• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lost Horizon: Guild Chat

NPC

sleep researcher
This is the OOC thread for Lost Horizon, the RPG for which sign-ups are located here. I'll explain some basic concepts and guidelines in this thread. You can also use this thread to chat about the goings-on in the RPG, ask questions, propose ideas, etc.

General RPG Guidelines
  • All SPPf and RPG Forum rules apply.
  • If you don't post in the RPG, I will pester you until you do. If you need to take a break from the RPG for a while, that can be arranged; just let me know ahead of time. If you need to permanently leave the RPG, that can also be arranged, but I may not be able to let you re-join.
  • I don't need extremely long, verbose posts every single time you post. If I've accepted you into the RPG it's because I already trust you to be a good player. This is not me discouraging you from writing; rather, I'm reassuring you that you don't need to feel intimidated just because your next queued post isn't especially long. Not everything needs to be novel-length.
  • Due to the end-of-year rush, the RPG proper will probably begin between Christmas and New Years. Please have your sign-ups ready well before then.
Combat Guidelines

There won't be any hard stats or rigid systems in place for this RPG; it will all be prose-based forum-posting as usual. However, there are some basic guidelines I'd like you to keep in mind when it comes to combat:
  • If your character has already attacked or otherwise acted, you should generally wait for the enemy to respond before acting again.
  • If you want fights to go in your favor: come prepared, cooperate with allies, use terrain to your advantage, and exploit enemy weaknesses.
  • Not every enemy can be defeated. Fleeing is always an option. If any enemy seems too powerful to face right now, they probably are.
  • I will never kill your character for no reason. However, if your character persistently makes risky decisions even after being warned, they may be killed. Death in this game is just a temporary setback, anyway.
Character Sheet & Basic Concepts

Your character sheet is a simple description of your character's essential data, including their items and equipment. You will need to post it at the beginning of the RPG, and update it every time something about your character (such as their level or equipment) changes. You can also post it in this thread, if you have any doubts.

As the DM, throughout the RPG I will hand out rewards and opportunities for new gear to players, but I won't keep track of your items or equipment. It's each player's responsibility to do that.

The template:

[Real Name] / [Character Name] LVL [X]
[Race] [Weapon Type]
[Guild]
Equipment:
Wpn: Equipped Weapon
Acc1: Accessory 1
Acc2: Accessory 2
Equipped Arrow Types: This section is only for Bow users. Omit it otherwise.
Equipped Spells: This section is only for Staff users. Omit it otherwise.
Inventory:
1. Item 1
2. Item 2
3. Item 3
4. Item 4
5. Item 5

Some examples:

Jen Greenburg / Maria LVL 1
Beastkin Sword and Shield
Gullwing Guild
Equipment:

Wpn: Shortsword
Shd: Buckler Shield
Acc1: Leather Set
Acc2: Iron Helm
Inventory:
1. Potion
2. Potion
3. Torch
4. N/A
5. N/A

Emilio Mariani / Benson22 LVL 1
Human Bow
No Guild
Equipment:

Wpn: Composite Shortbow
Acc1: Hunter's Clothes
Acc 2: N/A
Arrow Types:
1. Standard Arrows xUnlimited
2. Poison Arrows x3
3. N/A
Inventory:
1. Potion
2. Antidote
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A
6. N/A
7. N/A
8. N/A

Catelyn Smith / Cassia LVL 1
Liliput Staff
Black Wyverns Guild
Equipment:

Wpn: Oaken Staff
Acc1: Apprentice's Robes
Acc2: Seashell Brooch
Equipped Spells:
Fireball [1]
Crystal Arrow [1]
Inventory:
1. Potion
2. Ether
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A

Leveling

All player characters start at level 1. You will level up consistently at various points in the story, as dictated by the DM. As you level up, you will be able to equip higher-grade weapons of your chosen type. These more powerful weapons will, in turn, unlock additional boons and skills when equipped. (But you don't need to worry about that for now.)

Equipment & Storage

Your character's equipment is the stuff they have physically equipped on their person. At any given time, you can equip one (1) weapon and two (2) accessories. Dual-wielding characters (Dual Blades and Dual Fists users) can equip two (2) weapons instead of one, due to the nature of their weapon type. Sword and Shield users can equip a sword plus a shield (obviously).

If your character dies, they permanently lose all the equipment they had on their person, so be careful!

Any excess gear your character obtains can be sent to Storage. Storage is a magical "bottomless box" that can be accessed from your Guild ship, or in any town. If you die, the equipment you have in Storage will not disappear.

Accessories

Accessories are pieces of gear that your character can equip. These include armor pieces, clothes, jewelry, and assorted trinkets. Each accessory provides a specific effect or boon while equipped. Your character can only equip two (2) accessories at once. Equipped accessories physically appear on your person, much like equipped weapons.

Items & Inventory

Items are single-use consumables such as potions, bombs, keys, and traps. They are kept in your inventory. Each character's inventory has a max of five (5) items; unless your character is human, in which case they have a max of eight (8) items.

Much like equipment, excess items can be kept in Storage. Any items that were in your inventory when you die will, too, disappear.

Shops & Loot

You will obtain new weapons, accessories and items by defeating enemies and exploring. At certain points in the RPG, you will also be allowed to purchase gear and items from shops. There are certain blacksmiths who will forge particularly powerful weapons for you if you bring them the right materials; these weapons cannot be obtained normally.

Bows & Arrows

Bow users can shoot arrows at enemies. There are various different arrow types with special effects. Every bow user starts off with an unlimited supply of ordinary Standard Arrows. They can obtain additional, special arrow types such as Poison or Fire Arrows, which come in limited numbers. Bow users can equip a maximum of three (3) different arrow types and freely switch between them. Excess arrow types can be sent to Storage.

If your bow-using character dies, they will lose all their equipped arrow types.

Staves & Spells

Staff users can cast magic spells. There are many spells with different effects to be obtained. However, in order for a spell to be used it must first be equipped.

Each staff comes with a set number of spell slots; for example, a beginner's staff may come with just two (2) slots. In turn, every spell in the game requires a certain amount of slots to equip. For example, a basic spell may require just one (1) slot. Therefore, you can only equip as many spells as your current staff allows. With a beginner-level staff (2 slots), you may be able to equip and use two beginner-level spells (1 slot each).

Staff-using characters can only use the spells they currently have equipped. All excess spells are sent to Storage. (It is possible to have, and equip, multiple copies of the same spell.)

Most low-level spells have unlimited uses, meaning they can be cast as many times as you wish.

If your staff-using character dies, all their equipped spells will disappear.

Death

If your character dies, they will respawn in the last Church they visited. Most towns and cities in the game have a Church or local equivalent.

Your character will lose all their equipment, items, equipped arrow types, and equipped spells upon death. These are non-recoverable. However, they will still have anything they kept in Storage.

PvP

Player-versus-Player (PvP) is the ability for players to inflict damage upon each other. PvP is not enabled in most areas of the game. This means players can't kill each other, no matter how hard they try. With that said, due to the newly life-like nature of Lost Horizon, it's possible to inflict pain upon other players without actually lowering their HP.

Game World

Click this link for a cursory explanation of the major discovered locations in the world of Lost Horizon. I do not expect you to read the entire thing right now, but do have the link handy because it will be heavily referenced and used.

Bestiary

Click this link for a document that details the discovered monster species of Lost Horizon. Once again, I do not expect you to read the whole thing, just have it handy because it will be referenced in the RPG.

Starting Weapons

Your characters will start with a basic weapon of their chosen type. There is no predetermined list of starting weapons; each player makes up their own according to their tastes and preferences. Just make sure that it fits your chosen weapon type, and it's a basic (common) weapon with no special traits or skills.

Early-Game Accessories

At the beginning of the RPG, you'll be able to purchase some accessories for your character at the shops on Sanctuary Island. Choose from the following list:

Apprentice's Robes
A set of flowing robes preferred by beginner students of magic. They hardly provide any protection, but are light and breezy, allowing for easy casting of spells.
Effect: Provides some mild protection from magic damage.

Cooking Pot
Throwing ingredients into this magical pot instantly creates food, though results and effects may vary greatly. Still, your party will thank you for the meal. Probably.
Effect: Allows you to instantly create food by tossing ingredients (meat, fruit, vegetables, etc) into the pot. The resulting dish will be determined by the ingredients used, and can feed an entire party. Cooking resolves hunger, and may also have other effects.

Fishing Rod
With all the time spent sailing and boating, many adventurers have decided to take up fishing as a hobby. Unfortunately, most of them drop it when they realize it requires patience and skill.
Effect: When used on a body of water, you have a chance of catching a fish or small aquatic monster. Fish can be cooked and consumed as food, or used as materials to craft certain gear.

Leather Set
A set of leather body armor for the torso, forearms, and thighs. A popular choice among beginner adventurers for its light weight and ease of use. Doesn't provide a ton of protection, though.
Effect: Provides very basic protection from physical attacks.

Lockpick
A thief's tool, used to jimmy open locks and disarm traps. However, unskilled use of it may result in the accidental activation of whatever trap one was trying to disarm.
Effect: You can attempt to use this to open locks or disarm the mechanisms of traps. Your success will depend on your luck and skill.

Pigiron Helm
A metallic helm made of low-quality iron. It's a popular, if not very fashionable choice for beginner adventurers which a penchant for melee combat. Protect your head!
Effect: Provides decent protection to the head from physical attacks. This will prevent you from experiencing status ailments like Confusion, from getting bonked on the head.

Pigiron Set
A set of low-quality metallic body armor, including a breastplate, gauntlets, and greaves. Hardly the best thing money can buy, but beggars--and novices--can't be choosers.
Effects: Provides decent protection from physical attacks. Make you more likely to trip and fall while wading through swamps and low tides.

Silver Reliquary
A silver pendant hanging from a simple chain necklace. It opens into a small, hollow enclosure where one is meant to keep something deeply sacred. Perhaps your own soul?
Effect: Once equipped, cannot be removed. While worn, will save you from dying once (allows you to survive a lethal injury/attack with 1 HP). Instantly breaks afterward.

Slingshot
A wooden slingshot with a durable rubber band. Considered a child's toy, though there are some who have accomplished a certain level of marksmanship with this.
Effect: Can be used to shoot pebbles, nuts, and other small objects. These will do no real damage, but may have other uses, such as distracting foes or activating switches.

Tough Boots
A pair of knee-height, thick leather boots with reinforced soles. Perfect for wading through difficult or damp terrain. And pretty nice craftsmanship, to boot.
Effect: While worn, will prevent you from tripping or slowing down while wading through swamps and low tides. Provides basic protection for the feet, as well.

Early-Game Items

At the beginning of the RPG, you'll be able to purchase a couple items for your character at the shops on Sanctuary Island. Choose from the following list:

Antidote
A bluish-purple drink that comes in a hard glass flask. It's ruthlessly bitter, but instantly cures the effects of Poison and Paralysis, which can otherwise bring adventures to an abrupt end.
Effect: When fully consumed, cures Poison and/or Paralysis in the user. Leaves you with an Empty Bottle item after use.

Bear Trap
A claw-shaped trap that snaps shut around the foot of the target that activates it. Inflicts continuous damage and temporarily immobilizes the target.
Effect: Set it on the ground. If successfully activated, the target is painfully damaged and momentarily immobilized. Leaves you with a Scrap Metal item after successful use.

Corrosive Slime
This thick, metallic-looking liquid is kept inside a metal flask. It's a powerful corrosive that can melt away impurities, rust, dregs, and other undesirables. Its uses are unclear.
Effect: Has many potential uses. Can be used to clean rusty weapons, melt certain locks, dissolve certain monsters, etc. You won't know until you try. Leaves you with a Metal Flask item after use.

Firebomb
A crudely-crafted explosive, basically a tightly-wrapped bag full of chemicals and flammable powders. Explodes on impact, dealing considerable damage to the unfortunate target.
Effect: When thrown, causes an explosion that deals Fire damage to the target and all near it. Can set things on fire.

Lure Bundle
This bundle of spices, chemicals, and musk attracts all manner of monsters and beasts, and can be used to lure them away from their territory. Just be careful not to attract more than what you bargained for.
Effect: When thrown or set on the ground, will attract and distract most nearby monsters for a few minutes. Crumbles after being used once.

Potion
A viscous, blue-green concoction kept in a hard glass bottle. This is a basic item found in almost every novice adventurer's inventory. Surprisingly, it tastes quite bitter, and kind of slimey.
Effect: When fully consumed, it instantly heals flesh wounds and light injuries on the user. The user's health bar will be mildly replenished. Leaves you with an Empty Bottle item after use.

Skeleton Key
This mysterious key is rumored to open certain doors and chests in the world which are otherwise inaccessible, but no one has determined which exactly. Well, it's all about the excitement of discovery, right?
Effect: May open certain doors or chests. Will break after being successfully used once.

Torch
A simple, wooden torch with the flammable end wrapped in cloth, and drenched in sulfur and lime. A basic necessity for exploring dark interiors and dreary dungeons. Also works as a weapon in a pinch.
Effect: When used, it instantly lights up and will burn for approximately ~2 hours. Illuminates your surroundings. Can be used to inflict mild Fire damage, or set things aflame.

Early-Game Spells

Staff users can choose two of the following spells to start out with. As they improve and level up, they'll gain access to new and additional spells.

Ball Lightning
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Launches an orb of electric magic at the target. The orb can ricochet off surfaces before exploding into a small cloud of electricity.

Crystal Arrow
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Launches a large, arrow-shaped magic crystal, which homes into the target. May pierce armor or tough hides.

Detoxify
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Cures Poison and/or Paralysis in the target.

Fireball
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Launches a football-sized fireball, which flies through the air to reach its target. Can be used to set things on fire.

Illuminate
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Creates a ball of magical light at the tip of your staff. Can be used to light up dark environments.

Nightmare
1 Slot
Unlimited Uses
Effect: Creates a terrifying, illusory monster. It's intangible and cannot deal damage, but may intimidate or spook monsters away.

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
So, do we start off with a beginning weapon? And in my case, beginners spells? Or do we come in completely unarmed?

NPC

sleep researcher
Monster Guy: All players will start with a beginner weapon and nothing else. In my opening post I'll establish some shops where players will be able to purchase early-game items, and, in your case, spells.

NPC

sleep researcher
Ahaha, I don't plan to keep track of money because it would be too much of a hassle. But at certain points in the game I'll be like "okay, everyone may purchase two items from the local shop," and so on. Don't worry, you will have spells.

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
Do these items stack? Or would two potions take up two slots?

NPC

sleep researcher
They do not stack. Two copies of the same item would take up two slots.

NPC

sleep researcher
I want to confirm that our remaining two WIPs are going to sign up. I'll make a decision after that.

NPC

sleep researcher
Just a quick update: Everyone who signed up previously as been Approved. After GoldenHouou gets their SU in, we should be ready to start around the holidays.

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
I can imagine QT-Pi having difficulty dealing with Catboy with flirty he's not used to

NPC

sleep researcher
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay! I'll be posting my character sign-up today and the opening post for the RPG tomorrow. Thanks for waiting!