1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Pokemon Anime Episodes

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Apslup, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Apslup

Apslup Triple Star Hunter

Aside from Pokemon, another one of my passions is Lost Media and I spend a lot of my time reading about, searching for and discussing Lost Media. I've recently taken an interest in Pokemon lost media and I decided to post information about all 4 of the lost episodes of the Pokemon anime in order to spread awareness and to potentially gather some new information.

1. "It's New Year's Eve! Pocket Monsters Encore!" (1997)

Known in Japanese as "Oomisoka da yo! Poketto Monsutaa!" this was an hour-long New Year's special that was set to air on December 31st, 1997. It is speculated to have been a recap of all of the show's most notable events up to that point (Episode 39). It was cancelled due to the infamous "Pokémon seizure incident" that occurred earlier that month due to Episode 38 "Computer Warrior Porygon" which you all probably know the story of. It is also likely that footage from Episode 38 was used in the special.

While the special was never aired, another two-hour New Year's special, "It's the New Year! Pocket Monsters Special", aired two years later and may have used material originally created for the 1997 special. Other than that possibility, no footage of the special has surfaced online and is likely in the hands TV Tokyo, The Pokemon Company, OLM or ShoPro.

Title Card from the Special (only screenshot I could find) https://twitter.com/Apslup7/status/1078617229154045952

AG101: "Battle of the Quaking Island! Barboach VS Whiscash!!" (2004)

Known in Japanese as "Yureru Shima no Tatakai! Dojoach VS Namazun!!", this episode of the anime was intended to be the 101st episode of the Advanced Generation series and the 375th episode overall. The episode saw Ash, May, Max and Brock travelling to Jojo Island (while making their way to Sootopolis City Gym) and getting caught in the middle of an earthquake caused by a Whiscash. They later meet up with a trainer named Chota, who the gangs assists in subduing the Whiscash.

The episode was scheduled to air in Japan on November 4th, 2004, but was pulled from the TV Tokyo broadcast schedule two weeks before it's air date due to the 2004 Chuetsu earthquake, though the episode was initially marked as "postponed" but was eventually cancelled and marked as "discontinued". The episode will likely never be released and the only footage of the episode available is a 35 second preview that was released prior to the cancellation.

Another piece of trivia is that the moves Earthquake, Fissure, and Magnitude have never been used in the anime since the event.

Preview for this episode (only known footage. If anyone can provide a translation for this please do. It'll be very much appreciated)

3. "Team Rocket VS Team Plasma!" Parts 1 & 2 (2011)

Most of you on here probably know about these episodes already since these are the episodes with the most information available about them. Set to air in Japan in March 2011, this 2 part story
    would have revolved around Team Rocket fighting Team Plasma over possession of a meteorite. However, following the devastating 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant meltdown, both episodes were postponed for featuring scenes reminiscent of the disaster and it is likely that these episodes will never air. This lead to Team Plasma not appearing in the BW anime until near the end, where they appeared as they did in Pokemon Black 2 & White 2, instead of how they appeared in Pokemon Black and White.

According to Tom Wayland, the voice director of the Dub, the episodes were sent to The Pokemon Company International for dubbing, but they never actually got to the dubbing process before their cancellation in Japan.

TV Tokyo claimed in 2011 that it would eventually air, but that doesn't seem likely anymore due to how many years have passed. Interestingly, footage from the episodes was later used in the episodes BW96 "Meloetta and the Undersea Temple" and BW106: "Sawk Appears! Ash VS Stephan!!" a little over a year later.

These are the lost episodes that we have the most material on, with a decent amount of footage existing along with various screenshots and a magazine scan.

Link to Screenshots and Magazine Scan https://twitter.com/Apslup7/status/1078625077606969345

Bonus: "Computer Warrior Porygon" English Dub (1998)

I've included this one last because we don't have concrete evidence that this exists or not. You all probably know the story of Computer Warrior Porygon, with the Episode being banned Worldwide after it's initial airing.

However, there is some evidence to support the claim that an English Dub of the infamous episode was produced by 4Kids back in the 90's. The late Maddie Blaustein (who voiced Meowth in the 4Kids dub), stated in an Online Q&A in 2008 that 4Kids had produced and completed a dub of the episode (with the seizure-inducing flashes likely edited out), but due to the ban on the episode, it was not allowed to air and has never been heard/seen by the public.

Exert from the Q&A:

Q: The infamous Porygon episode is banned period. Not only is that episode not allowed to be shown in Japan anymore, it isn't allowed to be shown anywhere. Unless Miss Blaustein says differently, it is highly unlikely that TV Tokyo gave 4Kids this episode.

A: I don't think they will ever show it ---but we did dub it. And it didn't give any of US seizures

Q: I read on Wikipedia that 4kids actually dubbed the seizure inducing episode Electric Soldier Porygon, did you or anyone else at 4kids actually watch the episode, or at least the part where the flashing lights happened in the episode?

A: We did --I saw it --didn't have a seizure

Eric Stuart (Brock and James' English voice actor) later confirmed in an interview at Ramecon 2016 that it was dubbed and he had seen it.

However, Veronica Taylor (Ash's 4Kids dub voice actor) claimed in a 2004 interview that they never dubbed the episode and that it will never be dubbed.

Exert from the Interview:
    Q: Will you ever dub the episode that gave kids seizures in Japan?
    Veronica: We did not dub it - we will never dub it.

How Eric and Maddie could have seen and dubbed the episode but not Veronica is unknown, but it has been speculated that the announcement that the episode was banned may have come before Veronica was able to dub Ash's lines. There is also the possibility that she may have been afraid that if she said a dub happened, that she would get in legal trouble with 4Kids.

Maddie Blaustein Q&A: http://qawithmaddieblaustein.blogspot.com/
    Eric Stuart Interview: https://www.facebook.com/drew.s.hemmerich/videos/vb.100000054400177/1272482669430201/?type=3&theater
    Veronica Taylor Interview: http://pokedream.com/pokemon/infocenter/taylor.php

I hope that this has been informative, if you have any information about these episodes please let me know!

2. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I’ve always been curious about that Porygon episode

3. shoz999

shoz999 It's a Brooklyn episode. So turn on the subtitles.

I saw it and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't Porygon's fault at all. No. The true culprit, the true evil mastermind behind those seizures and the one who pin the blame on Porygon is none other than... PIKACHU!
    Everyone - "GASP!"

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  4. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had a DVD with the episode 38 subbed. I wonder why it was not removed.

5. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Because the DVD you had was a bootleg. That episode has never been made commercially available on any sort of home video release.

6. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

That Barboach filler really looks like a generic filler, I don't think we missed too much there, lol. Although it is weird to think there's one more episode with May that has never aired, although she probably doesn't do anything in that ep anyway.

Spider-Phoenix and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ I'm hunting Ryoko!

The BW 2 parter is the most disappointing in terms of not airing, considering all the hype it had back in the day

04n70n10 and Apslup like this.
  8. Kintaro

And the Plasma arc we eventually got was disappointing. When BW first started it's easy to forget some of the hype it had, but it couldn't follow through with it.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  9. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Right and with the preview looking so good, i dont think it would have saved BW but atleast it would have redeemed it little bit.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  10. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ I'm hunting Ryoko!

I believe that these episodes actually delivered on their hype, if those summary blogs about them released a while back are legit.

11. Kintaro

Didn't Tomioka write those eps? It looked like a DP-era plot because he wrote it, but then it got dropped and we know the rest

12. Apslup

Yeah it seems that way from what I've gathered, but having a completed episode that went unaired throughout the World does give it that elusive vibe to it you know?

That was almost definitely a Bootleg. Do you still have it? If so, let me know!

Can you send a link to these summary blogs? I don't have them as part of my information collection and I would very much like to read through them.

13. Apslup

I think I should also address that there was another Lost Episode that was found back in 2015.

Diamond and Pearl Episode 82 "The Croagunk Festival of the Pastoria Great Marsh!?" aired in Japan once on June 5th 2008, but was altered after its initial airing since a character called Hikori appeared who had green hair, eyebrows, head shape and large glasses similar to the protagonist of the show Dokonjo Gaeru.

In order to avoid Legal Issues from the show's creators, the Anime Staff altered his appearance to have brown hair, no glasses and a different head shape and changed his name to Takuya. His Croagunk's name, Gurekitchi, was changed to Gurekko and one line the Hikori said in the episode, "根性、根性、ど根性だ!" (Konjou, konjou, dokonjou da!, or "We've got guts! We've got guts! We're gusty!"), was changed to "燃えろ、燃えろ、燃えれ!" (Moero, moero, moere!, or "We're burning, we're burning, we're burning!"). This altered version was used on DVD releases, later airings of the episode and the international versions of the episode.

However, this episode was found on August 4, 2015, with the unaltered episode being found on a Chinese website called Letv.com, where it is still available today.

Not a lost episode anymore but one a think still should be brought to attention.

Link to un-edited to edited comparison https://twitter.com/Apslup7/status/1078961998757539841

14. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Time to venture into Polls

I think there's a Master Ball involved in it and I don't think one has appeared in the anime otherwise.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  15. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

they're most likely on post #1 on their episode threads in the anime spoilers section, if the threads are still there
    don't forget "whiscash and ash", where the infamous "master ball failed" scene came from