• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

theboar

Entei is Entei!
To all Anime fans:

Subbed, Dubbed or else?
Which one do you prefer to watch Anime and why?

I pick Dubbed because I like to hear english voice.
CC are necessary too.

So, it's your turn.

A

Auro

I'm going to take a leap and guess that 90% of people here will say subbed..

I like dubbed, I don't want to have to constantly read the bottom of the screen when I'm watching something.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
I like dubbed, most times. I love the Case Closed dub, but the Inuyasha I sometimes watch subbed. I just wish it was an exact sub. *twitch*

Oathkeeper

Pursuer of the Past
I like to choose.
Some dubs are really good: such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, or .hack//sign but sometimes I want to hear the sub as well just so I can hear it with its original VA's and the like.
Most of the time I think both are pretty good but sometimes one can be much better then the other, thus why I like to choose.

Chris

Old Coot
It's a 50/50 thing for me. Honestly, there ARE alot of dubs that stand out and some that are even better than the originals (Cowboy Bebop is the most noticable). However, there are just some really bad dubs. But those mainly apply to shows that end up on KidsWB, 4Kids TV and sometimes the lesser known shows on Toonami (like Rave Master's dub). People just tend to complain mostly about those particular dubs rather than take a look at others. Although, some are really just awful (Love Hina and Evangelion are just too painful to listen to in English :\).

A

Auro

Edward I really like the Love Hina dub, I own the entire series and I always watch the dub. I rolled my eyes when they gave Mitsune the southern accent at first, but it seemed fitting once I watched the subbed version. I like Koalla Su's dub voice too... Oh well, I guess it's a difference of taste.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.

I'd also like to remind everyone to keep it civil. If you like dubs, don't bash people who prefer subs and tell them how stupid they are. Likewise, if you like subs, don't bash people who prefer dubs and tell them how stupid they are. Let's leave comments like "elitist" and "dubbie" out of this.

Hakuryuu-chan

**wake up your HEART
Subbed. But if I'm only able to watch the dubbed, I would. I'm not exactly one who likes to watch certain dubs, but I can deal with it.

theboar

Entei is Entei!
Dogasu said:
I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.

You sticky my thread? Wow, thanks and it was my idea to create this thread and poll and see what you guys like.

I appreciate your words Dogasu. :D

Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
Kira: Wow, you're... a girl.
Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.

With this in mind, anyone who watches subs just for 'the cursing' are very sad people. Aside from having this emphasis that "cursing automatically makes a show more mature", it seems that they'll just mindlessly read anything displayed at the bottom of the screen without even trying to listen to the actual Japanese dialogue. I bet if a character, who's ready to eat a meal, says 'itadakimasu' and the subtitles say "Let's go kill that guy!", those type of people would actually believe that's what's being said. I personally prefer subs over dubs, but I do pay attention to the actual Japanese dialogue. For that matter, I'm actually taking an effort to learn the language so I won't even have to be dependant on subtitles all my life.

Last edited:

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
theboar said:
Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?

In Case Closed it's the dub that's more violent:

English:

Conan (Jimmy's voice since he's thinking): Man, she kicks ***

Japanese and subbed:

Conan (thinking): Man, she's strong.

The former is funnier in the scene, IMO.

C

Chaos_Angel

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket.

C

Chaos_Angel

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket. Plus, I prefer the Japanese voices since most are good actors/actresses, no translation loss of comedy (especially with Azumanga Daioh), and just a cool language in general.

Kanta-chan

I dunno. I like dubbed animes since I could just listen to the words without reading anything. But subbed animes are good also since . . . Some shows are better subbed. Cardcaptor Sakura was heavily edited into "Cardcaptors" and that kinda made me mad. >_>

Meh, overall, it just depends on how good the dub is really . . .

N

Necrox

I dunno.

First, i don't like them to be dubbed in english, but i like them in spanish :p but i also like the subbed.

Inuyasha is a good example of my preferences:

The voices of the characters are very good(in spanish), but on the other hand, the Tetsaiga is called "Colmillo de acero"(Iron Fang) >_>.

DJ-Will

Twilight of Aquarius
Most animes I've seen have good dubs, but then again, I do have poor judgement in terms of acting. Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Big O, Yu-Gi-Oh, it's all good. It's the live-action stuff I like subbed.

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
I prefer dubbed, but I don't mind subbed either.
The reason I prefer dubbed is because I like keeping my eye on the artwork and absorbing everything thats happening on the screen.
Anime is very beautiful. Even more so than live action media I believe.
So I really don't want to be reading when I could be focusing on the eye candy.

Specially when i'm watching an action anime. I like to pay specific attention to the techniques they use to see if I can identify any of their styles.

Haruka's Swimsuit

Bomberhead 18-kin!
Yamato-san said:
I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.

Don't forget emphasis; as with any language, it's not just what you say, but how you say it. If someone's yelling a potential obscenity, I would think they're leaning toward the swear rather than angrily saying 'darn.' Speaking of which, I highly doubt that any Japanese word could equate to the English "darn." Seeing as how 'darn' has two meanings; one of which is to mend something by sewing and the second being a euphemism for "damn." It's just a tad too convenient that one term could encompass a swear and somehow magically define its weaker version as well.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
I wanna choose. The original voices are nice, but if I didn't have a choice, I would choose dubbed. In subbed, you have to read the words and can't concentrate on the action as much.