• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Z moves over Megas because, while still not exciting, they didn’t break the meta like the latter did and every Pokémon can utilize them to some degree + aren’t broken. Doesn’t help the region that first introduced them didn’t have but Mega Diancie and that a number of the Pokémon were already pretty good/stupidly popular anyway :^)

Like change the battling but not to where the metagame becomes boring with nothing but the same thing seen in every team. It’s why I hate the idea that every gen has to have some huge thing being introduced. Breathing room is good!

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Z moves over Megas because, while still not exciting, they didn’t break the meta like the latter did and every Pokémon can utilize them to some degree + aren’t broken. Doesn’t help the region that first introduced them didn’t have but Mega Diancie and that a number of the Pokémon were already pretty good/stupidly popular anyway :^)

Like change the battling but not to where the metagame becomes boring with nothing but the same thing seen in every team. It’s why I hate the idea that every gen has to have some huge thing being introduced. Breathing room is good!
Also honestly Mega Evolution is a disappointment for everyone in the fact that practically every Pokemon fan wants every Pokemon to have a mega evolution, especially the Johto starters and that would take time and resources, in fact it's like creating entirely new Pokemon compared to Z-moves which are just move animations recycled for every Pokemon to use.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Also honestly Mega Evolution is a disappointment for everyone in the fact that practically every Pokemon fan wants every Pokemon to have a mega evolution, especially the Johto starters and that would take time and resources, in fact it's like creating entirely new Pokemon compared to Z-moves which are just move animations recycled for every Pokemon to use.

I like mega evolution, but the Z moves have a much wider radius to under dog pokemon like Dodrio, PorygonZ and several others. What was mediocrish pokemon are now seen in viable play more often because of Z power.

Scammel

Huh, that's interesting. For me, Z-moves are hot trash that completely undermine one of the game's absolutely vital core principles, the concept of counterplay. We now live in a world where pretty much every species can just blow through opponents that should be a hard stop, simply by lazily tacking on a completely unforeseeable nuclear move. It's darkly hilarious how many low-tier Pokémon have a Smogon analysis which is simply a 'Z-move set'.

In sharp contrast, Megas were an excellent addition to competitive play. They are, in effect, Pokémon that exchange an item for a stat boost (a decision that really isn't all that clear-cut for many species) much like how a Choice or Assault Vest user trades flexibility for power. They can usually be seen coming from a mile away and for the most part have very conventional strengths and weaknesses.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I find it weird that mammalian Pokemon in the games and anime reproduce through eggs like all other Pokemon. I think it'd be more fitting and realistic to reproduce as most mammals do in real life - through live birth. I understand wanting to use eggs, because it's easier for younger people to comprehend, but I prefer fan works where the live-birth approach is used (I've even done a few fanfics in that area).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I find it weird that mammalian Pokemon in the games and anime reproduce through eggs like all other Pokemon. I think it'd be more fitting and realistic to reproduce as most mammals do in real life - through live birth. I understand wanting to use eggs, because it's easier for younger people to comprehend, but I prefer fan works where the live-birth approach is used (I've even done a few fanfics in that area).
Ew no stop talking about that gross

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I have a couple thanks to a conversation with a friend:
*Mega Mewtwo X looks way better than Y
* I think Alola Photo Club was an amazing feature
*I prefer more simplistic stories like Kanto’s
*I still don’t mind 3rd versions
*I wouldn’t mind if they stop making Megas (they’re still a welcome addition)
* Alola Forms were mediocre all around
*Less of an opinion but the only 2 spin-offs I enjoyed were Conquest & Battle Revolution
*I find people who complain about Smogon and act all self righteous with the Karen quote are more annoying than try hard Smogon players
*I will never understand why so many people get butthurt over hacking (don’t turn this into an ethical debate, ty)
*I don’t get tired of the same routine for Pokèmon games;I prefer it.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I have a couple thanks to a conversation with a friend:
*Mega Mewtwo X looks way better than Y
* I think Alola Photo Club was an amazing feature
*I prefer more simplistic stories like Kanto’s
*I still don’t mind 3rd versions
*I wouldn’t mind if they stop making Megas (they’re still a welcome addition)
* Alola Forms were mediocre all around
*Less of an opinion but the only 2 spin-offs I enjoyed were Conquest & Battle Revolution
*I find people who complain about Smogon and act all self righteous with the Karen quote are more annoying than try hard Smogon players
*I will never understand why so many people get butthurt over hacking (don’t turn this into an ethical debate, ty)
*I don’t get tired of the same routine for Pokèmon games;I prefer it.
Hold on a second. How are these unpopular opinions?
Mega Mewtwo X being better than Y
Alola Photo Club being an amazing feature
Don't mind 3rd versions
Mega Evolutions

Ignition

Hold on a second. How are these unpopular opinions?
Mega Mewtwo X being better than Y
Alola Photo Club being an amazing feature
Don't mind 3rd versions
Mega Evolutions
Most people like Y better
APC was seen as another pointless side mini game akin to Contests and PokeStudios
People apparently hate 3rd versions with USUM (from what I’ve seen most hated the practice since Emerald)
Most want new Megas: I wouldn’t be upset if we didn’t get more

Nebbygetinthebag

-I don't really like Johto that much mainly because the pokemon lineup in this gen they are pretty forgetable or bland
-I like Voltorb and Electrode
-I don't mind every gen introduced a pikachu clones
-The art style in the SM anime is fine
-I prefer the friendly rival over the edgy one
-Barry is the best rival
-I don't really like Pokemon Origins

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Most people like Y better
APC was seen as another pointless side mini game akin to Contests and PokeStudios
People apparently hate 3rd versions with USUM (from what I’ve seen most hated the practice since Emerald)
Most want new Megas: I wouldn’t be upset if we didn’t get more

I've never heard anyone say that they like Y better... in fact a lot of people were upset that the forms weren't switched so that they could get the Mewtwo X design in Y.

Ignition

I've never heard anyone say that they like Y better... in fact a lot of people were upset that the forms weren't switched so that they could get the Mewtwo X design in Y.
I’ve seen tons of people hate X for its feet and fingers

PineapplePizza

-Trying to insult a Pokemon based on its concept (what it is) is a dumb shallow criticsm. Something incredibly simplistic in concept can still be well designed (most of the gen 1 mons). Vannilite is well designed even if its just an ice cream cone. What I’m getting as is the issue isn’t that Garbodor is that its garbage its just aesthetically terribly designed. This is a huge problem in gen 6 and 7 more than anything

-The Best Wishes anime isnt that bad if viewed as a reboot of Kanto.

-The Hoenn starters are some of the most overrated starters. I’m constantly seeing them rank high on vlog list despite having some of the most uninteresting evolutions of all starters

Scammel

-Trying to insult a Pokemon based on its concept (what it is) is a dumb shallow criticsm. Something incredibly simplistic in concept can still be well designed (most of the gen 1 mons).

Yes yes yes yes yes ye-

What I’m getting as is the issue isn’t that Garbodor is that its garbage its just aesthetically terribly designed.

Oh. It was going so well.

:p

PineapplePizza

Some other unpopular opinions that come to mind

The gen 2 post-game isn't that great. It deserves points for having a first game (since gen 1 really doesn't...) but you can complete the whole post-game in probably 30 minutes. the gen 4 remakes makes the post-game a lot more interesting and worthwhile

I hate that we're still calling the gen 1 Player Character and Rival character Red and Green/Blue just to distinguish them from their anime counterparts. No other game has the dumb protagonist named after the games which are just colors/letters/gemstones. Unless you're looking at Pokemon Adventures. The player character in gen 1 is named Ash (or Satoshi in the original Japanese) and the rival character is Gary Oak (or Shigeru in Japanese)

In keeping with the games I feel like the anime should have dumped Pikachu and Meowth in the Best Wishes anime. Sacrilege, I know. But if the anime is advertising the games "nothing but brand new Pokemon" they should follow through on it. They could have brought them back in the XY anime since those games exist to pander to gen 1 nostalgia.

The original English Pokemon theme song is iconic of course but I kind of like the Johto Journeys theme song better... it's a whole new world we live in...

Yes yes yes yes yes ye-

Oh. It was going so well.

:p

At least we can agree that dismissing a Pokemon based on it being based on X is dumb? I think we can agree that bashing Garbodor simply from being based on garbage is dumb even if we disagree if it's well designed or not :p

Last edited: