• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

LHC - Large Hadron Collider.

Brettt

satirist
First of all, kudos to those who know what this is before reading the links. Basically, it is the largest super collider to be built by man, (100 meters under French swiss border, and 27 km long) in which protons will be accelerated at 99.9% the speed of light, and this should recreate the first fraction of seconds of the big bang. This should be fired up around MAy 2008, though there is still a lot of controversies pertaining to its consequences. Some theories suggest that mini black holes will be created, others say stranglets. This could help solve some of the unknown problems associated with the big bang and what happened after it, but also, if it goes wrong, or if some unforeseen consequence occurs, results could be disastrous. If someone wouldn't posting better links then I have posted as well, as I'm pretty sure most of my sources are either biased or wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

http://www.lhc.ac.uk/ Home page for the site, denies pretty much all consequences though.

http://techfreep.com/worlds-largest-supercollider-could-destroy-the-universe.htm Article.

Image of LHC - Large Hadron Accelerator.

lhc.jpg

Last edited:

Dimbat

Arr...
This is gonna be epic.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

That's the official website of the LHC, with brief explanations of all the experiments they're doing...

Yeah, not much I can think of to say about this, other than I'll definitely be keeping up to date with all the results when they're announced XD.

Brettt

satirist
This is gonna be epic.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

That's the official website of the LHC, with brief explanations of all the experiments they're doing...

Yeah, not much I can think of to say about this, other than I'll definitely be keeping up to date with all the results when they're announced XD.

Yeah, it seems like some consequences could be pretty scary, so before they fire it up, I'll kiss my loved ones. Just in case. Though, if it succeeds, incredible insights into the universe will be found.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
I don't reckon anything bad will come of it tbh, although it is possible. I hope they find the Higgs Boson, sure would put us another step closer to understanding what the hell is going on around us.

Dimbat

Arr...
Rofl, really it's gonna be safe. These microscopic black holes that could possibly exist would probably evaporate incredibly quickly, and it's doubtful whether they'd even detect them if they did occur.

Starting my Physics degree this year (haven't decided which university to go to yet - but I've decided it's 1 of 2, and both have strong particle physics departments) so no doubt I'll be hearing about the results from my lecturers, and I think at one of the universities they organise trips to CERN (where the LHC is being build) so that'd be awesome.

Brettt

satirist
I don't reckon anything bad will come of it tbh, although it is possible. I hope they find the Higgs Boson, sure would put us another step closer to understanding what the hell is going on around us.

After reading all of that, I started to doubt the possibility of anything going wrong, however, I still am a little more nervous that a few outcomes are still unknown.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
After reading all of that, I started to doubt the possibility of anything going wrong, however, I still am a little more nervous that a few outcomes are still unknown.

True, but if it's been decided that the main obvious problems are pretty unlikely then i doubt any other problems they could be faced with will be all that major. Plus, despite how powerful it is, I really doubt that it has the power to do anything astronomically damaging, otherwise I doubt they'd have been allowed to build it in the first place.

Brettt

satirist
I agree with Dimbat, the Black Holes would dissolve very quickly, however, there might be some unforeseen consequences, though now I am beginning to doubt it.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
I'm gonna stock up on crowbars and build a safehouse in the subway. Who wants to join me?

Rave

Banned
I'm gonna stock up on crowbars and build a safehouse in the subway. Who wants to join me?

I will. I'll steal lots of roast beef sandwiches as well for the feast.

woot21

super noob
According to the standard calculations these are harmless because they would quickly decay by Hawking radiation. The concern is that Hawking radiation (which is still debated [25]) is not yet an experimentally-tested phenomenon, and so micro black holes might not decay as rapidly as calculated, and accumulate inside the earth and eventually devour it. This is what Einstein's theory of relativity (which has so far stood up to all experiments designed to test it) predicts would occur.
From the wiki article.

They is going to cause the Earth to implode. Screw the subway Archimedes, hijack a rocket and go to the Moon. That way you can meet the man on the moon, and Alice.

woot21 out dawgs

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Interesting. However, the possible devastating consequences are certainly a factor to worry about. Although, this is definitely going to be an amazing scientific breakthrough if it succeeds.

Archimedes, I'll bring the jackhammer. Let's hope we can jack a few cars with it, maybe even a subway train. Any debris we can get that can help guard us from a black hole. Shall we alert Swampy?

Nny

Yeah, about that...
From the wiki article.

They is going to cause the Earth to implode. Screw the subway Archimedes, hijack a rocket and go to the Moon. That way you can meet the man on the moon, and Alice.

woot21 out dawgs
It was nice knowing you guys. :(

@Cain Nightroad: No, nothing can destroy Swampykins.
@SlipKnoT: So true. <3

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet

D: I wanted IRL Half Life! Oh well. See you guys in hell.

Profesco

gone gently
Well, this is a case to pay attention to. The fact that Hawking radiation (which claims it's safe) hasn't been tested, while Einstein's theory of relativity (which claims it's dangerous) has stood up to thousands of tests, puts a little more emphasis on the disastrous consequences. I have to admit, I will be wary of this experiment.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Well, this is a case to pay attention to. The fact that Hawking radiation (which claims it's safe) hasn't been tested, while Einstein's theory of relativity (which claims it's dangerous) has stood up to thousands of tests, puts a little more emphasis on the disastrous consequences. I have to admit, I will be wary of this experiment.

Yes, it is much more to worry about than 6/6/06, that's for certain. I wonder what would happen if miniature black holes are unleashed. One thing is for certain: it can't be too good. Especially if it messes up the ozone layer; that could cause serious damage.

Nny

Yeah, about that...
Yes, it is much more to worry about than 6/6/06, that's for certain. I wonder what would happen if miniature black holes are unleashed. One thing is for certain: it can't be too good. Especially if it messes up the ozone layer; that could cause serious damage.
I hear that if it were to suddenly disappear, we would seriously burn up and the ocean would boil to nothing.

Something about the radiation causing us to like seriously die painfully and such, it wasn't pretty to hear.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Interesting. However, the possible devastating consequences are certainly a factor to worry about. Although, this is definitely going to be an amazing scientific breakthrough if it succeeds.

Archimedes, I'll bring the jackhammer. Let's hope we can jack a few cars with it, maybe even a subway train. Any debris we can get that can help guard us from a black hole. Shall we alert Swampy?

Debris, you say? I could get plenty of debris of whatever type is necessary and cram it all in a bus, then drag it down to the subway in which you'd be doing this? If need by, I'll grab a few other cars after I get the bus full of **** down there?

Also, I'd bring... would we need caffeine?