• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Longest-running fic?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
What's the longest-running still being updated fic in Pokemon fandom? Because I suspect it may be my Obsession, which is over ten years on, but I'm not certain on it.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
According to my research, the longest-running, still-being-updated 'fic on FFN is The Dark Side of Innocence, which is going on eleven years. Evolution had a longer run, clocking in at over eleven years, but it's complete after the update in March. Also, Pokémon Rebirth is now over eleven years old, although I'm not sure whether it was all written by the same person and I'm not sure if you're counting collaborative 'fics. Those are the longest I'm aware of, but FFN is the only archive of which I've ever taken a serious survey.

Dragonfree

Just me
On this very forum, Chibi Pika is still writing The Legendarian Chronicles, started December 14th 2001 and is thus only a couple of weeks off being eleven years old, although that's over multiple revisions that each started over, so I don't know if it's what you were thinking of. (Similarly, my own Quest for the Legends was started in June 2002, so it's ten and a half years old, but the actual still-ongoing version wasn't started until April 2004.)

But yeah, Negrek's ridiculously detailed analysis has the most likely candidates down, though there may be others lurking on some forums or obscure websites.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Hmm. Negrek, I should tell you that Obsession is older than that, as it was started in 2001 (I wrote the first two chapters on index cards while working at a video store, which is why they honestly kinda suck), but I didn't post it here until later. Heck, it was a bit before I posted it on Bulbagarden, which was before I did so here. And it isn't on ffnet at all.

But yes, it does look like there are certainly fics older than it. That's some incredible list! That longest fic list is amazing!

IceKing

Sexorific!
10 plus years?? That's like huge chunks of people's lives. Wow. But kudos to all of those guys for sticking to it and persevering.

I'm kind of surprised that people can maintain interest in writing about pokemon for that long. I kind of stopped being interested after I went to college, although I still think about some of the stories I wanted to write and finish sometimes, but for me, I'm just not sure if it's worth putting all that effort into something I can't really share with a larger audience. I just came back to the forum to finish posting a story that I had almost finished because I was feeling nostalgic. I didn't expect to see so many people here when I first joined 8 years ago still to be around and active and working on their stories. A lot of the big name stories that were a huge deal in 2004 on this forum are still big deals today. It's so fascinating to me.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I'm kind of surprised that people can maintain interest in writing about pokemon for that long.

Agreed so hard. The people who can stick with stories for over ten years are the ones who need a round of applause. I mean, I couldn't look at the stuff I did back in 2002 because it was so cringe-worthy and because I deemed it so unsalvageable that I pretty much abandoned it, so I've got some seriously intense respect for anyone who's been looking back at their stuff from 2001 (over the past ten years) and going, "No, actually, I can edit this."

(I may or may not be referring to Dragonfree specifically here. Because I've read Molzapart and Rainteicune and version 1.0 of Quest for the Legends. Perhaps more than once. Every story needs to have the phrase "UNTIL THAT DAY" capslocked somewhere along the way. Just saying.)

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, I've written over 3 million words in the span of five or four years or so for my biggest fic ever. It's not very Pokemon-centric since it's Smash Bros., but my OC is always seen with his Lucario (the previous Lucario quit because he missed Riley, which I made him be Riley's Lucario).

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
I was all ready to prance in here like "hai guyz, I've been writing my fic for eleven years arent I the coolest kid evar? 8D" but Dragonfree beat me to it. Curses!
I'm kind of surprised that people can maintain interest in writing about pokemon for that long.
I'm surprised too. .__. I think the only explanation I can give is that this story has become so deeply ingrained into my mind that to not write it almost seems like cutting out a chunk of my brain and throwing it out.
Agreed so hard. The people who can stick with stories for over ten years are the ones who need a round of applause. I mean, I couldn't look at the stuff I did back in 2002 because it was so cringe-worthy and because I deemed it so unsalvageable that I pretty much abandoned it, so I've got some seriously intense respect for anyone who's been looking back at their stuff from 2001 (over the past ten years) and going, "No, actually, I can edit this."
Oh believe me, if my story had anything in common with what it started out as, I probably wouldn't still be writing it. xD That's why I love that Dragonfree's tQftL actually still has the same concept as is started out with, just improved a hundredfold. I don't think I've ever gone, "I can edit this" so much as "Ogod this makes no sense I need to start over." xP

~Chibi~;249;;448;