• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

Leonhart

Imagineer
Guess my one unpopular opinion would be I don't care for event legendaries. Since they're not part of the base game I have no interest in them.

I have all of them since they're generally rare, but I do dislike how Mythical Pokemon are essentially collector's items that do nothing more than collect dust in my PC.

Nockturne

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not regarding mythicals, but I don't like how you just download it with no pomp and circumstance and (generally) its Level 100. I'd much rather it down load some kind of quest or interesting new area, and then ended with you fighting the mythical with a 100% catch rate or it just choosing to join you. And its like level 20 so you could theoretically use it on a playthrough if you wanted. It might just be a waste of time and (game mechanic wise) pointless fluff, but that kind of stuff would make mythicals seem at least a little cool, rather than relying on people seeing them showcased in a movie. I really think that kind of Nntendo polish is missing from Pokemon in general sometimes.

ThroughTheIris56

Something that has annoyed me since people trashed the Klink, Vanillite, Trubbish, & Litwick lines but "came back" with the reveal of Meltan are those who say "Look at Geodude and Voltorb, genwunner!". I find people who use that retort more annoying than those who complain about object 'mons.

It really confuses me when people seem to think that because there are other bad designs, the Pokemon in topic is exempt from ridicule. One comment I actually saw in the Youtube comments was something like "Come on guys, give Meltan a break. Lazy designs have always been a thing in Pokemon".

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It really confuses me when people seem to think that because there are other bad designs, the Pokemon in topic is exempt from ridicule. One comment I actually saw in the Youtube comments was something like "Come on guys, give Meltan a break. Lazy designs have always been a thing in Pokemon".
It's the equivalent of saying "You think this guy is a scumbag? Look at what these other scumbags did!". How exactly do you know if someone is using double standards for older designs like Voltorb or Grimer? Assuming because they don't mention anything past gen 4-5, they're now genwunners? You don't need to point out every example for an issue you have.

ThroughTheIris56

It's the equivalent of saying "You think this guy is a scumbag? Look at what these other scumbags did!". How exactly do you know if someone is using double standards for older designs like Voltorb or Grimer? Assuming because they don't mention anything past gen 4-5, they're now genwunners? You don't need to point out every example for an issue you have.

It's a really great example of whataboutism.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
An unpopular opinion? Hmm...

Gen I was sh*t. A ton of glitches and zero postgame. Actual good Pokemon Games only started with Crystal, the first game to feature a Battle Tower.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not regarding mythicals, but I don't like how you just download it with no pomp and circumstance and (generally) its Level 100. I'd much rather it down load some kind of quest or interesting new area, and then ended with you fighting the mythical with a 100% catch rate or it just choosing to join you. And its like level 20 so you could theoretically use it on a playthrough if you wanted. It might just be a waste of time and (game mechanic wise) pointless fluff, but that kind of stuff would make mythicals seem at least a little cool, rather than relying on people seeing them showcased in a movie. I really think that kind of Nntendo polish is missing from Pokemon in general sometimes.

This isn't unpopular opinion. I've seen this opinion discuss on other sites. Personally I really don't care if they're handed to me or not. Though it would be nice to get them at lower levels. I don't get why GF cares if a person using a mythical through a playthrough. It's my game! I can do what I want with it!

My turn:
It seems a majority of people on the internet hate the Let's Go games. I'm excited for them. I don't care if they're easy (Pokemon games were never hard.) or were made for babies. Sometimes it's nice to play a very simple game. The catching gameplay looks fun! Oh! And riding Pokemon looks awesome! I can see myself just running around instead of actually playing the game. lol

ThroughTheIris56

It seems a majority of people on the internet hate the Let's Go games. I'm excited for them. I don't care if they're easy (Pokemon games were never hard.) or were made for babies. Sometimes it's nice to play a very simple game. The catching gameplay looks fun! Oh! And riding Pokemon looks awesome! I can see myself just running around instead of actually playing the game. lol

I get where both sides are coming from. I see a lot of unnecessary removals of features that are basic in Pokemon games, in what looks like an attempt to appeal to casuals and children. Furthermore the characters look way too cutesy, and fact that we now have "nice rival" is a middle finger to us who have wanting a more aggressive while for a while. And I know it's taking inspiration from Yellow, but I hate the fact you can't evolve your starter. Seeing your starter evolve and grow stronger with you from the beginning to the end is one of my favourite aspects of any Pokemon game, not mention you're forced to choose the same one every time.

On the other hand, the graphics look amazing for the most part, and riding Pokemon is always great. And the fact it gives a more casual experience could be nice for some players, and it's simplicity could be a nice entry point for newcomers to the franchise. I'm still waiting on more info before I make up my mind.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
I get where both sides are coming from. I see a lot of unnecessary removals of features that are basic in Pokemon games, in what looks like an attempt to appeal to casuals and children. Furthermore the characters look way too cutesy, and fact that we now have "nice rival" is a middle finger to us who have wanting a more aggressive while for a while. And I know it's taking inspiration from Yellow, but I hate the fact you can't evolve your starter. Seeing your starter evolve and grow stronger with you from the beginning to the end is one of my favourite aspects of any Pokemon game, not mention you're forced to choose the same one every time.

On the other hand, the graphics look amazing for the most part, and riding Pokemon is always great. And the fact it gives a more casual experience could be nice for some players, and it's simplicity could be a nice entry point for newcomers to the franchise. I'm still waiting on more info before I make up my mind.

I really don't care if a rival is mean or not. To me it's just another NPC to fight. I have never been motivated by the mean rivals. To be honest Blue just comes off as a brat and a school yard bully. I'm 28 so if they made a rival like Blue it wouldn't much for me. As for Silver. He kicks you once (and you have to interact with him to get that to happen) and after that he's just get piss that his Pokemon isn't strong enough and he belittles you after losses.

Making a non friendly rival might take quite bit work on GF's part. In my honest opinion GF isn't the best when it comes to story telling and fleshed out characters. Their stories are fun and I have characters I love, but if I want a deeper story and characters I'll go to other RPGs. But who knows! Maybe things might be different in the 2019 games. Since gen 5 GF really has been trying to tell deeper stories.

One more thing. It's perfectly fine if you're on the fence about the Let's Go games or don't want to buy them at all. This goes to anyone in general. I'm not directing this at you. But to those who scream that they're the worst thing ever and are ruining the series is extreme. Today I read that Let's Go will ruin the 2019 games because it's taking away resources. In every gaming series there will be a game you will not like. I don't like the majority of the Pokemon spin off games especially Pokemon Snap. When I play these games I find myself wanting to play the main series games.

ThroughTheIris56

I'm not a fan of the fact that Scizor evolves from Scyther, I think they both should have been single stage evolutions. Scyther was in no need of an evolution with a perfectly respectable BST (which doesn't even increase), and what can be seen as their counterparts in each gen (Heracross and Scizor) are related, so to me it just seems out of place. Not to mention needed to trade with a Metal Coat is a pain.

Granted most people would agree Scizor is better, but stat wise it isn't stronger.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I'm not a fan of the fact that Scizor evolves from Scyther, I think they both should have been single stage evolutions. Scyther was in no need of an evolution with a perfectly respectable BST (which doesn't even increase), and what can be seen as their counterparts in each gen (Heracross and Scizor) are related, so to me it just seems out of place. Not to mention needed to trade with a Metal Coat is a pain.

Granted most people would agree Scizor is better, but stat wise it isn't stronger.

It sounds like similar vibes from Porygon2 and Porygon-Z. The later does get a bst boost from evolving, but these pokemon function completely different from each other, similar deal with Scyther and Scizor except those two have the same BST.

(To be fair, Scizor looks like a separate pokemon from Scyther. As a stupid kid I had no idea about their connections.)

Last edited:

ThroughTheIris56

Never actually knew about the Porygon 2 -> Porygon Z before. I always knew that Porygon Z was a somewhat fast but frail, but it never occured to me that Porygon 2 is actually quite a bit bulkier. At least the BST on the evolution is a bit higher in this case.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Never actually knew about the Porygon 2 -> Porygon Z before. I always knew that Porygon Z was a somewhat fast but frail, but it never occured to me that Porygon 2 is actually quite a bit bulkier. At least the BST on the evolution is a bit higher in this case.

The boost goes into special attack and it functions like a normal type special attacker with adaptability. (Until z conversion came along and gave it new niche in life, it gets a speed boost and becomes the type of what ever move you pick to be the first.)

Compare that to Porygon2 who needs the eviolite to be a bulky defensive wall that isn't going to die easily.

Same evolutionary line but different roles to play, in contrast to most evolutions where the final stage does everyone the pre evolution does but better.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
-I don't like mean rivals. They don't come off as someone I want to beat. All they do is come off as a spoiled brat. Silver and Blue fall into this category and they make it hard to play through the game without being interrupted by their annoying presence. I don't know why people act like not having a mean rival means that they suck. Barry, Hugh, and Cheren are prefect examples of rivals that develop and help you throughout their story. They aren't the most challenging rivals in the world, but they at least have a point. I guarantee you the only people like Gary/Blue is because of the anime and the fact they probably had a crappy team before facing him, making his battle hard in Gen 1. And nostalgia. That too.

-Shiny Legendaries have more value than regular legendaries. I don't like how they keep giving out legendaries and mythicals. Especially if they aren't shiny. Maybe in gen 2 or three they would have more value due to limited resources, but almost all my friends have at least of couple of legendaries. They don't have as much value as before.

-I understand where both sides are coming from, but to act like Let's GO is the end of pokemon is ridiculous. Even after Masuda confirmed that the pokemon game in 2019 would be more traditional and not be affected by Let's Go (they have different teams working on the game iirc), people still seem to believe that Let's GO is the end of the franchise. It's not. Having one pokemon game that's a bit different from the rest is not going to destroy the upcoming games. Even then, Masuda said these games would be a spin-off if they sold well. I don't see how that's a problem. If SMT and Persona can do a split franchise division, so can Pokemon.

On the other hand, I do think that some of the decisions they made for the game are dumb (removing held items, abilities, but keeping natures? The hell?) but if this game can bring more people to franchise who may not be interested in other games I'm happy for it. This will probably be the first game my brother (he has some learning disabilities) that he can get into because Gen 7's intro is too long.

-Pokemon has never been that hard. USUM was one of the most recent pokemon games in which I actually stuggled and had a blackout. That being said though, I don't mind them making the games harder.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Here's a few more of mine, some more unpopular than others.

-Shorts aren't comfy and easy to wear.
-Gen 5 did have the worst ratio of good designs versus bad designs, but the story more than made up for this.
-Most poketubers are really annoying (not all though there are some who aren't). {Mr Buddy is the best poketuber,}
-Ditto isn't ugly it's adorable.
-Something other than dragon should be weak to dragon.
-Maractus isn't forgettable, it's adorable.
-Most people forget or ignore the Sevii Islands but I love them.
-Water is wet.
-I think every important trainer should have a full team of 6, even the first gym leader.
-Most of the Alolan forms are better than the originals, even Exeggutor.
-I lied, shorts are comfy and easy to wear , but I'm usually too self-conscious to wear them out the house.
-They should only introduce new megas in the remakes.

I always liked the anime better than the games. Would like to see more games in fact with anime mechanics and logic bringing a bit more realism to the games.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I actually really liked the fact you had to see every Pokemon in the regional Dex in the Sinnoh games, and I wish they made another game like that.
Likewise, I liked how you needed to actually catch (not just see) a certain number of Pokemon to get various items and the Dex upgrade in FireReed/LeafGreen.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I have seen mostly mixed reception to Emerald, the main protagonist of Pokemon Adventures Emerald Arc.

150px-Child_Emerald_Adventures.png

A main character with the condition, dwarfism or something similar.

I personally think Emerald of Pokemon Adventures is actually not only a well-written character but a very rare well-written teenage character exploring a condition, dwarfism, in the fantasy/sci-fi genre. In fact way before characters like Tyrion Lannister of Game of Thrones became popular, this was the first time I saw any form of media explore dwarfism, this is the first time I even realized this condition existed and it was done pretty well and believable. He's a teenager stuck in an adolescent's body and this teenager literally blends in well in an elementary school/orphanage. He is someone who doesn't like Pokemon yet likes competitive battling, I'm talking about VGC competitive, and it's rooted from his condition. It's from this condition, he's often made fun of by not just kids but by his own cousins after his parents died. He's often bullied as being this helpless kid that is too reliant on the Pokemon he's loved to get him to high places. This causes him to resent not only Pokemon but help from nearly everyone. This constant bullying over his condition has forced Emerald to run away until he meets a certain inventor and later he meets Krystal and Prof. Oak which leads up to the events of the Battle Frontier where he rediscovers his love for Pokemon. Honestly I will admit, design-wise, he has certainly the oddest design for a main character out of not only the Pokemon series but out of the shonen manga genre in general that often feature your tall cocky humorous teenage action hero. He does start out a little annoying at the beginning, but the thing is that was the same reaction Adventure fans had to Ruby and Sapphire. People thought Ruby was too feminine and Sapphire was incredibly different from the May of the anime. It was through good story telling and this funny character dynamic full of chemistry that most, if not all, Pokemon Adventure fans embraced this as the best take on Brendan and May from the games. Similar for Emerald, he starts to grow on you over time, especially someone who understand Gen 3 competitive battling. Some people however do like Emerald's character but still hate him in the end because Kusaka's original idea was to have Wally, another well-written character trying to overcome his breathing disorder, represent Pokemon Emerald version but that idea was scrapped. Some fans however did changed their minds over time with the new design for Emerald in the ORAS series, the kid embracing his short stature and long hair. Looking at him now, he actually looks more like a character from the Pokemon game series than his original design featuring lots of gadgetry and a crescent-shaped head.

Whatever your thoughts are on Emerald, I do actually think he's a well-written character exploring a condition, dwarfism or something similar, at a young age that is actually rarely explored and well-crafted for a teenage main character in almost any popular form of media, especially in science fiction or fantasy, which I bet some of you might find it surprising that it's Pokemon of all the forms of media out there.

Last edited: