• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Long or Short Prolouge

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
I've working on a Fan Fiction and I'm having a bit of a conflict. Should I write long detail Prolouge or a short and to the point one? So far I'm writing both a short version and a long version.

The long version is very detailed and explain much of the history of the story. But it might scare people away I know some people see a large prolouge and say "I'm not reading all that" unless it someone they know is a good writer.

The shorter version is simple and to the point but it doesn't tell much of the story it just an introduction of the story. Though some people would read it because it shorter they wouldn't understand much of the history. Which in some cases is a good thing...

Can I please get some of you fic writer's opinion on this matter? It would really help make a decision of which version of my prolouge I should use.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Well, in my story, I did a short prologue. It had some criticism because of the lack of detail. I would say go for a longer prologue so that at least the readers will be hook on the story and will know pretty much what the story will be about. If you do a short prolouge, some people will not be totally sure what the fanfiction will be about. You want to have the reader at least know what the subject of the story will be about so that they will not be confuse later in the story.

Silentvibrava

Techno Teen
I would say to get to know you targeted audience first. See if they value description or suspension more, or make a new one that has both of them.

Astinus

My prologue is half the length of a normal chapter of mine. Mine includes part of the history of the world, it introduces a main character, and sets up the main conflict. I put in smal pieces of information of the culture of the world, but not too much description of the characters, as they would be better introduced in the main part of the fic.

In all honesty, it depends on your readers, and it depends on what you like. If you study the area you are writing in, and see what gets read and what doesn't, then learn what those favorite authors do, and use it well. Or you could test out your story on people around you, unless you don't have as many willing people lined up to read your fic as I do.

The main advice I can give you? Your prologue is fine as long as it entices people to keep reading.

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it really I will use it when choosing between my two prolouges.