• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters
I'm not sure why everyone thinks our eyes glued to the bottom of the screen when watching subbed anime. I can easily watch both the subs and show at the same time.

I guess it's just my mad skillz.

It was an expression. Of course we have two eyes to watch both at the same time, but it's tiresome after a while.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
It was an expression. Of course we have two eyes to watch both at the same time, but it's tiresome after a while.

Oh, I know. I'm not necessarily talking about you. It's just a lot of people make it sound harder than it actually is.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
dubbed because i want to be able to understand what they are saying without having to read subtitles all the time seriously i watch sub very rarely and even then it usually only clips from the show.

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
I'll take either-or, really. Usually the voices in the dub aren't too bad so I can watch and have no problem with them. At the same time, I have no problem reading subtitles and watching at the same time, so it's not a hindrance. So it just depends on which one I happen to stumble upon first.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I generally like dubbed because I generally find having to read to be a bit distracting. And, really, all Japanese voices sound the exact same to me, anyway.

I picked SUBBED...

However, there are certain anime that are actually good dubbed, you just need to find them but, the majority is better Subbed, for sure...

SpeedDeoxys

Am I wrong here?
^Same to me.

No particular preference. Anything that has half decent voice acting will satisfy me. Bebop is better dubbed, K-On is better subbed. Although in the case of Pokemon (And other childhood anime) watching it subbed would make me feel like a huge weeaboo

Ash1115

It depends on what I'm watching. If the dub was accurately translated with decent voice acting I'd probably go for that otherwise I'd watch subbed however, those can also be substandard at times. A perfect example of this would be the Metrodome release of the Takara Transformers series where both the dub and the subs were awful.

Vernikova

Champion
edit" lmao wrong thread. u,mmmm

I agree that watching Pokemon subbed is pretty damn weaboo.

Last edited:
Subbed are my first choice, RAW second, I rarely ever watch dubs.

Actually, now that I think of it, when it comes to Di Gi Charat, I prefer RAW first, subs second, and dubs never. I've been watching it RAW lately because everything that has been subbed, I've seen. I'm learning Japanese right now, so watching RAW helps, so I can listen more carefully and pick out things I understand. It really helps. Once I've seen something subbed multiple times, I just start watching it RAW and only go back to subbed while streaming on my Synchtube with others.

Rex Kamex

I disagree with the idea of it automatically being "weaboo-ish" to watch Pokemon in Japanese. The Japanese version isn't some hardcore teen show, but the differences between voices of the same character but in different language versions of the show (English and Japanese- and in fact, Japan didn't have a big voice switch like in the English dub), and certain lines different between the Japanese version and English do build up, and in my opinion, they build up significantly enough for the viewing experience to be really different. (Especially when background music and lyrical theme songs get considered.)

And even if the dubbing of the Pokemon series was much, much similar, I don't think it's automatically weaboo-ish to prefer watching the show in the language it was originally done in.

I do wish it were available legally subbed in English though, but... yeah, even among the older, forum-using part of the Pokemon fandom, there isn't that much of an interest.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
I prefer subbed, it helps me picture the characters better if i hear the original japanese voice actors. I'm okay with dubbed though, it really depends on the anime. Some sound better than others..

Ringworm128

Gen 3 and 4 fanatic.
I guess I prefer dubs since I actually fully know what I'm listening to, I don't speak Japanese therefore I can't ultimately tell if the acting is good or bad I can hear a few things in their performances but not as much as when I watch dubs. I can happily watch subs and enjoy them but I still prefer dubs since I can fully hear and understand everything including minor subtleties. I guess subs do have the novelty of being the original but when I watch them I don't feel like I'm getting the proper experience and I just feel that I'm watching something that wasn't made for me.

Last edited:

Outburstz

I watch sub because it comes out first. Most of the time the voices are good however there are a few times where the Japanese's voices stink but for the most part they are great (Blackbeards Japanese voice actor is just a boss)

I watch dub if it is available and I have not watched the series yet. I do not like reading I enjoy sitting back and just listening but since sub comes out first I roll with it.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Honestly if you have to keep rewinding subbed anime, then you're doing something wrong. It's actually supposed to incress your reading ability and speed. It's actually help me out a lot through my reading classes/