• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lillie and the Secret Ingenuity Princess! (1059)

Kintaro

Banned
Lana quite possibly has one of the best personalities for a female lead in the series, it's just the way SM is set-up that doesn't give her as much focus as she could have, which is the same for any character this arc, really.

DatsRight

It's just Mallow and Lana don't have much agency. They have quirks but none that really develop into proper flaws that could make for character development and they never really have agendas that are demonstrated enough that they put a whole lot of display in their niches. Even more episodic stuff they take part in like the class exercises or bad guy battles or UG missions or whatnot, they always do the least of or just win effortlessly with barely any method. They verge a little too much into blandly perfect territory, making them kind of boring in action outside of basic gags. I feel this is why we've only had one girl-centric episode and even that one was revolved mostly around just said gags, compared to how character and chemistry driven the ones revolved around the boys are.

The Tapu Fini episode was the nearest to the show TRYING to hone in on a proper fallible human side to them to develop from in my opinion but even then it was more an external force and concerned something when they were very young kids, and it didn't really click any long term role for them besides Mallow now perpetually glomping a useless hedgehog.

The others have flaws and agency to some degree, they have things they work or improve upon, or idiosyncrasies that liven up the plot or cause personal dilemmas, all things that can give them star appeal so they don't feel like ineffective props led by the plot. Lillie and Sophocles being brought into the league while seemingly actively avoiding giving them onscreen battle experience still bugs me as much as with Mallow and Lana, but unlike them, they at least had something else to round out their personalities throughout the series. There doesn't seem nearly as much averseness from the show into making them fallible fully realised characters outside that one element.

On a side note, this episode really makes me notice how annoying it is when the show keeps insisting on halting things to have ALL SIX CHARACTERS chime in a redundant uplifting phrase one by one.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Forgot to mention it, but man, I loved the rendition of the Vanville town theme used here, does anyone know in what other eps it was used?

Kintaro

Banned
Lana's personality is incredible, she gets the same amount of screentime as everyone else does. Much more than Mallow/Sophocles too.

DatsRight

It's just she feels better suited as a side character than an actual protagonist, since her main appeal is her quirkiness rather than any goal and personality development, and she doesn't really have many vital chemistries with the rest of the students to make her feel integral to the main group either. She's pretty much stagnant as a character while even Sophocles I think has had some sort of dynamic focus.

They probably could have got away with that approach as well since SM has been good at utilising a recurring supporting cast. She could have been a memorable ensemble dark horse instead of an underwhelming main character.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
This episode was too good! I was surprised it ended already! I enjoyed the flashbacks and it’s such a tender moment watching Lillie read on what her father wrote. Even though she was a baby and even admitted to not remembering her father, Mohn still wrote sweet messages about her, gifting Magerna to her.

It was also nice seeing Gladion smile and be happy for once, very edgy of him to take a moment to not be edgy. :p

I’m so glad they did show Mohn! I remember a few users complaining how terrible the anime is for going as far as to not show Mohn to justify or reenact Game!Lusamine’s craziness. It’s even better that we see him through flashbacks of not just the people who knew him but his memories too. I liked that he challenged Hala and received a Z Ring. I liked that he was a Pokémon Trainer who traveled but adored his family. I loved that they showed his disappearance with Lusamine. I loved that they showed that she still thought about him and dearly missed him. I even loved that Mohn is shorter than Lusamine! Or even Lusamine embarrassing her kids with her cheesy gushiness. It really feel like the passage of time exists seeing how long ago Mohn’s been missing.

Great episode! Mohn narrating is like Lillie narrating her own episodes! Like father, like daughter!

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I didn't like how Magearna was in a petrified state and needed extra work to get it moving. I like that fixing it will give Lillie more of a purpose, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work for little payoff.

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode! Lovely how Gladion is on the happy side for once. He really cares about his own family. Nice learning about Mohn and Magearna, how Magearna was fated to be gifted to Lillie. It's a bit disappointing that Mohm has been missing for a long time since the accident. The children dearly miss their own father.

It's sad that Lillie didn't perform Subzero Slammer successfully, but practice makes perfect. Kudos to Hala for granting Lillie permission to use Z-Moves.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I love that Ash feeds Meltan screws

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This episode almost makes it sound like Lillie could take over the narrative and become the new main character. I'm not certain how far the idea of a secret princess could be followed or if it is just like a metaphor but I do not object to the implication. Going by fairy tale norms, I was secretly hoping for Lillie to kiss the ancient gear pokemon. Then again it might have been pretty anti climatic to have Magearna awaken right as soon as it is first introduced. Lillie found a book with clues about the ancient gear pokemon and now has a desire to restore it to a functioning state. I like the direction of this plot line, I wonder how it will play out?

Forgot to mention it, but man, I loved the rendition of the Vanville town theme used here, does anyone know in what other eps it was used?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it was used in XY007 when Serena first met Ash
Edit: That was actually Laverre City

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

vondecayle

It was nice hearing a variation of the XY ost in the background again (at least in the dub). I liked Magearnas mythology and everything related to the Aether family.

RafaSceptile

Please watch the episode before making comments like this, it makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about or that you are just trolling, which you probably are. Thank you.
Fixed :D
It was nice hearing a variation of the XY ost in the background again (at least in the dub). I liked Magearnas mythology and everything related to the Aether family.
Additionally, the Poké Problem of this episode uses 3 Mythical Pokémon from the XY series