• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I liked Jirachi Wish Maker. Reminded me of a Miyazaki film in so many ways. The plot was good, from beginning to end, I like how it started of with a carnival being created like it's animated, the settings were beautiful, the villain was somewhat interesting, and we get some dynamic flying action scenes that's rarely seen in the anime itself. In fact, I personally think Jirachi Wish Maker is one of the better Pokemon films.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
PMD is overrated. The plot (this is mostly talking about the 2nd game which is massively overhyped imho) is predictable, cliche, and largely undeveloped character wise (the same chatot and Wigglytuff antics repeated over and over aren’t exactly funny) but the main problem is the gameplay. It’s repetitive, it’s easily broken, and it has some stupid mechanics such as belly. Maybe I just don’t like roguelites but this one in particular rubbed me the wrong way.

I actually prefer the first game, but its recruitment mechanics really annoyed me. It might just be nostalgia.

shoz999

PMD is overrated. The plot (this is mostly talking about the 2nd game which is massively overhyped imho) is predictable, cliche, and largely undeveloped character wise (the same chatot and Wigglytuff antics repeated over and over aren’t exactly funny) but the main problem is the gameplay. It’s repetitive, it’s easily broken, and it has some stupid mechanics such as belly. Maybe I just don’t like roguelites but this one in particular rubbed me the wrong way.

I actually prefer the first game, but its recruitment mechanics really annoyed me. It might just be nostalgia.
Now that is quite the unpopular opinion. Personally I think it's the story that's keeping the Mystery Dungeon series alive in the first place over the gameplay.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
That is why this forum exist. Most of the unpopular opinion's here haven't left a sting on me yet... except that one. But that is what an unpopular opinion is meant to be, an opinion that is expected to be HIGHLY disagreed with.

Scammel

- Eevee was a neat gimmick that tied in with some of the darker Gen 1 themes (namely genetic manipulation) and every other Eeveelution since has been terrible fanservice

- Garchomp's design is completely awful

- Lucario is the worst Pokémon

- SM had the best story to date

- Completing the Pokedex is a non-achievement and signifies only how much spare time you have on your hands

- Smogon is brilliant

- Doubles is utterly inferior to singles

- Ash is the blankest of blank slates and every female companion is obligated to develop a crush on him; your ships are naught but dust in the wind

- Hoenn's water is fantastic and most games need more, not less

- Most unpopular Pokémon designs are fine, and that includes Bidoof - the Pokémon world needs goofy and weird-looking species

ThroughTheIris56

Off the top of my head right now...

Delphox is legitimately one of my favourite starters ever and I will defend this Pokémon to the death. It upsets me that it and Chesnaught are always ignored in favour of Greninja. Speaking of which...

I hate Ash Greninja as a concept. Why does this thing need to exist? It's design is ugly and is blatant favouritism and I hate favouritism in starters. The anime just made my hatred for this thing stronger and I was not upset the Ash released it.

Mega Evolution is overrated. I don't care for Megas whatsoever (Though there are some I do like) and they were literally just a gimmick. There were quite a few that were given to Pokémon who did not need them and felt like fanservice (Charizard and Mewtwo don't deserve 2 Megas). It doesn't help most of the designs are not very appealing to me.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is not the unholy abomination everyone makes it out to be. Is it the best Mystery Dungeon? No, even I think it's flawed, but I don't think it's bad.

I agree with all of these (apart from the last as I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game).

I also don't get the Delphox hate. It's design is fine and well themed, it's cool a rare typing and it's stats a great for sweeping.

Now I really like Greninja and it's one of my favourite Pokemon, but not only does Ash Greninja seem like extreme fanservice, the design just looks atrocious. I really do like Greninja's design, but for me the transformation makes any battle worse.

And for me Megas are a mediocre idea, executed terribly.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I agree with all of these (apart from the last as I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game).

I also don't get the Delphox hate. It's design is fine and well themed, it's cool a rare typing and it's stats a great for sweeping.

Now I really like Greninja and it's one of my favourite Pokemon, but not only does Ash Greninja seem like extreme fanservice, the design just looks atrocious. I really do like Greninja's design, but for me the transformation makes any battle worse.

And for me Megas are a mediocre idea, executed terribly.

Probably because of its feminine design and how it can be a dude. Otherwise, she is underrated, as for Ash Greninja.... I like protean Greninja better, that one can take on as many types as you please on the flip of a dime and will have a stab on everything. What can Ash Greninja do besides lose to Mega Charizard? (Either form mind you.)

shoz999

That is why this forum exist. Most of the unpopular opinion's here haven't left a sting on me yet... except that one. But that is what an unpopular opinion is meant to be, an opinion that is expected to be HIGHLY disagreed with.
You make it sound like I was criticizing his opinion. If that was the thought, in actuality I was praising it for how unpopular the idea is lol. Such an opinion would indeed leave a sting for many many Mystery Dungeon fans, even casual ones.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't mind Let's go Pikachu/Eevee
I like the SM anime
I dislike the XY(Z) anime, Amourshipping, and XY Ash
Lillie is the best character in both the games and the anime
I dislike all the Ashxfemale companion ships in general
I prefer mirror Serena over the main universe Serena

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
You make it sound like I was criticizing his opinion. If that was the thought, in actuality I was praising it for how unpopular the idea is lol. Such an opinion would indeed leave a sting for many many Mystery Dungeon fans, even casual ones.

I wasn't, it was just that the guys opinion really was the first unpopular opinion that stung like a hornet to me and that I am reminded to respect an opinion I don't agree with. Because that is why this forum was made. I get to vent myself, so should you.

oshawott7

cat burgler
- Ruby/Sapphire are my least favorite games in the franchise and actually made me stop playing Pokemon until FRLG came out.
- Ash and Serena have absolutley zero chemistry and I find it laughable when people ship them.
- I love Delphox.
- Ash-Greninja's whole concept is terrible. Not sure if that's unpopular or not.
- The old games aren't harder, just more irritating (still love them).
- Pokemon shouldn't be open world.
- I enjoy Festival Plaza.
- I wish IVs didn't exist. There are some Pokemon that I'm very emotionally attached to and just because their IVs aren't perfect I can't competitively battle with them. Bottle Caps did help with this.
- The BW anime was enjoyable.

M.P.

Retired
- Majority of Ultra Beasts' designs are bad
- Pikaclones are dull and they really shouldn't make one every generation
- I dislike the whole concept of Ash-Greninja (though not sure if this is unpopular, seeing how many times it has been mentioned here)
- Jynx, Magmortar and Delphox are alright
- A Poached Ego! is the saddest anime episode

Scammel

Garchomp is infinite times cooler than Flygon.

Oh wow, this a catastrophically bad opinion. Flygon is middle-of-the-road but Garchomp is concentrated, chicken-winged, confused terribleness.

Not that my personal tastes are any more valid than yours, of course.

Except they are./s

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Remember, everyone is free to make an opinion here that the norm would argue with.

There isn't a thing known as a bad opinion, only an opinion that you heavily disagree with.

Though Garchomp and Flygon are tied to me. One has earned the right to be a badass pokemon while the other has been neglected and needs some love.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The old games aren't harder, just more irritating (still love them).
I can see why are more irritating, since the Exp. Share wasn't as overpowered as its Generation VI+ counterpart. However, the Gym Leaders not having more than three Pokemon and the Elite Four (and Lysandre) only having a maximum of four (with some lacking full movesets) is just lazy and makes them look like there are no stakes involved.

oshawott7

cat burgler
I can see why are more irritating, since the Exp. Share wasn't as overpowered as its Generation VI+ counterpart. However, the Gym Leaders not having more than three Pokemon and the Elite Four (and Lysandre) only having a maximum of four (with some lacking full movesets) is just lazy and makes them look like there are no stakes involved.
I agree with you on that, XY were the easiest games in the franchise. But SM/USUM fixed those problems and are just as difficult as earlier games imo. I actually found USUM to be one of the most difficult Pokemon games along with BW/BW2.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
- I never understood what is so great about the Walking Pokemon feature.
- I find the current Exp. Share way better than the pre-GenVI era one.
- Horde battles should come back.
- Putting aside pokephilia and incest pairings, Pokeshipping and Amourshipping are my least favourite Pokemon ships and I have come to actually really despise the latter.
- I really like Greninja but the Ash-Greninja concept is just plain awful.
- I'm apathetic towards features like Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves.
- I don't care about an open-world Pokemon game.
- I would like to see voice acting during cutscenes in future Pokemon titles.
- Not every generation should have a new Pikaclone in it.
- Delphox and Chesnaught are underrated starters.
- Alola should have had more islands.
- I really like Team Galactic's costumes and hair.
- Johto despite its lore would be really bland as a region if it was not connected with Kanto in its games.
- I was fine with HGSS' level curve.
- I like "too much water".
- International Police should be more active as a police force.
- I don't really mind friendly rivals.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Something that has annoyed me since people trashed the Klink, Vanillite, Trubbish, & Litwick lines but "came back" with the reveal of Meltan are those who say "Look at Geodude and Voltorb, genwunner!". I find people who use that retort more annoying than those who complain about object 'mons.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Guess my one unpopular opinion would be I don't care for event legendaries. Since they're not part of the base game I have no interest in them.

M.P.

Retired
Another unpopular opinion I have is that I honestly don't care about Battle Frontier. I remember attempting some of the facilities in Emerald and the Battle Tower in Diamond a couple of times, but I just didn't enjoy them that much.