• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
I prefered subtitled mostly, because I'm more of visual reading than hearing what they're saying.

Angeling

true love
I'm going to have to say.. I prefer subs, but it's not so easy to get because not everyone's rich.. or can bug their parents to get superpower Internet (like another friend of mine.. o_O).

But I do watch some dubs, and some may be good. I mean, at least the dubbed Pokémon has some good meaning.. though I did watch some early episodes in Chinese, and they were good too. Maybe a tad better than the dub.

Akane

I like to watch most of my anime subbed and dubbed. It doesn't matter. First I will watch it sub then the dub version. Or vice versa. XD

undisputed_seraphim

I dislike dubs. Notice that the voices for different anime sound similar, because theres only so many dubbing companies around. Also, if it's not the voice, it's the language or the originality. The dubs always seem to be cornier than the originals.

Linoone

<the ONLY linoone av
I like both, but subs the most, they are often clearer than dubs and I find it easier to understand*faints*

charlot.sweetie

AAML + DAML 4ever
I like both but subs are better because they stick to the story where the people that sub it can change it completely.

Sachiko

...is gone. =(
Dubbed because I want to hear the characters say things I can understand. And besides, you don't go around having people talk to you in another language and reading the words they say as words that have suddenly appeared in the air now do you?

Eternal Daydreamer

Surrender to the Sea
I honestly don't care what langauge it's in. Original, fine I'll put on subtittles. Dubbed, great I can understand English. Original with no subtittles, I'll just learn that langauge. No biggie.

The last Pokemon Anime related thing I watched was the third movie a couple of days ago. Which I heard, the original had no soundtrack for.

Blazikens_Brushfire

The Blaziking
Oh, definitely subtitled. I may not be able to understand what they say, but it's still awesome seeing what they actually say, instead of all that strange dubbed stuff. ;D

Justineer

The Blazikenator
I prefer to choose.
There's often a lot that are just made to be too mild in fear something might be politically incorrect, or just for the rating. As someone mentioned before, Card Captor Sakura was a real hack job; something like the first five episodes were gone! I also agree with the person who said they like to listen to the dubbed version with action, because you want to be paying more attention to what they're doing then reading the bottom of the screen.
Also I want to point out that with the original actors' Japanese accents, it can be hard to hear the emotion in their voice for those of us who's first language isn't Japanese.

JoJo@210

We Strike At Dawn
I like watching them in both. I like hearing the Japanese voices and sometime the thing the say in japanese are diffrent then what they said in english.
And I like listening to it in english cause I get tired of reading and watching it at the same time and its hard watching and reading at the same time.

Emerald Pikachu

Forest Dweller
I like watching both so i can see the differences, but overall i prefer the subbed by far.
The original voices are much better IMO. Some of the dubbed ones in certain animes are really annoying.
The only exception i can think of is Pegasus (Yu-gi-oh). I love his dub voice and loathe the original.

The japanese versions also seem to explain things better. And a lot of the dubs change important parts of the story. They've even massacred character's personalities sometimes. For example, giving them huge egos that they never had originally. -_-

Examples:

Jap Yoh Asakura: *to Amidamaru* Thank you, you saved me.
Dub Yoh: Thanks, but you know i could have handled it myself.

Dub Yami: *goes on about how he doesn't have time for surprises because he still has to figure out his destiny.
Jap Yami: *teases Yuugi about his crush on Anzu and gives him tips on how to impress her*

See what i mean? In the dub of Yu-gi-oh, Yami only seems to talk about destiny and the heart of the cards. Whereas japanese Yami has a sense of humour, likes to tease Yuugi and never mentions HOTCs.
They completely messed him up. >.<

So yeah, i'd take the subs anyday.

undisputed_seraphim

I live in S'pore. Here most of my classmates prefer subtitled anime because the subs are licensed by Odex, and besides, the subbed dubs (huh?) are in Japanese and Chinese. This doesn't change anything in the anime, unlike where they completely remove the original voices and puts it in English and then changes some of the storyline. Anyway, I do a little rewiring to my TV and I was able to totally mute out the Japanese voices and listen to Chinese, so no problem for me and my classmates. Conclusion: Subs preferred. Dubs Sux! (lol, a tongue twister)

HK

Radiance of Shadows
... WHY THE HELL do you all think that all English dubs have the storylines changed? You must only watch the crap that 4Kids puts out, because that is some of the biggest load of bull that I have seen concerning anime dubs. We must have our group of elitists here (albeit, absolutely nowhere near as bad as at other anime forums, but still).

Anyway, I don't have a preference where I ultimately prefer one over the other, but if both the original version and the dubbed version is excellent, then I'll take the dub. People fail to realize that anything that takes voice overs is already dubbed, so in that sense all of anime is dubbed. Honestly, I can't watch Golden Boy in Japanese and laugh as hard as I can when listening to Doug Smith's Kintaro in the dub.

Sneasel

Sneasel Master
I chose dubbed because I can't read subtitles and enjoy the show both at the same time. My mind's just like that, I guess.

RED1992

Banned
Sneasel said:
I chose dubbed because I can't read subtitles and enjoy the show both at the same time. My mind's just like that, I guess.
then ur brain is about the size of my eyeball bro.

Chris

Old Coot
RED1992 said:
then ur brain is about the size of my eyeball bro.
This coming from someone spelling "your" as "ur" and doesn't use any kind of punctuation or captialization?

Cut the spamming and flaming.