• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

RPG Maker

Lost Dreamer
After watching more Subbed anime I vote for Subbed!

Emerald Pikachu

Forest Dweller
I am not sure if ive posted here before, but i say subbed hands down.
I used to think that the dub versions were really good. Until i watched the japanese versions (particularly Shaman King) and realised exactly how much BETTER the subs are.
I don't mean any offence to anyone who likes dubs, but one thing i REALLY dislike is that they have a habit of giving characters big egos. Egos which they sometimes didn't have in the japanese versions.

S

Silence_Knight

I much prefer to watch subbed anime. When a lot of anime shows are dubbed they get completely messed up. There are some shows such as Full Metal Alchemist that get dubbed rather well but others such as Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z are not.

F

forbidden

I chose subbed because original is ALWAYS better. When you dub something from the native language to lets say English, the translation not perfect. Since the translation is not perfect, the dub does not retain the quality of the original. It could only be equal(very unlikely) or worse.

Now you're probably gonna defend dub and say to me: "But the sub translations aren't perfect either!" No, of course not, but I won't compare subs made by companies to dubs. I'll compare fansubs to dubs. Fansubbers usually do a better job at translating something than a professional translater. So dubs lose. Also, not every word in japanese has a word with the exact meaning in English. This makes dubbing hard than subbing. Dubbing companies have to retain the original op/ed songs for an anime or make up a new song which will turn out crappy (One Piece rap)

C

Chaos Angel

Sometimes I prefer dubbed, because it is easier to focus on the action, rather than having to read what people are saying and possibly miss important things happening. If the dub is done well (which does happen sometimes), then I prefer it to the japanese version.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Emerald Pikachu said:
I am not sure if ive posted here before, but i say subbed hands down.
I used to think that the dub versions were really good. Until i watched the japanese versions (particularly Shaman King) and realised exactly how much BETTER the subs are.
I don't mean any offence to anyone who likes dubs, but one thing i REALLY dislike is that they have a habit of giving characters big egos. Egos which they sometimes didn't have in the japanese versions.

actually, not all dubs are as unfaithful as Shaman King's (or anything done by 4kids for that matter), so comparing the two's not really a good idea. I recommend buying those uncut Shaman King DVDs that were released last year and watching both the dub and sub, because the uncut dub's pretty good, or better yet, look into .hack//SIGN or Full Metal Alchemist. I can agree with you on subs being better, but just letting you know that a horrid, TV dub by one of the worst localizers isn't the best thing to base a comparison off of.

Chris

Old Coot
Purkka said:
Subbed. Dubbed, big NO. No, BIGGEST no.
So you prefer mute silence with just words on the screen? :p Cause dub doesn't refer to just an English spoken language. There's also a Japanese dub.

forbidden said:
Fansubbers usually do a better job at translating something than a professional translater.
lmao Have you SEEN the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT fansubs compared to the official ones by Steven J. Simmons? The fansubs are HORRIBLE and terribly inaccurate. Fullmetal Alchemist is also better translated officially. I dunno where you got the idea that fansubbers are better at subbing than a professional one. If you're comparing fansubs to English dubs, then you've got another thing to think about. They have a translator AND writers. Once the script and everything is translated, some dubbing companies run them by writers to tinker with stuff, like 4Kids. And not all the time is a fansubber correct compared to the dub. If you follow FUNimation's Steven J. Simmon's work, his translations are pretty much 100% accurate compared to the fansubs.

F

forbidden

Edward Elric said:
lmao Have you SEEN the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT fansubs compared to the official ones by Steven J. Simmons? The fansubs are HORRIBLE and terribly inaccurate. Fullmetal Alchemist is also better translated officially. I dunno where you got the idea that fansubbers are better at subbing than a professional one. If you're comparing fansubs to English dubs, then you've got another thing to think about. They have a translator AND writers. Once the script and everything is translated, some dubbing companies run them by writers to tinker with stuff, like 4Kids. And not all the time is a fansubber correct compared to the dub. If you follow FUNimation's Steven J. Simmon's work, his translations are pretty much 100% accurate compared to the fansubs.
I don't watch DBZ/GT. There's a difference between crappy fansubs and good fansubs. FMA is one of the most oversubbed animes, but out of all those fansubbers only one or two groups are good.

H

Howling Cat

The only time I watched subbed was on the Inuyasha movie because I was curious to know how there japanese voices sounded. What would be a good idea is to watch the dub so you know what's going on and then watch the sub unless your like me were your eyes gradually move down and you start reading it ^_^

MarcmenX

Jynx's husband
I honestly have no problem with dubs, really. The only dub company I dislike is 4kids...

It really depends on the anime to which I perfer subbed or dubbed... example:

I perfer the sub of One Piece, but I perfer the dub (Redub actually) of DBZ

S

Shooting_star

I only watch sub when there is no other choice to either watch dub or sub. Like most people do.

But i am mainly a dub girl. I just find it easier to listen to the dubs then read the subs. When you are short sighted then reading subs from a long distances is real hard to see. On occasions i will watch subs when i can be borthed reading.

I choose subbed, because I like the original voices - they seem to act better. Though I have a need to see some dubbed Inuyasha for all the voices in it that I've heard before in stuff like Gundam Wing.

S

Shiro

I love the dubbed ones. It's cool to hear the original actors, but the subs can get annoying after a while, and it's too easy to miss the subtleties in the action... although either subs or dubs can have mistakes in.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
I don't mind it either way, really, except in extreme cases (CCS anyone?) where the dub is so screwed up that it messes up what the Anime is about... >.> Like CCS.. even though I LOVED Card Captors.. they just left so much out..

Idiots..

K

Kamairie

I perfer subbed if I can get them. But for anime which I have never seen before, I might actually watch the dub. Liking it or not is whether the translation on the dub is good or not, and that the voices didn't kill any of the characters.

I guess I like the original Japanese voices better too. I actually like the swearing. XD It adds humour.

F

Fleabitten

Yeah, like many on here I prefer subbed. I'll watch the dub if it can be done tastefully, and it sounds like the VAs actually TRIED, and didn't just come into work and read crappy romance novels between each of their lines XD

E

Eeveesin

It's usually sub for me. Most of the time, the Japanese voices are just better all the way. Some dubs, like Cardcaptors, are pretty good though. Unfortunately, I almost always can't get a hold of subbed anime...