• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

Banana Bloodplanet

Subbed. I can read what the characters are saying, so there's no chance of me not being sure what someone just said or hearing it wrong.

I don't mind going for dubbed if I have to, though.

Twidragon

To the Power of 27
I like the dubs if the voices are good. I know that there are anime like Elfen Leid that have crappy dubs. I perfer dubs because I can do other things to the side while watching.

Plus with subs, I hate reading. Its a pain for me :x

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Subbed.

To me, it's better off the original footage/lines are better off left alone. Dubbed just doesn't work well with me. Deleted scenes and different voice actors? I'm okay with it, but I'd rather the authentic work

RedAce♠

Ace Trainer
Dubbed all the way. It's stupid to have it subbed, unless you speak and understand the language to perfection. It's stupid to have to keep pausing and reading what there saying, it ruins what's going on. Though not to say some dubs are just... Awful. Like some beyblade metal fusion, bakugan, and few others... though it doesn't say sub is perfect, has anyone heard Goku when he is in SS3 mode? That was a good laugh ^^ Though I do like a few subs over dubs voices.

But I still say dub is better, unless you can understand the language. If you don't thne you voting on sub is kinda stupid ^^; I mean are you just watching it for the pretty pictures then?

RedAce♠

Ace Trainer
Because it's the original means it's automatically better? Not even the slightest bit true. Automatically deeming a dub to be inferior because it's not the original makes one a weaboo. Especially if they're quick to say "It sucks."

Now this guy has the right idea on this intire post, heck the whole debate over Dub vs. Sub. I give you a well deserved applauses Chris

Rex Kamex

Dubbed all the way. It's stupid to have it subbed,

Some want to see a show/movie how it originally was but can't understand the language enough to be satisfied watching it raw.

unless you speak and understand the language to perfection.

If you're watching it with subtitles and can follow the subs well, you don't need to speak and understand the language to perfection. Subtitles are put on things to help those who can't follow the language well.

It's stupid to have to keep pausing and reading what there saying, it ruins what's going on.

Some people can follow the subs more easily than others. I can usually do it pretty well unless I'm really tired.

Vernikova

Champion
It's stupid to have it subbed, unless you speak and understand the language to perfection.

Why would someone have a show subbed if they understand the language perfectly?

That said, I don't remember the last time I watched a sub of anything. I think I'm a dub-only person at this point.

Jaspcat

Subbed it needs to have the subtitles whilst still maintaining the integrity of the original production, english animes depending on the actors always pronounce stuff wrong
i.e. pokemon black/white the movies the way ash pronounces Macaroon it angers me due to the translator not knowing how to pronounce the word.

Rex Kamex

Subbed it needs to have the subtitles whilst still maintaining the integrity of the original production, english animes depending on the actors always pronounce stuff wrong
i.e. pokemon black/white the movies the way ash pronounces Macaroon it angers me due to the translator not knowing how to pronounce the word.

A macaroon is this. This is a macaron though. That might be the issue.

G50

No longer posting
I like dubbed better. With Subs I have to pause the episodes constantly just to read and know what they were saying since I'm a slow reader.
Dubbed I can understand everything, and Raw I can enjoy watching the full episode without pausing regardless if I can understand everything or not.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
To be honest, I think subbed anime actually helped me to become a better, faster reader. I used to be the average reader, then after regularly watching anime in 7-8 grade, I was reading at the college level by the time I got to my sophomore year of high school.

Arahabaki

Come at me bro.
i like both, but i prefer dubbed if there is one. but lately ive been hearing too much todd haberkorn, so ive been watching subs.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
I don't get all the folks saying they have trouble reading subtitles fast enough. Anyone with a basic reading ability should be able to see and get what the subs are saying, right?

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Dubbed all the way. It's stupid to have it subbed, unless you speak and understand the language to perfection. It's stupid to have to keep pausing and reading what there saying, it ruins what's going on. Though not to say some dubs are just... Awful. Like some beyblade metal fusion, bakugan, and few others... though it doesn't say sub is perfect, has anyone heard Goku when he is in SS3 mode? That was a good laugh ^^ Though I do like a few subs over dubs voices.

But I still say dub is better, unless you can understand the language. If you don't thne you voting on sub is kinda stupid ^^; I mean are you just watching it for the pretty pictures then?

If you have to pause when watching it subbed, then yes perhaps you're better off watching it dubbed. But most people don't. I tend to only hate the Dub after hearing it in Japanese. After all I watched Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and the like dubbed when I was younger without a complaint. DBZ is still fine for me, but now I cringe at the other two dubs. And the voices in a game like FF 13 don't bother me in the slightest(except Vanille of course.) Even good Dubs like Clannad I can't stand because I watched the sub first. Everybody has their own reasoning for their choice.

FinalSynFrey

For the most part, I prefer dub. Because I'd rather not spend 23 minutes reading subs and lose attention to the episode. I mean really, I sometimes get annoyed with few Japanese characters because of their voice.
However, It really depends on the Anime. If there's no dub, I'll watch the Japanese version and I got no problems with that, but again, I'd rather not read the subs and lose attention to the actual episode. I mean really, the only difference is minor edits and voices. Nothing drastic in my opinion.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
For the most part, I prefer dub. Because I'd rather not spend 23 minutes reading subs and lose attention to the episode. I mean really, I sometimes get annoyed with few Japanese characters because of their voice.
However, It really depends on the Anime. If there's no dub, I'll watch the Japanese version and I got no problems with that, but again, I'd rather not read the subs and lose attention to the actual episode. I mean really, the only difference is minor edits and voices. Nothing drastic in my opinion.

Out over 300 anime series I have seen, all subbed, I have never had the problem where I can't pay attention because I had to read the subtitles, you would have to be quite a slow reader if they were able to draw your attention away from an entire scene.

FinalSynFrey

Out over 300 anime series I have seen, all subbed, I have never had the problem where I can't pay attention because I had to read the subtitles, you would have to be quite a slow reader if they were able to draw your attention away from an entire scene.

I don't mind reading from a book, but I tend to avoid reading subs in episodes. I don't know, I'm more used to having no subs than with subs.

RedAce♠

Ace Trainer
Some want to see a show/movie how it originally was but can't understand the language enough to be satisfied watching it raw.

If you're watching it with subtitles and can follow the subs well, you don't need to speak and understand the language to perfection. Subtitles are put on things to help those who can't follow the language well.

Some people can follow the subs more easily than others. I can usually do it pretty well unless I'm really tired.

Yeah I know some folks like to watch the original. But I just feel if you have to read it to understand what there saying it ruins it ^^; But see what your saying. But some subs are just bad when there only on there for 3 seconds or so, and plus if there is alot of action going on in the background, it kinda dulls out the point of watching it. I can follow subs to a point, but I found myself enjoying dub way better, now I will admit there are some very bad dubs ^^; But some people are just too picky on some of the listings they have as a bad dub. But again I see your point and thank you for not bashing me.

Why would someone have a show subbed if they understand the language perfectly?

That said, I don't remember the last time I watched a sub of anything. I think I'm a dub-only person at this point.

I have tried sub a couple of time and it's not my cup of tea what so ever. I felt it ruined the anime I was watching more than if the said anime had bad dubing. All that reading takes away from watching the anime and the animes with alot of action in them, really get ruined everytime you have to pause, then read, then play again.

If you have to pause when watching it subbed, then yes perhaps you're better off watching it dubbed. But most people don't. I tend to only hate the Dub after hearing it in Japanese. After all I watched Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and the like dubbed when I was younger without a complaint. DBZ is still fine for me, but now I cringe at the other two dubs. And the voices in a game like FF 13 don't bother me in the slightest(except Vanille of course.) Even good Dubs like Clannad I can't stand because I watched the sub first. Everybody has their own reasoning for their choice.

Sometimes I do like the sound of the Japanese voice of an anime character better than the dub one, but I never hated the dub one after hearing the Jap one, though if your switch it I have had that happen a few times... Like hearing Jap. SS3 Goku powering up :/ But I still feel dub is better in some ways, but that's not to say I'm bashing any Japanese voice actors, I just get tired of folks saying the Sub or Jap version is better, just becauses it the original. That is not true at all. I'm just saying, stop being so picky on what the dub sounds like, you should be more mad if anything was cut-out. Also for me to hate a dub, it needs to be as bad as Beyblade Metal Fusion, 4kids dubing of anything ^^; and so forth. But I thought Naruto and One Piece was just fine, well one piece was fine till 4kids dubed it. Dark times, dark times. But when dubing is done by 4kids or any of those other bad companies, then I will admit off the bat that the Jap. version is better in everyway. Since 4kids cuts alot of stuff out, censores way too much, and they have some of the worse dubing, at least I feel that way. But yeah, everyone has there choice I'm not against that, I just want everyone to give dub the fair chance and standing it deserves. Thank you for not bashing as well.

I like dubbed with a sub.