• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Let's talk about animals!

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
gOn1sjG.png

Observing this Chimpanzee's usage of tools in it's natural habitat, it proceeds to use this rounded vessel to pour boiling hot aromatic water infused with herbs into this open-top container device where it will then proceed to drink from this container and tip his hooman servants before enjoying the rest of it's days off in the concrete jungles of Britannia. Yes, nature sure is quite mysterious don't you think?

Let's talk about animals!

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Would extinct animals be appropriate subject matter? Because I've recently been interested in mass extinctions, as well as human-caused extinctions. It makes me sad to think that I'll never get to see a dodo or a thylacine in real life.

And to add to this, what about prehistoric animals? Are those fine to discuss too?

shoz999

Would extinct animals be appropriate subject matter? Because I've recently been interested in mass extinctions, as well as human-caused extinctions. It makes me sad to think that I'll never get to see a dodo or a thylacine in real life.
And to add to this, what about prehistoric animals? Are those fine to discuss too?
Both are fine. Interesting fact, did you know that lions once roamed Europe and bears once roamed Northern Africa before the Romans killed them to extinction with their hunts and games? Yup, their games where humans fight against animals to the death actually brought some species to extinction.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Both are fine.

Yay! Then I'll start by saying that, from personal observation, Tyrannosaurus rex is the only dinosaur, if not only animal, whose full species name is used by the general public.

Interesting fact, did you know that lions once roamed Europe and bears once roamed Northern Africa before the Romans killed them to extinction with their hunts and games? Yup, their games where humans fight against animals to the death actually brought some species to extinction.

Well that would explain how they got them into their gladitorial games in the first place. Though this wouldn't be the first time I've seen/heard people drive animals into extinction.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Both are fine. Interesting fact, did you know that lions once roamed Europe and bears once roamed Northern Africa before the Romans killed them to extinction with their hunts and games? Yup, their games where humans fight against animals to the death actually brought some species to extinction.
This reminds me, from what I've heard there was some evidence that horses originated in the American continent (IIRC Central America, but not sure about that) and then got to Europe through the Bering Strait. Not sure if it's true though

shoz999

This reminds me, from what I've heard there was some evidence that horses originated in the American continent (IIRC Central America, but not sure about that) and then got to Europe through the Bering Strait. Not sure if it's true though
That's actually true. Horses, Zebras and similar counterparts are originally descended from smaller species of horses from the Americas and they, along with many other species, crossed into Eurasia by the Bering Strait. Now the reason why there weren't any horses in the Americas until the Colonials arrived is because all the horses, along with several other animals such as Woolly Mammoths, Sabretooth Tigers, Dire Wolves, in the Prehistoric Americas died out for some reason. What exactly killed so many animals during that time, people still aren't quite sure but the common conclusion is that it was climate change that affected the food source for many animals.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually believe that the passenger pigeon isn’t extinct but rather extremely rare and also one of those cases where it is hiding in plain sight but no one notices them because they believe the species is extinct.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Storm the Lycanroc said:
Fun fact about wooly mammoths it's theorized they were still alive in the far north while the ancient Egyptians were building the pyramids. Roughly 3000 years ago or around 1000 BC.

That seems like such a long time ago from a human perspective, but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that long ago. I hope that scientists will manage to successfully clone one in our lifetime.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Seagulls have one of the most powerful stomach acids in the animal kingdom, making this possible

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I heard that before. Isn’t it because the young don’t have the poison necessary for survival?
I think it has more to do with how much young they have, which I think is lower than most frogs.

Seagulls have one of the most powerful stomach acids in the animal kingdom, making this possible
Seagulls are also fairly intelligent from what I've read.

shoz999

Gooses are psycho assholes. We need a pseudo-legendary 600 base stat Psycho Goose Pokemon. Okay but in actuality, Gooses are extremely territorial and the reason for their aggression is that's their best tactic. They can't hide like other smaller birds because their fairly big, so they resort to being a psycho asshole to those who get on their property.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
That seems like such a long time ago from a human perspective, but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that long ago. I hope that scientists will manage to successfully clone one in our lifetime.

I will admit Jurassic Park has made me cautious at the thought of cloning/recreating a mammoth-like creature, especially since when we try to fix something, it might end up like what happened with the cane toads: we made it worse. But it would be nice if it did work out, since, iirc, one of the reasons scientists wanna "bring it back" is to help with the whole melting polar ice caps. I forgot specifically how though.

Yup also very rude & fearless from my experience. I've seen them steal food from people's hands & even from mouths.

And monkeys. Don't forget the monkeys that steal from people too. And camels. And goats. Basically be careful when you have food in your hands.

I don't have any pets right now but I had a cat when I lived with my parents. She still lives with them because I couldn't take her to my new apartment. I've always been a cat person more than a dog person I dunno why.

As long as the dog isn't a pug or something like that. I'll admit I'll need to look into it more, but now knowing the problems wuth the fact they literally all are born with problems breathing makes feel really bad for them and wish the breed wasn't bred. Though it doesn't help I've never understood what people found cute about pugs and the like.

On a less depressing note, I'd like both cats and dogs but haven't had much of a chance to pet a cat simce the cats I've seen most of the time are strays.

Crows are also really smart. I remember I was in Death Valley in California and I watched a crow take a lid off of a trash can.

They can use tools too. Though mostly simple ones like sticks but still. The younger ones also learn that from older crows.

Gooses are psycho assholes. We need a pseudo-legendary 600 base stat Psycho Goose Pokemon. Okay but in actuality, Gooses are extremely territorial and the reason for their aggression is that's their best tactic. They can't hide like other smaller birds because their fairly big, so they resort to being a psycho asshole to those who get on their property.

I couldn't agree more. Hence why Untitled Goose Game is even more hilarious to me.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I will admit Jurassic Park has made me cautious at the thought of cloning/recreating a mammoth-like creature, especially since when we try to fix something, it might end up like what happened with the cane toads: we made it worse. But it would be nice if it did work out, since, iirc, one of the reasons scientists wanna "bring it back" is to help with the whole melting polar ice caps. I forgot specifically how though.

And monkeys. Don't forget the monkeys that steal from people too. And camels. And goats. Basically be careful when you have food in your hands.

As long as the dog isn't a pug or something like that. I'll admit I'll need to look into it more, but now knowing the problems wuth the fact they literally all are born with problems breathing makes feel really bad for them and wish the breed wasn't bred. Though it doesn't help I've never understood what people found cute about pugs and the like.

On a less depressing note, I'd like both cats and dogs but haven't had much of a chance to pet a cat simce the cats I've seen most of the time are strays.

They can use tools too. Though mostly simple ones like sticks but still. The younger ones also learn that from older crows.

I couldn't agree more. Hence why Untitled Goose Game is even more hilarious to me.
We all know Geese are the root of all evil, never trust a goose
About pugs' breathing problems, I don't know that much of the topic, but this is the shape of their skull, which I'm sure plays a part
c7edb2eb5c26bbc4beaf84a245ef20ba.jpg