1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Looks Like Pokémon Adventures Has Another Name Mixup...

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by blob, May 10, 2018.

1. blob

blob Well-Known Member

With the start of Sun and Moon Adventures mini volumes being translated, they re-named En the Litten/Torracat, Dollar and re-named Dollar the Meowth, Cent. I wonder why they didn't just name Mowth Yen, unless that's what Baht or Franc are going to be called? Makes some sense, since Baht isn't a well know currency and Franc is a disused currency from the country it's named after.

Anyway, who can tell what's going to happen to the rest of Sun's Pokémon or if they're all going to be have American/general currency-esque names, like Buck and Moolah.

2. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara PoKé TrEk

I'm expecting Nickel and Dime.

Is Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Bandit Keith translating these? Because these translations sure are America-centric...In America!

3. blob

blob Well-Known Member

It's a shame, because I liked the use of different currencies, outside of Franc being used.

4. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

How about we avoid jumping to conclusions based on two names out of a possible maximum of six, OK?

As Maxim explained here, where this info was first reported in this section, En was changed to Dollar because yen are translated as dollars in most official English sources. VIZ certainly changes yen to dollars, so it's a consistent change.

Dollar was changed to Cent to fit with the name pun. In Japan, he's "Dollar" because he's always slow and sluggish (dara~dara~) out of battle. In English, he's Cent because outside of battle, he's so lazy he's nearly worthless. A single penny is worthless; you can't buy anything with those.

5. POKEMONMASTER260

POKEMONMASTER260 Team Master Leader

Anyone notice that it's also not called Pokemon Adventures: Sun and Moon, nor Pokemon Special: Sun and Moon? It's just Pokemon: Sun and Moon.

It looks like they did some rebranding. I guess it's just, "Pokemon The Comic," in America now...

6. lolipiece

They've been doing that since BW. It's just to show that it's based on the mini-volume format (as in, straight from the magazines). The full proper volumes always have "Adventures" in the title.

7. Moni_22

Moni_22 Well-Known Member

That's true but as someone pointed out, Sun would never throw away a penny, he treasures money, no matter the ammount. So him saying that to justify the name seems a little ooc

blob likes this.
  8. blob

blob Well-Known Member

Plus renaming it to a different non-American based currency would make more sense, as foreign currency is usually worthless outside of the country it comes from.

Moni_22 likes this.
  9. Zipper4242

Zipper4242 Still salty from XYZ

Didn't they call it "Pokemon Adventures Special Edition: BW" or something along those lines, where it mentions that it's PokeSpe? It doesn't really matter but I'm curious :)

10. lolipiece

Yes, on the back covers.

11. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani Clearly we're great!

Well it IS based on part of America.

Though I'd still prefer there be the Pokémon currency. It'd get an official name for once.