• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

• Total voters

Horoika1

<--Next Pokémon Hunt
I could care less. I'm used to hearing original voices and the ones that are subbed. And I don't mind reading, in fact, I love reading.

Just that sometimes I'm too lazy to read.

kochoupink

butts lol
I feel like it's impossible to really appreciate an anime if it's dubbed. I think occasionally a dub comes close to (and can even be better than) the original, but for the most part, sub is better because it allows more of the original feeling to come through, and also preserves the characters' original voices.

--C4--

Only my Railgun
It has to be subs, I dunno I just think that when a company dubs an anime it just annoys me with the voices the voice overs come up with.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
It has to be subs, I dunno I just think that when a company dubs an anime it just annoys me with the voices the voice overs come up with.

WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEEABOO!

Dark Butterfly

Has left SppFail
I'll bet half the people in here who are *****ing about how "bad" the dubs are has not seen any anime dubbed In the 80's & early 90's.

Wanna see bad dubs? here you go:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOXFW6D3YE (Slight warning there is some ecchi stuff in it) (Yes I know, but it pretty much sums how what a "bad dub" really is )

Last edited:

akillakai

Subbed usually, unless I grew up with it being dubbed.
It really just depends..

Kawazu Hime

Dubbed. It's not that I don't like to read or anything. And Fansubbing is far superior, but I have the attention span of a small animal when it comes to TV. I would rather be doing something else. That's what I liked dubbed, you don't have to pay attention and you'll still know what's going on!

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
I don't prefer anything. If it's the only way I can watch the show, then I'll watch it with subs. And when it's dubbed, I'll watch it dub. Really, only 4Kids shows have bad dubs, others like Naruto, Funi One Piece, FMA, Cowboy Bebop, Champloo, and many others are actually done pretty well, it's just that some people don't like it for stupid reasons, and then everyone jumps on the bandwagon to be cool.

So basically, I'll watch Naruto Shippuden subbed since I have to, but as soon as it's dubbed, I'll never watch that sub again, mainly because Shippuden sucks ***.

theboar

Entei is Entei!
Bad 4Kids for ruining One Piece dubbed and heavy cut (even Nami's mother is point at um Shark guy (forgot the name) with her shovel instead of shotgun). Horrible.

But... FUNimation will also distribute the series in unedited bilingual DVD box sets. The DVD box sets will also feature unedited video & English audio track. The unedited English language track will restore character and objects renamed in the dub to their original names. These changes were not made in the TV edit to allow continuity in the English broadcast of the TV series.

I might get this for sure.

I wish Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) should be uncut completely. Blood, violence or not, I DON'T CARE. ;_;
An example of Saint Seiya series like a picture on my signature below.

JenROCKET

I think it does depend on the series, but generally I go for subbed.
It is good for picking up Japanese words and phrases.
Usually if I'm used to watching it dubbed, I'll just watch it dubbed all the time else it sounds strange.
For example, when I tried watching Mai HiME dubbed, it just sounded strange so I kept watching it subbed. When I watched one of the Pokemon movies subbed, I missed the English because it was what I was used to.

Crimson Fang

Crazed Nostalgia
I usually prefer dubbed because 1. they're on my "area of channels" on my old, junky TV. Boring story, I'll skip it.

2. High-pitched voices annoy me somewhat. It varies.

I'd watch anything subbed should I find it (like that Tales of Symphonia thing, or Final Fantasy: Last Order).

Weezing110

Disney Master
I rather have it be dubbed because I hate rading below the screen because I miss like the action of what's going on the show. I do hate though with english how they will switch the vocies ever once on a while like pokemon.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
I don't remember whether I've replied to this thread or not....

Anyway, I prefer to watch dubbed anime, so I will watch the dubbed version of any anime series that I can get my hands on (if it has a dub).

But, on occaision, I will watch subbed anime. Like when I'm with an anime club and the majority of people there want to watch a series with subs. ^^

I have to say that nothing about dubs bothers me, not even editing. This is why most anime fans find me weird. Not only do I enjoy watching dubs, I also don't mind the fact that dubbers edit the show (I wouldn't be a aware of most edits in the first place, as I don't watch the Japanese version - so edits have no effect on my enjoyment of watching a dub).

However, if something completely out of the blue happens to a dub which changes the way it's being made, like a VA switch (argh!), then that does upset me greatly, as this ruins the quality of the show's voice acting. In some cases, it can even change the personalities of characters, because they are no longer brought to life in the same way as before.

Kuroshi

I have to say that nothing about dubs bothers me, not even editing. This is why most anime fans find me weird. Not only do I enjoy watching dubs, I also don't mind the fact that dubbers edit the show (I wouldn't be a aware of most edits in the first place, as I don't watch the Japanese version - so edits have no effect on my enjoyment of watching a dub).

However, if something completely out of the blue happens to a dub which changes the way it's being made, like a VA switch (argh!), then that does upset me greatly, as this ruins the quality of the show's voice acting. In some cases, it can even change the personalities of characters, because they are no longer brought to life in the same way as before.

Congratulations, you contradict yourself.

You cannot love dubbed anime if you hate cast changes, which are a common occurrence in dubs.