• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Little Big Horn! (127)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Lol why? Brock rarely even battled in Johto, so Stantler would've been neglected under his care anyway...

Even so, Stantler could've been an interesting addition to his team back then even if only as a way to showcase another Johto species in the cast. ^^

pokemon fan 132

Lol why? Brock rarely even battled in Johto, so Stantler would've been neglected under his care anyway...

Going by that logic every main character who don't battle often should never catch any pokemon or even have any, because "it would be waste".

Having Brock keep Stantler would have gave him interesting pokemon whose cool design and very unique abilities of distorting reality may have contributed to Brock character becoming more battle active. In giving him pokemon which writers could have effectively used when going against villains, poachers etc.

It would have helped flesh out Brock career as pokemon breeder given how much he shined and was organized in this episode in managing to help Stantler healing him and overcome distrust toward humans.
'Not to mention more variety to Brock pokemon team wouldn't have hurt at all.
Under Brock we would still see Stantler involved in more action than what was alternative. With Stantler being very rarely seen afterwards, let alone being in action.

JudySpell

Banned
Brock and Stantler becoming friends was nice but what I enjoyed even more was seeing the baby Stantler's illusion powers. 7.5/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was hard watching the scene where Brock insisted on the Stantler leaving, but otherwise he was really great in this episode. And at least the scene where he was pretending to be a Stantler was less disturbing than his scene with the Sudowoodo in "Type Casting."

Leonhart

Imagineer
So for the second time in early Jouto, we got an episode dealing with illusions, only this time a young Odoshishi was causing them as a defense mechanism. It was great seeing Takeshi take charge of healing Odoshishi, as well as when his Iwark cracked the Rocket-dan's deer mecha. This was a nice filler.

I noticed lots of music from the Mewtwo movie in this episode, but since we had seen illusions in the Hoothoot episode, Stantler's illusions felt pointless.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yeah, the writers kind of copied the Hoothoot episode's plot, sans the haunted forest angle.

They did take a page out of that episode's book, although they still managed to differentiate between the two episodes by focusing more on Takeshi here for a change, and by also building up Odoshishi's backstory and explaining that it got separated from its herd.

Daizy

I call you honey
When Brock found the little Stantler, I kept thinking he would catch it. But the early Johto eps had this sick pattern of avoiding obvious catches for the cast.

Leonhart

Imagineer
When Brock found the little Stantler, I kept thinking he would catch it. But the early Johto eps had this sick pattern of avoiding obvious catches for the cast.

Odoshishi wouldn't have been a good capture choice for Takeshi however, because it had a family already and was still very young. Not just that, but Odoshishi wasn't exactly the most charismatic Jouto Pokemon that we'd seen so far.

Good episode that proved why Brock's needed in the group since he sees things that Ash and Misty couldn't such as Stantler's illusions. If Brock had kept Stantler I wonder how it would've developed.

Stantler living so close to a big city was strange because you'd think that the herd would've liked on a mountain or forest instead of being so close to the human population. I thought that Brock caring for the little Stantler was leading up to his catching it but of course that didn't happen because the writers just hate Brock. The illusion powers that Stantler had reminded me of the illusions from four episodes ago in the Hoothoot episode. 6/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Firefo×Fennekin said:
Stantler living so close to a big city was strange because you'd think that the herd would've liked on a mountain or forest instead of being so close to the human population.

I might be mistaken, but I think that Odoshishi was mentioned to usually live in mountainous terrain in this episode, and I had assumed that it wandered into human territory after getting separated from its herd. Also, the fact that Odoshishi was in a city might've also been a reference to Nara City in Japan, which is famous for having wild deer. Since Kikyou City is based on Nara, and this episode was somewhat close to Kikyou City judging by the direction that Satoshi's group were heading in, it all kind of fits.