• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Little Wishiwashi Isn't Lacking, It's the Lord of the Lake! (976)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I'm super hyped for the episode now...too bad I still have about 9 hours until I can get somewhere I can watch it. Since Lana gets a Waterium Z here, I'm thinking SM34 is a capture for Kiawe (maybe he'll be battling Marowak when Salazzle appears out of nowhere and they have to team up) and SM35 would be a capture for Mallow (Fomantis) or evolution (Steenee evolves quickly and since it already has a thing for attacking Rowlet [though it's Rowlet's fault anyway] and Tsareena has dominatrix, and therefore, sadist overtones)

I mean sure, he can use the Grassium-Z till Mallow gets her own Z Ring, and then he can give it to her. But that's honestly such a pathetic way imo for her to get her Z Crystal.

Maybe she earns the crystal herself but let's Ash use it until later?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Maybe she earns the crystal herself but let's Ash use it until later?

Probably. But still I'm quite disappointed regarding this. Like Lana, they should've given Mallow one episode where she gets a Z Ring, and then she gets the Grassium Z. It just feels like the writers gave her the short end of the stick again, like they have been giving her throughout this series so far. And it's upsetting for me personally since I actually do like Mallow quite a bit, and I don't care for Lana.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Probably. But still I'm quite disappointed regarding this. Like Lana, they should've given Mallow one episode where she gets a Z Ring, and then she gets the Grassium Z. It just feels like the writers gave her the short end of the stick again, like they have been giving her throughout this series so far. And it's upsetting for me personally since I actually do like Mallow quite a bit, and I don't care for Lana.

They can have Olivia give her the Z-ring after she gets the Grassium-Z crystal. If Olivia is like Hala, she's got tons of Z-rings in her house.

Or even Hala if they go back to Melemele and Mallow shows him the crystal.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
They can have Olivia give her the Z-ring after she gets the Grassium-Z crystal. If Olivia is like Hala, she's got tons of Z-rings in her house.

Or even Hala if they go back to Melemele and Mallow shows him the crystal.

I'm probably wrong, but aren't those Z Rings owned by Kahunas reserved for Island Challengers only? If not, why couldn't they have done something similar for Lana, such as finding the Waterium Z today, and then Olivia giving her a Z Ring instead of going through the trouble of finding it by luck during a treasure hunt.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I'm probably wrong, but aren't those Z Rings owned by Kahunas reserved for Island Challengers only? If not, why couldn't they have done something similar for Lana, such as finding the Waterium Z today, and then Olivia giving her a Z Ring instead of going through the trouble of finding it by luck during a treasure hunt.

Might be, might not be. I'm not in a position to recheck any episodes that might say (like Hala episodes).

Probably found the Sparkling Stone to make it more mysterious than being given it and it's also a key ish part of the games (not to mention Ash's Z ring was already a ring when Tapu Koko gave it to him, so he didn't show it off).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I really liked this episode. Bewear is still OP as ever, now it flies with propellor legs for some reason, still into the sky like it's Mewtwo. That thing gets more and more insane. It also really surprised me, I wasn't expecting Bewear to show up so early in the episode. Also liked Ash turning to ash, and a lot of the facial expressions. The old guy seeing Totem Wishiwashi was really funny, as was Ash seeing it for the first time. The battle with Wishiwashi was cool, I like how they did it. Having Lana with the fishing rod keep it tied up while Popplio attacked it was a great strategy, and Popplio learning a new move was awesome too. Lana might be my favourite classmate this series, she can be so vulnerable and sweet at times and yet at other times she's a total badass.

One more thing I really liked. Ash having a Lapras rod now, that's a neat callback to the Orange Islands.

I don't think Mega Gyarados will feature in this series, we've already seen it in XYZ and mega evolution isn't the focus of this season. I think it's just a gag just like Lana mentioning Kyogre and Lugia earlier on and I highly doubt we'll be seeing either of those in Alola. I was however expecting her next joke to involve seeing Manaphy instead of Mega Gyarados as the next legendary pokémon from the sea, but I was wrong. Maybe we'll get a Manaphy joke later on in the series.

Also, I'm pretty sure the scene where Ash 'fights' Magikarp was pulled straight from Episode 5, I think they just copy-pasted the scene and replaced the background.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Because your argument was that Incineroar has its own Z-Move, so there's no issue with Ash catching Litten despite Kiawe having a Firium-Z.

Well, right back at you. Primarina has its own Z-Move, and assuming Popplio fully evolves and Lana obtains the Primarium-Z, she'd likely use that over the Waterium-Z anyway. So that shouldn't stop Ash from obtaining a Water Type.

It's also possible USM introduces some new Alolan form that's a Water Type, as well.

The chances of Lana giving Ash her Z-Crystal are very low. Why I say that is because if people could let others use their Z-Crystals, then I don't understand why Kiawe wouldn't have let Ash use the Firium Z with Litten to help train just in case the time comes where Ash would use it. And I never said Ash wouldn't or couldn't get a Water-type, but if he does, they'll most likely use the Buginium Z rather than Waterium Z. If people could share Z Crystals, I'm pretty sure that would have been brought up by now.

Janovy

Banned
Can't wait for the backtracking by the users who said these were baseless assumptions and just "bashing the series for stuff I assume will happen".
At the time it was baseless assumption.

No need to backtrack on anything just because your speculation turned out to be correct.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The chances of Lana giving Ash her Z-Crystal are very low. Why I say that is because if people could let others use their Z-Crystals, then I don't understand why Kiawe wouldn't have let Ash use the Firium Z with Litten to help train just in case the time comes where Ash would use it. And I never said Ash wouldn't or couldn't get a Water-type, but if he does, they'll most likely use the Buginium Z rather than Waterium Z. If people could share Z Crystals, I'm pretty sure that would have been brought up by now.
Nowhere in my post did I mention Lana giving Ash her Waterium-Z, because I do agree that the idea of loaning Z-Crystals is stupid, and we would have seen it by now. If Ash is going to get a Waterium-Z of his own, he should earn it himself.

Last edited:

Nafsika

This episode was really good and intence!!!! The fight with Wishiwashi was really good!!! I love that Poplio learn Aqua Jet!!! And Lana got the Waterioum z-cristal is so interesting I wonder how she's going to use it!!! I liked that every z-ring haw a different colur!!! And also it was really nice that Ash didn't steal thespot light from Lana!!! I liked the fact that helped but the battle was Lana and Poplio's!!!! And the other thing that alot of you have already mention is that Poplio get a little character development exept of the new move!!!

And the funny parts were good!!! Lana's joke about Gyrados and the facial exprecions they used on Ash were really hilarious but the high light scene in this episode was Bewear shown and grab TR!!! I have start to think that he have put on them bags to watch them!!! There's no other explanetion!!!! And it was really funny to watch the others spent time on Kiawe's ranch!!!

So great episode!!! What a pity that they won't show a episode the other week!!! I guess we have to wait!!!

Vipsoccermaster

Really enjoyed this episode a lot. Hilarious that Team Rocket got blasted away after fishing up Bewear (Bewear taking them away), all of them out of the episode before the title card comes. Excellent move there. I guess Meowth was responsible for the Wishiwashi injury. Bad cat! You'd think Meowth would eat it up since Wishiwashi is a fish, and cats love fish. But nope, glad that didn't happen.

Lana is like, in all different kinds of areas, from enjoyment in the beginning, determination and seriousness throughout the plot, and excitement at the end! Really happy for Lana's contribution throughout the episode. Lana really deserved the Waterium Z. The Mega Gyrados joke was funny as well, and of course Lana sticks out her tongue! Ash turning into ashes, then turning into stone? I think Ash has been weird situations in all areas by now. Ash did contribute, but only a little, which was just about perfect. Fishing up a Magikarp, and then helping out Lana by fishing up Alomomola to knock it away from Brooklet Hill.

As for Popplio, it did a good job battling against the Totem Wishiwashi. Glad it was able to save Pikachu and even go as far to being determined to help out Lana in a desperate scenario. Popplio learning a new move (Aqua Jet) is a major plus for its development.

The Fishing Expert guy was hilarious in various scenes he was in, of course. All in all, excellent episode for Lana and Popplio, and huge props to Lana getting the Waterium Z and now Olivia completed modifying the Sparkling Stone into a Z-Ring for Lana. Now that she's a qualified Z-Ring owner, here's hoping for more Z-Move training between Ash, Lana, and Kiawe, for the time being! Still looking forward to watching this episode again in complete English when it gets dubbed (probably one of the last two Saturdays of September 2017).

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Who called Jessie fishing up Bewear? Whoever you are, congratulations. That was one of the funniest scenes in this episode, IMHO. Also, since when did Bewear's legs turn into propellers? I'm starting to hope that thing doesn't join Team Rocket's team, because it's a beast even among its own species!

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved seeing more of serious Lana ("Let's Get Dangerous" Lana?). She was hardly fazed by what was going on, even when she was almost dragged into the lake. She was just determined to win that "fishing battle" against the Lord of the Lake. Most of all, it was nice to see Popplio truly "get dangerous," once it was inspired by Lana's determination. It may not have evolved (a part of me was hoping it would), but it learned a new move, and that was satisfying enough for me. :) (And that Aqua Jet was something else!) Both of them truly earned that Waterium-Z, and it was kind of cute that it was the Wishiwashi whom Lana had helped who gave her the Waterium-Z.

I'm a bit surprised, though, as I sort of expected Ash, as the official Island Challenger (and the owner of the electric mouse of death), to take the lead in battling Totem Wishiwashi. However, if I understood correctly, the old man said the one who fishes up the Lord of the Lake has to be the one to battle it, which is why Ash stayed out of the battle until the Ally Alomomola interfered.

This does make me wonder if the anime is forgoing the "three Trials before the Grand Trial" requirement. Unless aiding Lana by taking out Ally Alomomola counts, then Ash didn't complete this Trial. There's a chance, however, that if he loses to Olivia (which I'm predicting he will), then he might come back to Brooklet Hill to challenge Totem Wishiwashi himself.

I'm still wondering whether the Totem Wishiwashi wasn't that strong or just PIS that Popplio totally dispersed it? Most probably the latter.
Or perhaps Popplio is stronger than we'd anticipated. It did learn a new move, Aqua Jet, and it was determined to defeat Totem Wishiwashi to help Lana. Besides, as Golden_Latias pointed out, School Form Wishiwashi is probably hollow inside, so it's not that surprising that Aqua Jet was able to cause it to disperse into Solo Form Wishiwashi.

One more thing I really liked. Ash having a Lapras rod now, that's a neat callback to the Orange Islands.
I noticed the Lapras rod, too, and that was a nice callback to the Orange Islands. And since the rod was Lana's (Ash borrowed it), it was nice to see that she owns a Lapras rod in addition to her Popplio rod, since she does have a Ride Lapras.

So, we did get a reason for Kiawe, Mallow, Lillie, and Sophocles not being at the lake--they were visiting Kiawe's farm to try dairy products. When Ash visited Kiawe's farm, he volunteered to help out after he sampled ice cream. Lillie, Mallow, and Sophocles didn't bother helping out on the farm at all, not even when Kiawe asked. (Sophocles even asked for a second serving of ice cream.) It may be looking too deeply into things, since it's clear the scene at Kiawe's farm was meant for humor and nothing more, but it's an interesting difference in the students' characters. (Though, to be fair, Lillie and Sophocles would be totally useless around the farm--Lillie because of her upbringing and lack of experience and Sophocles because of his lack of athleticism. Mallow could have helped, though.)

Last edited:

dman_dustin

The episode overall was extremely nice and amusing.

The part I didn't like was what would have to be called a "Trial" of the "Trial Challenge"

Really makes me think the writers honestly do not care about Ash, and are shoving Grand trials down our throats for the sake of it.

I mean sure, this is just this episode, but the Lurantis episode seems like an exact carbon copy only with Lurantis and Mallow (and minus the fishing obviously), and the Marowak episode which doesn't seem like a trial at all, to then be followed by a Grand Trial. So that means they're taking WAY too much creative liberty here. Again it is THIS episode so I could end up wrong but its not looking otherwise.

The thing that makes this all worse is at least Totem Gumshoes was actually a grand trial. While I don't mind shaking up trials to represent what you have to do before the totem Pokemon in the games, could the totem Pokemon be truly battles.

This was bad in the sense Ash didn't contribute at all against Wishiwashi (an ally Pokemon hardly counts) and Lana really didn't do anything and while I have no problem with Popplio using aqua jet to disperse the Wishiwashi (since we have to remember it is Wishiwashi we're talking about, its only the collective power of WishiWashi we should worry), the problem I have is that Popplio is a battle inexperienced Pokemon, and was easily knocked around by a Garbodor in the previous episode, Ash could've at least had Pikachu use thunderbolt to weaken Wishiwashi and THEN Popplio could've finished it with Aqua Jet.

It's just distressing to see the creative liberties of the show to screw Ash over by implying Ash himself will not get a water type Pokemon let alone a water type Z-crystal, that it might also imply Ash will not get the fire and grass Z-crystals, due to lack of trials for Ash to compete in (AKA fire z-crystal) as well as the focus of someone else (AKA Lana and perhaps Mallow) because his companions themselves will be getting Z-crystals instead.

Which begs the question: Why was there not a trial for Ash where he could've at least obtained the flying type Z-crystal in place of a Z-crystal.

I have no problem with Lana being the only one to receive a water type Z-crystal (as painful that it is that Ash won't get a water type Pokemon), the problem is screwing Ash over by NOT giving him a proper replacement trial for a Z-crystal they would be WILLING to give him and rushing through the supposed to be trials and forcing grand trials upon us.

So between the 26 episodes that we had to endure (from Hala's Grand Trial to Olivia), with some of the episodes only being stupid fun and not relevant. Ash will not have received any additional Z-crystals and will likely only get the rock type Z-crystal out of it.

That's what I call a bad plot translated into the anime from the games. Of a series that at least could give Ash a proper plot story they failed so hard, JUST because they want other characters to shine as well as the worse problem of being forced to advertise the games.

The creative liberties and them seemingly being forced to advertise the games is severely hurting Ash's Island trial challenge.

The only way I can be wrong mostly wrong (since this episode at least partially confirms my opinion) is if Ash somehow gets the fire type, Grass type and rock type Z-crystals these 3 episodes in a row.

If Totem Salazzle comes after Olivia then that would be rather pointless, I mean fine Ash gets fire type Z-crystal, but what....only because he can't get three z-crystals hypothetically in a row. But I guess that's what happens when you try to force a plot with creative liberties and bad pacing. The Akala island should've started MUCH, MUCH earlier, or at the very least after Ash caught Litten, the Sophocles episode after the Pallosand then the Gladion episode, then the Akala Island stuff, Lana given a Z-ring, water type Z-crystal fine, a replacement trial FOR Ash (either Lurantis or a made up flying type trial), and we should barely be touching Totem Salazzle, and still not aware of Lurantis (or Salazzle if Lurantis was Ash's replacement trial and they're going to give Ash additional time to use certain Z-crystal), that way they could pace themselves a little bit. Hell I'm fine if the trials are out of order to help pacing.

Basically they should've started this Akala Island stuff sooner, pacing the episodes (by giving Ash time to use said NEW Z-crystals at least once or twice) and we still wouldn't even be hearing about Olivia's Grand trial yet until Ash completed his three trials for Olivia.

So right now it looks like the creative liberties are screwing over the concept of the Island Challenge and ultimately screwing over Ash in the process, like I said, it better be mostly Ash from this point forward up to Olivia's Grand Trial (where he beats her, not if he loses to her) otherwise I'll be right.

So this is what I want to see upcoming: Lurantis (Ash gets grass type Z-crystal), Olivia Grand Trial (Ash loses), maybe a replacement trial for the water type Z-crystal (like Flying), followed by Totem Salazzle/Totem Fire type (Fire type z-crystal), and then a rematch with Olivia (when Ash's Rockruff evolves hopefully before and not during) and then beats Olivia for the rock type z-crystal. It's not going to happen but its the only way to save this island challenge in my perspective. As of now its more likely they'll have a bandaged island challenge which I am not happy with.

So like I said about this episode, it was fun at times, and funny at times, and a fine episode, but a huge spit on to the concept of an Island Challenge.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
The episode overall was extremely nice and amusing.

The part I didn't like was what would have to be called a "Trial" of the "Trial Challenge"

Really makes me think the writers honestly do not care about Ash, and are shoving Grand trials down our throats for the sake of it.

I mean sure, this is just this episode, but the Lurantis episode seems like an exact carbon copy only with Lurantis and Mallow (and minus the fishing obviously), and the Marowak episode which doesn't seem like a trial at all, to then be followed by a Grand Trial. So that means they're taking WAY too much creative liberty here. Again it is THIS episode so I could end up wrong but its not looking otherwise.

The thing that makes this all worse is at least Totem Gumshoes was actually a grand trial. While I don't mind shaking up trials to represent what you have to do before the totem Pokemon in the games, could the totem Pokemon be truly battles.

This was bad in the sense Ash didn't contribute at all against Wishiwashi (an ally Pokemon hardly counts) and Lana really didn't do anything and while I have no problem with Popplio using aqua jet to disperse the Wishiwashi (since we have to remember it is Wishiwashi we're talking about, its only the collective power of WishiWashi we should worry), the problem I have is that Popplio is a battle inexperienced Pokemon, and was easily knocked around by a Garbodor in the previous episode, Ash could've at least had Pikachu use thunderbolt to weaken Wishiwashi and THEN Popplio could've finished it with Aqua Jet.

It's just distressing to see the creative liberties of the show to screw Ash over by implying Ash himself will not get a water type Pokemon let alone a water type Z-crystal, that it might also imply Ash will not get the fire and grass Z-crystals, due to lack of trials for Ash to compete in (AKA fire z-crystal) as well as the focus of someone else (AKA Lana and perhaps Mallow) because his companions themselves will be getting Z-crystals instead.

Which begs the question: Why was there not a trial for Ash where he could've at least obtained the flying type Z-crystal in place of a Z-crystal.

I have no problem with Lana being the only one to receive a water type Z-crystal (as painful that it is that Ash won't get a water type Pokemon), the problem is screwing Ash over by NOT giving him a proper replacement trial for a Z-crystal they would be WILLING to give him and rushing through the supposed to be trials and forcing grand trials upon us.

So between the 26 episodes that we had to endure (from Hala's Grand Trial to Olivia), with some of the episodes only being stupid fun and not relevant. Ash will not have received any additional Z-crystals and will likely only get the rock type Z-crystal out of it.

That's what I call a bad plot translated into the anime from the games. Of a series that at least could give Ash a proper plot story they failed so hard, JUST because they want other characters to shine as well as the worse problem of being forced to advertise the games.

The creative liberties and them seemingly being forced to advertise the games is severely hurting Ash's Island trial challenge.

The only way I can be wrong mostly wrong (since this episode at least partially confirms my opinion) is if Ash somehow gets the fire type, Grass type and rock type Z-crystals these 3 episodes in a row.

If Totem Salazzle comes after Olivia then that would be rather pointless, I mean fine Ash gets fire type Z-crystal, but what....only because he can't get three z-crystals hypothetically in a row. But I guess that's what happens when you try to force a plot with creative liberties and bad pacing. The Akala island should've started MUCH, MUCH earlier, or at the very least after Ash caught Litten, the Sophocles episode after the Pallosand then the Gladion episode, then the Akala Island stuff, Lana given a Z-ring, water type Z-crystal fine, a replacement trial FOR Ash (either Lurantis or a made up flying type trial), and we should barely be touching Totem Salazzle, and still not aware of Lurantis (or Salazzle if Lurantis was Ash's replacement trial and they're going to give Ash additional time to use certain Z-crystal), that way they could pace themselves a little bit. Hell I'm fine if the trials are out of order to help pacing.

Basically they should've started this Akala Island stuff sooner, pacing the episodes (by giving Ash time to use said NEW Z-crystals at least once or twice) and we still wouldn't even be hearing about Olivia's Grand trial yet until Ash completed his three trials for Olivia.

So right now it looks like the creative liberties are screwing over the concept of the Island Challenge and ultimately screwing over Ash in the process, like I said, it better be mostly Ash from this point forward up to Olivia's Grand Trial (where he beats her, not if he loses to her) otherwise I'll be right.

So this is what I want to see upcoming: Lurantis (Ash gets grass type Z-crystal), Olivia Grand Trial (Ash loses), maybe a replacement trial for the water type Z-crystal (like Flying), followed by Totem Salazzle/Totem Fire type (Fire type z-crystal), and then a rematch with Olivia (when Ash's Rockruff evolves hopefully before and not during) and then beats Olivia for the rock type z-crystal. It's not going to happen but its the only way to save this island challenge in my perspective. As of now its more likely they'll have a bandaged island challenge which I am not happy with.

So like I said about this episode, it was fun at times, and funny at times, and a fine episode, but a huge spit on to the concept of an Island Challenge.

I think the unfortunate thing is, even after not having contributed at all in today's Totem Battle, Ash is miraculously eligible for the Grand Trial against Olivia. This highlights that the Trials and Island Challenge as a whole seem to have been relegated to a B plot, with the school and graduation most likely being the A plot. I mean, Ash and the gang aren't even on Akala due to their own free will, but rather due to a school assignment. That already tells us that that's the focus, and not the island challenge.

About the Grassium-Z though, I do think unlike the Waterium Z, Ash will actually get the Grassium-Z. Rowlet can use it, and unlike Lana, Mallow most likely won't get a Z Ring in episode 35. I do hope she can use it later on though. Also, I feel that regardless of the Olivia result, the Totems are done for Akala. I just don't see the point for Ash to challenge Totems after losing to Olivia. It's like using Totems for training purposes, and I'm sure Totems are more sacred than that. So I think if Ash loses, he'll just train the conventional way. I also suggested the possibility of the Battle Royal as a means of helping Ash train.

Overall though, I agree with everything you say about the pacing. I expressed the same issue, that episodes 22 to 30 felt like a waste, and they could've easily started the Akala arc sooner, and built it up better, instead of rushing though the Trials like they're doing right now.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Can we keep predictions for future episodes in the spoiler forum? Not everyone here follows spoilers or wishes to be spoiled. At the very least use spoiler tags or something.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Can we keep predictions for future episodes in the spoiler forum? Not everyone here follows spoilers or wishes to be spoiled. At the very least use spoiler tags or something.

That's a rather hard thing to do, considering this episode itself is a big spoiler for Western audiences only because it hasn't aired yet. It's fair game to talk about the rest of the episodes after this one since they're right next to each other.

So if you came here, that means you don't care much about spoilers at a certain degree.

Nebbygetinthebag

This episode was ok through it took to long to start the battle and the Wishiwashi was a pushover only Alomomola attacks while Wishiwashi did not even use a move to attack Popplio through I'm actually glad Lana get the Waterium Z that great for her.Overall this episode was ok it was way better than the last week episode I give it a 7/10 can't wait to see Lana using her Z move in the future.