• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like A Meowth To Flame (402)

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
oh boy, wanna say a lot of things on the various subjects this thread touches on.... I might go into a few rants, so brace yourselves.

I wouldn't complain about Nyaasu and Persian battling. We haven't seen a Persian in action since the Orange Islands, and we almost never see a Nyaasu other than Rocket Dan's, let alone one that seems extremely battle competant. I've been saying this since sometime shortly after AG started, but Nyaasu really appears to be the number 2 bigshot Pokemon only after Pikachu itself, and Nyaasu In Boots seems to be their way of showing this particular Pokemon species in a good light (it's not exactly the talking Nyaasu that the species is so well-known for, but a Nyaasu nontheless). I anticipate seeing a good fight between Pikachu and this Nyaasu, two extremely popular Pokemon in a conflict that doesn't involve Pikachu blowing something away with one attack.

Elebuu and Sawamular getting screentime, though, yeah, they got enough. Like you said, a Kapoera or, as someone mentioned in the preview thread for that episode, a Nokotchi, or some other Jouto Pokemon whose only noteworthy appearance was a forgettable filler would've been nice. Speaking of Jouto Pokemon, I agree with everyone else, they really have gotten the shaft. It's one thing for the GSC generation to have a reputation of the worst adaption in the entire anime, and for the Jouto Pokemon to not even get good showcasing in what's rightfully their tournament, but the abuse didn't end there. The continent of Kantou got to be rereleased in the advanced generation of games, while Jouto's nowhere in sight. Fire Red and Leaf Green also appear to be a hit, getting their own adaption in the Special manga, as well as several cameo appearances by old Pokemon in the anime (plus Haruka even getting one such Pokemon herself). Colloseum (what would roughly be considered the GSC Pokemon's game in the current generation), meanwhile, flopped. Apparently, it's so bad, it can't even get any manga or anime adaption of its own, and to add insult to injury, they divide all the remaining GSC Pokemon between Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald, making Colloseum seem obsolete for those trying to obtain them. Now, I myself am of the majority that thought the Jouto anime saga totally sucked, it had quite a few rather lousy Pokemon, and yes, Satoshi's team was pathetic. I don't see why they feel the need to completely screw over the generation, though, especially when quite a few Jouto Pokemon are actually extremely cool, and Satoshi did have a couple worthwhile team members (aside from the obvious Heracross and wasted-potential Yorunozuku, I really adored his Bayleef. Can't hold a candle to my liking of his current grass-type, but I still adored her, and she's a helluva lot more likeable than Fushigidane IMO). Maybe if there is a Battle Frontier saga, they may get a little retribution.

Torkoal Stu said:
Yes Torkoal and Swellow might finaly get some hardcore Hoenn action! Torkoal got only one gym battle and Swellow got three but they haven't been used recently. Torkoal needs some action right? But asusual Glalie, Grovlye, Pikachu will get it all. I don't care about Corphish its kinda in the middle.

um.... Oosubame got 3 gym battles, two of which had it being the main showcase, and you say it doesn't get much action? What kind of rock have you been hiding under? The guy's been neglected as a Subame, true, but after his evolution, he's gotten enough screentime to more than make up for that. In fact, his screentime only dwindled after Fuu & Ran's gym battle, which was where Yukiwarashi came to take some last-minute spotlight with its training. If anything, Coatoise and Heigani are the ones waiting for some much-needed action, and to some extent, Onigohri (face it, he's been stealing the spotlight with his training the past 20 episodes, but he's never actually won a battle) and Juptle (I know, he got plenty of screentime since his days as a Kimori, but the guy's never had a victory since that double battle against Nuou and Todozeruga, and while I accept his loss against Lovecus as being a bit realistic, it was still very humiliating for a Pokemon like him nontheless and needs to be repented by now. I anticipate his evolution very soon). So long as Satoshi's agreeing to use his Houen team, though, we probably shouldn't worry about who gets how much screen time. Dividing such a thing between only 6 Pokemon is a helluva lot easier than dividing between a team plus several reserves.

So like, in the screenshots, I noticed Takeshi, Haruka, and Masato looking shocked while Satoshi talked with Ookido. Is that because of him declaring he wouldn't use his reserves? Also, in one screenshot, it looked like Ookido was looking away from the video camera. Anyone know what that's about?

Alfonso

Derpgull
Actually, although it wasn't anything like Special, Collosuem did get it's own manga. Two, in fact. A proper one, and one that was a Manga Walkthrough of the game... I recall seeing some scans of it over at the Bulbagarden forums. (The proper manga, I mean.)

Miror B. ;_;

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Transcription of the key portion of the Ash-Oak call:

Oak: Which pokemon are you going to use in the tournament? All the pokemon you've left with me are in top shape. I can send them at any time.
Ash: That won't be necessary.
Oak: Oh?
Ash: When I came to Houen, I brought only Pikachu with me, because I wanted to try a fresh start.
Oak: Oh yeah, that's right...
Ash: Then, working hard with the pokemon I caught here, we got all eight badges. I'd love to let Charizard and the others fight now, after so long, but Grovyle and the rest of my team are ready and willing to battle. So for this tournament, I want to fight with just Grovyle and the rest of my current team.
Oak: I see. That's good determination. It's true that you'd have an advantage by battling using pokemon that are rare in Houen. But you'd rather have even battles without resorting to that sort of strategy, right?
Ash: Right.
Oak: Then I won't say anything more. Just use all the power you have, and battle to the best of your ability.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Interesting, guess it really is his Hoenn team from start to finish.

I find it interesting that Ash mentioned Charizard though, when Charizard is not at Oaks. Looks like the writers don't consider Charizard (and to a lesser extent Squirtle) as released pokemon anymore.

Also interesting that Ash mentioned Grovyle, he must consider it his lead Hoenn pokemon.

JazzJazz

Murgatroyd said:

Oak: Which pokemon are you going to use in the tournament? All the pokemon you've left with me are in top shape. I can send them at any time.
Ash: When I came to Houen, I brought only Pikachu with me, because I wanted to try a fresh start.
Ash: Then, working hard with the pokemon I caught here, we got all eight badges. I'd love to let Charizard and the others fight now, after so long, but Grovyle and the rest of my team are ready and willing to battle. So for this tournament, I want to fight with just Grovyle and the rest of my current team.
Oak: I see. That's good determination. It's true that you'd have an advantage by battling using pokemon that are rare in Houen. But you'd rather have even battles without resorting to that sort of strategy, right?
Oak: Then I won't say anything more. Just use all the power you have, and battle to the best of your ability.

Ash seems pretty damn set on sticking with his current team, here's hoping it all works out for him. Oh, I agree with Cybercubed, Ash seems to have a lot of focus on grovyle as being the star of his current line-up.

P

Pyro_Shocker

Even if he was to use his older pokemon, the only pokemon I'd be intrested in seeing are:

Snorlax, Muk, Heracross, Tauros, Phanpy, and possibly Noctowl.

I'm tired of his constant use of his older fire/water/grass type especially when one is over used and needs to stay gone(Charizard), and the others except Bayleef are pre-evolves that dont look right making it far in a league. Phanpy is an exception because it needs some spotlight

Now I really don't care about the Hoenn League because of what Ash chose to do..I just have to wait and watch the grass-lizard's [SPOIL]A[/SPOIL]S[SPOIL]S[/SPOIL] get kicked:D

~sobs~ *poor Bayleef, Charizard and the others* ~sobs~

H

Hales

Yeah we know that Ash's Hoenn team (except the people who are going to argue about the other teams Ash has had ;)) is the best but Ash and his team have to show that to all the people at the tournament, mainly by beating Masamune and the new guy... speaking of which any idea what their English names are going to be? ;)

Kojiro said:
Any idea of what that guy with the Meowth's japanese name is, it isn't Jouji is it (Long story). If it was Antonio, that would be funny!

dont even go there again lol....... anyways whats the topic again?............ oh yeah the massumune and "jouji" episode.........lol yeah check my last post

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Almighty Zard said:
yes his hoenn team is well built compared to others, also Corphish is not the only can evolve you know...points at grass lizard.
Yes, yes, a Grovyle Evolution would obviously help the Team along [any evolution does] but Grovyle is very strong as it is. So is Corphish. That's why their evolutions aren't essential to Ash winning the Hoenn League, but they would help him quite a bit. But the difference between a Corphish Evolution and a Grovyle evolution is...

- If Corphish evolved, it would greatly balance out Ash's Team as all of Ash's Pokemon would have evolved at least once [Pikachu will never evolve and Torkoal can't]. In the League, it's all about Variety.

- If Grovyle evolved, it would be yet another Charizard. It would become the ring leader to Ash's Team making all of his other Hoenn Pokemon look...less significant [ESPECIALLY Corphish being the only not fully evolved Pokemon] Though Sceptile could take care of Rock/Ground Pokemon, a Water type is sorely needed to deal with Fire types.

With all of Ash's Pokemon fully evolved but Corphish, Ash might expect too much of it which may lead to it's doom. But I'm just being dramatic :p

Murgatroyd said:

Yayz! It's conformed! *sighs with relief* When Ash said "Fresh Start", he MEANT "Fresh Start"! Noble, noble Ash.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Kawaiiest.Combusken said:

Yes, yes, a Grovyle Evolution would obviously help the Team along [any evolution does] but Grovyle is very strong as it is. So is Corphish. That's why their evolutions aren't essential to Ash winning the Hoenn League, but they would help him quite a bit. But the difference between a Corphish Evolution and a Grovyle evolution is...

- If Corphish evolved, it would greatly balance out Ash's Team as all of Ash's Pokemon would have evolved at least once [Pikachu will never evolve and Torkoal can't]. In the League, it's all about Variety.

- If Grovyle evolved, it would be yet another Charizard. It would become the ring leader to Ash's Team making all of his other Hoenn Pokemon look...less significant [ESPECIALLY Corphish being the only not fully evolved Pokemon] Though Sceptile could take care of Rock/Ground Pokemon, a Water type is sorely needed to deal with Fire types.

With all of Ash's Pokemon fully evolved but Corphish, Ash might expect too much of it which may lead to it's doom. But I'm just being dramatic :p

Yayz! It's conformed! *sighs with relief* When Ash said "Fresh Start", he MEANT "Fresh Start"! Noble, noble Ash.

look considering that i hate grass types, and the treecko evolution line being the only exception, i don't want Grovyle ending up in it's second form and not progressing ala Bayleef if you get my meaning. The only thing wrong i could see from this would be once again people saying the writers are picking on Corphish when i would like to know how they are.

Last edited:

OMG, first the Snorunt evolution, and now this. I'm starting to regain my faith in the writers. And the fact that Ash emphasized Grovyle is exciting me even more! If Ash sticks to his fresh start until the end of the league, then I think there would definitely be an evolution for either Corphish or Grovyle.

I agree wholly with Ash's decision that Charizard should be kept out. Although I would have liked to see his Johto pokemon again, it wouldn't have been for the cost of Charziard returning.

*Checks out the episode pics.*

Well, let's just say that I had a feeling Mr. Goodshow was going to appear again. :)

Oh, and thanks for giving out the translation of the conversation with Oak. And now we all know that there's only one way Ash would HAVE to use his old pokemon. We have yet to see if the writers will put in that little twist. :)

As for who I want to evolve during the league, it's either Grovyle or Corphish. Though I would like it more if Corphish evolved. :)

I'm going to be missing Pokemon alot thanks to my new job! -_- And I'm gonna need all the new info I can get to keep up with the Anime. :)

Well, it looked pretty good, and it sounds quite intresting. I just wish I could get to see it. ;_;

Well, see ya. :)

And now we all know that there's only one way Ash would HAVE to use his old pokemon. We have yet to see if the writers will put in that little twist.

Enlighten me please. What is that one way?

I

Indigo

Murgatroyd said:

I hope you will all excuse me for being too bold, but that's a Grovyle evolution being set up to occur...very...very...shortly.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Hey, people getting upset over him not using his old Pokemon, well THEORY!

Ok, techinclly the Battle Frontier isn't really the Hoenn League, so if he goes there, maybe we will see his old Pokemon again!

But, the good thing is he won't give Bulabasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard the spotlight where his new team rots (Johto Pokemon!)

EDIT: Saw episode, short points I'd like to make:

When Boots first appears, a quick spanish tune plays.....>.>

Tropius has a short cameo in the beginning, where they show some shots of Pokemon, including Aggron, Swampert, Blaziken, and machamp among Tropius. You can't see the Tropius on the pics on the site.

The Murkrow really don't seem to have any reason to attack, they just do. Plot device?

And James was Joy, not Jenny like I heard. This misunderstanding may be because when TR are disguised in the balloon, James as Joy is on the right, while Jessie disguised as Jenny is on the left. They suddenly switch sides after the Motto.

TR want to steal the flame so Giovanni can use it for cooking, cofee, and bath time...Upper body shot of Gio naked anyone?

Ash somehow jumps 20 feet in the air into TR's baloon.

Metagross is way smaller then in the movie.

Anybody notice the female professor on the other computer when Ash was talking to oak. Maybe a hint......

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
so Satoshi used Juptle's name with 'tachi', eh? Interesting. And he actually mentioned Lizardon specifically? Also interesting. Finally, all those damn Kantou fanboys can get a good dose of reality slammed into their faces.

Kawaiiest.Combusken said:

Um, are you forgetting that, this time around, nearly all of Satoshi's team is fully evolved? Sure, Jukain might end up being something of a ring leader, but unlike Lizardon, the difference in strength between him and the rest of his team wouldn't seem so significant. Not only are they evolved, like I said (and in all honesty, should a fully-evolved starter seem all 'that' different from other fully-evolved Pokemon?), but his whole team got a ton of training in and Satoshi's a much better strategist now. He wouldn't get so cocky as to fully rely on Jukain, and even if Jukain fell (assuming it's not his last), he might still be able to manage with the rest of his team. And Heigani, though unevolved, still manages to pack a punch.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Murgatroyd said:

Wow, that has to be one of the more inspirational things Ash/Satoshi has ever said. Many thanks for the translation Murgatroyd. It proves again that Ash does think about his other Pokemon, and also semi proves that Ash didn't really release Charizard, rather it seems to be a Pokemon he can get almost whenever he wanted to now.

It's also interesting that Oak noted Ash would have an added advantage if he used his older Pokemon that are rare in Hoenn. Though given how many Kanto/Johto Pokemon we've seen wild in Hoenn one has to wonder just which ones are rare there. ^_^