• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

List of Unpopular Opinions

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I don't agree with paying for Pokemon bank but I understand it, plus those hidden ability starters help sweeten the deal.
Nintendo switch online however is a whole other kettle of fish, that said I won't condemn it completely until I see how it works with a Pokemon game.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Nintendo Switch Online is inexcusable. But that’s not an unpopular opinion.

How about I like Route 217 in Sinnoh? I agree with the whole movement speed thing but apart from that I really love the aesthetic, music, atmosphere, abundance of ice types, subtle haunting, and more about it. For me the positives really outweigh the negatives and I end up adoring the route. The only way it could be better for me is if the snow instead worked like sand in Unova.

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
Not only is it time consuming and tedious, you would need pokemon to trade BACK. That would be hundreds of low level easy catches... Big oof.

I only had to catch like one Pokemon for it. You can only do it one at a time, so that made it even easier, not harder.

Honestly, I'm about as impatient as they come and really wasn't that big of a deal for me. And I'd take it a hundred times over than supporting Nintendo's new motives.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Nintendo Switch Online is inexcusable. But that’s not an unpopular opinion.

How about I like Route 217 in Sinnoh? I agree with the whole movement speed thing but apart from that I really love the aesthetic, music, atmosphere, abundance of ice types, subtle haunting, and more about it. For me the positives really outweigh the negatives and I end up adoring the route. The only way it could be better for me is if the snow instead worked like sand in Unova.
I'm no fan of it either. That said, at least it's only $20. $60 for PS Plus on the other hand... way too much.

Cradily17

I'm no fan of it either. That said, at least it's only $20. $60 for PS Plus on the other hand... way too much.
It's not the price that's the issue. It's the terrible services offered for the price. The online is still peer-to-peer which is exactly the way it was before the service began. NES games are the only retro games offered. Save data back-ups are locked behind the service and aren't even compatible with every game. It's a mess, and I don't understand how people can defend it unless they want good boy points.
LPGE isn't as bad as everyone says (watching walkthroughs as we speak).
To be fair, that isn't an unpopular opinion on this board. Most people on these forums have nothing but praise for LGPE.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think Garbodor is a cool looking Pokemon. Specifically his finger cannons that shoot out poison.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I think Garbodor is a cool looking Pokemon. Specifically his finger cannons that shoot out poison.

To be fair, I don't even have many bad things to say about Garbodor... with the right ability and stat adjustments, he could be a force to be reckoned with.

Plus as a representation of land pollution. (Garbage.) It's hideousness is intentional and I find that to be a good design choice if you want to think of it that way, the entries make no effort to hide that it is as hazardous as it looks and that much I can appreciate.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I see more people liking those infamous Gen 5 Pokémon (Vanilluxe, Garbodor, and Stunfisk to name a few) just to be hipster than actually hating them

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I see more people liking those infamous Gen 5 Pokémon (Vanilluxe, Garbodor, and Stunfisk to name a few) just to be hipster than actually hating them

Stunfisk is the only one of those three I actually hated from the start, the flounder thing was okay... but everything else is just stupid. (Limber is so useless for it these days! It isn't good in battle and while it has a unique type, it doesn't have anything for him otherwise.)

Vanilluxe, I didn't care for until I had a Vanillish evolve into this thing. (I only caught it to go up against the dragon gym and invested more time into it than I would have.) He did amazing in battle during my white run, did amazing against the Elite Four and I just look down on those who talk trash about the ice cream. (It hits hard, has respectful bulk... for an ice type and this isn't the first time or the last time we have a pokemon based on an inanimate object.)

Garbodor I already pointed out why it's concept is just genius and how I have a hidden respect for it.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins

Maybe it’s not being hipster as much as it is them not being bad designs to begin with?

I think bug types are severely underrated for in game playthroughs. How early you can get an early bug fully evolved means they can have a big impact in the beginning of the game, and pokemon’s difficulty is often fairly frontloaded so this is neat. I respect that not all of them hold up over time (however some really do: see gen 4 Scyther for an example) but they’re viable for when you need them. We also can’t forget that some of them have pretty nice capture utility like Vivillon’s compound eyes stun spore, which arrives very early too, before you would have other reliable methods of paralysis.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Maybe it’s not being hipster as much as it is them not being bad designs to begin with?

I think bug types are severely underrated for in game playthroughs. How early you can get an early bug fully evolved means they can have a big impact in the beginning of the game, and pokemon’s difficulty is often fairly frontloaded so this is neat. I respect that not all of them hold up over time (however some really do: see gen 4 Scyther for an example) but they’re viable for when you need them. We also can’t forget that some of them have pretty nice capture utility like Vivillon’s compound eyes stun spore, which arrives very early too, before you would have other reliable methods of paralysis.
Trust me, I like the designs (especially Stunfisk). I just think people use this as a way to say "Hey, I like the unpopular thing! Aren't I such a cool person?"

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer

To be honest I liked them from the Beginning. I don't hate many pokemon if any.

If anything i Dislike how popular some pokemon are, Like Charizard or Lucario. They are still good pokemon, They're just in everything.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Other than the forced tutorial, I love Mantine Surfing! The ocean and the skies look so beautiful when you're playing it! Lastly, thank goodness you don't encounter wild Pokemon while doing it all plus you get some BP in the end!

The music also is pretty amazing too imo.

shoz999

Other than the forced tutorial, I love Mantine Surfing! The ocean and the skies look so beautiful when you're playing it! Lastly, thank goodness you don't encounter wild Pokemon while doing it all plus you get some BP in the end!

The music also is pretty amazing too imo.
Mantine Surfing is an unpopular opinion? Huh... weird. I not only think it's great but I think it should return as a form of free-form transportation in a Breath of the Wild-style Pokemon game.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Mantine Surfing is an unpopular opinion? Huh... weird. I not only think it's great but I think it should return as a form of free-form transportation in a Breath of the Wild-style Pokemon game.
Idk I'm still playing through Ultra Sun haha. If it is popular though then that's great!

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Idk I'm still playing through Ultra Sun haha. If it is popular though then that's great!
Yeah, I haven’t seen much dislike against Mantine surfing. Alola Photo Club seems to get a bit more hate based on my observations.

Which, btw I like Alola Photo Club just fine. A great way to show off my adorable little Ayla to everyone in Festival Plaza and even on Twitter! <3

shoz999

Yeah, I haven’t seen much dislike against Mantine surfing. Alola Photo Club seems to get a bit more hate based on my observations.

Which, btw I like Alola Photo Club just fine. A great way to show off my adorable little Ayla to everyone in Festival Plaza and even on Twitter! <3
I don't think that's the case. I remember that there was this Photo club thread somewhere here on Serebii.net and it exploded in popularity at one time.

Edit: Found the thread. Not as popular as I remembered.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon

to be honest i like the photo club and actually remembered that at this point. i totally forgot that mantine surfing even existed since i stopped playing gen7. mantine surfing is just that forgettable (and evil), you try to get a high jump but those damn sharpedo or wailord scuttle your vain attempts grrrrrrr.