• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Leymil's Splices and Recolours

Leymil

Hi there!

i've been spriting for some time now, and i thought that i would share my work with someone who could help me improve.

Terraontrio.png

Girai.png

Sprite4.png
Sprite5.png
Sprite6.png

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hmmm, very very good!

Constructive criticism - make the top one's tail colour more similar to the body, and make it bulkier.

The second one has a tad too much of Giratina's face. The red ball underneath its face looks out of place.

Love the tryanitar line!

Here's one for you to try - Dialga, Palkia, Giratina mix. Should be fun (fit all their gems on!)

P.S How do you get the pics on? I want to, butI cannot work it out....

Leymil

Well... i already tried the Palkia, Dialga, Giratina thing, and i can't really work it out in a way that actually looks somehow okay...

but instead i'll post some other sprites:
sprite_1_by_leymil-d3b8s6e.png

Sprite7.png

also you post the pictures like this:

and write the URL for your picture between them, like this:

Frosty Voltorb

Well, you certainly have some great concepts. But, what you have going on here is just too cluttered. When spriting, you have to make sure you aren't over doing anything, and a few of these are good examples of that. Keep it simple, to about two or maybe three.

Your first sprite is a prime offender, as it's just too much going on at one time. C+P looks like a big thing, and that's okay for beginning spriters. But, the amount of pieces and odds and ends placed there detract from the work. Like Bert says (an avid spriter here) keep it simple.

You have some great ideas, but it's the way you go through with them that needs some work. Just keep at it though, and keep posting here to get some feedback for future sprites. And welcome to our community.

Bert

Untitled
Like Bert says (an avid spriter here) keep it simple.
I support this statement. Lol'd, thanks FV :p

^ But he's totally right you know (and it's not even coincidence, he's too modest to say it but he's a pretty damn good spriter as well so you better follow his advice to the letter), your sprites are kinda over the top here and there which really puts a dent in their overall quality. So just to get the message across even clearer: KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. SILLY. (That's a K.I.S.S. for you to remember 'till you die, got it?)

Every time you add a part to a sprite, pause for a moment, count to ten, then ask yourself: "Does this piece make the sprite look better at all?". If the answer's yes, go for it. If not, ditch the damn piece.

Prime example of all this is your Bastiodon Giga Snake ...thing. The concept is cool, the Metagross arms make a great match, but PLEASE lose those stupid Charizard wings. How does a rock snake even grow flesh wings? Honestly, it's ridiculous and they make your sprite look bad. On the fiery Lairon's eyes it's basically the same thing. Yes, fiery eyes are cool, but no, it doesn't mean you can have 4 of them on the same sprite. I think it'd look way better if you made it two slightly larger flames instead of four tiny ones.

Ironically, your Corsola/Tyranitar line has the reverse problem. Too little Corsola. Hey, I'll let you in on a secret here: I made a Suicune/Corsola fusion a couple of weeks ago, and I did kinda the same thing you did. I recolored Suicune pink, made some coral crown stuff and told myself how pretty damn awesome I was. Then some friendly fellow spriter came along, told me to get off my lazy arse, and I made it look more like corsola. Here's a pic for reference (in spoilers since it's your thread and not mine):

Suicune.png
---->
Suicune-1.png
I'd like you to do the same thing to your Tyranitar line. Blend Corsola's patterns in, make it seem like a Corsola went full steroid and became a Tyranitar.

Other than that, your Pikachu/Snorlax is great (although I think I've seen that idea before, still: nice sprite) and your aforementioned rock snake and fiery arse Lairon could be good too if you follow my advice (or do something entirely else, whatever, as long as it looks better). The Giratina/Darkrai is a mixed bag to me: I feel like you really did something right but it doesn't work out, because (imo) Darkrai's pseudo-wings/extremely pointy shoulders don't mix well with Giratina's mutha 'ucking wings.

With design stuff out of the way, here's a few technical remarks.
On your rock snake you vertically flipped Onix's body and pasted it there (middle and end part of the tail). Okay, great, but the shading is all wrong now, it looks like there's light coming out of the ground. Keep the outline, fix the shading -> your sprite will look cool and technically good + you'll get to practice your shading skills. That's two birds with one stone, yay!
Basically the same problem on your Lairon, the metal plate at its leg is poorly shaded, and I presume it is 'cause you flipped it.

Yes, this is a wall of text, but you better read it. I know where you sleep (no srsly, read it).
Yes, you'll have to work your arse off.
Do you really think I'd have written all this if you were a talentless little spriter? No way. I believe in you, you're pretty okay and we're here to make you a goddamn legend amongst mortals.

Get working :).

Last edited:

kamionero

Nice sprites there!!! And welcome to the forum!!!
First and foremost, I'm in love with Terraontrio. one of the most interesting splices i've seen, it really is a really really cool concept, i love the ground effect, i love the pose. There is certainly room for refinement, but I really like what ur going for here. Granted, it does not feel like its a pokemon you'll find in a game, but thats ok, it doesnt have to. It just has to look cool.

The snorelax pikachu one looks adorable lol. The only critique I have for it is on the top right of its head, his left ear joins a little wierdly to the head. Looks like u kept pikachu's proportions on snorlax's head, I would advise to move that ear a little to the right. it also makes his head look too square.

The steely-fiery monster looks great as well, the only thing i dont particularly like is the fire effect on his head. Especially the lower flames. They look like crooked fingers, so the shape looks very weird for fire. I would recommend either doing a cindaquill-like fire, or little flames, cause it looks like those fire streamers where made like that kind of for viewing conveniene, like to stay out of the way of the sprite while still showing fire, but overall makes them look a bit awkward. Even an Infernape like flame could work and would be easier to incorporate.

Love the Tyranicorsola line, but like Bert said, it needs a bit more incorporation. In your case I think the sprites might benefit from cheating a bit color-wise. Intead of using pure corsola colors for outlines, add one of ur own... I think an extra shade might do some real wonders in some spots lighting-wise.

Im really looking forward to seeing more stuff from you, and like i tell everyone, id really love to see some scratching or even ur poke ideas made from parts. They dont need to be perfect or even good lol (Just look at some of the awful crap i come up with) but its always really cool to see ppl's ideas for new pokes

Leymil

Thanks for all of the awesome feedback guys :D
I'll get working the very moment i have some free time.
At the moment i have some scenarios to write and some cleaning to do, so it'll probably be a little while, but i'll promise this one thing!
i'll do my best :D