• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ducolamia said:
-I don't like mean rivals. They don't come off as someone I want to beat. All they do is come off as a spoiled brat. Silver and Blue fall into this category and they make it hard to play through the game without being interrupted by their annoying presence.

I disliked Blue, yet Silver's edginess worked in my opinion given his expanded backstory in HG/SS. His angst made sense, unlike Blue's jerkish behavior.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I never understood the overblown hatred towards the Elemental Monkeys. People who say they're "forced onto you" confuse me as you can avoid that NPC all together and use a Lillipup/Patrat/Purrloin if you hate them that bad. They're not even that bad: I finished a play trough of White recently and Pansage held it weight until around the 6th gym (I was trying to get Crunch before evolving it). Simisage was no different. Are their better options? Yeah. But they still hold their own.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I like the Vanilite line

When it comes to the story, none of the core games are anything special

Mega Charizard X is ugly and should be retconned out of the series

XY were more enjoyable than SM (games)

If it were up to me, Kalos's 2nd game/Z would've come out instead of gen 7/SM in 2016

ThroughTheIris56

Ice should be super effective and have the type advantage over water.

I've never understood why Water resists Ice. Surely cold being able to completely freeze water and render it immobile should mean Ice has the advantage? I understand the argument that it can be seen as adding more (frozen) water to water, but then why make Water neutral against Ice? Plus it would be more balanced seeing as Ice is often at disadvantage and vice versa for Water. Maybe even make Ice resist Water to make Ice a bit more viable as a defensive typing.

Cat's Eye Draco

Ice should be super effective and have the type advantage over water.

I've never understood why Water resists Ice. Surely cold being able to completely freeze water and render it immobile should mean Ice has the advantage? I understand the argument that it can be seen as adding more (frozen) water to water, but then why make Water neutral against Ice?

I always figured it was because ice usually melts in water. Like when you add ice cubes to a drink, etc.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Cynthia is massively overrated. As a champion, she basically serves exactly the same role as Steven. Gives some lore about the respective region, shows up sometimes to help the player, appears when the region is in crisis due to the legendary Pokémon going mad due to the evil team... yeah it’s all starting to sound very familiar indeed. I don’t even know much about her as a character other than she likes ancient stuff (in the exact same way Steven likes stones) and is a female champion.

I bet if she was a male with a different name she wouldn’t be nearly as popular and that’s just a bit silly. She’s literally just Steven 2.0 to me.

As for her team... well, it’s pretty threatening. However, it’s no where near as hard as so many people like to suggest. Her Spiritomb is the problem, it’s just complete setup bait. Then you sweep unimpeded.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Cynthia is massively overrated. As a champion, she basically serves exactly the same role as Steven. Gives some lore about the respective region, shows up sometimes to help the player, appears when the region is in crisis due to the legendary Pokémon going mad due to the evil team... yeah it’s all starting to sound very familiar indeed. I don’t even know much about her as a character other than she likes ancient stuff (in the exact same way Steven likes stones) and is a female champion.

I bet if she was a male with a different name she wouldn’t be nearly as popular and that’s just a bit silly. She’s literally just Steven 2.0 to me.

As for her team... well, it’s pretty threatening. However, it’s no where near as hard as so many people like to suggest. Her Spiritomb is the problem, it’s just complete setup bait. Then you sweep unimpeded.

I would make a joke about the comment against Cynthia. "A generic, blowing it over the top remark about insulting my waifu.... which is a pretty stupid thing to do." but I 100% agree with you and I got in trouble yesterday.

She is basically Steven. Which says a lot considering OR/AS made him quite the looker, still I like both champions myself.

Last edited:

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
Not "unpopular" but definitely an extremely divisive opinion; I really like Gen 5. I completely understand why it wasn't to everyone's taste, I found the overall aesthetic hit-and-miss, but I really love a lot of the Pokémon designs, the music is for the most part Really Great, it gave us a lot of awesome bug types - but I find myself replaying Black and Black2 a lot more often than any other games bar Gen 2 and HGSS, which are my favourite games overall. The difficulty curve is one of the best in any Pokémon game (not saying it's great... but it's something), and the heavy inclusion of Gym Leaders in the plot was really fun. The plot is a little hamfisted, but it was a solid attempt.

Unpopular: I grew up with Gen 1, my first game was Red shortly after it came out here in the UK, but... Gen 1 is so lackluster for me, and always has been. Whilst I have a lot of great memories from playing Gen 1 as a kid, I find it an absolute slog to replay, and as a kid I enjoyed it only because it was a Pokémon game, not because it was a good game. Once GS came out, I pretty much only touched RBY when I needed to trade up exclusive Pokémon for my PokéDex. Though I have replayed it many times since the Virtual Console versions came out, it's not my least favourite Gen but it's just so... meh.

Unpopular 2: I see people get upset about the abundance of cat and dog-based Pokémon but I don't see a problem as long as it's only 1 cat line and 1 dog line per Gen. Cats and Dogs are some of the most popular pets the entire world over, so it makes sense - and thinking about all the different real-world dog and cat breeds out there in the world - I think it's pretty fine.

Unpopular (?) 3: We need more bug types.

Unpopular (?) 4: We need more pigeon Pokémon. Like point 2, pigeons are extremely abundant the world over. Most people don't seem to know this, but there are hundreds of different wild and cultivated species and breeds of pigeons - I was ecstatic when we got Pidove but the fact it evolved into a pheasant was kinda dumb. Maybe it's because I really like pigeons so they're Serious Business to me or something. (For those interested in different types of pigeons, I recommend looking up these fancy/domestic breeds: Capuchin, Fantail, Lahore, Chinese Owl Pigeon, to see the diversity which has been bred just from the Rock Dove/"street pigeon", and for wild ones, Japanese Green Pigeon, Victoria Crown Pigeon, and Crested Pigeon show just a tiny snippet of the different types there are out there).

I say that one as unpopular because whenever I've mentioned to people "more Pigeon Pokémon would make sense/be cool", the idea always gets shot down, so I guess it counts?

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I love baby pokemon and want more.

Blue/Green is super overrated as a rival.

I think Meltan is a gen 8 pokemon and am happy with that.

BW/B2W2 story wasn't all that interesting...

I still would have preferred gyms over trials in Alola, the trials were way too easy and the trial holders are kinda forgettable.

Z-moves < Mega evolution. Not really sure why Z-moves were even added.

Here's a list of unpopular pokemon lines that I love in no particular order:
Jynx: I LOVE Jynx and Smoochum. They have rad designs and Smoochum is such a cutie.
Trubbish: He has such a cute little face and those little rabbit-like ears are the best, plus poison is one of my favourite types. Garbodor is less of a fave but I still love him.
Vanilite: Adorable little icecream baby. Double the cuteness when he evolves.
Skrelp: HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS LITTLE GUY?! And Dragalge is amazing.
Delibird: SANTA BABY!
Bergmite: Also a cutie. He deserves more love.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Here's a list of unpopular pokemon lines that I love in no particular order:
Jynx: I LOVE Jynx and Smoochum. They have rad designs and Smoochum is such a cutie.
Trubbish: He has such a cute little face and those little rabbit-like ears are the best, plus poison is one of my favourite types. Garbodor is less of a fave but I still love him.
Vanilite: Adorable little icecream baby. Double the cuteness when he evolves.
Skrelp: HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS LITTLE GUY?! And Dragalge is amazing.
Delibird: SANTA BABY!
Bergmite: Also a cutie. He deserves more love.

Baby pokemon is a concept that is hit or miss. If they have an exclusive move that makes it worth while or have them show up in the wild... I wouldn't mind. (Pichu and nasty plot, they can make Raichu and it's alolan counter part very scary pokemon.)

The only pokemon on that list I don't like IMO is Delibird.

Jynx/ Smoochum I don't care for though it is nice they have fans.

Trubbish is cute until it evolves. (Though Garbodor was intended to look bad and is more a pokemon I love for his hideousness.)

Vanilite is my favorite underdog pokemon.

Skrelp is a good pokemon and Dragalge's type is only shared by Naganadel. (Poison/ Dragon is pretty good of a type.)

Bergmite... I don't care for.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This ought to be fun:

1. Jynx is freakin' awesome. She's actually one of my favorite pokemon.

2. The Island Trials were dope, and I hope the concept is integrated into gyms in the future.

3. Smogon is dumb.

4. Comparatively, Gen 1 was a freakin' mess. Gen 2 is the true start of the franchise (though I am biased, because Silver was my first game).

5. The anime is trash. The animation's gotten a lot better, though.

6. I am more excited for Let's GO than I am for Gen 8, even though I'm straight up done with Gen 7.

7. Jigglypuff belongs in Smash.

8. Being a gym leader is far cooler than anything else in any world or medium in the entire Pokémon franchise. Come at me.

9. Blue is not the best rival. Hugh is.

10. Pokémon GO isn't all that bad.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Prof. SALTY said:
I love baby pokemon and want more.

I like most of them based on their designs, but even so, they have dreadful stats and seem kind of pointless in hindsight. The concept needed some tweaking back when it was introduced in Gen II.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I like most of them based on their designs, but even so, they have dreadful stats and seem kind of pointless in hindsight. The concept needed some tweaking back when it was introduced in Gen II.

I can think of a few tweeks.
1. Have the baby pokemon learn good moves that might be exclusive from their evolved counter parts. (Our existing pokemon with this perk is Pichu with nasty plot? Wynaut encore!)
2. Have them evolve through easier means. (Bonsly and Mime Jr. are two good examples of getting them into their evolved forms asap.)
3. Make them something to catch early game instead of something we have to breed to get. (Because you can use it.)

Any others you think are needed.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
A lot of people seem to have mixed thoughts on this but I always thought Yellow, a character exclusive to Pokemon Adventures, should make an appearance in the main series games somehow for these reasons.

200px-Yellow_Adventures.png

Because her design looks like a legitimate character from the Pokemon video games, some first-time readers of the heavy game-based manga mistook Yellow as an adaptation of a video game character from the Pokemon main series.

• As a kid (and apparently a few others admitted this), I actually mistaked Yellow as a character from the video games because the way she was designed really looked like a convincing legitimate Pokemon Video Game Character. From her iconic straw-hat to her fishing rod to her sporty/country-style clothing and boots, she looks like a legitimate character from the Pokemon video games that for a while, I had no clue she was made exclusively to the manga. Some fans I knew who never read the manga actually mistook Yellow as a Pokemon character or an NPC trainer from the video games.
  • To add to this, her personality fits well in not just the more serious Pokemon video games but also the much more light-hearted and friendly Pokemon anime believe it or not. In fact, some fans have noticed many striking similarities to Serena's crush on Ash to that of Yellow's crush on Red. The difference between Serena is that Yellow is actually a main character herself , a fairly strong trainer with psychic healing powers, going on a quest to find Red who mysterious went missing. I believe this partly has to do with the fact that Yellow is a Pokemon Adventures character that is supposed to represent the childhood in all of us.
  • Another is that I feel like the introduction of Yellow would add a bit more character to the game version of Red. I'm not saying they have to go by the Adventures manga completely but I feel like Yellow's introduction into the games could give fans a better description of Red of the games in how much Red cares about Pokemon. In the manga, Red is the most important person to Yellow since childhood. It was Red who saved Yellow from imminent danger, helped Yellow caught her very first Pokemon and explained to her that even the scariest of wild Pokemon, like Gyarados, can have the most gentle and friendliest of hearts. What Red did for Yellow contributes to her caring personality of loving Pokemon but hating unnecessary Pokemon battles and I feel like if GameFreak adapts that experience, we get a better idea on what kind of character Red is in the games rather than the usual jokingly "..." we get.
  • Yellow is based on Pokemon Yellow Version and I feel like the Pokemon Let's Go titles, remakes of Yellow, would be the perfect entry point for a small cameo or at least a reference of her, perhaps her iconic clothing and strawhat being an option for both boys and girls.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ships will never pay off because of the status quo and/or revolving supporting protagonist so I don't support any ship. Except Pokeshipping because of nostalgia and because the series was supposed to end with Kanto

AuroraBeam

I legitimately have no qualms over the amount of Fire/Fighting starters there have been and like them all. In fact, when mega evolution was a thing; I was secretly hoping typhlolsion would get one that would make it part Fighting, just to see the general reaction.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:
Ships will never pay off because of the status quo and/or revolving supporting protagonist so I don't support any ship. Except Pokeshipping because of nostalgia and because the series was supposed to end with Kanto

PokeShipping was no different however, since there was no evidence that Satoshi and Kasumi would end up together in the end. In fact, one of the head writers for the OS saga practically killed the ship by revealing in his blog that Kasumi didn't have romantic feelings for Satoshi at all.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm not sure how unpopular or mixed this opinion is however I always thought Jessie and James were the best male-female best friends duo. I never really understood the Rocketshipping as not only does Jessie and James stand out as the best of friends but instead of blushing or freaking out, like a lot of other character tropes do, they laugh at the idea of being called a couple.

Also I always felt the Team Rocket trio felt out of place in the anime at first even as a kid. Other than the talking Meowth, one of the reasons why I thought Yellow looked like a legitimate video game character is the same reason why I felt like the Team Rocket trio felt out of place in the anime at first was because of the clothing. Yellow has a much more country-sporty type of clothing back than featuring a type of hat popularly seen in the country, a strawhat. It's through her surprisingly well-researched design that some fans actually mistook her as a legit video game character. You can tell Kusaka, the writer of Adventures, did his research for the designing, or at least giving his ideas for the design, of Yellow. Whereas Team Rocket, at first, had way more fashionable clothing compared to Ash, Brock and Misty's more sportier clothing. The simple change from black to white honestly made Jessie and James looks less gangster-like compared to their other Team Rocket counterparts. They looked very out-of-place to me back than when most characters wore specific clothing that fits Pokemon's worldbuilding, kids wearing sporty and country-types of clothing and adults often wearing clothing that fit their jobs. However their antics eventually grew on me but it wasn't really until Gen 4 that Team Rocket's more fashionable style of clothing felt like it belonged in Pokemon as Gen 4 was adding more fashionable-looking characters, a great example being Krys's sportier look transitioning into Lyra's more fashionable look.

Last edited: