I'm not sure exactly how to incorporate this system (doing a poll after every single battle round will slow the game to a crawl, and the result will no doubt be no most of the time anyway).

INVENTORY:
    We start our adventure with a sword, a leather armor, a shield, a lantern and a backpack containing 10 rations, which each restore 4 points of stamina when eaten. In addition, we start with one of the following three bottles of potions:

Potion of Skill: If drunk, this will restore our SKILL to its current max.
    Potion of Strength: If drunk, this will restore our STAMINA to its current max.
    Potion of Fortune: If drunk, this will increase our current max LUCK by 1, then restore it to its new current max.

Each bottle contains enough potion for two gulps. We can drink from these at any time, with the exception of during a battle. If you want to drink from it, say so, and we'll run a poll to see if others agree.

Our first poll will thus be: Which of these three bottles do we bring with us?

(if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for clarification)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Pir8Heart

Pir8Heart ƸӜƷ

So now that's another 80's relic I need to hunt down. Choose Your Own Adventure kinda' creeps me out every time I read the words The End. >_>

As much as I'd like to vote for the Potion of Fortune, the Potion of Strength is pretty much a staple go-to potion.

Hmm... ... ... alright, I'll vote for Potion of Fortune. It might help with stealing some treasure, who knows? >_>

3. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Fairy Tale Man

Potion of Stamina seems the most practical to me. I vote for that...

4. Dephender

Only two votes so far? We'll be needing a bit more than that, I think.

As an aside, this game is pretty kind to the player in that it doesn't really have all that many "bad ends" beyond "you ran out of Stamina and died from your injuries".

5. Rotom Router

Rotom Router Just Won't Stay Dead

Interesting maneuver, StarFox.

As much as I want that low Luck to be able to be raised early, I'm paranoid when it comes to HP so Potion of Stamina it is.

6. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

I say Potion of Fortune ... we have high stamina and low luck, and we already have rations, so this seems the most useful no? i don't really know what im doing

7. Pir8Heart

Pir8Heart ƸӜƷ

And we'll probably find a Potion along the way if we're... lucky. B) Okay maybe not, but there's probably going to be an opportunity to find one. Or more rations, which are good too.

8. Monster Guy

So am I. I buy a ton of Potions every time i'm in a new town in Pokemon. xD

9. Dephender

Two votes for Potion of Fortune, two for Potion of Strength...

Gonna need a tiebreaker here.

10. Chalis

Chalis Victorious

Can I play?
    Potion of Fortune. Luck FTW!

11. Dephender

Everyone can play.

Potion of Fortune it is!
    (as mentioned, if at any point someone thinks we should drink from this bottle, say so, and we'll run a poll right away)

And with that, our adventure starts:

Will you turn west or east?

Make your vote.

CURRENT STATS:
    LUCK: 8/8
    POTIONS: Potion of Fortune (2 gulps remaining)
    PROVISIONS REMAINING: 10

12. Pir8Heart

Pir8Heart ƸӜƷ

Quite the charmer, this protagonist. >3> Male empowerment for the win...?

I'm going to assume this means that the peak is a possible destination.

Hold on now, that 2/2's the # of gulps, right? I think that could be worded less vaguely. :/

And now, voting. West is best.

13. Dephender

Better now?

14. RogueMG10

RogueMG10 Lieker of Mudkipz

We have to go exploring anyway.... Go West young adventurer.

15. Pir8Heart

Pir8Heart ƸӜƷ

Yes, that's cool. ^_^

16. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Let's go east!

#rebel

17. Monster Guy

18. Dephender

3 votes for west, 1 for east.

We go west.

Do you want to open the door?
    Do you wish to press on northwards?

CURRENT STATS:
    LUCK: 7/8
    POTIONS: Potion of Fortune (2 gulps remaining)
    PROVISIONS REMAINING: 10

(also, we should probably work out some guidelines for how we'll potentially use Luck in battle... any suggestions?)

19. RogueMG10

RogueMG10 Lieker of Mudkipz

LEEEEERROOOOY JEEENKINS-Ahem. I mean, verily we shalt open the door

20. Monster Guy

Press on northwards Never trust the creepy noises behind a wooden door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.