• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lost Leader Strategy! (534)

dman_dustin

Is super fang an official attack?
never heard of this attack before

The main reason why you probably never heard of it is before 4th gen Rattata and Raticate were the only Pokemon to learn it (as well as hyper fang). And since we rarely see Rattata or Raticate in the anime we probably never saw those attacks. Also super fang is a first gen Pokemon attack (as well as Hyper fang)

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
One word: Great!

A great and marvelous Pokemon episode and a pure pleasure to watch (I watched it even twice!)

As there were countless amazing aspects which are worth being listed, I don´t even know where to start:

First of all, the sheer fact that Lucario appeared was fantastic. I utterly love this Pokemon, it belongs to one of my favorite ones!

Reggie as the friendly counterpart to Paul was really a sucessful new character whom I´d like to hear more about. Great job, writers!
The only thing which bothered me was that I didn´t quite understand how a guy of approximately 24 years was able to afford such a huge and comfortable house! Weird, wasn´t it?

Poor Dawn and Maylene! They both seem to be fair perfectionists as they are feeling so dejected after their defeats. Well, I have to admit that I´m sympathizing with them as I myself always try to give my best in all challenges of life, too.
A defeat makes you doubt your own abilities. These are hard times they are going through but they will surely get over it soon.

Let´s come to the highlight: Ash vs. Reggie
A flawless victory of Ash! Yes, I had my doubts if Ash would cope with that situation, but he mastered it with ease.

Turtwig: Good dodging and a powerful, impressive Energy Ball!
Staravia: This part of the battle kinda confused me: Staravia obviously lost, but why didn´t it have this typical "KO- circles" in its eyes and why did Reggie withdraw his Pokemon, although it would have been able to keep on battling. What do you think about this?
Pikachu: A flawless fight! Pikachu once more turned out to be Ash´s powerhouse. Despite being hit by a powerful and incredibly cool Brave Bird attack, Pikachu fired off a mighty Volttackle (I´m thrilled every time it uses this fantastically-animated, impressive attack!), KOed his opponent and finally was the well-deserved matchwinner.

Conclusion: Apart from one confusing detail during the battle, I´m totally glad of this great episode and almost can´t expect the promising sequel next week.

dman_dustin

Staravia: This part of the battle kinda confused me: Staravia obviously lost, but why didn´t it have this typical "KO- circles" in its eyes and why did Reggie withdraw his Pokemon, although it would have been able to keep on battling. What do you think about this?

I think on this one Ash forfeited. Ash knew he couldn't beat Swalot with Staravia so I think Ash decided to forfeit by catching Staravia (which I think is normally not allowed during any battle). I also think it was because if Staravia was knocked out, Ash probably would've recalled it and Reggie did want Ash and probably his Staravia to see Brave Bird.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I thought it was a good episode and Maylene's voice really suited her. Reggie is awesome and is the complete polar opposite of Paul. I can't wait for the next episode with Dawn and Maylene battling it out! ;393; VS ;448;

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I must admit, the dub did well on this episode. The voices are not that bad also. Also, Reggie...they kept the pronunciation of the name similar to the Japanese name. Shocking. Would that have thought it would have been a different name, at least one that relates to Paul.

The dub did great except keeping too little japanese music pieces..I counted only five which is really bad.

otherwise it was good

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Great episode!
I wonder how Ash and Brock knew immediately what a Lucario an
Aura Sphere were. So do characters remember events from movies
and acknowledge them in the main anime now?

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Great episode!
I wonder how Ash and Brock knew immediately what a Lucario an
Aura Sphere were. So do characters remember events from movies
and acknowledge them in the main anime now?

Ya. If you remember, after the group competed in the Whirl Cup, then they were trying to solve the mystery of the Silver Wing. When Ash, Misty, Brock and Ritchie spotted the Baby Lugia, Brock said,"It's exactly like the 1 you guys saw in the Orange Islands."
Although Brock wasn't in the movie, the group must've told Brock something about the Lugia, and so they'd have to remember the things that happen in a movie.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Great episode. As always, Iwane = Love. :)

I love how Dawn just basically bullies Ash out of a gym battle.

Liked the obligatory aura references and 8th movie music. Nice touch with the whole Jessie and the chocolate bar scene.

Also nice was Brock asking Reggie about the badges...
Brock: "Are those badges Paul's?"
Reggie: "No, Brock they're mine." (walks off)
Brock: o_O

Edit: Rank up! :)

Last edited:

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
About that: the Boulder Badge was in Reggie's collection. I wonder if he got it when Brock's dad was in charge (and Brock too busy baby-sitting to watch the battle?) Most of the Kanto badges interest me, especially the Marsh Badge which Gary lacked given how difficult an opponent Sabrina was. I guess I would really like to know the order Reggie obtained them, I assume he went to Kanto etc BEFORE Ash's journey b/c he seems so much older than Paul.

I was very happy to see the dub finally, missed it last week. James' line about "old meeting new" made me smile. It seemed like a shout-out to Rachel appearing in a scene with Team Rocket. Gotta love Maylene's student, Connelly. Big 'sensitive' guys = lols.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
About that: the Boulder Badge was in Reggie's collection. I wonder if he got it when Brock's dad was in charge (and Brock too busy baby-sitting to watch the battle?) Most of the Kanto badges interest me, especially the Marsh Badge which Gary lacked given how difficult an opponent Sabrina was. I guess I would really like to know the order Reggie obtained them, I assume he went to Kanto etc BEFORE Ash's journey b/c he seems so much older than Paul.
It kinda bothered me that Brock looked right at those badges and didn't even comment on the boulder badge. Brock's dad was never the leader of the gym, he left to become a Pokemon trainer and didn't come back until the episode Ash and Brock meet.
Reggie seems to be a lot older than Brock and Paul so Brock had to have been leader when he got it. So where's the
"Hey Reggie, it sure has been a while"?

Last edited:

HoennMaster

Obviously he didn't battle Brock for it, otherwise Brock would have said something. Also, they do show the order he got them, because if you look at the Johto badges, the Mineral and Storm badges are flipped.

Blaziryu

Yeah, this episode was great! Lucario was totally owning Dawn's PKMN. And I'm surprise that Staravia quickly learn how to use Brave Bird. I can't wait for the next episode.

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
I was astoundingly pleased with this dub! One of the best so far! I wonder why Lucario's dub had to be. There was barely any difference from the two besides the fact that you could hear the dubbed "luuuu" or whatever.
Also the music actually fit! It's unfortunate the US can't use all of the Japanese music due to copyright issues, this was really an episode to applaud TAJ for. *Gasp!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This episode was okay, mostly it was cool to see a lucario again. What really intrigued me was the introduction of Reggie. At least even though Paul has been a hard-to-like jerk since his introduction, at least his brother turns out to be so nice by contrast. I like electabuzz's reaction when he sees the twerps and their pokemon too. The ending is also neat, when Dawn surprises everyone by saying she challanged Maylene to a battle too.

Insidious_Dreamer

Dreams = Reality
I like the Electabuzz/Pikachu mixup, that was great. I also think it would have been horrible if Reggie had been 'evil'.

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
Yeah, during that scene I just love it how Piplup was knocked by a Thunderbolt and then shook it off! That was to me pretty funny!

I thought it pretty odd that Paul actually had a brother. It's more or less to me an apology from the writers for Paul's jack rear's behavior. Reji to me is more or less a total opposite of Paul and very close to Ash. It was a nice breather for me.

Insidious_Dreamer

Dreams = Reality
Well, that it was, the match was still a little one-sided towards Ash's, yes? They made it easier for him to win, or maybe Reggie let him.... who knows.... the funny things is - i just watched the dubbed version and I originally all the badges on the wall were Paul's. But it makes so much more sens that they belong to Reggie!

Also, anyone notice how not all the Kanto Battle Frontier symbols were there?