• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Little Wishiwashi Isn't Lacking, It's the Lord of the Lake! (976)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That's a rather hard thing to do, considering this episode itself is a big spoiler for Western audiences only because it hasn't aired yet. It's fair game to talk about the rest of the episodes after this one since they're right next to each other.

So if you came here, that means you don't care much about spoilers at a certain degree.

I don't agree with this. This threat is about Episode SM 33, not about episodes SM 34+. I've seen up to 33 and I'd rather not get spoiled for future episodes. If you're only following the English dub then don't come into this thread which is about Episode 33, but stick to the threads of the episodes you've already seen. It's not that hard, and also in the forum rules.

dman_dustin

I don't agree with this. This threat is about Episode SM 33, not about episodes SM 34+. I've seen up to 33 and I'd rather not get spoiled for future episodes. If you're only following the English dub then don't come into this thread which is about Episode 33, but stick to the threads of the episodes you've already seen. It's not that hard, and also in the forum rules.

As I've discussed in other thread on similar subjects. It's very relevant, and I don't agree with strict concepts of "absolute on topic"

What I wrote in my post was related to this episode, this episode defined what we can expect or not to expect to a certain degree in regards to the future.

None of what I said was spoilers (unless titles and basic summaries which could be misleading are spoilers, misleading as in not telling us what will exactly tell us in the episode. After all an episode summary saying Ash meets up with Brock could be mostly about Ash battling Sophocles for the ownership of Tapu Koko for example), since I don't even know what the hell the episodes are about. Most of what I said was an assumption, and mostly an assumption, if I'm right, I'm right, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I can't discuss my displeasure of certain aspects I had with this episode without bringing up relevant points in relation to the Island challenge.

Because if we're doing the strict "off topic" then I can't discuss this episode except within in this thread (as I've seen some moderators say keep opinions about episodes in episode discussion threads)

So I'm kind of in a tough place if we're doing strictly/severely/doesn't matter if the topics are related no "off-topic" because then I can't talk about the island challenge as well as this episode in the same episode.

I'm against strict/severely/doesn't matter if the topics are related no off topics.

ShadowForce720

I can I just say that I can't believe I actually called the gag that happened with Bewear here. lol:)

Here is the post I mentioned it from the episode 33 speculation thread:
This is just a thought but what if the first thing that Team Rocket catches while fishing is Bewear, and that's how it shows up this episode to take them away. lol :)

While it wasn't the first thing they caught overall it was the first thing that Jessie caught. lol:)

Abzu

Honestly I liked it because it does focuss on more than just Ash and is nice to see it, plus it was nice to see Olivia to ask them if they are going in a date XD

Also Im kind of dissapointed that Popplio didn't get to evolve since it seemed the chapter was leading to that point... but oh well it will come after.

Overall I really liked this episode as shows Ash is not the only one who will develop and grow with this adventure in Alola.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Interesting. Bulbapedia seems to count this as Lana clearing the trial. This tells me we can expect... maybe not Kiawe since he already has a Firium-Z, but maybe Mallow and Sophocles to clear their respective game trials. What that means for Ash's island challenge going forward, I don't really know, but considering Ash is definitely battling Olivia in the next few episodes, it may well be she decided to count it as Ash and Lana both clearing the trial since they worked together to beat it.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ah, Bewear, you never fail to be great! Wishiswashi Solo Form is rather cute when struggling. Lana is still an adorable troll. What was that stone face? Was he complaining about not having a fishing rod? Something about the others visiting Kiawe’s ranch, I think. Olivia’s still clumsy as ever. Lana’s face is red, so I guess Olivia was probably teasing her.Brooklet Hill looks cool in the anime. The old guy couldn’t catch it, I’m guessing and that’s how he got the scar? The good thing about Pokemon is that it’s easy to understand without knowing the language.. Awww, Lana’s getting super-excited. Talk to the hand, Ash. Lana, how did you already catch that? Just casually walks up with a Feebas. Did those bite marks…fall off? Magikarp…Ash’s true weakness. Lana laughing…episode gains 10,000,000 points. School Form Wishiwashi forming was cool and sounded dangerous. Reminded me of Unown in the 3rd movie a bit. Now I see how Lana hit the baseball so far if she can reel something that big in. Old guy said something abot a battle starting. Also was dancing weird. Okay, others are definitely at the ranch. Unlike Ash, they aren’t any help on the ranch. Freeloaders. Didn’t expect the boat to get thrown onto the small island. Serious Lana is great. Also, how is School Wishiwashi holding onto the line? I think Wishiwashi’s School Form works like this: one Wishiwashi is the “Lead” Wishiwashi, all the others form around the “lead” Wishiwashi and follow its movements and signals. Once the “lead” Wishiwashi is sufficiently weakened, the others disperse, as they are faster when alone and can then escape whatever is threatening them while the “lead” Wishiwashi gets left behind to fend for itself. Alomomola is definitely helping the Totem there. Ash didn’t even really have to hit it with the Electro Ball, it was already distracted. Hey, Ash remembered Aqua Jet! When’s the last time he saw that? OK, Kalos League, but before that he hadn’t seen it since BW. I suppose Popplio just broke them apart on its own, this time. The little one that Lana helped gave her the Z-crystal, as expected. Trolls the others as soon as they see them again. Perfect. One of my favorite episodes so far.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

I'm still wondering whether the Totem Wishiwashi wasn't that strong or just PIS that Popplio totally dispersed it? Most probably the latter.

Pikachu could've honestly roasted it with its Electric attacks, but plot Armor meant it attempted nothing. Anyway what was Alomomola's connection to Totem Wishiwashi (which Pikachu fended of)?

What does PIS mean?

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
What does PIS mean?
Plot-Induced-Stupidity. Basically greninja is salty that Ash's Pikachu didn't beat the Totem Wishiwashi but instead Lana's Popplio did so he's claiming PIS to try and reconcile that fact to himself.

dman_dustin

Plot-Induced-Stupidity. Basically greninja is salty that Ash's Pikachu didn't beat the Totem Wishiwashi but instead Lana's Popplio did so he's claiming PIS to try and reconcile that fact to himself.

To be fair I mostly agree with 345ash-greninja on the subject as in, I agree that Popplio shouldn't have just launched 2 bubblebeams and then finish Wishiwashi school form....Totem Wishiwashi school form with an aqua jet.

But I don't agree that Popplio could NOT disperse Wishwashi (school form) in general with aqua jet. It's just that Wishiwashi should've taken FAR more damage before Popplio dispersed it, that yes Wishiwashi being hit with Pikachu's thunderbolt, and then Popplio using aqua jet would've made more sense to me.

The reason I mostly agree is because Popplio is very inexperienced when it comes to battle, therefore I have hard time believing that it could even do any real damage to Totem Wishiwashi enough to disperse the Wishiwashi after only 3 hits. It makes the pacing of the series bad when the pacing of an episode comes off as equally as bad. Although I cannot quite say for certain if Pikachu dealing damage to Wishiwashi (school form) would've been enough to save the episode, maybe, but it would rely on it actually happening.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Ay I was right lol. Told you guys this wouldn't be Ash's trial episode.

I'm happy that the sole focus was on Lana, she actually worked her butt off and earned the Waterium Z herself. And on top of that, Popplio battled and finally learned a new move :).

Oh and she also bonded with Wishiwashi so this could set up her assention to trial captain down the line.

Uh, no? Considering the episode titles, we definitely know that Olivia is counting this as Ash's Trial.. That only points out how badly SM is turning out. All Ash did in this equivalent to a gym battle was a single Electro Ball to a minor pokémon. Sure, go ahead and call me a SM-basher, but would anybody be okay at this stage of the series if Ash only took down i.e. Maylene's Machoke and then Dawn came in and beat Meditite and Lucario, and Ash would still be allowed to enter the Sinnoh League? That would be a RIDICULOUS thought nobody would dare to disagree with. Yet here we are, and Trials are quite clearly not refined or rigid or anything like what they are in the games. Sure, there's a totem that you as the player need to defeat, but Ash didn't defeat the totem, Lana did. Yet, Ash is getting the privileges as if he did beat the totem. It's ridiculous and it's bad. It's not taking Ash seriously.

As I've discussed in other thread on similar subjects. It's very relevant, and I don't agree with strict concepts of "absolute on topic"

What I wrote in my post was related to this episode, this episode defined what we can expect or not to expect to a certain degree in regards to the future.

None of what I said was spoilers (unless titles and basic summaries which could be misleading are spoilers, misleading as in not telling us what will exactly tell us in the episode. After all an episode summary saying Ash meets up with Brock could be mostly about Ash battling Sophocles for the ownership of Tapu Koko for example), since I don't even know what the hell the episodes are about. Most of what I said was an assumption, and mostly an assumption, if I'm right, I'm right, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I can't discuss my displeasure of certain aspects I had with this episode without bringing up relevant points in relation to the Island challenge.

Because if we're doing the strict "off topic" then I can't discuss this episode except within in this thread (as I've seen some moderators say keep opinions about episodes in episode discussion threads)

So I'm kind of in a tough place if we're doing strictly/severely/doesn't matter if the topics are related no "off-topic" because then I can't talk about the island challenge as well as this episode in the same episode.

I'm against strict/severely/doesn't matter if the topics are related no off topics.

Dude, rules are rules. Episode titles are one thing (they're posted on the main page, so you don't need to enter the spoilers forum), but blurbs and summaries are mostly stuck in the spoilers forum for a reason. You can just keep opinions that have anything to do with upcoming episodes to yourself until those episodes have aired. It's not hard. People can tune in to the Japanese episodes without joining into the discussion on the AP-threads, so you are actively spoiling in a none-spoiler thread.

This is coming from someone that got flagged because he mentioned Infernape's evolution prior to the episode airing in a similar thread to this one.. Even though the episode title posted on the main page clearly stated: "Blast Evolution, Infernape blablabla".. It was obviously me that spoiled an evolution.. >.>

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Ashimari finished off Yowashi and deactivated Schooling with Aqua Jet, the episode had way more stakes laying on Suiren and Satoshi definitely could not have held on during the Fishing Battle like Suiren did, he and all the classmates sucked at fishing in Alola water in Ashimari's first episode, it's silly to expect him to keep a Totem Pokemon under control.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Just because he didn't get Waterium Z, doesn't mean he won't get a Water type Pokemon. Because with that logic, Ash should have gotten Litten as well, since Kiawe already has a Fire type and Firium Z.

I am not saying that he would definitely get a Water type, but the chances are still there even though Lana has a Waterium Z.

The difference here is that Ash can still go to the Fire trial and get the Firium Z. Ash has now passed the Water trial and does not have the Waterium Z. Granted, it's not too safe to assume that he won't get a water type now, more like speculation.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Uh, no? Considering the episode titles, we definitely know that Olivia is counting this as Ash's Trial.. That only points out how badly SM is turning out. All Ash did in this equivalent to a gym battle was a single Electro Ball to a minor pokémon. Sure, go ahead and call me a SM-basher, but would anybody be okay at this stage of the series if Ash only took down i.e. Maylene's Machoke and then Dawn came in and beat Meditite and Lucario, and Ash would still be allowed to enter the Sinnoh League? That would be a RIDICULOUS thought nobody would dare to disagree with. Yet here we are, and Trials are quite clearly not refined or rigid or anything like what they are in the games. Sure, there's a totem that you as the player need to defeat, but Ash didn't defeat the totem, Lana did. Yet, Ash is getting the privileges as if he did beat the totem. It's ridiculous and it's bad. It's not taking Ash seriously.

I think sadly this battle just proved that Ash isn't really a full Island Challenger. It look like the Trials have been relegated in favor of the school plot, and graduating is Ash's main goal now, not doing the Island Challenge. He isn't even in Akala on his own terms to challenge the Trials, but rather due to the School activity.

So it's clear the writers don't consider these Trials important enough that they just rush three (or two) Trials back to back, with Ash hardly doing much, and somehow that is enough to challenge the Grand Trial.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Actually, graduating always was Ash's main goal in the series. In the second episode where he learns about the trials and the Challenge he was already studying in the School. The first poster itself talked about graduating, not about travelling the islands and doing trials.
The trials in the anime only exist in order to approach it to the games and show some way of progression. We isn't longer talking about a League where the main purpose of the journey was getting all the badges.
About the upcoming episodes, if the theories about the picture of Rowlet using Bloom Doom be confirmed, I think Ash will get a Grassium Z and unfoturnately Mallow would be even more left aside.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
What a nice episode! Not only did Lady Lana get a Water Z Crystal but also, the TRio didn't interrupt nor be the conflict of this episode this time. I actually thought that they would but it was actually the Alomomola. Lana's jokes are pretty funny and always fool her friends. I also like that Ash didn't steal her spotlight and was on the sideline and wasn't shown as invincible. So cool that Popplio learned Aqua Jet (and Ash remembered it, it gave me a straight flashback of his Buizel in Sinnoh!) I really enjoyed the episode, Lana did not give up and Popplio stood up to the scary School Form Wishiwashi.

Spyro39

Good to see Lana and Popplio got a lot focus in this episode :), but disappointed that Ash and Pikachu took a major backseat in what we thought was his trial. :(

I can I just say that I can't believe I actually called the gag that happened with Bewear here. lol:)

Here is the post I mentioned it from the episode 33 speculation thread:

While it wasn't the first thing they caught overall it was the first thing that Jessie caught. lol:)

Nice one lol, you were spot on about the Bewear prediction. :)

Janovy

Banned
Great Lana episode.

Popplio gained battle experience, learned a new move and Lana earned a Waterium-Z. Brilliant.

Then explain over half of Ash's Kanto badges. If making someone laugh is enough to get you a badge, but helping to defeat a Totem by eliminating its ally isn't enough to win a trial, then people need to shift their priorities.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Then explain over half of Ash's Kanto badges. If making someone laugh is enough to get you a badge, but helping to defeat a Totem by eliminating its ally isn't enough to win a trial, then people need to shift their priorities.

Well everyone here acknowledges the fact that half of Ash's Kanto gym badges were rubbish and Pity Badges. But using that to justify this battle isn't right. These are Ash's Trials, so by right he should be beating the Totem, if not at least have a bigger role, then what he was given this episode. I'm sure him having a bigger part wouldn't have undermined Lana's development in this episode.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I'm sure him having a bigger part wouldn't have undermined Lana's development in this episode.

I hate how this is happening, but I have to disagree, now that I really think about it.

IF Ash was NOT going to get the water type Z-crystal, but indeed JUST Lana then I'm perfectly fine with what happened Ash not battling Wishiwashi (especially if translations of the episode are accurate when it was Lana who earned the right to battle Wishiwashi). What I am not fine with, is that it seems unlikely Ash is going to get an alternative trial (AKA a different Totem Pokemon from the games or at least a different Z-crystal from the games), it's not absolutely confirmed Ash won't get an alternative trial I just have SERIOUS doubts, and it'll be too little too late if it does end up popping up.