• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Live action Smufs? Live Action Yogi Bear? Is nothing sacred?

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Hollywood is coming out with new, live action Yogi Bear and Smurf movies this Holiday season; and in my opinion this decision is a real tragedy.
When I was young, I loved Yogi, The Smurfs, and many other shows that are now on Boomerang (I as born at just the right time to see those shows before they were pushed off Cartoon Network but weren't the only shows on it anymore either), and seeing Hollywood dig up these shows and make unnecessary movies out of them just brings tears to my eyes. Those shows were great and funny, but they had their run; we should just let them be and stick to watching reruns. They weren't made for our generation, their type of humor was much more simple and wholesome than the crap this new generation defines as comedy.
What do you think, should Hollywood really keep digging up the graves of these beloved old cartoons, or should they leave these precious memories alone? Seriously, is nothing sacred anymore?

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Although I hate to admit it, I agree with you 100%. There are things that are okay to bring back up, i.e. the new Winnie The Pooh movie (I am only saying this because it uses the ORIGINAL animation style and it sounds a hella lot like the original stuff. ) it looks amazing, but the Yogi Bear movie looks horrible. And to think we could have had a good Yogi Bear movie if they just sticked to what the show did.

Penguinist Trainer

Yeah I really don't see any appeal to the yogi bear or smurfs movie. the worst part about these movies being made is i don't even think kids these days are even going to be familiar with them.

im an adult, and i love to watch cartoons, but when there are 800+ channels out there, even I have trouble finding anything good to watch. the only cartoons i really see nowadays are just crap.

what are we in for next, a top cat movie, huckleberry hound, the snorks, el-kabong?

there are so many cartoons i watched as a kid, and i dont think any moviemaker is going to be able to do them justice. and frankly, i cant imagine any kid really being interested in them. in fact, i think most of the child audience will only be going because their parents who grew up with the cartoons will be bringing them to it.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
OMG...the Smurf movie is live action? I thought it was at least CG like or like Shrek. Now it sounds awful!

Exactly, that's one of the biggest problems I have with these movies, they are based on shows that were never meant to be live action. They were great and funny shows in their day; more specifically, they were very great and funny cartoons.

Also, as Penguinist Trainer said, these movies are based on series that today's youth are too young to remember. This new generation doesn't remember just how great those shows were and only know of them due to Boomerang commercials and parodies; they won't see the point in these films and probably won't bother to see them unless their parents are going anyway. Even then, if I'm ashamed of Hollywood for desecrating these beloved old cartoons, imagine the kind of objections they're going to be getting from those who were old enough to have seen these shows when they were NEW.

aggronFTW

Heh, they're making a fairly odd parents live action movie as well. Yogi bear has Dan Dorian (don't know his real name) in it as the park ranger!

Dattebayo

Banned
I thought the Yogi Bear movie was going to be a CG-animated movie until I saw the commercial. I'm surprised that no one is complaining on how Hollywood is going downhill for not making pure original films and only make movies based on TV shows, books, comics, and anime.

Heh, they're making a fairly odd parents live action movie as well.

You see, the difference there is that, unlike Yogi Bear and the Smurfs, the Fairly Oddparents is a modern cartoon. Kids these days are well familiar with The Fairly Oddparents because it hasn't even been around for one decade yet, whereas the shows Yogi Bear and The Smurfs are probably in their 50s by now (I don't know exactly, please tell me if I miscalculated).

I do see why Hollywood has been so crappy in recent years, there aren't very many original ideas left. In the last decade, most of the films Hollywood has made and widely advertised have been sequels, remakes (Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Clash of the Titans, etc.), and films based off books (Twilight, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.). It may seem like they have lost their creativity, but you do kind of need to ask yourself just how many original plots are left that haven't been done already?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I don't mind remakes as long as they're done right. Hollywood has always thrived on adaptions even back then. There's really not too much of a difference to me really. I say just let them make these films and let them bomb so they can see that they have a lot to lose if they go for directions that don't make a lick of sense.

Dattebayo

Banned
I do see why Hollywood has been so crappy in recent years, there aren't very many original ideas left. In the last decade, most of the films Hollywood has made and widely advertised have been sequels, remakes (Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Clash of the Titans, etc.), and films based off books (Twilight, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.). It may seem like they have lost their creativity, but you do kind of need to ask yourself just how many original plots are left that haven't been done already?

But originality is rare in Hollywood because they sometimes either tend to flop in the box office or receive criticism (Ex: 9 and Avatar).

Vernikova

Champion
I have no real connection with any of these two shows so I don't really care whether or not they were turned into live action movies or not. I agree that they would've looked better in CGI but it's not as though you have to watch these movies. If you think they are ruining your favorite show then you simply don't need to watch them and continue watching these shows in their animated form.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Yeah... when I saw the Smurfs trailer, I immediately thought of the whole Happy Happy Cult from Earthbound with things turning blue and whatnot...

Now, if they get their hands on Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders...

^Man, now I wish I knew what you were referencing there so I could understand the joke.

You know, even though I hate the idea of them making these movies, I have to say the commercials for the Yogi Bear movie have moved me somewhat, but not in the way the producers would have hoped... They really make me want to go camping. It may not be the message they were going for, but it did send a message.

Profesco

gone gently

No no no, Smurfs are much smaller!

Anywho, I'm a little bit interested in this Yogi Bear movie.

As far as Hollywood's trend of revamping all our old toons into cgi and live-action movies... I'm not really distressed by it. Maybe cartoons of old would make us feel better if they were renewed as cartoons, but maybe not. Outside of anime, hand-drawn animation has been largely dead for a while, anyway. I think it's kind of neat to see the old cartoons in a new form, a more modern form. And even if the movies stink, it's not going to ruin the cartoons themselves (or, for that matter, my life, which is what all this rage and whining makes it seem like).

Edit: Also, I can't help but chuckle every time I read "Live action Smufs." That is a hilarious typo.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat torn on the entire thing.
Many of my favorite shows from my childhood are being remade/were remade to appeal to a new generation, mainly due to their popularity back then. Some brilliant big-wig thought "Hey, instead of something new, let's just blow the dust off something old and shove it at some kids who have never heard of it before!" Then the parents/older siblings who watched the originals will begin to nostalgia over it, and go along with the kids to watch it, and so on. The idea is to bring back older viewers, and bring in new ones at the same time.

However, as many can tell...it doesn't always work out. One example that comes to mind is Thomas the Tank Engine. There's something thrilling about a tv show where everything is done using toys and somewhat frame-by-frame animation, knowing all the time and hilarity that could have ensued, no matter how hilariously bad the plot was. I recently found out it was remade using all 3D and took the Sonic the Hedgehog route of introducing a billion new characters who have no personality...not that Thomas and his bro's had any in the first place, but I digress.

It seems that Hollywood is definitely succeeding in bringing in new fans (mainly younger kids who have no idea what the older versions of the shows/comics are), but it seems to be angering some of the older fans.

Let's not forget the actual TV shows that are being redone, like the A-Team. Is that Knight Rider movie still in the works, by the way? I heard about that and my heart sank. x: I loved that show.

I won't even bring up Transformers. Don't worry. I'm done complaining about that...for now. :V

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
But originality is rare in Hollywood because they sometimes either tend to flop in the box office or receive criticism (Ex: 9 and Avatar).

Avatar original! Ha don't make me laugh. Avatar was nothing more than a rehash of Ferngully and Pocahontas and beside Avatar deserve the criticism since the movie plot was so boring and predictable and really the only good about it was the 3-D effect which really hold a whole movie on its own.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
uuuugh i hate those new remakes of good old stuffs. Hollywood does that SO FREAKING MUCH

Dattebayo

Banned
Avatar original! Ha don't make me laugh. Avatar was nothing more than a rehash of Ferngully and Pocahontas and beside Avatar deserve the criticism since the movie plot was so boring and predictable and really the only good about it was the 3-D effect which really hold a whole movie on its own.

How many times do I have to tell you, I meant originality as in not being based on a book/comic/TV show/toy line/anime nor a sequel/remake of an older film. Avatar is one of the few movies that isn't based off of anything, and that's the one of the few things you should praise it for.