• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Little Wishiwashi Isn't Lacking, It's the Lord of the Lake! (976)

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
This was much better than the first Totem battle, honestly.

They didn't take more than half the episode length to actually show us the Totem this time. And Wishiwashi had far more screentime since Lana didn't have to fight Ally Pokemon before getting to it like Ash did with Gumshoos and Yungoos.

And the best part is she defeated Wishiwashi all by herself. No needing to be saved by Ash, though they did throw him a bone by letting him fend off Alomomola.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Such a good episode! It was so nice to see Lana being the star here and extra extra nice that the water totem didn't just get a thunderbolt to be taken down by Pikachu. I'm excited for the subs tho!
Lana is a goof with all her jokes lol. but I'm so happy she got her waterium-z! She so deserves it and Poplio is a beast! It's also good to know that Poplio technically didn't KO Wishiwashi, it just brought it to half health in order for it to separate, for anyone saying Poplio is too OP. I was expecting Wishiwashi to be able to bring itself apart just to dodge, but aqua jet ramming through it was fun to see.

Also that Alomamola seemed like a little ***** :p

doofinc

get rillaboomed
So since Ash didn't get the Waterium Z, is it safe to assume that Ash probably won't get a pokemon with water as its primary type?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Seriously, can this Fujisaku guy write every Lana episode from here on out? First there's her going into beast mode in the PokeBase episode, and now this.

Golden_Latias might have tears of joy in her eyes, I bet. :p
We'll save that for when Popplio actually evolves, alright? ;)

I don't mind the pupper not evolving in this episode. The only reason I assumed it might was because I was under the assumption the Trials would be stretched out like traditional gyms and that Lana was going to be sidelined for awhile after this episode. Yesterday's episode reveals confirmed that this will not be the case, so Lana probably won't get sidelined for a long stretch of time like I thought she would. Besides, I kind of figured they would want to show off Popplio using Hydro Vortex at least once before evolution. For now, I'm fine with Popplio's new move and Lana obtaining a Waterium-Z. It's better to develop Popplio's battling a little more before evolving it anyway.

As for the episode, aside from wishing Ash contributed to the battle a little more, I enjoyed it. :) The "fishing battle" between Lana and Totem Wishiwashi was intense and exciting to watch. She really showed how much of a bad*** she can be here, and even Popplio got a little development. It was scared at first, but seeing Lana's determination drove it to get back into the water to continue battling. Hopefully this is a sign we'll get to see it battle a little bit more often. Either way, Lana really worked her butt off and earned that Waterium-Z. I also enjoyed some of the more comical moments, like whatever Lana was talking about with Mega Gyarados and Jessie fishing up Bewear (gold medal to whoever called that one), although I don't think that scene with Ash's classmates pigging out on dairy products was really necessary.

I'm still wondering whether the Totem Wishiwashi wasn't that strong or just PIS that Popplio totally dispersed it? Most probably the latter
School Form Wishiwashi is nothing more than an assimilated school of Solo Form Wishiwashi and is therefore probably hollow. There's nothing weird about Aqua Jet taking it out.

nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 said:
What did I tell you guys? With Lana getting a Z-Ring in the most recent episode, it's all but confirmed she's gonna get the Waterium-Z here. Ash is just here because Popplio is not going to defeat Wishiwashi without Pikachu's help. .

Can't wait for the backtracking by the users who said these were baseless assumptions and just "bashing the series for stuff I assume will happen"

Episode was absolute trash btw. I can't believe almost all of it consisted of Lana struggling to reel in Wishiwashi. It wasn't even a proper battle, Wishiwashi didn't attack or anything, it was just trying not to be reeled in. And then what in the world was the point of that old man and Team Rocket being here?

The only upside was seeing Alomomola appear as an Ally Pokemon which I thought was pretty cool.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
So since Ash didn't get the Waterium Z, is it safe to assume that Ash probably won't get a pokemon with water as its primary type?

NO!!

Kiawe having Firium Z didn't stop Ash from getting Litten. Remember that!!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Minor Points i liked,
- Olivia asking Lana whether she was going on a Fishing Date with Ash.
- Pikachu and Popplio doing a Titanic style pose in front of the boat.
- Pikachu's expression after his near-death experience.

Just because he didn't get Waterium Z, doesn't mean he won't get a Water type Pokemon. Because with that logic, Ash should have gotten Litten as well, since Kiawe already has a Fire type and Firium Z.

I am not saying that he would definitely get a Water type, but the chances are still there even though Lana has a Waterium Z.

But if Litten evolves into Incineroar it'll have its own Z-Crystal anyway.

Well because of its character and Delia's interaction with Litten, i would say that it won't evolve past Torracat.

Last edited:

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
So will Primarina if Popplio fully evolves. ;)

Exactly. We can't still rule out the possibility of ash getting a water type pokemon. I really want him to get the dewpider line.

Talking about the episode, i loved the episode and really liked how Lana got all the focus and the Z-crystal. This pretty much confirms that the other friends will also get the ring. Lillie would have to wait longer though. 9/10

nickdt

Well... i think its a little different in Kiawe's case. He already got the Firium Z before Ash arrived in Alola. Ash has Rowlet as well, and as it seems now, Mallow will be the one who will showcase the Grassium Z (Since i now kinda expect every classmate will get a Z-Crystal for the typing they are specialized in). I think its kinda likely Ash will not get a Water type. This episode can also be an indication both Rowlet and Litten will fully evolve, so they can showcase their respective Z-Moves with Ash and with that Ash bascially doesn't need the Firium and Grassium Z (Since Team Rocket has Darkinium Z, Nanu can hand out a Incinium Z, while Acerola can hand out Decidium Z).

nuzamaki90

So will Primarina if Popplio fully evolves. ;)

..Yea but what does that have to do with anything? There's only one Water Trial, and Lana already did it technically, and I doubt they'll ever go back to it ever again.

If he gets a Water type like Dewpider or Wimpod, he's definitely going to use the Bug Z-Crystal with them. The Waterium-Z ship has sailed.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well... i think its a little different in Kiawe's case. He already got the Firium Z before Ash arrived in Alola. Ash has Rowlet as well, and as it seems now, Mallow will be the one who will showcase the Grassium Z (Since i now kinda expect every classmate will get a Z-Crystal for the typing they are specialized in). I think its kinda likely Ash will not get a Water type. This episode can also be an indication both Rowlet and Litten will fully evolve, so they can showcase their respective Z-Moves with Ash and with that Ash bascially doesn't need the Firium and Grassium Z (Since Team Rocket has Darkinium Z, Nanu can hand out a Incinium Z, while Acerola can hand out Decidium Z).

I'd love for Mallow to get the Grassium Z as well, but the problem is that unlike Lana, it doesn't look like she's going to get a Z Ring any time soon. Episode 35 just seems like Totem Lurantis will be defeated, and I highly doubt Mallow's going to get a Z Ring there. So obviously if she can't get it, Ash will be using the Grassium-Z instead.

I do like your idea of Totem Mimikyu and Nanu giving out Decidium Z and Incinium Z though. It makes sense since the Decidium Z and Incinium Z are actually Ghost and Dark type anyway.

Last edited:
I'd love for Mallow to get the Grassium Z as well, but the problem is that unlike Lana, it doesn't look like she's going to get a Z Ring any time soon. Episode 35 just seems like Totem Lurantis will be defeated, and I highly doubt Mallow's going to get a Z Ring there. So obviously if she can't get it, Ash will be using the Grassium-Z instead.

I do like your idea of Totem Mimikyu and Nanu giving out Decidium Z and Incinium Z though. It makes sense since the Decidium Z and Incinium Z are actually Ghost and Dark type anyway.

I feel like Mallow will get Grassium Z, but only use it when she gets a Z-ring, and I'm predicting it to be on either Ula Ula or Poni Island.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I feel like Mallow will get Grassium Z, but only use it when she gets a Z-ring, and I'm predicting it to be on either Ula Ula or Poni Island.

Which is pretty pointless tbh, since she'll be having Grassium-Z without a Z Ring. If Ash gets the Grassium Z, he has the Z Ring right now, and a Pokémon in the form of Rowlet that can use Bloom Doom immediately.

I think it's pretty obvious that Lana was given the Z Ring and Waterium Z only because Ash didn't have a Water type, and for the fact that she has a marketable Pokemon in Popplio to show off Hydro Vortex.

That's why I sadly feel Mallow's going to get the short end of the stick again, and it's a 50/50 on whether she can use Z Moves. I'd love to be wrong though, since Mallow's my favourite along with Kiawe.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Actually, I do think Ash will obtain the Grassium-Z for a couple of reasons.

First off, SM36 mentions Ash uses Rowlet against Olivia. Despite Rowlet's type advantage against her, I thought this was an odd decision, especially since Rowlet itself is weak to Rock types. Pikachu has Iron Tail, has more experience, and is not weak to Rock types, so it would have made more sense than Rowlet. But what if Ash is using Rowlet because he earns the Grassium-Z in SM35? ;) Then it makes a little more sense.

Second, because I just don't see an opportunity for Mallow to obtain a Z-Ring in SM35, and I'm not getting the same warning bells that I got for SM32. Unlike that episode, where focusing on Lana instead of Mallow (who gives you the Stoutland ride in the games) or Lillie (her fear) made no sense unless she was going to get something out of it, it's natural that Mallow would get focused on for her own Trial.

..Yea but what does that have to do with anything? There's only one Water Trial, and Lana already did it technically, and I doubt they'll ever go back to it ever again.

If he gets a Water type like Dewpider or Wimpod, he's definitely going to use the Bug Z-Crystal with them. The Waterium-Z ship has sailed.
Because your argument was that Incineroar has its own Z-Move, so there's no issue with Ash catching Litten despite Kiawe having a Firium-Z.

Well, right back at you. Primarina has its own Z-Move, and assuming Popplio fully evolves and Lana obtains the Primarium-Z, she'd likely use that over the Waterium-Z anyway. So that shouldn't stop Ash from obtaining a Water Type.

It's also possible USM introduces some new Alolan form that's a Water Type, as well.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!

If Popplio fully evolves and Lana gets the specific crystal for Primarina, she can give her waterium-Z to ash.

Alternatively, like his other mons, ash's hypothetical water type pokemon can use the Normal type crystal to show off Breakneck blitz.

@Golden_Latias: If Mallow somehow gets the Grassium-Z in SM035, then getting a Z-Ring shouldn't be an issue as Olivia is a Kahuna, and she can give Mallow a Z-Ring anyday. I liked your reason for Ash to bring Rowlet to battle Olivia though.

Last edited:
Which is pretty pointless tbh, since she'll be having Grassium-Z without a Z Ring. If Ash gets the Grassium Z, he has the Z Ring right now, and a Pokémon in the form of Rowlet that can use Bloom Doom immediately. I think it's pretty obvious that Lana was given the Z Ring and Waterium Z only because Ash didn't have a Water type, and for the fact that she has a marketable Pokemon in Popplio to show off Hydro Vortex.

I mean that Ash can us eit right now, but Mallow uses it later.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I mean that Ash can us eit right now, but Mallow uses it later.

I mean sure, he can use the Grassium-Z till Mallow gets her own Z Ring, and then he can give it to her. But that's honestly such a pathetic way imo for her to get her Z Crystal.