1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Little details you noticed about the Pokemon series.

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Speaking of that, I noticed that the design of the male variant of the Schoolkid trainer class in OR/AS resembles Masato (Max) and I believe one of them actually owned a Ralts, which seemed like a reference to Masato befriending Ralts in the anime.

2. The Red Thunder

The Red Thunder Backwards thinking?

Between Gold/Silver and Crystal, GameFreak had swapped the normal and shiny sprites for Spinarak and Smeargle (and probably some others, too). When I first played Fire Red, I encountered a green Spinarak, thinking I found a shiny, only to find out that I didn't. This fact will always stand out to me in my mind as a particular irritation.

The Red, Blue, and Green from Let's Go are a reference to the manga, especially in Green's appearance. Having a Blastoise is a reference to how her manga counterpart stole the remaining Squirtle from Professor Oak. It's actually a wonderful nod to another canon, that gets almost zero representation outside it's own medium.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'm guessing that you had never seen its official Ken Sugimori artwork before or seen its color scheme in the anime? Because the species was always green in all of its non-Gold and Silver version appearances.

shoz999 and RedBlastoise like this.
  4. The Red Thunder

The Red Thunder Backwards thinking?

At the time, no, I hadn't. I always knew Spinarak to be dark blue and black as that's it's default color in the game that it debuted in.

Ubermuk and shoz999 like this.
  5. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Mantine used to have Remoraid as part of its sprite. That is, until Gen 4 when its pre-evolution was introduced. Perhaps this was for continuity, as Remoraid is still its individual Pokemon after using it to evolve Mantyke

shoz999 likes this.
  6. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Seriously? They dropped the Remoraid in future iterations!? That is such a cool looking detail, I still remember Mantine in 3D, Pokemon Stadium 2, with that Remoraid under its wing. They should've kept it.

NeedsAName likes this.
  7. NeedsAName

NeedsAName Well-Known Member

There's a guy in Shalour City who references Harmoknight.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  8. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

Sceptile isn't in the Plant breeding group, instead being Monster/Dragon. The latter is exemplified in its Mega Evolution.

Spiritomb has a lot to do with 108, with one of the associations being that it is in Sea Mauville, which is at Route 108.

The reason you catch Lickitung in that Spiritomb event in Pokemon GO is that Lickitung is Pokemon #108 in the National Dex.

Ubermuk, wolf jani and NeedsAName like this.
  9. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

The Pokemon Tower and the Memorial Pillar in Gen 1. The House of Memories in Gen 2. Mount Pyre in Gen 3. The Lost Tower and some of the lore behind the Old Chateau in Gen 4. The Celestial Tower in Gen 5, Route 10's graveyard in Gen 6, Hau'oli Cemetary and Memorial Hill in Gen 7. X/Y's plot revolving around an ancient war and a weapon of mass destruction that was once used to kill presumably thousands of people, and Lysandre attempting to use the weapon again to kill everyone who isn't a part of Team Flare. OR/AS's post-game plot revolving around saving the planet from imminent destruction via a massive meteor. Come to think of it, ever since Gen 3 pretty much every game's story involves averting a catastrophe that has the potential for massive loss of life and/or the unraveling of reality as we know it.

If the PMD games count as canon, there are numerous instances where it's heavily implied or outright stated that the PC or another character's life is in danger (Luxray, Dusknoir, Dialga, and Palkia all attempt to "destroy" or "eliminate" the player at some point in time, and Darkrai goes so far as to seemingly try to trick the player and their partner into suicide. I don't remember much about Gates to Infinity but I do remember that Kyurem outright threatens to kill you and does "kill" Hydreigon by freezing him solid and then shattering him, only for it to be revealed that Hydreigon is a manifestation of the Spirit of Life or something and can reform at will.) There's plenty of references to death in Pokemon, they just aren't as overt as other games, and given what kind of game Pokemon is I don't think they need to be.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Leonhart, NeedsAName and wolf jani like this.
  10. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

The Village of Dragons was mentioned in White 2/Black 2 even though it was first introduced in the anime. There was also a reference to Alain from the anime in OR/AS. I like when the games mention anime stuff lol.

jaden767, NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  11. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Pink butter free was mentioned in one of the games thought that was a cool Easter egg

Leonhart and NeedsAName like this.
  12. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Shiny Butterfree in Gen 2 has a lot of pink, which may mean something

jaden767, Emboar_Rulez and NeedsAName like this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Regarding the pink Butterfree mention in the Jouto games, I had personally assumed that the NPC who mentioned that was referring to the Shiny Butterfree coloration, not necessarily the pink Butterfree from the anime. But that's just my take on it.

NeedsAName and Emboar_Rulez like this.