• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Looking for a decent gaming PC

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Alright, to start off cause I know even after I say it someone will still probably recommend it. I realize building a PC yourself is cheaper, it's basically always the answer people get when they ask about computers. I know it already but that's not what I'm asking. For me I don't want to build one yet, I'm not comfortable doing it so I'd rather just buy it pre-built.

So I've been looking for about two weeks(off and on) on Newegg.com. Looking at a max budget of $1k, I'm currently using a laptop which is decent enough to play Minecraft, and Terraria(Garry's Mod as well). However I'm wanting to get a PC that's decent enough to play last gens games and next gen games if possible(Medium settings is fine with me if it's a stable 30fps).

I found one PC that looks decent enough for what I'm wanting.
What are your thoughts, is this a decent PC? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230007

I was also wondering if this PC is decent enough to play recent games like GTA V, and The Witcher III.
I did some research on both the processor and graphics and found that GTA V can be played decently but The Witcher III can be run possibly on medium settings.

Besides those two here's a list of games I would like to get
(Bold= I'm definitely wanting)

• Fallout New Vegas
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Far Cry 3
  • Far Cry 4(if possible)
  • Batman series
  • Final Fantasy series

As well I'd like to get 60-100fps on Minecraft all max settings. I play this game way to much...

I'd like to pick this up(if it is good) before it returns to it's regular pricing, but even so it's still within my price range. Unless there's a PC that's better around the same price.

Last edited:

00swms

Chaos Theory
Hello, Zyon

I'm happy you've taken time to state this, "I realize building a PC yourself is cheaper, it's basically always the answer people get when they ask about computers. I know it already but that's not what I'm asking. For me I don't want to build one yet, I'm not comfortable doing it so I'd rather just buy it pre-built." one thing annoy about some of the pc gaming community will bash on you for going pre-built system. I've always found that pretty ridiculous for someone to do that to other. Because what many of them fail to relive how time consume it is to build a computer, if you’re building it yourself and issues arise you’ll have test out parts finding the issue, and at least if the system is built from a reputable company it’s much easier just send them computer find the issue/fix it. I can't really tell you accurately the performance you'll get out of those parts, but for something that pre-built me thing that's great deal for that system. By looks of the decent CPU & GPU so on most games you’ll get playable framerates. Also I believe you should be able to play those and get 100+ fps on Minecraft for the most part. One thing about Skyrim you’ll easily be able to play that game on time that should ever change really when you start adding on those

Here goes my own gaming pc specs: The Phoenix
Also that computer you’ve chosen should outperform the one I built or at least play similar to mine. I know for fact I get 100+ fps while I’m playing that game.

-00swms

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Thanks for the reply 00swms,
Having an issue with a part(s) is something I wouldn't want to run into, it's one of reasons why I'm not comfortable building my own PC just yet. Many of them would point out that there's tutorials on youtube, and places you can actually take them too and have someone else build it for you. While both can be helpful there's problems that can still happen. I would want to learn more about computer's before I even attempt at building my own PC.

Shortly after posting here and on another website I found various posts and videos on the PC. Showing off some of the games I'm looking forward to play having good or decent fps while on high settings. Playing Minecraft will be great especially if I'll get 100fps+(like I said, I play this way to much already...). I mainly started looking for a PC after the kickstarter for Little Devil Inside. It's recommended requirements are the same as Project Cars minimum requirements, and seeing how that game isn't making it's way to the Wii U(because of it's hardware) it's got me just a tad nervous. I don't want to miss out on that game, as well as other games I listed in my first post because I mainly have just a Wii U and 3DS.(Not to mention I also got on Yooka-Laylee's kickstarter as well).

Last edited:

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Just an update! Putting it in a Spoiler cause it's long.

Shortly after posting here I did a little more research on the computer I listed above. I eventually went ahead and bought it because the games I was wanting could be played in High-Ultra settings with decent fps. About a week after ordering it, it arrived...just not at my house but my neighbors house next door. Thankfully my sister was home and noticed them dropping it off, she texted my Mom and during her break she came by and picked it up before my neighbors found it. Thanks UPS, that's the third time they've left something my family has ordered at the house next to us.

Anyways, set up was easy I hooked everything up but forgot to order a USB Wi-Fi adapter cause the desktop didn't have it built it. So for about five days it just sat in my room cause basically I couldn't do anything with it. As soon as that arrived I got Steam downloaded just in time to start the Summer Sale. First game I got was XCOM: Enemy Unknown, it was a game I really wanted to play but didn't have a PC or console that could play it(Nintendo exclusive). I got a couple indie games Project Zomboid, and Grow Home then finally a week into the Summer Sale Skyrim was put on Daily Deals. I grabbed the Legendary Edition of course and began downloading it, and played nearly 8 hours on my first day.

I had downloaded Minecraft too, and I noticed something strange when I pressed F3. For the graphics card it was showing Intel HD 4600, I thought "That's not the graphics card I have". I figured out that my PC had both Intel HD 4600, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 graphics card. The Intel HD was limited my performance while playing my games, which would explain the Low-Med settings the games were being set to instead of High-Ultra like they should be. I found this out the other day.

I first looked up a way to switch between Intel to NVIDIA graphics and most said to use the NVIDIA control panel. So I found it and clicked on it but it wouldn't open, said something about it not being able to display settings, and that it wasn't attached to the GPU. I then tried looking for solutions on how to open it, many were saying to uninstall the GeForce driver and reinstall it. I tried that but still wouldn't open, then I found some people saying to uninstall and reinstall both Intel and the GeForce driver in safe mode, etc, etc.

I was going to do this tonight in the hopes that I could open the control panel and switch which graphics card my computer uses. It was confusing me cause I was never able to open the control panel, my computer was recognizing that I have the GeForce graphics but instead it was only use the Intel HD. I had to go to work which is why I was going to wait until tonight to do this. I talked with a guy at work that has basic knowledge on computer's, and explained to him the problem. He didn't quite understand the reason why it wouldn't open, so he thought that there might be a problem with the graphics card it's self. He told me I should do something the BIOS when I first boot up my PC, but I had no idea what he was even talking about as I never saw anything like before while turning it on(There's a reason for that).

However, during my break I looked up the info again on how to do it just to be sure. The info was a year old and I noticed there were more posts so I continued to read them. It was the last post that caught my attention, the person commented saying they figured out that they had to buy a VGA to DVI-I adapter because of their monitor and it worked perfectly. When I got home I looked up what a VGA to DVI-I adapter looked like and turns out my Monitor came with an adapter. I went ahead and looked over my Desktop to see how to use it properly. It wasn't until I looked further down and found the right plug in that matched the adapter. I plugged it in with the VGA cord and hooked that up to my monitor and tested it out. It showed something different and sure enough the BIOS thing appears then it showed the usual Lock Screen.

I had high hopes that this was my problem. The first thing I tried was Minecraft, I pressed F3 and sure enough I see it say GeForce GTX 960. Then I notice my FPS was over 600(I was underground so of course fps is much higher), I went above ground and saw the fps was around 150-250. I was very excited to see that compared to the 30-80 fps I was getting with the Intel HD. I guess I was pretty loud cause my sister came walking in, I explained to her everything and why I was so excited. I started up other games and they detected my computer to do the settings and both Skyrim and XCOM: Enemy Unknown were set to Ultra-High Quality. I was nerding all over seeing how well the games were playing. My sister had a strange look on her face because I was very excited to see my computer working properly.

So it's all working properly now but I feel like an idiot for hooking up my monitor the wrong way. It came with two cords and the adapter but I thought all I had to do was use the two cords. I'm glad the fix was as simple as that verses something actually being wrong with my graphics card instead. If it was the latter I would have been devastated. Now I can't wait for Fallout 4, it looks AMAZING!!!

Last edited: