• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
That depends if the cast change in question was actually required, like say - oh a certain VA quits (by their own choice) or the VA dies or something. Then yes, I can understand a VA change there.

But honestly, something like an entire cast change happening all at once leaves me both suspicious and baffled, especially when it doesn't seem necessary.

Afterall, not every VA switch has to happen. They can sometimes be prevented or avoided altogether.

And I'm sure there are lots of anime series that never have VA switches. So I don't see why wanting the voice acting in a dub to stay the same is really a bad thing. Of course, every fan his his/her own wishes for how they'd like a dub series to be improved, some people want less edits, some people want more BGM to be kept, voice acting is just my own little gripe.

Last edited:

Kuroshi

That depends if the cast change was actually required, like say - oh a certain VA quits (by their own choice) or the VA dies or something. Then yes, I can understand a VA change there.

But honestly, something like an entire cast change happening all at once leaves me both suspicious and baffled, especially when it doesn't seem necessary.

Afterall, not every VA switch has to happen. They can sometimes be prevented or avoided.

DragonBall Z
Sailor Moon
One Piece
Sonic (Video Game)
Even Naruto rearranged some character voices in the very beginning.

It is very common, and a natural part of the dubbing process, even in Japan characters can wind up having different seiyu for various reasons. People that enjoy these shows continue watching them because ultimately dub or no, it comes down to one thing, are you a fan of the show or are you a fan of the actor?

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Hmm, I suppose you make a good point there.

Togepimags

~Pichu Trainer~
Actually,I prefer no subtitles in japanese so i can learn a little more. ^_^
;040;

Depends on the series. Most of the ones I watch I prefer dubbed because I first saw them on TV so I'm used to them in English. However, if I start a series out subbed then I tend to prefer that. Though AMG's the only one I can recall watching subbed. XD;

Pickles951

1337 Pwnz0r
I like subtitled because the english versions mess up the chats and sounds of the characters

Rave

Banned

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
I don't mind subbed animes, except for those that are in anything not english :(. Dubbed gets pretty annoying, and it makes the character sound not like them >_>.

DragonBall Z
Sailor Moon
One Piece
Sonic (Video Game)
Even Naruto rearranged some character voices in the very beginning.

It is very common, and a natural part of the dubbing process, even in Japan characters can wind up having different seiyu for various reasons. People that enjoy these shows continue watching them because ultimately dub or no, it comes down to one thing, are you a fan of the show or are you a fan of the actor?
I can understand things like Sailor Moon, DBZ, and especially One Piece, but I saw no purpose in switching the Sonic cast. But that's just my opinion, and I'll save you from listening to a stupid rant. But anyway, it really depends on the way the anime is dubbed. If we were talking about an anime that tries to stick to the original (One Piece Funi,) and if it did well, then I'd prefer the dub, because there's a certain realism I feel whenever I watch the characters speak english. Now, if it was 4Kids, Sub, hands down.

HyenaHaze

Serial Experiment
I prefer subs because I just do. I don't know why. Plus, I read fast, so it's not a problem for me.
Edit: Yes I'm a weeaboo, kaythanx. I wouldn't be on a pokemon forum otherwise.

Aprilmandy

Call me Spirit
I usually didn't watch Anime subbed, but since I watched Sonic X subbed because of Wikipedia telling me some stuff I wanted to see that would only be in the sub because in America it would be cut out, the subbed sounds better since in the American version they act pretty obvious sometimes. But that might not be with all Animes. I don't mind reading subtitles, it's not too hard to do. But in high school I hope to learn Japanese, that'd be cool.