• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

theboar

Entei is Entei!
Whoo, 300 posts! :p

Originally Posted by The Edge
Dont bump, this thread's more than a week old.

Duh, I created this thread and Dogasu sticked this on March in 2005.
It's one year and four and a half months. It's my idea to tell people's opinions and comments about subbed and dubbed.

I might say... many people like to watch anime with english subtitle, I am surprised.
:p

akane_rose

winter rose
rose: I like watching the original with subtitles, but sometimes the font is small. then again it nice watching the anime in a language you can understand. :p

spacefissure

Deoxys rulez all!
Subbed. I want to watch the original version.

Ryo

o rly?
I like both.

Dub because, I get tired of reading sometimes.
Subs because, I want to get the series in it's original goodness.

I have to watch subs due to the dub being so horrible every so often...

Hsiao-Chai

Mute Swordsman
It depends. It makes sense to watch Rurouni Kenshin and Peacemaker subbed because it takes place in Japan and it would seem weird for them to be speaking English. On anime that doesn't take place in Japan, it depends. If the dub is good, I'll watch it that way. If it's bad, I'll wacth the sub version.

chrisivy

Banned
I don't care. I can understand japanese and english. I'm half japanese.

moonstone

Thunder Trainer
Dubbed. It's not that I'm too lazy to read - I'm fine with reading - but (to me, anyway) the show has more of a natural flow when the characters speak in your own language.

Z

ZlasPorygon

I like both, some shows like Naruto, Bleach, and Black Cat are best in their original language although I've yet to hear of a dubbed Black Cat.

I do, however, like the dubbing of shows like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Trigun.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE
I'll watch nearly anything subbed, as long as it's not one of those crappy "Hong Kong sub" pirated DVDs you can buy in some downtown market. =_=;

I learned that the hard way with "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Doraemon" while I visited there...

HELO DOLA-DREAM! (Hello, Doraemon) WTF?

gremhiilzoone

Beginning Trainer
Well,Like I am brasilian is a little bad I hear the american english(is very fast),but is not because of that I prefer in japnase,The american versions contains very cuts and modified names

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I like both, some shows like Naruto, Bleach, and Black Cat are best in their original language although I've yet to hear of a dubbed Black Cat.

I do, however, like the dubbing of shows like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Trigun.
Naruto is best in it's original language while you like the dubbing of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!?

What? o_O

Sk@rmory288

Put User Title Here
Dubbed. It strains my eyes when I have to read. It's sort of a condition I have.

-The Skarm

Raine

Pessimistic Optimist
Subtitles.
The dubbed dbz compared to the original is pretty lame, though some dubs aren't bad like FMA.
Overall, I still perfer reading the sub and listening to the original voices.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
The dubbed dbz compared to the original is pretty lame, though some dubs aren't bad like FMA.
"Some"? o_O No, actually, alot of dubs are good. It's just that most of the "bad" dubs that are talked about are the ones that air on TV (which the most of the "most" comes from 4Kids, if I may add).

Anime that get released straight to DVD are just perfectly fine most of the time. There are alot of good dubs on TV too, so the good dubs outnumber the bad.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
For me, it depends. Most of the time I watch subs as I like to listen to Japanese and if the dub is really bad like Zatch Bell and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Though I watch dubs if they're amusing or done good like Pokemon, Prince of Tennis, and Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo.

For me, it depends. Most of the time I watch subs as I like to listen to Japanese and if the dub is really bad like Zatch Bell and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Though I watch dubs if they're amusing or done good like Pokemon, Prince of Tennis, and Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo.
Explain how Zatch Bell has a bad dub, while Prince of Tennis has a good dub.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Originally posted by BattleFranky~40
Explain how Zatch Bell has a bad dub, while Prince of Tennis has a good dub.

It might be just me, but some of the charater's voices don't kinda fit of don't sound that good. Also countless names and attacks changes. Out of all the episodes I seen the only name they needed to change was Gash --> Zatch because of the double meaning in ep. 1 and the only attack Zakeru --> Zaker.

I don't understand why they had to change Patie to Penny or Zeon to Zeno. If you do please explain this to me.

Prince of Tennis is better, not great, but better in terms with the names and some of the voices. Horio and Arai is great in the dub.

Then again that's just my opinion.