• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Feel free to add agreements, disagreements and your own opinion. Since this is my list starting out.

1. I like USUM than S/M in nearly every aspect, including most of the story changes with the Aether Family:

While I do find the URS could have been handled better and how USUM cut out some Lillie focus in the main story, it made a few points on most of the characters clearer and to me, better. (Guzma, Gladion, Hau and especially Lusamine.) In addition, USUM, if you include the events in the post game past RR, it has a better sense of closure for the characters that personally, S/M didn't when they just sent Lillie and Lusamine to Kanto and leave it at that with no follow up. Nearly every bit of character development Lillie had in USUM is only slightly weaker in comparison because of the lack of screen time, but the general of that development is in the RR Arc and after.

2. Related to number one. How I was disappoint that S/M ended where Lillie and Lusamine magically mended things off screen without us the player seeing it or even anything showing that it is a good thing. Besides the Looker Mission that cleans up the UB, there is nothing following that plot when it should have been continued to give the sense of closure US/UM gave.

3. I like the Sun and Moon anime: I liked how the series handled death, I liked how it handled Lillie's trauma in the first season, I liked the Aether Arc (Even dare say it was better that the vanilla games.) and the Necrozma Arc is another good one. (I find it a tie between that and Ultra games) I liked the slice of life feel, I don't mind the slap stick and most of the episodes became a joy to watch once I got into it.

4. Armourshipping is my least favorite ship: Serena's how I first met Ash story was done already and better in the form of Angie from the DP series, how Serena and Ash met for the travel is VERY creepy. Besides Serena having a crush on Ash, nothing about her stands out that hasn't been done before by May and Dawn!

5. Infernape had a better character arc than Greninja: Anime related, Infernape started off as a Chimchar that was HEAVILY abused by local jerk of the saga Paul that like the other pokemon in his tender care that are too weak to be useful to him, got released.
Ash took Chimchar in and raised him in a more healthy environment, which resulted in growth into an Infernape that swept half of Paul's Team. (Satisfying)

Greninja was a Froakie that was unpicked before Ash came along and once XYZ came, he got hyped towards something big, has won a lot of battles... but once Diablous ex Machina Alain showed up with Mega Charizard X, it went down hill when Ash Greninja lost, didn't do a whole lot during the big Team Flare episode, then was released to help Zygarde out. Not exactly the most glorious way to end a character arc.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've always liked the involvemet of Legendary Pokemon in the plot.
I actually quite like the caves and water routes in the games.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I've always liked the involvemet of Legendary Pokemon in the plot.
I actually quite like the caves and water routes in the games.

The legendary pokemon getting involved in the plot are an old formula, but they work.
Kyogre and Groudon. The well intended means for Archie and Maxie's plans that back fired on them.

Rayquaza, the one to stop the fighting of the two kaiju.

Dialga and Palkia. Cyrus's means of making a new reality.

Giratina, the pokemon who stops Cyrus.

Reshirem and Zekrom. A part of Black and Whites amazing plot/ climax of truth and ideals.

Kyurem. The remains of the original dragon that the previous dragons are meant to be with and was used by Team Plasma for their plans.

Xerneas and Yveltal. Just there to power the machine. (Only underwhelming one.)

Zygarde. Anime and Manga cared about him at least.

Solgaleo and Lunala. Our Nebby.

Necrozma. A pokemon that is the big bad of US/UM (First big bad pokemon in the main series.) and the thing that eats our Nebby.

In regards to you other opinion, I don't care for the caves, but as someone who grew up with Hoenn... you can never have too much water.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Unpopular opinions huh? Well I would like to do the opposite.

Popular opinion. Unova is a masterpiece of Pokemon game design, everything a great Pokemon generation should be able to look up to or rather surpass. Your probably thinking, wait a minute! This is an unpopular opinion! No, not really. I've seen lots of Pokemon fans show their absolute love for the Unova region, many of them making top comments in videos that downright disrespectfully trash Unova. Here's the thing though, it's not an unpopular opinion to say your region is your favorite or the best. It's more popular than you think and that's what I love about the Pokemon community. GameFreak puts so much care and quality into there games that opinions diversify into different angles on what's the best and what's the worst. This isn't like the Sonic the Hedgehog series where everyone unanimously agrees that Sonic 06 is the worst, this is Pokemon where all the generations and games deserve to be in top spot. So remember that before you go thinking that your favorite region is an unpopular opinion. This isn't even an opinion actually, this is a fact that series completely full of well crafted titles can lead to diverse opinions.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Unpopular opinions huh? Well I would like to do the opposite.

Lol! Here is another unpopular opinion.

1. I like Vanilluxe's line. It took me a while to give the pokemon a try in my white run, but once I actually got Vanilluxe, it became a rather strong pokemon. His stats are not even bad, just that his sole typing of ice and his rather shallow move pool having coverage for two of the types he is weak too, makes it something you would look the other way.
It can also learn water pulse through a move tutor... so that would be something to consider for coverage.

ThroughTheIris56

Ooh I love these.

1) Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think version exclusives are detrimental. I think there are better ways to encourage trading, and it's very frustrating when you can't catch a Pokemon you really want, can't trade, or the games are outdated.

2) Typhlosion is overrated. While I actually really like Typhlosion I don't understand why he seems the preferred Johto starter so often in comparison to Feraligatr and Meganium.

3) I dislike Mega Evolutions. I'm not massive fan of the idea itself, most evolutions look aesthetically worse then their original form, their often given to Pokemon that really don't need them (cough Mewtwo, cough Garchomp, cough Salamence) and it probably takes away resources from developing brand new Pokemon.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ooh I love these.

1) Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think version exclusives are detrimental. I think there are better ways to encourage trading, and it's very frustrating when you can't catch a Pokemon you really want, can't trade, or the games are outdated.

2) Typhlosion is overrated. While I actually really like Typhlosion I don't understand why he seems the preferred Johto starter so often in comparison to Feraligatr and Meganium.

3) I dislike Mega Evolutions. I'm not massive fan of the idea itself, most evolutions look aesthetically worse then their original form, their often given to Pokemon that really don't need them (cough Mewtwo, cough Garchomp, cough Salamence) and it probably takes away resources from developing brand new Pokemon.

Version exclusives either A. Make you buy more games and give Gamefreak your money or B. Make you interact with people. I'm not a fan of this either, especially when you get a version exclusive that nature wise, just fills the pokedex or can't really use.

In regards to Typhlosion, I like Feraligatr better and I think maybe Typhlosion is picked because of the Charizard vibes. (They have the same stat spread.)

I don't mind mega evolutions, they give some life into old pokemon and I like some of the designs. That being said, I understand where you are coming from. The majority of these pokemon were from Gen 1/2 or were pokemon that were already good without them. (Salamence!) In fact, mega Garchomp is worse than his basic form competitively.

ThroughTheIris56

Version exclusives either A. Make you buy more games and give Gamefreak your money or B. Make you interact with people. I'm not a fan of this either, especially when you get a version exclusive that nature wise, just fills the pokedex or can't really use.

In regards to Typhlosion, I like Feraligatr better and I think maybe Typhlosion is picked because of the Charizard vibes. (They have the same stat spread.)

I don't mind mega evolutions, they give some life into old pokemon and I like some of the designs. That being said, I understand where you are coming from. The majority of these pokemon were from Gen 1/2 or were pokemon that were already good without them. (Salamence!) In fact, mega Garchomp is worse than his basic form competitively.

I think there are many better ways to encourage player interaction that removing content from a game. Plus it limits the games when they age and there are fewer people to trade with, and trading is a redundant feature.

Yeah I can imagine part of Typhlosion's popularity is due to it being similar to Charizard. They're both hard hitting and fast Pokemon with a good offensive type, making them quite appealing to use.

And even though I dislike the idea itself, I think Mega Evolutions had potential, and some designs look pretty good (I love Sceptile's). But even with making weaker Pokemon better, I still think it would make more sense to give them new a evolution if possible.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Kalos’ massive Pokédex is a bad thing.

So I made a list. This list measures “new Pokémon density” for each game’s Pokédex, as a % of the regional dex that is new to that generation. Let’s have a look at it.

RBY - 100% by default

GSC - 40%

RSE - 67%

DP - 58%

Pt - 51%

BW - 100%

BW2 - 52%

XY - 16%

SM - 28%

USUM - 21%

Why is this important? Well, it sort of helps determine how fresh of an experience a Pokémon game can be: a big part is ALWAYS the new Pokémon. In Kalos, there are so many old Pokémon around and so much grass is just skippable that playing the game normally can result in you missing plenty of new Pokémon. Just look at some of the route statistics: some routes only have 1 new Pokémon with a mere 5% encounter rate, some have no new ones at all! It makes them forgettable and the experience overall feels really bland and unoriginal as a result.

This is all made worse by the fact not even the Kalos starters or route 1 mons get the spotlight: you get given a Kanto starter AND the first Pokémon you encounter is a forced Pidgey. Bloody PIDGEY!

ThroughTheIris56

Kalos’ massive Pokédex is a bad thing.

So I made a list. This list measures “new Pokémon density” for each game’s Pokédex, as a % of the regional dex that is new to that generation. Let’s have a look at it.

RBY - 100% by default

GSC - 40%

RSE - 67%

DP - 58%

Pt - 51%

BW - 100%

BW2 - 52%

XY - 16%

SM - 28%

USUM - 21%

Why is this important? Well, it sort of helps determine how fresh of an experience a Pokémon game can be: a big part is ALWAYS the new Pokémon. In Kalos, there are so many old Pokémon around and so much grass is just skippable that playing the game normally can result in you missing plenty of new Pokémon. Just look at some of the route statistics: some routes only have 1 new Pokémon with a mere 5% encounter rate, some have no new ones at all! It makes them forgettable and the experience overall feels really bland and unoriginal as a result.

This is all made worse by the fact not even the Kalos starters or route 1 mons get the spotlight: you get given a Kanto starter AND the first Pokémon you encounter is a forced Pidgey. Bloody PIDGEY!

I don't completely agree but I see where your coming from. I get the problem you mean, I had this issue moreso in SM and it was actually a struggle to find 6 completely new mons I liked on a blind playthrough. When playing through a new generation, I definitely want the new Pokemon to take spotlight so I can learn about them and get a chance to try them out. And really shouldn't have to resort to looking online or searching thoroughly to see new Pokemon.

However I have no issue with more Pokemon being in a game because it simply provides more options for players. Furthermore, part of the problem is that the 2 newest generations have had fewer total Pokemon introduced, so this exacerbates it. I think encounters and distribution should be tweaked so newer Pokemon are generally easier to obtain and find, and adding new Pokemon is always a positive. However I like having lots of older Pokemon in a region, as it makes each playthrough more unique as there are more options (especially early on). Finally we've all grown attached to older Pokemon, so I think including more in game makes it more likely to live on instead of being used and scrapped in the game they were introduced.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Baby Pokemon /prevuloutions are cool and I wish they make more.

Lots of people seem to say that baby Pokemon are useless or a wasted slots merely because they aren't very good in battle or aren't competitively viable. But to me, one of the most fun things in Pokemon is the journey you go on with your party, seeing that weak Elekid evolve and get stronger as you as a trainer also grow in strength, it's part of what drew me to the franchise in the first place. Also they're cute.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Baby Pokemon /prevuloutions are cool and I wish they make more.

Lots of people seem to say that baby Pokemon are useless or a wasted slots merely because they aren't very good in battle or aren't competitively viable. But to me, one of the most fun things in Pokemon is the journey you go on with your party, seeing that weak Elekid evolve and get stronger as you as a trainer also grow in strength, it's part of what drew me to the franchise in the first place. Also they're cute.

Baby pokemon are the reason Little Cup was made after all. As long as they are introduced in the wild at that stage, then I don't mind them existing.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Walking Pokemon is a nearly-irrelevant feature that adds nothing to the games beyond a cuteness factor. I've seen people get mad that Gen V and up don't have walking Pokemon and won't get them because of that, and it's just baffling. Of course, I don't really know if they made true on those statements, but that's not the point.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Off the top of my head right now...

Delphox is legitimately one of my favourite starters ever and I will defend this Pokémon to the death. It upsets me that it and Chesnaught are always ignored in favour of Greninja. Speaking of which...

I hate Ash Greninja as a concept. Why does this thing need to exist? It's design is ugly and is blatant favouritism and I hate favouritism in starters. The anime just made my hatred for this thing stronger and I was not upset that Ash released it.

Mega Evolution is overrated. I don't care for Megas whatsoever (Though there are some I do like) and they were literally just a gimmick. There were quite a few that were given to Pokémon who did not need them and felt like fanservice (Charizard and Mewtwo don't deserve 2 Megas). It doesn't help most of the designs are not very appealing to me.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is not the unholy abomination everyone makes it out to be. Is it the best Mystery Dungeon? No, even I think it's flawed, but I don't think it's bad.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Here's some. Crucify me:
*Johto is the worst region and HGSS aren't even that good
*BW's story is extremely overrated and I find it to be horrible
*N is an annoying character. So is Acerola.
*People who complain about "Sinnoh fanboys" are worse than the diehard Sinnoh fans who want remakes.
*Arcanine, Ampharos, Kingdra, Tyranitar, and Decidueye are all terrible
*Delphox is a great Pokémon
*Pokémon shouldn't be open world
*Alola's hand holding isn't that bad
*The earlier gens aren't harder: you were just younger and thus ignorant to the game's mechanics.
*I liked XY's story.
*The smaller rosters in XY/SM don't bother me.
*Hoenn's music is quite terrible
*Ash>Red
*Origins & Generations are boring.
*I'm ok with the lackluster post game of most Pokémon games.
*Hate the Mystery Dungeon games
*Conquest is amazing

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I think Festival Plaza is better than the PSS (aside from trading). That’s because there’s more to it than just being how you battle or trade with others.

The anime is TERRIBLE at shipping its characters.

I enjoy the version-exclusive clothing in SM/USUM because since it’s still possible to get the “other” options, I enjoy the challenge of doing so.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I never thought that Mega Evolution or Alolan forms were necessary. The former helped make many older Pokemon relevant again and the latter did something similar even if it went overboard as an obvious nostalgia gimmick, but I feel like Gens VI and VII suffered because Game Freak decided to focus on those concepts instead of creating more completely new Pokemon.

pikanewb

WiteMic
This is gonna piss off competitive players but I think using you like is way better than using Mons everyone else uses/Smogon tell you to use. My favorite team to use is Mimikyu with Lum Berry, Pikachu, Weakness Policy Sturdy Carracosta, Z Mirror Move Pidgeot, Mega Zard Y, and either Mew or Celebi. I get so much hate for doing that. LOL.

I get it. People like winning. It means the world to them. But damn. Is it that serious to use the same Mons and style as the last 4 people I just battled? This goes for Showdown, Battlespot, and Ratings. I do this for fun and have been since Gen 1. I guess I'm still use to the old way of battling where it was favorites V favorites. Not same ol vs same ol.

This is all personal bias BTW.