• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

Chris

Old Coot
Well, these were changes to the dubbed version right? I meant that fan subbed versions are usually uncut when aired. Of course the US has there own censor laws but they are way harsher than the Japanese. Different cultures and all. I do find the number of fingers change weird, but I don't think that counts as censoring.
No. Everything I mentioned was all changed as is in the Japanese version. Plus HxH (2011) doesn't have a dub. And yes, adding fingers is a form of censorship as Japan's reasoning is...odd.

I almost always opt for subs. I just find it more enjoyable to listen to the original Japanese VAs. Plus the vast majority of the anime I've watched don't have dubbed versions anyway.

I always read and am constantly told that Cowboy Beebop is a great example of dubbing done well, but by the time I've finished whatever series I was on I've forgotten that I meant to watch it and end up moving on to something else.

karczx

Definitely subbed. Since I'm somewhat sensitive to voices and I do enjoy hearing about voice actors outside of their shows, I dislike dub voice actors because the original voice has the right intonation and everything. Also watching subs prolonged for a certain amount of time (especially if you take the time to learn Japanese) would help you to understand them without subs so you can watch them raw.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Posted in this thread five years ago.

...It depends on the anime, really. If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub. Death Note for example I found better in English. While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub. Even some other anime I can think of aren't suited to ever hit English shores.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
Posted in this thread five years ago.

...It depends on the anime, really. If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub. Death Note for example I found better in English. While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub. Even some other anime I can think of aren't suited to ever hit English shores.

kinda this. i prefer watching sub but some dubs are better to watch like Dragon ball z, Yu Yu Hakusho and apparently Cowboy Bebop. but if the sub is good id rather watch everything subbed

Vernikova

Champion
Also watching subs prolonged for a certain amount of time (especially if you take the time to learn Japanese) would help you to understand them without subs so you can watch them raw.

Well, if you're learning Japanese properly then yeah it'll help.

Still, I've never met anyone who has learned Japanese from solely watching anime even though people say it all of the time.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub.

No dub, or sub, is objectively better than the other. It's all opinion based, and thinking about it isn't going to change the fact that some people just don't like dubs at all, regardless of how good a certain show's dub apparently is.

D

Deleted member 300066

Dubbed. It's not that I dont want to read its just that I'd rather watch whats going on on-screen and if I need to look away fom the TV for something (such as a text or DS game). I will miss out on what is said.

Vernikova

Champion
I don't know if you should be playing DS game when you're watching something. Besides that though, the animation in anime is usually not fluid enough for you to miss something unless it's a series with a very high budget or one where minor details in the background are important.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I don't know if you should be playing DS game when you're watching something. Besides that though, the animation in anime is usually not fluid enough for you to miss something unless it's a series with a very high budget or one where minor details in the background are important.

Myself I need to do something else while watching tv ,DS,Eating,HW

RasenShuriken6

Subbed without a doubt. To me it just sounds so much better than dub. That and there are a lot more subbed animes than dubbed.

IndigoTribesman

Compassion Warrior
Hmmm, for me it really depends on the Anime. I love Soul Eater and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood in Dub, Death Note, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club with subs and Naruto in either. So yeah, I don't mind usually either way, but I do have slight preferences.

Chris

Old Coot
kinda this. i prefer watching sub but some dubs are better to watch like Dragon ball z, Yu Yu Hakusho and apparently Cowboy Bebop. but if the sub is good id rather watch everything subbed
You forgot to add "Kai" at the end of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78xiwb8H-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzKWhCq2kN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDZERxqBQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoMjXyK1Wc

Take note on how better acting and sticking to the original script and music go a long way.

B-Rabbit

Abyssal
I'll have to say subbed and give a notion as to why.
Clannad have you heard it in english? Just No.
I lurvvvv Furukawa nagisa and Okazaki Ushio, BUT REALLY! the english voices are painful to the drums.

But on a serious note. The english voices for me, dont carry that true sincere notion that this anime needs. The japanese voice actors carried such emotion and feeling that it really did make the anime perfect. No scraggly english voice actors who didnt put off the true nature that the anime was to em-pose on the watcher.

Alot of people will say that reading the subtitles is annoying. But if you really gave it a go youd soon start forgetting your even reading them.

All in all The english dubbing cant carry the emotion i require. BUT it isnt as bad as the spanish dubbing :p

Vernikova

Champion
I wonder how much of that "emotion" sounds mega cartoon-y to native Japanese speakers.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Dubbed. Having to constantly read will take you out of what is going on, especially if there is action. Nothing yo do with laziness.