• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
Dubbed. Having to constantly read will take you out of what is going on, especially if there is action. Nothing yo do with laziness.

if u watch sub u will get use to it and be able to read and watch at the same time. ive seen a ton of subbed animes and not once did i miss out on the action.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
Subbed. Voices are better, and dubbed usually brings out possibly weird lines.

If there's "weird lines" that's to do with the writing, not the translation. Not to mention the translations nowadays are more or less exactly the same, just slightly altered to fit the voice of the characters.

Anyway, I posted here ages ago but I have a question - has anyone ever watched an anime in one form (subbed/dubbed) and then re-watched it in another? For example, I watch One Piece online in subbed so I don't have to wait for it to be dubbed or anything. But the DVD's for One Piece have recently started coming out here in the UK and I found myself buying the first boxset a few weeks ago. I didn't just wanna re-watch the same stuff, so I decided to re-watch them dubbed for a slightly different experience. Also, its nice to wait and see what the English voices of all the characters I already know are gonna be like, especially since One Piece and Dragonball Z's characters have very similar voice actors in their English voices (Luffy/Gohan, Zoro/Piccolo, Buggy/Vegeta and Sanji/Trunks) I like doing this because I feel it keeps the experience fresh, and waiting to hear the "new" voices leaves something new to be discovered.

AstroZombie

We Are 138
Subbed. The Japanese voice actors are much better in my opinion. Also, they often change the names of things when translated (usually slight changes to a character's name or altered attack names) and that irritates me.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Subbed. The Japanese voice actors are much better in my opinion. Also, they often change the names of things when translated (usually slight changes to a character's name or altered attack names) and that irritates me.

This, just... this. I tried watching dubbed and it annoyed me so much that I just gave up. Subbed>dubbed 95% of the time

Lanik

While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub.
This doesn't make sense to me. Anime subs always come first. As if popular dubbed versions of shows was never disliked by fans who grew accustomed to their subbed versions. Also, Fairy Tail doesn't sound all that bad in English. I for one thought the Funimation dub was well done.

D!3g0

If there's "weird lines" that's to do with the writing, not the translation. Not to mention the translations nowadays are more or less exactly the same, just slightly altered to fit the voice of the characters.

Anyway, I posted here ages ago but I have a question - has anyone ever watched an anime in one form (subbed/dubbed) and then re-watched it in another? For example, I watch One Piece online in subbed so I don't have to wait for it to be dubbed or anything. But the DVD's for One Piece have recently started coming out here in the UK and I found myself buying the first boxset a few weeks ago. I didn't just wanna re-watch the same stuff, so I decided to re-watch them dubbed for a slightly different experience. Also, its nice to wait and see what the English voices of all the characters I already know are gonna be like, especially since One Piece and Dragonball Z's characters have very similar voice actors in their English voices (Luffy/Gohan, Zoro/Piccolo, Buggy/Vegeta and Sanji/Trunks) I like doing this because I feel it keeps the experience fresh, and waiting to hear the "new" voices leaves something new to be discovered.

Yes, and I like to set a whole cast and think which actor goes with what character is really fun lol

Also, who likes to watch multilanguage videos of anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo-iqdaMYsc

I think the poll is missing another option, Both, I watch the original Japanese (I just prefer to watch it without subtitles - only once with subtitles to understand, but all other times without them) and I also watch dubbed versions as well.

I watch the Spanish (Latin American version - as its my 1st language too) dub and really love how they use all the popular culture/puns/"childish" insults that make sense at least for me makes it 10 times funnier and more enjoyable to watch than the English dub.

Poll the closest for me was "I want to be able to choose either one" but yeah, "Both" should have been added.

KanashiiCurry

Max Ether
It depends whether I like the VAs... I loved the 4kids Pokemon, but I switched to Japanese when the VAs changed... :/
But I'd say in most cases the original Japanese is more appealing.... it's simply better structured and makes more sense (because it is the original..). Sometimes the dub just sounds awkward.

I like it subbed, some of the voice actors that we get for dubbed versions make me cringe. The only exceptions to this are probably Dragon Ball voice actors since I grew up with the anime and Goku's voice is terrible in the Japanese version.

I like it subbed, some of the voice actors that we get for dubbed versions make me cringe. The only exceptions to this are probably Dragon Ball voice actors since I grew up with the anime and Goku's voice is terrible in the Japanese version.
Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo. The English voice acting there is impeccable.

That said, subbed all the way.

Why does everyone like subs? Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?

Yes, I seriously did just say that. From my perspective just as someone who bumps into subbed anime by mistake (As a side note, I have watched some Godzilla movies in subbed form before, just as trial and error, so I know what it's like to watch something in a foreign language with english subtitles) Most Japanese voice actors for female characters sound like 12-year-old girls, where as most characters in english dubbed anime are way more fitting and more mature, both literally and figuratively. But that aside, I for one don't really care that much when it comes to performance in voice acting. So what if the dubbers did a bad job? It's the plot and characters I care about. Long-story short, the only thing I care about in an anime is the anime itself, NOT the outside world that creates it.

If I wanted to READ an anime, I'd go read the original manga. There's a thing for you, subbers! You complain about dubs ruining the originality of an anime, yet the anime itself, dubbed or subbed, doesn't create any concerns for you since 99.9% of all anime is developed from a manga? The manga IS as original as you can get.

Jeez, some things are so mainstream you won't find an opposite anywhere else.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Why does everyone like subs? Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?
Because of opinion.

Yes, I seriously did just say that. From my perspective just as someone who bumps into subbed anime by mistake (As a side note, I have watched some Godzilla movies in subbed form before, just as trial and error, so I know what it's like to watch something in a foreign language with english subtitles) Most Japanese voice actors for female characters sound like 12-year-old girls, where as most characters in english dubbed anime are way more fitting and more mature, both literally and figuratively. But that aside, I for one don't really care that much when it comes to performance in voice acting. So what if the dubbers did a bad job? It's the plot and characters I care about. Long-story short, the only thing I care about in an anime is the anime itself, NOT the outside world that creates it.

Voice acting is like, the biggest part of anime after the animation. We care if it's bad. We don't wanna listen to shitty dubs for 12 episodes just because of a decent story.

There's a thing for you, subbers! You complain about dubs ruining the originality of an anime, yet the anime itself, dubbed or subbed, doesn't create any concerns for you since 99.9% of all anime is developed from a manga? The manga IS as original as you can get.
Just because the plot came from elsewhere doesn't make the anime any less original. The manga doesn't even have sound.

Have you ever though that people don't want to wait 1-2 years for a dub? Also the fact the most dub anime these days are dubbed by the same few companies so everyone eventually ends up sounding like Goku or Piccolo.

Because of opinion.

It was a rhetorical question. Granted, it's opinion and preference, but why does everyone have that opinion? It's so mainstream.

Voice acting is like, the biggest part of anime after the animation. We care if it's bad. We don't wanna listen to shitty dubs for 12 episodes just because of a decent story.

As I've said, acting does not necessarily matter to me. I'm not expecting Daniel Day-Lewis, I just wanna know what's happening in the anime. The show itself matters the most to me.

Just because the plot came from elsewhere doesn't make the anime any less original. The manga doesn't even have sound.

They say books are always better than movies, so wouldn't that be similar for anime/manga?

Have you ever though that people don't want to wait 1-2 years for a dub? Also the fact the most dub anime these days are dubbed by the same few companies so everyone eventually ends up sounding like Goku or Piccolo.

The new season of High School DxD is currently airing. If I wanted to I could go and watch it as as sub, but I'm fine with waiting two years for a dub.

Vernikova

Champion
Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?

I prefer dubs but I'm okay with either. Don't even remember the last time that I watched a sub though outside of the Anime Network.

Xylo

I prefer watching anime subbed. I like to hear the original voices & in my opinion, subbed has more emotion. However, some anime are better dubbed.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Sound is irrelevant. The writing and the drawings in the manga is what makes it original. Besides, you don't need sound to enjoy reading manga, when you can just imagine your own. One thing about manga is that you can make your own perspective on the what characters should like - but with anime, the voices have already been offered to you. Just use your imagination.
Sound is relevant when talking about voice acting because the VA is sound.

LOL. Coming from a dub hater, I shouldn't be surprised that you would say something like this.

I'm sure you've seen all dubs to know that everyone has a manly voice like that of Goku or Piccolo. :rolleyes:
I'm not even a dub hater so I don't know where you got that from.

As for the other comment, it was a reference to how much of a monopoly Funimation and 4kids has/had on dub anime.

Oh, and by the way, I have seen or sampled just about all dubbed anime that is readily available so yeah.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
They say books are always better than movies, so wouldn't that be similar for anime/manga?

No, there are quite a few occasions where the anime is superior to the original manga, K-ON! (which coincidentally has a terrible dub) probably being the best example.