• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

Ibuki Mioda

SHSL: Light Music
Ibuki loves loves loves subbed anime. Dubbed voices don't fit in with characters and the personalities. A great example is Gasai Yuno from Mirai Nikki. You would expect her to have a cute and queaky voice but no, she gets a middle aged woman voicing her. Terrible, absolutely terrible. Subbed anime feels more natural and Ibuki doesn't mind reading the text on the bottom on the screen. Teehee~

shikatema88

I like subbed more though I do enjoy the dubbed voices because I can't help but think of the voice actors other roles. Like hearing Piccolo in every anime that Funimation dubs

Nyoah

The Dark Azure
i prefer to understand what i hear more
it is absolutely pointless for me to watch sub and if the dub had a really horrible VA like highschool of dead, i'll simply read the manga
sure both manga and sub requires reading, but im not the kind of guy who can hear something and still be able to read, its an issue for me

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Subbed for sure.
In my opinion, I think the voices sound better in Japanese in every anime I've watched.

I always attempt to find a subbed over a dubbed anime. This is usually because I prefer to read the true story than to endure them attempting to fit the story/script in with what they have. Sometimes dubs can be fairly close to what was originally intended (such as Studio Ghibli films as a ton of work is put into them) but I am a little odd and enjoy reading subtitles regardless as they ensure you're getting all of the information and you're paying attention.

I'm not going to judge someone over wanting to watch a dub if they have tried subs before and cannot stand them, but I will always encourage people to try as it's more representative of what the original filmmakers intended. :)

flyer1228

Novice Shiny Hunter
Subbed. English just isn't right. I mean, the japanese voices just fit perfectly. Plus if it's an action packed anime like Bleach, then the subtitles definitely help, because I just can't hear Ichigo's voice over the violence.

Illusione-Tempus

Yo... um... I decided to search for my post in this thread back when I was still... quite young. Back when I had watched more dubs than subs. Back when I rarely watched anime, unlike now. And I saw how little my opinion is regarding to this topic. So here I'm back with an actual opinion.

Okay, I'll just be completely honest here: I'll be basing this on the dubs that come from my own country, as that's the one that I've been listening to more than the English ones. So if anyone wants to go on about that's a stupid point to be standing, then I'll tell that I do sometimes watch English dubs, okay? And note: There are several anime that I watched in both versions as well, but I honestly still prefer the subs.

The only reason why I prefer watching subs is basically... their voice acting is better. Okay, now here's the thing. Indonesian dubs (yay, my country and the language is revealed) SUCK. They have no emotion. No passion. Nothing. You don't know how much I hated them. I swear, English dubs have better acting than my own country. And I feel like hearing only a single person throughout those dubs.

Okay, back to subs vs. english dubs. Alright, I'll just say that at the time I first posted, I said that subs are better, and it was back at 2009 when I have only watched very few anime. I had only completed Digimon from Adventures - Frontiers, and Frontiers was the only one I watched in subs as I only had the subbed version back then. The rest were English dubs. And to be honest... I enjoyed Frontiers the most. I actually like Tamers more since it was one of my childhood anime, despite it was dubbed in Indonesian (although I ended up finishing it in English), but Frontiers was just better in every aspect imo. And when I decided to give the Frontier dubs a go, which is probably like 2 years since I first watched it (and obviously you'll kinda forget how the voice acting was), it wasn't... very appealing.

Sure, maybe there might be a few dubs out there that's actually good. However, I'd rather stick to the subs and the original Japanese since they portray the characters better. I mean, if you have an emotionless character and you give it a non-emotionless voice acting, I'll dislike it even if it's the first version I watched... Plus, I find it fun listening to a different language than mine. :>

(By the way, if you really need an actual reason why I think Japanese voice acting is better... They portray MLP: FiM fantastically in Japanese. P: )

Dwlr

Banned
I'll only really watch a show if it's dubbed. I have no interest in learning Japanese and even if I did I'd still not want to watch something in an unnatural language for me. As for subbed I don't want to have to read what I'm watching either, it not only takes some of the focus away from watching the show to read the sub-titles it requires some marginal level of effort that simply watching the show wouldn't, lazy perhaps, but it's all just a preference anywho.

Alot of the times if I do hear the Japanese voices I like the English voice actors sound over that of the Japanese voice actors.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

This statement sounds dumb, really.

But eh... I don't actually care. I prefer dubbed because I have a better grasp of my own language, eh! I fail to comprehend some emotions which voices usually carry. However, I really... Don't care. If I can have dubbed, I'll prefer it. But I don't search for dubbed animes only.

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
Normally I don't really care, but it is a tad annoying to read it after a few hours of watching anime. Everything in moderation I guess.

Alfon

Big Game
I get it if they don't have Dubs.... but c'mon now some male japanese va's plain old sound like little girls....