• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

love and other nightmares

diamondpearl876

Lord knows I have no right correcting anyone's grammar, but shouldn't Starly be capitalized? Since it's the name of a species? Or am I just a moron?

I never capitalize species' names unless it's used as a name. Where the hell have you been?

Virokoe is going to slit his throat at the first opportunity.

With what? His claws? RAWR!

I'm not an expert on female clothing, but how would a skirt hinder her in the water?

Well... I don't know... I never wear skirts. :C

I'm confused. All the stuff before what I just quoted, and after what I previously quoted is a lot of stuff when considering that Virokoe was pulled under the water. What I'm getting at is that a six or so sentence gap between the reaction and the first action seems like a bit too much. I wasn't really feeling the urgency in the situation. Especially if Viokoe didn't have breath then it would be a life or death situation very quickly. Just one deep reflexive inhale would almost certainly be life threatening. Make sense?

Makes sense!

And BTW, I have it on good authority that a Golduck would never do that to someone! He's only got one arm but I trust him! lmao

YOU'RE KILLIN' ME!

That deserves an award right there. Hilarious. Really cracked me up

drama queen alert

Confident, humble, affectionate...I am really starting to like this guy

Geez, finally someone loves Gregory. HE'S ADORABLE. And you're right, I will eventually make you want to bash your head against a wall. Sorry in advance, but not really.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I have definitely had a hard time posting (with school, Pokémon, life's unfortunate requirement of me being a functioning, social human being), but I also definitely read these chapters within a day of their release.

I really enjoy where you're taking these characters. You really start to see the flaws in Annie's approaches, and her own personal cluelessness to her callousness. She thinks she's doing the right thing, which is commendable, but it's easy to see that while she's over her aversion to Pokémon, she still hasn't quite embraced them as individual beings. It's strange that someone who's been going to school to try and learn to connect with others is having a hard time actually implementing it, especially because she notices this as well. I think that's really great writing. I feel so bad for Kepi; he's still my favorite. Virokoe's such a pain hahaha.

The whole thing with Gregory caught me off guard. Like, yeah, I'd have put something together too in terms of the kyurem's mission thing, but to be actually suspicious of him? There's a reason for this, I know it, and I'm dying to find out. I really hope he's a good guy in the end but wouldn't just be the most amazing thing if he weren't? I'm thinking too much about this. xD

All in all, great stuff. Been a while since you last posted a chapter and I'm dying of depravation. I love this series and I would be crushed if this were to end prematurely. It seems a Gym Battle is coming up real soon here. I can't wait to see how you decide to handle that. Will Annie lose the first time she challenges? Will she do some special (actual) training first? Will Virokoe actually hold his weight in battle? Who even is the Gym Leader? All these questions!!!

diamondpearl876

I have definitely had a hard time posting (with school, Pokémon, life's unfortunate requirement of me being a functioning, social human being), but I also definitely read these chapters within a day of their release.

I really enjoy where you're taking these characters. You really start to see the flaws in Annie's approaches, and her own personal cluelessness to her callousness. She thinks she's doing the right thing, which is commendable, but it's easy to see that while she's over her aversion to Pokémon, she still hasn't quite embraced them as individual beings. It's strange that someone who's been going to school to try and learn to connect with others is having a hard time actually implementing it, especially because she notices this as well. I think that's really great writing. I feel so bad for Kepi; he's still my favorite. Virokoe's such a pain hahaha.

The whole thing with Gregory caught me off guard. Like, yeah, I'd have put something together too in terms of the kyurem's mission thing, but to be actually suspicious of him? There's a reason for this, I know it, and I'm dying to find out. I really hope he's a good guy in the end but wouldn't just be the most amazing thing if he weren't? I'm thinking too much about this. xD

All in all, great stuff. Been a while since you last posted a chapter and I'm dying of depravation. I love this series and I would be crushed if this were to end prematurely. It seems a Gym Battle is coming up real soon here. I can't wait to see how you decide to handle that. Will Annie lose the first time she challenges? Will she do some special (actual) training first? Will Virokoe actually hold his weight in battle? Who even is the Gym Leader? All these questions!!!

I've been focusing on my other fic, Survival Project, which actually crosses over with this one in some ways. Now that that's 100% complete, though, I can probably think about this fic again. I only have one chapter to release before I have to start writing again. :p

Also, whenever someone mentions Gregory... I laugh... Take from that what you will. ;) I love your comments though, so thanks!

diamondpearl876

LOVE AND OTHER NIGHTMARES

chapter six
how to take a stand

*​

“We're gonna watch a movie tonight.”

It's a simple declaration, one that makes Virokoe and Kephi throw a fit for their respective reasons. Twenty minutes have passed since Virokoe was supposed to take a bath, and Kephi's beat as it is. Why make him stay up for two more agonizing hours? Well, they'll have to toss me into the dimension world if they want to go rid of me that easy.

“It'll be fun. We can bond over it and everything.” With that, I pull a chocolate bar out from my pocket and show it to them. “Eat what you want, say what you want, do what you want.” They stare at me blankly. “Be nice about it,” I add as Virokoe comes to sniff the sweets in my hand. I don't mention that the chocolate melted thanks to the sun, and it kind of got ruined during the whole lake spectacle. He's too perceptive, anyway, saying that the wrapper is wrinkly and it smells like old cabbage. He pouts and walks away.

That doesn't deter Kephi, though. He comes up to me, rubs his antennae against the top of the paper before grabbing hold of it and swallowing it in one gulp. “Thanks,” he says. “Midnight snack. Goodnight.”

No! You can rest your eyes while I give Virokoe a bath, but no sleeping yet.”

“Stupid humans and their sleeping schedules.”

“Hey, I have one too!” Virokoe snaps, his fur prickling as if he's about to pick a fight in the middle of an expensive Pokémon Center room.

“Oh, no you don't,” I say. I step past them and into the bathroom, knowing Virokoe will follow. He trots along beside me, describing the exact temperature the water should be. I don't have a thermometer, so I figure I'll give it my best shot lest I want a face full of purrloin claws. I pull the lever and let the water flow. When I think it's warm enough, I put the drain down and tell him to wait just five more minutes, and then he can wash up.

“Next time, start a little earlier,” he says. “If we were in Jubilife, you'd be fired on the spot.”

“If I got fired, I'd be grateful,” I retort. He walks away with a huff and lays down on his towel, one that he picked out from a batch Nurse Joy offered us. The nurse didn't seem to mind Virokoe's picky attitude, but I felt obligated to apologize for it anyway. Now I feel obligated to apologize again. “Just kidding, of course.”

“Yes, I'm sure.”.

“I tried hard to get you to come with me, didn't I?”

“If the television stage workers changed from day to day, I would never have gone with you.”

How blunt. It hurts to know he only came with me because there weren't enough people to give him attention. It makes me wonder what will happen when he's bored of me, or when he realizes the team isn't going to play along with his fantasy world. Maybe Kephi's right in the way he speeds us along. The faster the recovery, the sooner the journey is over. Or is it vice versa? The fact that I have to pick a movie is first on my mind. Ah, well. Tomorrow is another day, and early morning is best when it comes to adaptation and learning.

“Hmm,” I say. The second wind I experienced when we reached Oreburgh Gate is disappearing fast, it seems. I gather Virokoe up in my arms and place him in the bath slowly, in case he has a tantrum about the temperature. He purrs with contentment. “Do you use human body wash and everything?” I ask him, eyebrows raised.

“No,” Virokoe says, glaring at me. “There better be something for pokémon up there,” he threatens, referring to the rack hanging from the knob.

I look and, thank Arceus, there's a body wash with the scent and color of green apples, made specifically for pokémon. It's probably not the fanciest bath he's ever had, but I'm not about to complain and set him off. I clean him as well as I can, let him lick wherever until he's satisfied and then I use the hair dryer. After leaving it to him to finish up, I decide to check on Kephi.

I'm not surprised to find him halfway up the television, covering it with his gross slime. His slime is becoming worse than the prospect of poison. I pull him off for what seems like the millionth time, and scold him so fast that I'm not sure what I'm even saying.

“That's it,” I say, gasping for breath. The motion reminds me of earlier today. “You're staying up whether you like it or not. I know what we're watching now too.”

I flop down on the bed, fetching the remote and forcing Kephi to lay next to me. Virokoe joins us soon and ends up taking half of the bed's space. I tell him to move, but he's hesitant, saying he's used to moving around a lot when he sleeps. I'm expecting bruises in the morning.

As the night wears on, mixed feelings set in between all of us. We rent and watch Being John Malkovich, a comedic fantasy movie about people finding a portal that lets them see through an actor's eyes. They're able to read his thoughts, see through his eyes and everything else. Kephi yawns once in a while, Virokoe squeals at the movie's premise and I jump out of bed to block the vulgar scenes. My pokémon have to stay as innocent as possible.

It's little late for that, but it's the thought that counts.

Heeding Gregory’s warning soon proves to be impossible. I don’t want to explore the mines, not unless given an incentive. Rocks and minerals and whatever else aren’t my thing. They’re too concrete and physical. Only abstract concepts interest me, and even then, they have to stimulate my brain to really get me thinking.

There’s always an exception. My exception comes in the form of yet another pokémon from Unova. Not only is Kephi going to hate me for this, but also the saying about curiosity killing cats has no relation whatsoever to Virokoe. Kephi's antsy and anxious to battle; Virokoe's deprived and dust is getting on his skin. Kephi's ready to sit down and eat; Virokoe's ready to strut down the street.

I had figured taking them to the pokémart wouldn’t cause any harm. There, I could buy food and Virokoe could talk to anyone who would listen. I was wrong. I’m wrong a lot these days, and I’m not sure if my luck has always been this rotten or if it’s just something every trainer goes through. Either way, I have a new target pokémon. Kephi and Virokoe are unaware of this, and it’s best to keep it that way for the time being.

My first impression of the tepig: he’s an absolute sweetheart. He’s waiting in line, alone, murmuring a grocery list to himself with a fixed expression. I’m behind him and I can hear part of the extensive list. He needs rage candy bars, lava cookies, slowpoke tails, and Arceus knows what else. Something tells me he isn’t here because he chose to be. He’s here on someone else’s behalf. For a moment I wish he were here for me. There’s no way Kephi or Virokoe would act like that without provocation.

I fiddle with the can of catnip in my hand. It occurs to me that one can isn’t going to please Virokoe, and I forgot about Kephi until now. For all I know, he’s stuck inside a freezer, unwrapping packaged foods. I can see my purrloin, at least. He’s trying to converse with someone who ignores him in favor of browsing hygiene products.

Watching two out of three pokémon isn’t bad, right? I can’t babysit them every single second of every single day.

It's the tepig's turn. The clerk recognizes him and bends down to rummage through the shelves underneath the counter. The clerk pulls out three boxes tied with ribbons, then hands them to the tepig. The tepig shuffles them onto his back. Though his stomach slides against the floor, he moves out of the way, toward the automatic doors at the entrance.

I realize that if I stay in line and check out, the tepig has a chance to escape. I don't know where he's going, so hunting him down afterward isn't an option. I call after him, and he stops to look at me as if I'm crazy.

“Uh, hi,” I say. Why do the meetings with my pokémon always have to be so awkward? “You dropped something.” I give him the catnip and vow to pay for it as soon as I can. I can't forgive myself if the first thing I do with the tepig is let him steal food, even if it is for a good cause.

“Oh,” he says, a perturbed expression on his face. “I don't know who ordered that, but they're weird. Thanks.”

“Ordered?” I motion toward the counter. “This isn't a restaurant.”

The tepig sneers at me. “You must be new to town.”

I had only been making myself look stupid to egg him on, but giving me the benefit of the doubt was nice. “Well, you could say that...” I say.

He gives me a once over. “Are you a trainer?” he asks.

“Is it that obvious?” I reply, covering the pokéballs on my belt like it's no big deal.

Confused, he says, “Not at all. It was a lucky guess, if anything.”

I shake my head. “You don't just get something like that right on the first try,” I say. I imagine I'm attracting attention from the crowd with my loudness, but I'm struck by the tepig's seriousness. Given my age, he should have suspected me to be a mere foreigner or a tourist before a trainer.

“Well, I just got it right, didn't I?”

“Are you part psychic-type? I bet you are,” I say, putting my hands on my hips and leaning in to hear his answer.

This seems to strike a chord. “No,” he says, lowering his head. “I'm a fire-type. And when I evolve someday, I'll be part fighting-type.”

A fire-type! Kephi's scared to death of going near the heat and Virokoe acts like a single scorch mark is the end of the world. I, on the other hand, am willing to risk alighting a few loose strands of hair if it means I can be warm at night. I'm no good at setting up camp; the flames die before half the night has passed. Hopefully my days of creating fires in the most absurd ways are over. That is, if I can get him to come with me.

But of course, he plans on evolving someday, unlike my other pokémon. I can tell by the seriousness in his voice. I can work out that kink later on.

“Dojo-like fighting-type? Or the fighting-type that kind of just throws out insults at everyone?” I ask.

“Yeah...” he says, trailing off. “I'm leaving now. It was nice meeting you, or whatever.”

He escapes and leaves me in the dust all at once. I'm torn between not being able to locate the tepig or losing the two pokémon I already have. I pace back and forth, confused as I've ever been, like I'm in a coma again. No one ever teaches you how you think for yourself in school, and my parents were wary of helping me make important life decisions. Thanks for nothing, guys. I'll count on Arceus for this one, and I can't even tell you what the creature looks like.

“Sir,” I say, rushing the counter, “please take care of my purrloin and my venipede. I just remembered something important I need to do. Don't let them leave, and if they try, lock them up or something. Boxes are okay. Chains are not. Oh, and here's one hundred pokédollars for catnip.” At this point, I'm thinking I'll be the weird one who orders catnip and eats it, if it means being in the tepig's world.

I chase after him.

It's difficult to pick him out of a crowd. Oreburgh City is bustling with people I know are tourists judging by how they're going north one second, south the next. The cobbled street is hard below my feet, reminding me that I need to invest in some better boots. When I come to a crossroad—my first literal crossroad—my eyes scan the sign in front of me. I head left without comprehending what I read.

The road to the mines, at least, is near deserted. There's the tepig, me and another man, short and wearing a red construction hat and a coal-colored outfit to match. The man guards the entrance to the mines, holding a shovel in his hand like he's uncomfortable with the object, yet it's a necessity. Never mind him, though. The little orange pig—I'll name him soon—is my goal.

I slow my walk to a near halt to make myself look casual. I wave to the man and he smiles back, but it's not a happy smile. Another necessity he's destined to fulfill. Arceus has no greater plans for him, at least not for today.

After I pass him, I jog over to the tepig, who seems eager to reach his nearby destination. He's humming to himself and wiggling his behind back and forth to his own designated rhythm. The boxes on his back sway back and forth with him. There's my excuse. I yell for him to be careful.

“You again?” he says, stopping. “Hmm.”

“You bet! With me being a trainer and all, I have to see what kind of pokémon are here.” The tepig glowers at me. He's offended by my statement, and I can't tell why. “I mean... I bet there are lots of rock-types, steel-types... Right?”

“No.”

“Water-types?” My grin fades. I should probably just leave if a golduck is here.

“No.”

I breathe a sigh of relief. “More fire-types?”

“Soon.”

“You're the most cryptic tepig I know.” Granted, he's the only tepig I know, but I'm not about to admit that and demean his species like I already have.

“And fighting-types too,” he says. Ah, right. He mentioned his evolution line being part fighting-type. Does that mean he's close to evolving? If so, I need to intervene sooner rather than later. “I'm one of the last remaining pokémon in the mines,” he adds, and that changes everything.

His tone scares me, but I can't back down now. “I didn't know,” I say. “I'm sorry.”

“You really are new to Oreburgh. But don't you read the news? Watch television?”

“...I watch movies.”

He sighs. “Not good enough. Anyway, it happened about a month ago.” I expect him to keep going, but he doesn't. He keeps plodding along to wherever, and to whomever remains. I motion for him to continue. “Sorry. I'm thinking.”

“Oh... Go ahead,” I say. Finally, I have a pokémon that thinks things through before talking. I wonder how Kephi and Virokoe are reacting to my absence. I could see them throwing a party. If I brought the tepig along, we'd ruin the fun, and not just because of his stoic attitude.

“Well, I'll tell you how the city used to be. Since you're not the brightest and all.”

“Fair enough,” I said, not taking the insult to heart.

“I'm sure you haven't noticed, but there are vents all over town. The vents allow steam to escape and fresh air to enter the mines. This clears the mines of any poison gas, which is, historically speaking, the bane of coal miners. We take care of the mines as best we can to protect everyone.”

“I get it.” My best guess at this point is that poison wafted throughout the mines and killed several inhabitants.

“Regional professors shipped me over from Unova with a bunch of other tepig, along with some torchic from Hoenn. The professors selected us for our fire- and fighting-type combination. We were told we could work in the mines when we evolved. So I haven't been here long, but I've observed and shadowed former workers and formed bonds with them. ...Then I learned about a feral hippopotas living underground and causing trouble whenever possible.”

This isn't leading anywhere good, and to top it all off, the wreckage is becoming more obvious as we walk. There's crushed bulldozers lying on their sides, caked blood spots, piles and piles of rocks, and more. People roam about, trying to repair things, but their shoulders are slumped and their frowns obvious. They aren't energized or motivated at all.

I stop the tepig and tell him I'm going to sit down. “If you want to finish educating me, stay here,” I say. Whatever he's seen, it's been enough for one lifetime.

“Okay,” the tepig obliges. He sets down his food packages and plants himself away from me. “The hippopotas broke equipment, cost the town a ton of money and scared many workers away. Eventually it was asked to leave. As a result, it created a giant earthquake attack, which demolished the mines and trapped a lot of workers inside. We... weren't able to get to them in time. We prepare ourselves for revelations and breakthroughs, not accidents.”

“I don't think it was an accident.”

The tepig nods. “Anyway, after that, I lost my entire sense of purpose. What right did the hippopotas have to do that? What about my friends, my future? I... loathe ground-types and I loathe this earth for giving them so much land and prosperity. Someday I'm going to create an army of fire- and fighting-types and get my revenge on them.”

And there it is—the tepig's full backstory, and his crafted goal. He doesn't sound determined, but I know that a flat, slow tone of voice is indicative of depression and sluggish thoughts.

“What will that accomplish?” I ask him.

He sighs. “It gives me something else to do. And this time, it'll feel so good when it's all over.”

It's clear to me that the tepig isn't satisfied where he is. I look around again, taking in the scenery, or lack thereof. Blood, hopelessness and remnants of the past surround us. That's about all I can take, so I glance in his direction without making it seem like I'm waiting for him to say more.

On one hand, the tepig could be happy here. Rebuilding his home can act as positive reinforcement for decent behavior and contentment. There's a future inside the mines, sure. But that doesn't guarantee it will be a pleasant one, especially if the workers can't fathom a reason to regain what was lost. So if not, what happens? Without a sense of purpose, he might act out his plans. He could become more violent and desperate for revenge. He could shut himself away from the world, become pessimistic (more than he already is), or never come up with a long term goal again. Is this something I want to deal with?

It is.

“Hey,” I say, smiling. “Do you really want to stay here?” That's something I have to hear from him. Even with my inner monologue ramblings, my thoughts are aimless without a confirmation from him.

“What kind of question is that?” he says. “I have to.”

I shake my head. “No, no. That's not what I asked.”

“...Oh.”

“Having to be here is your duty. It's an obligation. What you want is different. When you think about what you want, the ideas come to you in fits of passion. You feel happy, or feel that you might be happy, under the right circumstances.”

The tepig doesn't answer. He fumbles through the packages of food, opening them and then closing them again. If he had fingers I imagine he'd be counting and distributing rations. He's using this rouse to disguise his thinking process, or he's feeling guilty about not getting the food to the others on time. I'm not about to interrupt him either way. I walk away to give him some space.

I whistle because, wow, am I ever bored. The view isn't appealing, and I don't want to help lest I screw something up. Arceus knows I'd make the mines collapse again. I miss Kephi's comebacks and Virokoe's perkiness. When we're a team, they can fill in each other's silences. Virokoe will rant while Kephi battles, and the tepig will come up with elaborate stories and strategies. And so on. There won't be any time to relax.

After about an hour of wandering, I look at the tepig expectantly. He lowers his head in shame. He hasn't come to any sort of revelation. Why had I expected him to alter his whole life based on a short lecture given by a stranger? He walks past me, delivers the food and gets right down to work. He's powerful, and I can tell he prides himself in his strength. His back can carry long slabs of metal from one side of the mines to the other, making the boxes he had carried before look like nothing.

I have a feeling that Kyurem is somewhere, watching with signs of disapproval etched onto its face. I don't like the image, so I turn my head from side to side, trying to track down the tepig again. I find him near the man with the red helmet. He looks like he's faring better than before.

I walk up to the two of them and offer a smile. “Hi, Tepig!” I say, waving. “Who's your friend?”

“...He's not my friend,” he says. “This is Roark. He's the city's gym leader.”

So this is a man who's lost a lot in a short amount of time. No wonder he looked forlorn earlier. I reach out my hand and he shakes it, saying, “It's nice to meet you, ma'am...”

“Annie Willems,” I say. “I'll be challenging your gym at one point. My pokémon insists on it.”

“The pokémon controls the trainer? That's a new one,” he says.

I shrug my shoulders. “I just want to see the sights. We're not the greatest match. And that's quite the understatement.” I've never met a gym leader before. Are they supposed to guide new trainers in the right direction? Well, Roark doesn't tell me to release Kephi for both our sakes, so I guess he's not interested in being a role model today. “Anyway, Tepig, can I come by tomorrow?” I ask, bending down to see him face-to-face. “I'd like to talk to you more.”

“Nobody talks in this city. You get work done.”

“This little guy is one of the most dedicated pokémon I've ever seen,” Roark agrees.

The tepig just scowls.

“Well...” I say, my eyes scanning the two of them. “I'll help you out tomorrow, all right? I'll bring along helpers.” The words leave a foul taste in my mouth. Virokoe, working outside the spotlight? The image is laughable. And Kephi would do more harm than good.

The tepig seems skeptical, but agrees. I say goodbye. I can't believe I'm letting him go and risking never seeing him again. A lot can happen in a day.

I'm pleased to see that the clerk took my request to heart. My pokémon behave by sitting on the conveyor belt and handing the clerk the next item to be scanned, then priced. It's the first act of teamwork I've seen them do. I go up to them, and they stare at me, perplexed by the idea of me returning at all.

“I'm sorry!” I say, out of breath. “I needed to run a few errands.”

Virokoe harrumphs, and Kephi's eyes are as dull as ever. The clerk informs me that I owe a fee of five hundred pokédollars to pay for the damage done to one of the display cases. Virokoe had knocked over a tower of soup cans to gather a crowd.

“Your purrloin didn't even help clean up,” the clerk says, “but he did make up for it, so...” At least he's good-natured about it.

I apologize for the inconvenience, pay him and get out of there before my pokémon can cause more trouble. Virokoe seems eager to move on to the next part of the city and is disappointed when I lead the team back to the Pokémon Center. We take the elevator to the second floor and enter our room. I lock the door behind me and ask why they had to go and be so naughty.

“We were good. We didn't battle,” Kephi says. “Can't do that without a trainer around.”

“Suck up,” I say, not having the energy to argue with him.

“If I wanted to suck up, I would have fought and gotten some reward money to pay for my teammate's insolence.”

“What did you just say?” Virokoe says, scowling at the bug-type.

I'm glad to be around my pokémon again. There's something about their bickering that makes me forget my own problems. “Yeah, Kephi,” I say, crossing my arms, “what did you say?”

“You're a great trainer. Might you buy me some of my own catnip next time?” he says. He goes over to the side of the bed and struggles to attach himself to the sheets hanging off the edge.

I sit down and pick him up. He's heavier than usual. Then I cover my face in shame when I realize the implication of his question. “Dear Mew,” I say. “I forgot to get you something.”

“Damn right you did,” Kephi snarls. “My intestines are twisting themselves in an attempt to find the tiniest scrap of food.”

“Catnip in the bowl, please!” Virokoe cries.

I look at the clock. It's not even time for his dinner. He just wants to torture Kephi. I point this out and add, “We can eat the leftovers from our party last night.”

“Sure!” Kephi says, feigning enthusiasm. “Caramel apple sticks and butterscotch candy wrappers make for delicious meals.”

I smile without trying. “Oh, Kephi. If only you knew how adorable you are.”

Kephi had been crawling toward the pillows, but he stops. “Fetch me a fucking burger. Now.”

“All right,” I say, motioning toward the television. “I'll make it up to you. But if you're gonna swear like that, I'm gonna make you watch television.”

“The horror of it all.”

My venipede already has an odd vendetta against the television, but I know a way to make him madder. I pick up the remote and flip through the channels until I see a man standing in front of a map of the Sinnoh region. He's holding a microphone and spewing out facts about the weather. “You can watch the news,” I say, placing the remote on top of the stand. “No amount of slime can help you this time.”

My venipede gapes at me, as if wondering how I, his trainer, could be so rude. I shrug my shoulders at him, thinking it could be worse. I could wake him in the middle of the night just to rile him up with promises of a gym battle. On second thought, it's not a bad idea. I smile to myself as I close the door.

I make my way downstairs. The Pokémon Center is such a blessing. If they didn't exist, I'd have to make another trip to the store, buy something cheap, and then find an oven or a microwave. Kephi wouldn't be able to stand the waiting time.

The lobby is full, yet empty. Trainers roam back and forth, worrying about their hurt pokémon. There's nothing to distract them because the walls are bare. The walls have no paintings, no maps, no educational posters designed to help the newbies. There's a couch or two, but that's hardly comforting. The mess hall is a trainer's only solace right about now. I head in there, not daring to look at the Nurse Joy on duty. She's not the same nurse I talked to about Kephi's operation, but the conversation's been weighing on my mind. How could I have been so foolish and selfish? Kephi would throw his morals out the window and kill me if he found out.

The least I can do is get him some food. It's seven o'clock, and so the selection is scarce. I build him a grilled chicken sandwich just the way he likes it, with ranch, pickles, three strips of bacon and extra onions. The person behind me in line taps his foot and checks his watch before sighing. I glare at him and make an angus steak burger for myself, though I don't know what I want on it and so it takes twice as long.

Satisfied, I head back to the room, and am half-surprised when I see the two of them haven't moved from their designated spots on the bed. My pokémon, well-behaved for the second time in one day, are immersed in whatever the news reporter is saying. I have to wave Kephi's plate in front of him before he takes notice of me.

“Come on! Just put it on the table,” Kephi says.

“Yeah, because you care about ranch getting on the sheets,” I say, testing my purrloin by waving my own burger in his face too.

And then I hear it.

“...Sinnoh region may be in danger...”

“Huh?” I say instantly, as if the television had addressed me by name. So now, not only am I in danger, but the whole region is as well? “That's got to be a joke...”

It isn't.

My eyes follow the movement of the weather chart first. Blotches of red, orange and yellow cover the screen. If this is accurate, there will be massive ice accumulation all over Sinnoh. But news reporters are notorious for being wrong on a day-to-day basis... I listen as the news reporter goes on.

The weather in Snowpoint City predicts a winter filled with category five ice storms. The city is experiencing strong winds, which have caused trees to block trainer routes. Power lines have fallen as well. Should this continue, temperatures will drop and outages can occur. We ask everyone not to underestimate what's to come and to prepare to stay inside when November comes...”

I hit the power button on the remote as fast as I can, but it's too late. Kephi and Virokoe now have new expectations for this journey, and they're stuck with a trainer who's at the heart of the whole mess. A trainer who's in over her head and doesn't know what to do about it.

“Well, then,” I say, clasping my hands together. “Eat up. We'll do something fun after.”

“Your idea of fun is pathetic,” Kephi says. “Don't try to deny it.”

“Okay. I won't.”

Kephi raises an eyebrow, but doesn't say anything. Clearly he had been asking for some sort of sassy response, but I have none. I'm trying not to shake as it is. I should have taken lessons from the tepig about how to take a stand for myself in lieu of others.

Tepig...

I had been so confident before the news. I have a name prepared for him already. I don't dare think it or say it aloud, in case he refuses to join my team. If he refuses, which I have accepted is a possibility, then a catastrophe will occur.

I just have to do my best. That's all anyone ever asks for, right?

...No one cares about what others want. You can search and search the deepest crevices of your mind for some semblance of humanity, but you won't find any. For my sake, I want to succeed. As most people would believe, failure is not an option.

“Hey, guys?” I say, turning from my team to face the mirror hanging on the hotel door. My hair needs a good brushing and my eyes are frantic. My clothes are streaked with dirt.

Virokoe looks up, his fur tidy. He's the exact opposite of me, composed and reassured. “What? You have something to say to me?”

“Yeah, I do,” I say. “You're wonderful.”

“Tell me something I don't know.”

“I mean it.”

Virokoe blinks.

“Holy shit. Spit it out already,” Kephi says, but not without a roll of the eyes.

“I have someone I want you to meet,” is all I say. Soon we're out the door and heading to the mines, where the tepig had led me earlier. Somehow I know he'll still be there, working his tail off even though he doesn't have to. My pokémon ask me questions, but they don't register in my brain. I give them automatic answers and brush them off with halfhearted gestures.

I think about those ice storms. I think about what it means for me. For my pokémon and my family. For people I haven't met, but want to meet on the off chance they might amaze me. I'm generally an optimistic person, but not when it comes to immortality.

It hurts because I know more than others do. There's very few things that can cause such a winter disaster, after all. What about a legendary ice-type pokémon, for instance?

Kyurem...

I'm not surprised. For me, a storm is always coming.

“Oh, no,” Kephi says as soon as he spots the fire-type from afar. “No, no, no.”

“Kephi, I haven't said anything yet.” I sigh, exasperated. They had given up asking me questions about five minutes into our trip. They must not have been that interested, after all.

“You don't have to. I know exactly where you're going with this.”

“Uh...” I say, my voice trailing off. The tepig is the only one working now that it's night, so I suppose my goal is obvious. This is going about as well as I had expected.

“Are we going to a cleaner place?” Virokoe says as he stands on his tip-toes and makes minimum contact with the ground.

“Don't run off, or you're sleeping outside tonight,” I warn him.

The tepig calls over to us. “Is something wrong?” He's carrying three thick pieces of wood on his back, and he stops to talk to us as if the weight doesn't faze him at all. “Why are you guys arguing?” he asks.

I rub the back of my head, embarrassed. “Aren't you going to ask why I'm here?”

“No. I already know that you have a strange habit of stalking others.”

“...What?”

Kephi bursts out into laughter and says, “On second thought, this guy might not be so bad...”

“He's terrible!” Virokoe cries, going up to the tepig and inspecting him. “His eyes are an ugly shade of brown, which doesn't match his orange fur.”

The tepig's expression hardens. He moves his back so that a piece of wood touches a patch of Virokoe's cream-colored fur, causing him to flinch. “And your fur is the color of a pearl, which only bothers to be beautiful in order to hide the bits of dirt at its core,” he says.

It's been five minutes and already both of my pokémon want to beat up the tepig, albeit for separate reasons. Virokoe's about to pounce. I recall him to his pokéball, but not before the tepig drops the pieces of wood.

“Nothing to be afraid of,” I say, waving the pokéball around. “He's gone.”

“I wasn't scared. I was preparing to fight.”

Oh, boy. I can picture another golduck scandal happening, this time with a fire-, fighting- or ground-type pokémon. Gregory was right when he said I had a knack for picking up the least tame pokémon types. I'd call him and ask him to soothe the tepig, but I can't count on him for everything. Then again, it might not be so bad, considering the biggest threat is yet to come.

“Well, anyway...” I bend down to see the two pokémon. I pet Kephi between his antennae, hoping he likes it. “Kephi, you're right. I want the tepig on our team.”

The tepig's face twists into something indecipherable. “I didn't know this,” he says.

“We don't need you,” Kephi says, pulling away from my touch. Now that my intentions have been confirmed, he's irritated. “Move along, asshole.”

“Well, I should have known better. Why else does a trainer pursue a pokémon like me? Hmm...”

“Don't flatter yourself, kid.”

“Kephi...” I say in an even tone. I'm about to return him to his pokéball, but then I risk losing all his trust. That is assuming, of course, that I have any of his trust at all. Virokoe doesn't mind his pokéball, but Kephi...

The tepig continues talking to himself as he says, “This girl did ask me to think about what I want...” My eyes widen. So he had been listening to me! Now if only I could get him to tell me what he wants. I nod to him, encouraging him to go on. “You know that Roark guy? The gym leader?”

I feel Kephi's body tense up with excitement. “What about him?” he asks. “We're gonna kick his sorry ass into the ground.”

“Good. I look forward to it.”

“You didn't seem to like him when we talked,” I agreed.

“Look, he tries hard, but he doesn't try hard when it counts. He never helped my friends,” he says. “He let them die.”

“I'm sorry—”

“No, he should be sorry. He's trying to rebuild the mines, but...”

“It doesn't bring back the dead.”

“Right.”

I appreciate the tepig's tolerance for bluntness. He's gonna need it if he's around Virokoe and Kephi. I can't help but sigh, however, because I know where this is going. Kephi isn't going to like it.

“So, what you want is for us to beat the gym leader,” I say.

“Yeah. He needs a reality check. He's the first gym in the circuit, but he makes it hard to get by,” the tepig explains.

“Do you... want to fight on our team?” I say, but I know I'm pushing my luck.

“I've tried to beat him. I'm not strong enough because of the type disadvantage, and no one wants to join an army with a lowly tepig as a leader. That's why I want to evolve...”

“We don't want to force that,” I say, interrupting him. “We'll take care of it. And if we do?”

“I'll think about joining your team.”

“No guarantees?”

“No guarantees.”

“Now wait a fucking minute,” Kephi says. He must be confused, not knowing the tepig's story, but something tells me he wouldn't care if he knew. “I'm beating the gym for myself, not for you. If you so much as interfere with my battle, I'll fill this whole goddamn town with poison gas. We'll see if that helps you grow a spine.”

The tepig's response is quick. “So you're a pokémon with no respect for others, least of all yourself. How charming.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” Kephi snarls, scuttling forward in a menacing manner.

“Kephi, don't make me do this,” I say, holding up his friend ball. I could release him after, hoping he'll be tamed if he's recalled. The ball isn't so powerful that it can erase every bit of animosity inside him, though.

“Is that your quick fix for everything?” he asks, not bothering to look at me. “Someday you're not gonna be able to do that shit and you're gonna feel like you're in hell once I'm done with you.”

“Just calm down, and I won't have to do it.”

“I am calm!”

“Doesn't seem like it,” the tepig chimes in.

“You think you're better than me just because you're a fire-type?”

“Well, the element of fire is certainly better than what you can do...”

Kephi, with all his anger and the insults that follow, has no argument for that. Even he can't overcome a type disadvantage like that. Even if he has the power of poison at his disposal, there's very little that can put out a raging fire. The tepig's just happened to run into one of the few things that can beat him. That obstacle's name is Roark.

“So it's settled then,” I say happily, but inside I feel lazy and drained. “We'll fight Roark tomorrow. We'll do our best for you, won't we, Kephi?”

“Whatever.”

I go over to the tepig and whisper in his ear, “How'd you do that? He totally gave in to you.”

The tepig shrugs. “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

“Don't set Kephi on fire, please.” I stand up and tell him I'll be back tomorrow. “For real this time,” I add.

“...See you then.”

That night, I can't sleep. How can I get any rest with the ice storms lurking in the shadows?

Kephi's curled up on a pillow. Even his snores sound angry. Virokoe's sprawled out over half the bed, and I only wish it was his kicking that kept me awake.

I leave and go back to the mines. There's no tepig to be found. I traipse through the area, surveying the damage once more. I ignore the sharp cracks of concrete below me, which are only made pleasant by the occasional blade of grass peeking through. I bend down and pick up one of the blades, rubbing it around in my palms until it disintegrates. It certainly feels real enough. As if I'd been doubting its existence at all. Because if the mines hadn't experienced that catastrophe, this little bit of the external world wouldn't have had a chance to grow.

Sometimes I think Kephi isn't real, or Virokoe, and soon, I suspect the tepig will join that solid abyss I've created for them. They're extensions of my world meant to teach me a lesson for being an impulsive, irrational girl traveling on some fake path to self-righteousness. I'm not cut out to be a therapist. I don't think people can change, not completely. I might care about Kephi, but I can't imagine him staying in my life once he's cured. I use the term “cured” loosely, since most psychological issues can only go into remission. Kephi will always wonder whether to kill in the heat of the moment. Virokoe and the tepig won't be any different.

When I think too much about things like this, I wish evidence proved Arceus's existence. It'd be nice if Arceus existed, though if He did exist, someone might have stolen His powers by now. I'm not a thief, but I would have stolen His powers by now. Then this journey would have ended days before it began. I would have warped to Kyurem's ice cavern and destroyed it without a hint of remorse. I'd be healthy, not tied down by death.

Again, I miss Sandgem Town. I miss Renee, my mother and father. I can't say I know why. Renee is sweet, but she brings me down. She knows what she wants, but has no drive. My mother and father became detached a long time ago, when they realized I was fragile. They became scared. They wanted me to live a life with no regrets so much, they kept their mouths shut even when I begged them to help me.

My breath hitches. Oreburgh City isn't the place for me. It's too industrialized. The air is thick and smells of smoke. Floaroma Town would have been a better choice. It always feels like spring there; no ice can be seen for hundreds of miles. There would be newborn bacterium in the soil. That bacterium would naturally release serotonin, which can elevate moods and decrease anxiety. I'd dig in, get my hands dirty. I'd make Kephi and Virokoe roll around in the hole. They'd feel a sort of euphoria they could find just about anywhere, if only they had been looking.

I look down. I imagine the tepig standing at my side. He knows, and I know, that the concrete could break apart even more. There won't be enough grass to act as a cushion. I can't say for sure what would happen then, but I have a hunch.

I'm not afraid of falling.

Last edited:
You remember how I said in my first review that the non-pokémon sections of the story were my favorite parts in the prologue and first chapter? Yeah, you've done quite a bit to change my mind.

This fic has gone from interesting to completely engrossing. I seriously can't get enough of this story, and the nice part is, I have no idea where it's gonna go from here. And that's a good thing.

Some overall stuff before specifically covering the latest chapter. Annie is still a really fascinating character. Her attempts to placate her pokémon while also trying to keep a grip on them are a very nice touch, and also lends well into her motivation to become a therapist. Gregory is starting to become a really interesting character, and I'm very curious as to what purpose he was sent here for. You've made it very clear that he may be on a mission like Annie, but I have no idea what it is. Again, a good thing.

I also have no idea what Kyurem is trying to do. He seemed to want to help Annie in the prologue, but now he's bringing an ice storm to Sinnoh? I can't get a good read on him, and I love it.

Now onto the pokémon. At least, Annie's pokémon. I won't talk about Gregory's until we see more of him. I'm guessing from the text and you sig that the tepig will be joining the team at some point, and so far, he's...okay. We haven't seen all that much of him right now, but at the moment, he's very serious compared to the other pokémon right now, and because of that, comes off as a little boring. I'm sure that'll change as we see more of him, but the others left much more of an initial impression on me.

Virokoe, on the other hand, is fabulous. And yes, both literally, and in that sense. His temper tantrums over the littlest of annoyances are absolutely hysterical.

And Kephi...is my favorite character in the entire fic. Of all of the humans and pokémon you've created, he easily provides the most depth of anyone. We can see every last bit of his sarcasm, sadism, and frustration oozing out of him in every line of dialog. Also, the fact that he's in a friend ball at the moment is a very nice little twist, and I'm really interested in how, due to the ball, he'll begin to change and warm up to Annie. I don't know if this was intentional, but I'm already starting to see it, at least a bit.

Anyway, enough gushing. Let's dive into chapter 6.

“Yeah, I'm sure,” he says sarcastically.

In sticking with his pretentious personality, maybe change the "yeah" to a "yes." Small little detail, but I think it fits Virokoe a little better.

I should probably just leave if a golduck is here.

ALso, what tense is this chapter supposed to be in? You tend to flip-flop a bit from present to past. I'm guessing it's supposed to be present, so things like

“Fair enough,” I said,

stand out a little bit. I'd suggest going through the chapter to find little things like this.

I should probably just leave if a golduck is here.

She's never gonna live that down, is she?

“We were good. We didn't battle,” Kephi says. “Can't do that without a trainer around.”

“Suck up,” I say, not having the energy to argue with him.

“If I wanted to suck up, I would have fought and gotten some reward money to pay for my teammate's insolence.”

“What did you just say?” Virokoe says, scowling at the bug-type.

I'm glad to be around my pokémon again. There's something about their bickering that makes me forget my own problems. “Yeah, Kephi,” I say, crossing my arms, “what did you say?”

“You're a great trainer. Might you buy me some of my own catnip next time?” he says. He goes over to the side of the bed and struggles to attach himself to the sheets hanging off the edge.

I sit down and pick him up. He's heavier than usual. Then I cover my face in shame when I realize the implication of his question. “Dear Mew,” I say. “I forgot to get you something.”

“Damn right you did,” Kephi snarls. “My intestines are twisting themselves in an attempt to find the tiniest scrap of food.”

“Catnip in the bowl, please!” Virokoe cries.

I look at the clock. It's not even time for his dinner. He just wants to torture Kephi. I point this out and add, “We can eat the leftovers from our party last night.”

“Sure!” Kephi says, feigning enthusiasm. “Caramel apple sticks and butterscotch candy wrappers make for delicious meals.”

I smile without trying. “Oh, Kephi. If only you knew how adorable you are.”

Kephi had been crawling toward the pillows, but he stops. “Fetch me a ****ing burger. Now.”

See, THIS is why I love your characters in this story. The banter between Kephi and Annie is absolutely hysterical, and Virokoe butting in only from time to time adds just enough of his little flair. Honestly, I'm actually kinda worried about the tepig joining the team and changing this amazing dynamic. I know you'll do something great with it, but this is just so perfect!

Missing a slash of the last box there.

“Oh, no,” Kephi says as soon as he spots the fire-type from afar. “No, no, no.”

Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes.

“You don't have to. I know exactly where you're going with this.”

“Uh...” I say, my voice trailing off. The tepig is the only one working now that it's night, so I suppose my goal really is obvious. This is going about as well as I had expected.

“Hopefully we're going to a cleaner place,” Virokoe says, standing on his tip-toes so that he makes minimum contact with the ground.

“Don't run off, or you're sleeping outside tonight,” I warn him.

The tepig calls over to us. “Is something wrong?” He's carrying three thick pieces of wood on his back, and he stops to talk to us as if the weight doesn't faze him at all. “Why are you guys arguing?” he asks.

I rub the back of my head sheepishly. “Aren't you going to ask why I'm here?”

“No. I already know that you have a strange habit of stalking others.”

“...What?”

Kephi bursts out into laughter and says, “On second thought, this guy might not be so bad...”

I love this bit. Not as much as the other big chunk, but still a great deal.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

I never thought I'd see this joke pop up in a story in my entire life. Well freaking done.

When I think too deeply about things like this, I wish evidence proved Arceus's existence. It'd be nice if Arceus existed, though if He did exist, someone might have stolen His powers by now. I'm not a thief, but I would have stolen His powers by now. Then this journey would have ended days before it began. I would warp to Kyurem's ice cavern and destroy it without a hint of remorse. I'd be healthy, not tied down by the prospect of dying.

Again, I miss Sandgem Town. I miss Renee, my mother and father. I can't say I know why. Renee is sweet, but she brings me down. She knows what she wants, but has no drive. My mother and father became detached a long time ago, when they realized I was fragile. They became scared. They wanted me to live a life with no regrets so much, they kept their mouths shut even when I begged them to help me.

My breath hitches. Oreburgh City isn't the place for me. It's too industrialized. The air is thick and smells of smoke. Floaroma Town would have been a better choice. It always feels like spring there; no ice can be seen for hundreds of miles. There would be newborn bacterium in the soil. That bacterium would naturally release sertonin, which can elevate moods and decrease anxiety. I'd dig in, get my hands dirty. I'd make Kephi and Virokoe roll around in the hole. They'd feel a sort of euphoria they could find just about anywhere, if only they had been looking.

I look down. I imagine the tepig standing at my side. He knows, and I know, that the concrete could break apart even more. There won't be enough grass to act as a cushion. I can't say for sure what would happen then, but I have a hunch.

Jeez, this section hurts to read. I think I speak for everyone who reads this when I say that I really want her to succeed now. Not that I didn't want to beforehand, but this just cemented it. It's real now.

This chapter was really, really good. It may have taken a bit, but you've absolutely hooked me. I can't wait for the next chapter.

-Phalanx, out.

diamondpearl876

You remember how I said in my first review that the non-pokémon sections of the story were my favorite parts in the prologue and first chapter? Yeah, you've done quite a bit to change my mind.

This fic has gone from interesting to completely engrossing. I seriously can't get enough of this story, and the nice part is, I have no idea where it's gonna go from here. And that's a good thing.

You and jstinftw! have given me some of the highest praise I've ever received on my writing, ever. I have no idea what I'm doing right (because readers on my other forum are not as enthusiastic about this story), but I'll try to keep doing it???

Some overall stuff before specifically covering the latest chapter. Annie is still a really fascinating character. Her attempts to placate her pokémon while also trying to keep a grip on them are a very nice touch, and also lends well into her motivation to become a therapist. Gregory is starting to become a really interesting character, and I'm very curious as to what purpose he was sent here for. You've made it very clear that he may be on a mission like Annie, but I have no idea what it is. Again, a good thing.

I like keeping people in the dark. *evil grin*

But yeah... Unfortunately, writing Annie doesn't come easy to me. I dove into this story, hoping her personality would come to me as time went on, and then this happened. I have no idea where she's going to take me next, either. (Though I do know where Gregory's going, so that's good, I guess.)

I also have no idea what Kyurem is trying to do. He seemed to want to help Annie in the prologue, but now he's bringing an ice storm to Sinnoh? I can't get a good read on him, and I love it.

Kyurem is a legendary. He owes explanations to no one. ;)

Now onto the pokémon. At least, Annie's pokémon. I won't talk about Gregory's until we see more of him. I'm guessing from the text and you sig that the tepig will be joining the team at some point, and so far, he's...okay. We haven't seen all that much of him right now, but at the moment, he's very serious compared to the other pokémon right now, and because of that, comes off as a little boring. I'm sure that'll change as we see more of him, but the others left much more of an initial impression on me.

He is pretty serious, single-minded and focused. But he can be cute. And fierce. Sometimes. Give him time to open up a little.

Virokoe, on the other hand, is fabulous. And yes, both literally, and in that sense. His temper tantrums over the littlest of annoyances are absolutely hysterical.

I'm glad someone likes Virokoe, since he seems to be a bit one-dimensional right now (at least, I feel like he is when I write him).

And Kephi...is my favorite character in the entire fic. Of all of the humans and pokémon you've created, he easily provides the most depth of anyone. We can see every last bit of his sarcasm, sadism, and frustration oozing out of him in every line of dialog. Also, the fact that he's in a friend ball at the moment is a very nice little twist, and I'm really interested in how, due to the ball, he'll begin to change and warm up to Annie. I don't know if this was intentional, but I'm already starting to see it, at least a bit.

Yeah, it was intentional. He wants to warm up to her, but it's actually not his own insecurities that keep him from doing so, but instead it's Annie being, well, Annie.

Anyway, enough gushing. Let's dive into chapter 6.

GUSH FOREVER

In sticking with his pretentious personality, maybe change the "yeah" to a "yes." Small little detail, but I think it fits Virokoe a little better.

I agree, actually. :C Thank you!

ALso, what tense is this chapter supposed to be in? You tend to flip-flop a bit from present to past. I'm guessing it's supposed to be present, so things like

stand out a little bit. I'd suggest going through the chapter to find little things like this.

Yep, yep. It's supposed to be present tense. I'm just way too used to past tense.

She's never gonna live that down, is she?

Nope. I hope you'll remember this scene way, way down the road.

See, THIS is why I love your characters in this story. The banter between Kephi and Annie is absolutely hysterical, and Virokoe butting in only from time to time adds just enough of his little flair. Honestly, I'm actually kinda worried about the tepig joining the team and changing this amazing dynamic. I know you'll do something great with it, but this is just so perfect!

They make my heart melt. ;_;

I never thought I'd see this joke pop up in a story in my entire life. Well freaking done.

IT WAS TOTALLY RELEVANT, RIGHT?

Jeez, this section hurts to read. I think I speak for everyone who reads this when I say that I really want her to succeed now. Not that I didn't want to beforehand, but this just cemented it. It's real now.

This chapter was really, really good. It may have taken a bit, but you've absolutely hooked me. I can't wait for the next chapter.

-Phalanx, out.

thanks for reviewing! :C I know you've been busy, but it means a lot. I want Annie to succeed too, but only time will tell. :p

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
OK, so. 'Bout that review I promised!

I really, really like this fic, and for three main reasons: the concept, which is neat and a great way to examine the psychology of an older starting trainer with a whole bunch of her own issues; the protagonist, who is that older starting Trainer with a whole bunch of issues; and her Pokémon, which are perfect examples of how to draw jerk characters right. First off, that concept -- I adore the idea of a trainer journey that's about regrowth and healing instead of conflict, or at least has its conflicts displaced into character, with healing rather than victory as the goal, and I like the way you've done it here, too, with an enticing set-up that's left us with a whole lot of mysteries to ponder (the biggest of which are Kyurem-shaped and sitting in a hole in the ground somewhere.) I don't pretend to be hugely widely-read in terms of fanfic, but I know I've come across a few chronically ill trainers as protagonists in the past; here, though, I think you've framed and justified it in a compelling and very different way to most of the others I've seen.

Which brings me to point the second: your protagonist. Where do I start with Annie? I know she's a great character because my first reaction to her is to say oh yeah, I know so many people in their early twenties like that and my second reaction is wait, do I? By which I mean she's a certain recognisable type of person, but she's also well-drawn enough that she feels like a real individual. By the end of chapter one, you already have a good idea about who she is: awkwardly on the cusp of adulthood, accepting of her own intelligence but not without some measure of nostalgia for a naïveté she believes she no longer has. She seeks endlessly after origins, and really thinks, sometimes, that she finds them -- and it's refreshing to see a character like that who doesn't actually get things quite right, whose commentary on herself we as readers can ourselves comment on and find fault with. I could go on, but I think I'll confine myself for now to saying that I'm really looking forward to how she develops further as the story plays out.

The Pokémon, too, Kephi and Virokoe, are great. It would be very easy for them to be purely unloveable, but they aren't, and that's a hard balance to strike. It's a pleasure to see them characterised and developed with such a careful touch.

Which, I would like to say, brings me neatly to the point of your world, except that unfortunately the structure of this review is not letting me claim that the link is in any sense neat. No matter: to your world. Its social structures are realised wonderfully, and that counts for a lot -- often, that kind of thing is neglected in favour of physical appearances. I do feel like you tip the balance a little far in the favour of the intangible at times -- Jubilife City in particular felt like a really nebulous sort of place, and very hard to visualise -- but that's my only real criticism in terms of how you create spaces and senses of place. All the hints we get about the way training works, with the conversion of money and the regulations, gives a good sense of a world of people behind the geography. I have a few specific issues about that geography too, but they're pretty minor -- in Chapter Two, Annie falls into 'patrat territory', which seems odd given that patrat are from Unova, and in Chapter Four, she talks about Dragonspiral Tower and the Old Chateau as if both are in Sinnoh, when only the Chateau is.

There are one or two failures of dialogue, as well. In Chapter One, Annie's mother tells her of her deerling that 'you loved her like no other', for instance, which to be honest, doesn't sound like a thing that anyone would really say. I can understand Annie's self-narration tending towards the grandiose (or at least, I didn't think it out of keeping with her character when she said 'alas' unironically, because that's just the kind of person she is), but I think that in your direct speech it might be wise to rein in the verbosity at times. Another case in point, also from Chapter One:

“Though mathematics and philosophy, named alone, can be very confusing to some people.”

It just sounds off. The prose style you've adopted works well for narrating the story you want to tell, but it's a bit artificial for speech. You avoid this successfully and consistently with characters like Kephi, whose earthiness seems to counteract it, and I think quite a few passages of dialogue would benefit from being brought closer to actual speech in that way.

Here's something, on the other hand, that I really like.

Trainers can get preoccupied with statistics if they're not careful. Kephi is more than a statistic.

I don't know, that sort of sums up fanfiction for me. Isn't that why we write it? To capture, and ultimately to celebrate, the feeling that our venipede is more than a randomly-generated string of numbers. There are more moments like this -- little gems that nod wryly at the genre and form you've chosen -- and that, I think, is one of the things I like most about it. Just like its narrator, your story hints that it's looking back at itself and the impulses behind it. For a story about healing and seeking out the roots of disorder, that seems just about right, and I'll be watching eagerly to see not only how Annie's story develops (I haven't said much about the latest chapters, I realise, but oh, the end of Chapter Six!), but how the story's view of itself does.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

OK, so. 'Bout that review I promised!

When I PMed you, trying not to pour my heart out with all its appreciation, I wasn't expecting a review! Nevertheless, it is very much appreciated and I hope it wasn't too much of a bother. Why are readers of this fic so nice to me?! Anyway...

First off, that concept -- I adore the idea of a trainer journey that's about regrowth and healing instead of conflict, or at least has its conflicts displaced into character, with healing rather than victory as the goal, and I like the way you've done it here, too, with an enticing set-up that's left us with a whole lot of mysteries to ponder (the biggest of which are Kyurem-shaped and sitting in a hole in the ground somewhere.) I don't pretend to be hugely widely-read in terms of fanfic, but I know I've come across a few chronically ill trainers as protagonists in the past; here, though, I think you've framed and justified it in a compelling and very different way to most of the others I've seen.

I quite enjoy finding ways to spin a journey!fic into something especially different, and I'm glad you think I'm succeeding in doing so... For me, writing a journey!fic requires older trainers, pokemon with personalities, the constant question of 'what happens now', and character conflict within a trainer's team (because I can't imagine how a trainer would go about constructing a team carefully enough for harmonic purposes rather than for covering type weaknesses and such, though I think writing that last bit there just gave me a concept to work with in the future). The badge quest is really the last thing on my mind.

I'm also glad you like the psychological aspect of this fic. Psychology is what interests me most in life, I think, and I can't imagine -not- portraying it in my writing. As far as the healing idea goes... My first fic, which overlaps with this one, was actually more about self-discovery and identifying one's own problems. That fit in with what I personally needed at the time. Now that my own self-discovery phase is over... Well, then came the "let's look for ways to heal" idea.

(I think I just wrote this more for my benefit than yours, but there it is.)

As far as chronically ill protagonists go, I haven't quite read a fic that tackles that subject (aside from Hakajin's story on here, but I started Love and Other Nightmares prior to that reading). So I'm gonna take your word for it and feel my ego boost.

Which brings me to point the second: your protagonist. Where do I start with Annie? I know she's a great character because my first reaction to her is to say oh yeah, I know so many people in their early twenties like that and my second reaction is wait, do I? By which I mean she's a certain recognisable type of person, but she's also well-drawn enough that she feels like a real individual. By the end of chapter one, you already have a good idea about who she is: awkwardly on the cusp of adulthood, accepting of her own intelligence but not without some measure of nostalgia for a naïveté she believes she no longer has. She seeks endlessly after origins, and really thinks, sometimes, that she finds them -- and it's refreshing to see a character like that who doesn't actually get things quite right, whose commentary on herself we as readers can ourselves comment on and find fault with. I could go on, but I think I'll confine myself for now to saying that I'm really looking forward to how she develops further as the story plays out.

I think your comments regarding Annie are what intrigued me most. Even as the writer, I don't have a full grasp on Annie. That's partly due to having hoped she'd be fleshed out as I wrote her rather than before writing her, and partly because I don't quite know anyone like her. Either way, seems like she can still be defined and, most importantly, her faults can clearly be seen.

The Pokémon, too, Kephi and Virokoe, are great. It would be very easy for them to be purely unloveable, but they aren't, and that's a hard balance to strike. It's a pleasure to see them characterised and developed with such a careful touch.

I have been told I have a knack for characterizing/developing touchy-subject characters in a non-offensive, pleasing way. I don't know how I do it, but I'll keep doing it.

Which, I would like to say, brings me neatly to the point of your world, except that unfortunately the structure of this review is not letting me claim that the link is in any sense neat. No matter: to your world. Its social structures are realised wonderfully, and that counts for a lot -- often, that kind of thing is neglected in favour of physical appearances. I do feel like you tip the balance a little far in the favour of the intangible at times -- Jubilife City in particular felt like a really nebulous sort of place, and very hard to visualise -- but that's my only real criticism in terms of how you create spaces and senses of place. All the hints we get about the way training works, with the conversion of money and the regulations, gives a good sense of a world of people behind the geography. I have a few specific issues about that geography too, but they're pretty minor -- in Chapter Two, Annie falls into 'patrat territory', which seems odd given that patrat are from Unova, and in Chapter Four, she talks about Dragonspiral Tower and the Old Chateau as if both are in Sinnoh, when only the Chateau is.

The whole Sinnoh-Unova thing confuses me a lot for various reasons, and I have yet to go back and fix those errors. Thanks for reminding me about them, haha.

I... have a very, very hard time with physical description of any kind. I could rant about why, but if I didn't have those social structures I'd have a very hard time with making the setting important. I feel that (maybe?) Oreburgh's physical appearance was described better, and I have plans for Floarama Town that makes use of the scenery more than anything else. Basically I realize this is a problem and I plan to work on it. :p

There are one or two failures of dialogue, as well. In Chapter One, Annie's mother tells her of her deerling that 'you loved her like no other', for instance, which to be honest, doesn't sound like a thing that anyone would really say. I can understand Annie's self-narration tending towards the grandiose (or at least, I didn't think it out of keeping with her character when she said 'alas' unironically, because that's just the kind of person she is), but I think that in your direct speech it might be wise to rein in the verbosity at times. Another case in point, also from Chapter One:

It just sounds off. The prose style you've adopted works well for narrating the story you want to tell, but it's a bit artificial for speech. You avoid this successfully and consistently with characters like Kephi, whose earthiness seems to counteract it, and I think quite a few passages of dialogue would benefit from being brought closer to actual speech in that way.

Dialogue issues noted. At any rate, I'm glad you like the prose style. Initially the story was in third person and considered too poetic, so I've had to alter the style quite a bit.

I don't know, that sort of sums up fanfiction for me. Isn't that why we write it? To capture, and ultimately to celebrate, the feeling that our venipede is more than a randomly-generated string of numbers. There are more moments like this -- little gems that nod wryly at the genre and form you've chosen -- and that, I think, is one of the things I like most about it. Just like its narrator, your story hints that it's looking back at itself and the impulses behind it. For a story about healing and seeking out the roots of disorder, that seems just about right, and I'll be watching eagerly to see not only how Annie's story develops (I haven't said much about the latest chapters, I realise, but oh, the end of Chapter Six!), but how the story's view of itself does.

I might be biased, but I liked the end of chapter 6 too. ;)

Anyway, thanks so much for these comments. Er, I just happen to write fanfic because I grew up with pokemon and am too sentimental to let it go. Writing in general is therapeutic and helps me explore myself in a rather weird, indirect way. If I'm being completely honest, I don't think too deeply about a story before writing it. Things just naturally fall into place (most of the time). Writing itself, as well as absorbing reader interpretations, is essentially just a way of diving into my subconscious and pulling out what I initially didn't want to pull out. If that even makes sense. I'm gonna end this review response and go be introspective somewhere else, haha. Thanks again!

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Review for chapter six,

Twenty minutes have passed since Virokoe was supposed to take a bath, and Kephi's beat as it is. Why make him stay up for two more agonizing hours? Well, they'll have to toss me into the dimension world if they want to go rid of me that easily

Lmao she's becoming less of a trainer and more of a nanny for her petulant children

“If I got fired, I'd be grateful,” I retort

And there comes the sass that I've come to love. *cough*I feel like she gets it from the author *cough*

“No,” Virokoe says matter-of-factly, glaring at me. “There better be something for pokémon up there,” he threatens, referring to the rack hanging from the knob.

This is really something you deserve recognition for. The effortless way you write his mannerisms, sarcasm, and condescension is actually pretty incredible. Everyone can accurately describe someone who's acting like a moron or a stuck up priss but you do it in such a way that we really believe it's an innate part of their personality. I love it

We rent and watch Being John Malkovich

Lmao what made you pick that movie? Did you watch it recently? What a ****ing random movie for the three of them. Don't get me wrong, it's a great flick but when I read that I literally lol'd

and I jump out of bed to block the vulgar scenes. My pokémon have to stay as innocent as possible.

I think it's a little late for Kephi

This seems to strike a chord. “No,” he says sternly, lowering his head. “I'm a fire-type. And when I evolve someday, I'll be part fighting-type.

He seems to have quite a decent amount of confidence, in addition to being pretty well spoken. I like him

The cobbled street is hard below my feet

Why are the streets cobbled?

my first literal crossroad

That's hilarious

“I was shipped over from Unova with a bunch of other tepig, along with some torchic from Hoenn. We were selected for our fire- and fighting-type combination. We were told we could work in the mines when we evolved

At first that seemed like slave labor to me but then seeing as how he seems to want to do it, it feels more like light indentured servitude? Lol I'm not sure but it strikes a weird chord with me. Shipped over there with other Tepig and Torchic makes me think of puppy mills for some reason. Like they crank them out for specific purposes, which is maybe what you're going for. Not sure. hmm

I... loathe ground-types and I loathe this earth for giving them so much land and prosperity. Someday I'm going to create an army of fire- and fighting-types and get my revenge on them.”

Ah okay, so he's just as crazy as her other Pokemon lol

Kephi had been crawling toward the pillows, but he stops. “Fetch me a ****ing burger. Now.”

God that so awesome. I know I should be at least attempting to provide something constructive but **** I love Kephi. Almost every line he has cracks me up

I'm not surprised. For me, a storm is always coming

When she says stuff like this I obviously agree with her, especially since I remember stuff from SP involving her. Though it wouldn't surprise me if you pulled a 180

“Don't actually set Kephi on fire, please.” I stand up and tell him I'll be back tomorrow. “For real this time,” I add.

Lmao it was actually probably a good idea that she told him so haha

My breath hitches. Oreburgh City isn't the place for me. It's too industrialized. The air is thick and smells of smoke. Floaroma Town would have been a better choice. It always feels like spring there; no ice can be seen for hundreds of miles. There would be newborn bacterium in the soil. That bacterium would naturally release sertonin, which can elevate moods and decrease anxiety. I'd dig in, get my hands dirty. I'd make Kephi and Virokoe roll around in the hole. They'd feel a sort of euphoria they could find just about anywhere, if only they had been looking.

Beautifully written. The way you blended smell and how it relates to chemicals released by the brain to apply to an imagined feeling was just excellent. Not only was it easy to visualize but it made me really believe how unhappy she is in Oreburgh and with what she's having to ****ing do in general. Perfect, really.

That though, for some reason is hard for me to believe. That might change over time but for some reason I don't think she's being sincere.

diamondpearl876

Review for chapter six,

I'm kind of sort of mad, since I replied to your review thoroughly and then hit the backspace button on accident, so I lost it all. Basically, I'm glad you commented on Virokoe since I'm not confident writing him yet, and also about the indentured servitude thing... It's not expanded on, but it's just another aspect to show international trading/communication. The puppy mills thing makes sense, as it could be seen that Hoenn/Unova breed too many starters and give away the ones that aren't trainer material to Oreburgh City, Sinnoh.

Also, people on Bulbagarden say Annie's a self-insert as a joke, too. Jerks. ;)

Anyway, I'm not quite done with the next chapter, but it is planned out and in the works. Expect it soon.

diamondpearl876

Chapter 7 is finally here, 5 weeks later. >_> Here we have Annie's first gym battle, as well as Kephi's backstory reveal. I'd like to especially thank Creepychu and Negrek for helping me work out the backstory kinks and characterization, as well as Flaze and Beth Pavell (from Bulbagarden) for helping with dialogue bits and attack descriptions.

chapter seven
the center of adrenaline

*​

“All right, Kephi. It's time to see what you can do,” I say.

We're training for the gym battle today, but not really. It's hard to command a poison-type pokémon if you don't know any attack names, after all. It's especially hard when you use your voice to provide long, convoluted spiels about philosophy more than anything else. Still. I can dream, right? I imagine we're in the middle of some grand arena with a wide audience, cheers abundant and enthusiasm intact. We'd be facing a pokémon with a type disadvantage, and we'd feel so sorry for the enemy that we'd let them attack first. It follows, then, that I'd ask Kephi to use—

“Defense curl?”

Kephi's response is immediate. “No,” he says.

It's fair for him to decline. We're not in a tournament. We're not even facing the weakest of wild pokémon. We're in the hotel room this morning, as usual. At this point I'm surprised that my pokémon haven't asked me if I'm a real traveler or not, as I haven't been at all inclined to see the sights. Every location we've visited has had something to do with recruiting a teammate. ...I'll have to change that soon. But first, I have to deal with this.

I consult my pokédex once more. “Rollout? That sounds familiar...” I say, looking at the list of a venipede's attacks with vague interest.

“I don't think so.”

So he won't use defensive maneuvers? That's fair too. Venipede are natural predators, meaning that our strategy will be offensive. Whether poison is involved... That's still up for debate. I could see Roark disqualifying us for inflicting fatal wounds. ...What pokémon does Roark use, anyway? That may have been a useful thing to ask the tepig, but I had already made a fool out of myself enough.

I sigh. The next attack on the list is, of course, poison sting. “...Screech,” I say instead, daring to look at him.

He squints his eyes, but just barely. “You don't mean that,” he says.

“Right now? Oh, Arceus, no, don't do that here,” I say, motioning for him to keep quiet lest the windows break and the nurse on duty kicks us out.

“Hmm,” is his slow, drawn out reply.

“Uh huh...” I say, resting my face in one hand as I use the other to navigate the pokédex sitting in my lap. The device gives me a notification about the next attack, pursuit. Virokoe knows this move as well. “Virokoe?”

I shouldn't have called his name. It's time for breakfast, after all. He gives me the most feral glare he can muster, then goes back to eating.

“Virokoe, I need to know what pursuit means. I don't think Kephi wants to answer.”

At last, Kephi manages a smirk, as if he's amused about how I actually noticed.

Virokoe's head snaps up, his face splattered with catnip. For a moment he turns away, then peers at me again, this time with his strange necklace in his mouth. My eyebrow raises with suspicion. Hadn't that ugly thing disappeared during the lake incident, if not before? Virokoe has a stealthy side that I have yet to keep up with, it seems.

“Pursuit is a special attack. It means I chase after treasures nonstop,” he says. His voice is less than graceful with the chain hanging around his teeth.

“I haven't seen that necklace since Jubilife City,” I say, ignoring him. “Also, your face is dirty. And now the necklace is too.”

He glares at me again. “I was making a point by showing it to you,” he says, then paws at his neck to remove the piece of jewelry. Seeing the mess he made by accident, he gasps. “Look what you've done!”

I shrug. “Should have told me what pursuit does,” I say.

“Fine,” he says, nudging the necklace toward me with his nose. “I'll tell you, but only if you wash this.”

“Not interested anymore.” I grin at him, then watch him skitter into the bathroom. He'll be in there a while, trying to figure out how to turn the bathtub knob with his paws. I shake my head and focus on my pokédex. In truth, the device offers information about attacks: their names, their descriptions, how to incorporate them into different kinds of strategies and more. My pokémon don't need to know that unless they need another reason not to take part in conversations with me. “So, Kephi...”

“Pursuit?” he says, mimicking me.

“No,” I say, mimicking him and scrolling down. “Protect?”

There's an awkward silence that follows until he says, “Doesn't work.” He speaks with clear articulation, as if it's something I have to understand.

I don't quite understand. Protect enables the user to evade all attacks. Its chance of failing rises if it is used in succession. The pokédex implies that he should be able to dodge an attack at least once, doesn't it? I can only guess that his grudge against the tepig has put a dent in his pride. He had made a serious threat, not one I'd ever heard from him before...

“Why doesn't it work?” I have to ask, because it's not a poison-type move. What else could it be?

In a flash he's back to his old self. He snarls and says, “Go back to interrogating the damn cat.”

It's not a good idea to press him. He's the kind of pokémon you learn about when he's in action. Smiling, I close the pokédex. “That's all right,” I say. “We're going now.” Of course, we didn't come up with any sort of plan, but I can think on my feet when we're there.

I lock Virokoe out of the bathroom, unable to placate him until I promise him that we'll earn another treasure at the gym. The room grows quiet and peaceful. I open the door, watch my pokémon amble out and past the Pokémon Center's exit. We head to the western edge of town, away from the mines. The streets are clear, which gives me space to breathe, unlike last night. Kephi uses this space to slither in a zigzag pattern. Virokoe peers into potholes and cracks, presumably for that treasure I lied about.

And just like that, I'm free to picture the aftermath my gym circuit debut.

Roark's gym badge, shining and perfect, is not only in my mind but also in my hand as I show it to the tepig, asking him again to join our team. He'll agree faster than I can blink. I'll applaud Virokoe on a job well done, even though he'll have been unprepared for a long battle of endurance. Kephi will smile a sincere smile. He'll ask to travel to the next gym as soon as possible, pride welling up inside without needing anyone else's praise...

One of psychology's most terrible discoveries, expressed with a degrading, fearful phrase no one wants to hear—it's all in your head—invades my thoughts. Well, that's true enough. I do, at least, plan to have Virokoe fight, but his attacks are devious, their descriptions plain and not something I want him to think about—torment, fury swipes, growl... So I had left him alone for the most part while I questioned Kephi, whose anger is already apparent, the thought of poison foremost on his mind when all he does, even if he doesn't know it it, is protect himself—from his teammates, me and, above all, his past trainer.

Oreburgh City's gym is tall, narrow and held together by adobe stones that contrast with the resident's modernized homes. Directional signs made the place easy to find. Due to the high trainer population, I had expected to find a line spread out for miles rather than a desolate building fit for ghosts. Then I could have gauged Roark's strength by how many trainers walked out crying or hiding smug looks on their faces.

A more important thought occurs to me. Adobe stones, though durable, are highly susceptible to earthquakes. Yet here's the gym, unhurt along with the rest of the city. Were the mines so vast that the hippopotas's earthquake tore them apart while sparing everything else? Is it possible for a pokémon to be able to control an attack of that magnitude? ...The tepig had emphasized his losses, but how could he not see how many lives had been saved, including his own?

I have to force myself to stay calm. If I don't recall my own idiocy, I can believe our initial meeting had gone as well as it could have. Even the city dwellers, though, refuse to come out this morning and revel in the fact that they can still breathe...

I take a deep breath myself and step inside.

The gym's interior, at least, is refreshing, though a bit unorthodox with its design. The main hallway is too small for even Kephi and Virokoe to stand side-by-side. In front of us is a stone wall, which surrounds a large set of stairs leading up toward what I presume is the battlefield. Before I take that first step, I notice engravings of names etched into the wall. I run my finger over one of the names, though it's not familiar to me—Addison Gale—and it's cool to the touch. I assume this is something like a hall of fame, something like the gym circuit's version of chosen ones.

Halfway up the stairs, Kephi mumbles something about being carried. I oblige, hoping to preserve some of his energy for the battle. The building's stature starts making sense the higher we go, as the stone wall gives way to what appears to be a mountain. Heaps of boulders lay around us, and though everything seems stable, Virokoe asks to be carried as well. By the time we reach the top, I'm ready to collapse myself.

Kephi notices the tepig straight away, then promptly jumps out of my arms, landing with a pathetic thud.

“Quite the entrance, there,” the tepig says, smirking. “As per your trainer's request, I didn't set you on fire. You should be fine.”

“I was thinking about that last night,” Kephi says, shaking his head. “Fire-types have smoke in their lungs when they use attacks, don't they?”

“Why, yes...”

“Choke on it next time.”

The tepig frowns. Virokoe giggles and makes a comment about ugly burns. Before I can scold any of them, Roark arrives and welcomes us to the gym.

“Good luck,” the tepig says, nodding to me alone, as if I'm about to fight a rock-type with my bare hands. Now that Roark's specialty is obvious, I'm not quite as confident as I was thirty minutes ago. Even so, I manage a smile and watch the tepig make his way to the sidelines.

“You have two pokémon, correct?” Roark asks. It's a friendly enough question, but his voice betrays him. He seems more tired than he was yesterday. The tepig, too, has forgotten others affected by the incident and instead projects his anger onto them.

I'm tempted to say I have three pokémon, thank you very much, but I don't. “That's right,” I say. “Just my venipede and purrloin.”

“Interesting choices. In that case, this will be a two-on-two battle. Are you ready?”

“As ready as I'll ever be.”

Roark nods, then pulls a pokéball from his belt. He throws it forward and out pops, of course, a pokémon that looks like a literal rock, except this particular rock has hands. The geodude's hands are clenched, its expression taut and fierce.

“All right, Virokoe,” I say, nudging at the feline with my feet. “I'm gonna need you for this one.”

He flinches at the touch and fixes his fur. I tell him, again, to step forward. “What,” he deadpans, as if the concept is a joke.

“I'm serious!” I say. “Go out there and show me what you've got.” If the lake incident is anything to go by, it isn't much.

“No! Send that cretin out first,” he says, pointing to Kephi. “The best is saved for last.”

I should have known better than to think this would be easy. Even with his lack of skills, Virokoe thinks he's the strongest. I bend down so I can see him face-to-face, then say, “But that's our strategy. We throw off our opponent by sending our best out first. Kephi's a trump card, a back-up plan.”

Virokoe stares at me. “Are you sure about this? I mean, there's dirt out there.”

Arceus help me now. “Of course I am. Go out there and kick some butt, okay?” I say, giving him one final push before he ambles over to his opponent, a half-serious look on his face mixed in with worry. He struggles to prop himself up on two feet. It's not something I've seen him do before, but I suspect it has something to do with keeping his paws clean.

“The rules of this battle are simple,” Roark says with a new found, authoritative voice. “The winner is whoever knocks out both of the opponent's pokémon. You are not allowed to run into the arena or you'll be disqualified, but you are allowed to switch pokémon if you feel the need to.”

Virokoe shifts his feet back and forth. I can't say gravel would be feel good against my feet either, but he may just want to be switched out for Kephi.

“And with that, the challenger may start,” Roark says, folding his arms.

“Oh, boy,” I mutter. I had been hoping to use Virokoe as a defensive measure so that I could learn more about Roark's battling style. Roark looks younger than I am, but he knows what he's doing. He's not a gym leader for nothing, at any rate. I take on my own battle stance and give my first command as an official trainer: “Virokoe, use sand attack.”

Ah, there comes the inevitable look of confusion, I think as he peers back at me, which makes him lose his balance and fall on his side. My pokémon are clumsier than usual today. Roark says nothing, but I bet he's laughing inside. He leaves me to my own devices and doesn't command his pokémon. I feel that I'm supposed to ask if Virokoe's okay, so I do.

He ignores me. “Look what you've done,” he growls, pausing after every word for emphasis. It's a step up from the way he said the phrase yesterday, which was more out of muddled shock than malice.

Virokoe regains his composure, his knees wobbling and already scraped. He turns, his mouth going agape when he notices that the geodude has floated a few paces backward. He grins, then hisses with vigor. The geodude's fists loosen as it loses confidence.

“See, Virokoe? You're a feisty little cat,” I say, grinning. “Now, sand attack. Blind it.”

This makes more sense to the purrloin. His feet twitch against the gravel, but then he bounds forward, slowing down just before he reaches the geodude. His tail swipes against the ground, which picks up bits of rocks and sand that get stuck in the geodude's eyes. The geodude utters a quiet cry and closes its eyes, still unmoving. Small trickles of water fall from its eyelids, then it blinks again and again until it's as if nothing at all had happened.

“Annie”—there's Roark and his incoming lecture—“I train rock-type pokémon on a daily basis. We train in desert-like areas the most. I think Geodude knows how to retaliate against a simple move like that one.”

“Fair enough,” I admit, tapping my foot in irritation. A trainer can't just carry around a first-aid kit to use during a challenge... So what better way to flush out the eyes than to teach yourself how to cry? Unfortunately, the thought of my pokémon knowing how to cry on demand would be more amusing than helpful.

The geodude smirks. Virokoe growls again, and the rock-type's façade is gone in an instant.

It's time to get serious, especially with Virokoe's confidence growing. I pull out my pokédex, hoping Roark can't see it from his side of the battlefield. Scratch and fury swipes would break Virokoe's claws, and we don't need unnecessary commotion... Growl works well enough; pursuit is strange to use on an immobile opponent; and I can't recall what assist does...

Roark breaks my train of thought and says, “Geodude, use rock tomb.”

Okay, I really think it's time to get serious as the geodude wastes no time in hurtling the largest rock it can find at Virokoe. The purrloin shrieks and flees to the right. Geodude, without further provocation, floats over to the rock, picks it up and moves in a pattern that's hard to predict. That, at least, gives us a window of opportunity...

“Use pursuit, Virokoe!”

He nods to me. It's the only attack he knows about in-depth, after all, what with his treasure hunting abilities. I watch as his whole body glows with a dark, purple aura that prevents any of us from deciphering his intentions. In one brisk motion, he seemingly glides toward the geodude, who drops the rock in an attempt to keep himself from getting hurt. The aura surrounding Virokoe doubles as a physical barrier as he rams into the geodude and sends it sprawling across the arena.

Roark is impressed, but we're not done here yet. “Geodude, shake it off and use rollout,” he says in a voice too calm for my tastes.

I look down to see if Kephi has any sort of reaction, only to see him raise his eyebrows with interest. Pitting a non-trained pokémon's barrier against a trained pokémon's barrier would end in disaster. We both know this. The difference is that I care, while he doesn't. It's up to me to devise a new tactic.

I scroll through the pokédex's lot of information. Virokoe's limited because he's a lower level than Kephi. Most of his attacks are normal-type attacks, which are useless against the geodude. Assist shows up—again! I'm about to break the device until I read a brief description of its purpose: ...randomly uses a move...

I read the full description. The user hurriedly and randomly uses a move among those known by other pokémon in the party. It sounds like a tactic meant for double battles, but it's about to be our secret weapon. Not only will it give us an advantage against the geodude, but also it might give Kephi some more fighting spirit.

The geodude wraps its arms around itself. It propels forward, adapts its body into a ball and aims toward Virokoe. Behind it comes along showers of sandy dust with it so that Virokoe can't see its location.

“Assist!” I yell, my voice disposing of any sanity I might have.

I wonder how the hell any trainer gets a command out fast enough in situations like this. Virokoe somehow knows what I'm talking about and gets down to business. He lifts his paw and again he glows with an aura appropriate for a vain, dark-type pokémon like him. The geodude grows closer, closer. I'm trying to figure out why nothing is happening—until a slimy, sludge-like projectile shoots forward and stops the geodude dead in its tracks. The geodude may have been prepared for sand, but poison? Not so much.

Poison.

Kephi is not happy.

“That motherfucker just used my poison sting attack, didn't he?” he asks, but he already knows the answer and is swaying back and forth, waiting for the chance to redeem himself. All he needs is my permission, and for once, he's quiet and waits for it. I get the feeling that he's been disqualified from gym battles before.

I sigh. Out of all the attacks Virokoe could have used, luck chose poison sting. The geodude remains unfazed, aside from having his face covered in the stuff, but facing real poison is a whole other story...

I look at the tepig. He's been observing all this time, saying nothing while, perhaps, judging my skills as a trainer. What do trainers do in this sort of situation? Do I adhere to my pokémon's wishes, or do I do what's necessary to win? Well... Tepig wants to see Roark's downfall, which could be the fault of any trainer. Kephi is the one who wants the badge, and to deny him of that wish is not a cruelty I could forgive myself for, not if my goal is to gain his trust back.

Because Roark had said it was allowed, I tell Virokoe to come back so that he can rest, just in case I need him later on. “How'd you know what assist does, but not sand attack?” I ask him, smiling. It's my own version of verbal praise.

“A pokémon that can use any attack in the world is special, no?” he says, shaking his body in an attempt to rid himself of the dirt.

“Er, right.” I can see where this is going.

“Just another reason I was a television star,” he says as he shrugs his shoulders and purrs with content.

“...Rest for now,” I tell him, grateful that he's pleased about his performance. Complaining would be a nuisance for more reasons that one.

My attention shifts toward Kephi. He's in the center of the arena before I can utter his name. He, too, is doing this for personal gain, rather than for me. I wonder how many trainers have relationships like this with their pokémon. Enough? Not enough? Kyurem wouldn't confess to me, that's for sure.

“I'll keep Geodude in the arena,” Roark says. “Let's get show back on the road, shall we? Rollout!”

The geodude repeats its previous attack, this time leaving sludge in its wake. Not that it matters, since poison won't work well against my starter. Kephi glances at me, accepting my silence as a command to do the same as the geodude.

Kephi rolls onto his head. Though his movements are smoother than the geodude's, the attack ends haphazardly for him. The two pokémon ram into each other and collide, a harsh sound echoing throughout the gym. Kephi skids across the jagged floor and is cut deep on his side, which bleeds and causes him to grunt with disdain. The geodude unfolds its body, revealing only the tiniest of cracks on its left arm.

“Who in their right mind raises fucking rock-types?” Kephi says, spitting out blood from his mouth. It's not the type advantage I had been hoping for, I'll give him that.

“If you were a trainer...” the tepig starts. He feels obligated to talk but doesn't finish his sentence. From the corner of my eye, I can see him pacing, torn between rooting for the misanthropic pokémon or the misanthrope himself. If Kephi wins, he comes with us and hates his teammates. If Kephi loses, he stays in Oreburgh City and hates his boss. Either way, we're all at a loss.

The tepig, however, seems to have already noticed something even deeper than this.

Kephi offers no biting remark and keeps his gaze focused on the geodude. I return Virokoe to his pokéball and tell Kephi to use screech. His antennae twitch and release loud sound waves that emanate through the air and into our ears. The geodude, with its arm injury, is unable to block out the noise completely. It wobbles and sinks closer to the ground.

Without being directed, Kephi charges forward.

“Kephi, use—” But I'm not sure what to tell him. Whatever attack he wants to use is a result of his excitement, and if I'm being truthful, I want to see what he'll come up with on his own.

So I watch and wait.

When Kephi closes in on the geodude, he jumps into the air. His body flips to the side, but it's his left side, the side that's cut and bleeding. He slams into the geodude and sends it flying backward, successfully knocking it to the ground this time.

Kephi lands on the ground, panting as he checks his wounds. The pokédex couldn't have told me that would happen.

“What attack was that?” I ask him, resisting the urge to run into the arena. He'd never forgive me if I got him disqualified at this point, though he's more concerned about his cuts than he should be...

“Shut up!” Kephi says, his shame preventing him from looking at me. “It was supposed to be my poison tail attack, but you're a genius who thinks I would slam rock-types with a damaged exoskeleton. Fucking hell...”

...Poison tail? If Kephi's body had flipped a bit more, his tails would have hit the geodude, sure. But it didn't work, and he's blaming me for it. Did he not have enough momentum? Did he change his mind halfway through? The questions reflect my wishful thinking.

I remember that poison-type attacks have been an issue from the beginning. When we met, I promised Kephi that I would help strengthen his poison-type attacks. I had been insincere, but... I have to know what's wrong if he wants me to do that.

...So why won't he tell me the problem?

We can figure it out somewhere else. Somewhere in private. “Do you want to keep battling?” I ask him instead.

“No shit,” he answers, then leans forward and waits for the next command in anticipation.

“Hold on!” Roark says, lifting his hand to get our attention. “Hold on. I can't let the battle continue, knowing your venipede is hurt like this.”

Kephi cringes. Before he can curse out the gym leader and get us banned from the gym circuit forever, I intercept. “He's scratched up, yeah, but it doesn't mean he can't—”

“No,” Roark interrupts. “That's not it. ...I'm not an expert by any means, but I suggest you take him to a Pokémon Center and request a thorough examination.”

Kephi's reaction is packed with venom. “What the fucking hell?” he says, starting forward. “I've fought tiny ass rodents better than your rock thing with arms. I ain't afraid of you, and I mean it.”

“If you were a trainer...” the tepig starts again, his expression serious, “you'd feed your pokémon. A lot.”

“Didn't I tell you to choke and die?” Kephi says, his head snapping in the tepig's direction. “Cryptic motherfuckers like you belong in crypts.”

The tepig glowers at him. “You'd feed them healthy foods. For better oxygen consumption,” he says. When Kephi's silent and pacified, he goes on, “You thought we wouldn't notice? Roark here... He makes sure all workers in the mine have weeks' worth of oxygen, food and water. Just in case an incident happens. Incidents happen, don't they, Kephi?”

“...Incidents don't happen in crypts. Would you like to join me there, asshole? No? Then shut the fuck up.”

I open my mouth to speak, but I can't find anything comforting or knowledgeable to say. Kephi just admitted that he's as good as dead. What had happened to him? Why won't anyone tell me what's going on? The tepig's messing with him, playing with his emotions like he's a rag doll... Roark's letting it happen and so am I. Why are we letting it happen?

“Okay, okay,” I say. I pick up Kephi, my only consolation being that Virokoe isn't here to see this. “I forfeit. We'll be back. ...Probably.” I turn to go, and I know it's the right choice when Kephi's too weak to wriggle out of my arms.

“Annie, wait...” the tepig calls.

But he's distant. He wants me to come back, use Virokoe to finish the deed and then end the deal by refusing to be my pokémon.

The tepig's distant... Kephi's distant... I don't know how they stay distant. All I know is that I've already started down the stairs, and I don't want to look back.

The tepig doesn't follow us and neither does Roark. I could hand Kephi over to the nurse, but I feel as if that's betraying him for some unfathomable reason. So I head to our room, set him down on the bed and demand an explanation.

“No secrets. No lies. Hey, are you listening? Don't worry about the cuts!” I say as he tries to pick at them with his fangs. I mentally scold myself and lower my voice. “I'll take care of it myself. Just tell me... whatever you need to tell me.”

He bears his fangs at me, but that's not going to scare me away at this point. I'm going to find out his secret if it's the last thing I do. To show him I'm serious, I disappear into the bathroom and pull the first-aid kit out from underneath the sink. I pull out a few cotton swabs and dab them with alcohol.

“This is going to hurt a bit,” I say, but I know he's hurting in other ways. I wipe his cuts gently as I can, pulling back when I apply too much pressure and he flinches. I'm trying to be patient as he still refuses to talk. There's not much I can do to force the truth out of him, so I tell him what I thought earlier. “I can't help you with your poison-type attacks if I don't know the problem.”

“You wouldn't help me, even if you knew.”

Kephi's statement might be true. It hits me, then, that he might not be telling me because I've been lying to him since we met. What can I say? What can I do? “I'll do what I can, okay?” is all I can promise at this point.

Kephi sighs. “My poison comes—or should come—from certain glands located throughout my body. Needless to say, those glands don't work the way they should. My whole body doesn't work the way it should.”

“But why?”

“Are you going to keep asking like a bitch until I tell you?” he says, flinching again.

“Be nice. And yes, I'm going to keep asking.”

He's quiet for a while, thinking, hopefully about how to phrase his story. When he speaks, all he says is, “You should put me back into the wild.”

“If you're in deep trouble like Roark says, you'll die,” I tell him. The statement is painful and honest, because that's what would get to me and if any part of Kyurem wants me to succeed, it'll get to Kephi too. For ten long, silent minutes, I wonder if he'll speak. I wonder what happens to the two of us if he doesn't.

But finally, he talks. He rarely stops to take a breath, or else he'll never finish what he needs to stay and then he'll take the rest with him to his grave.

Kephi's curse began, of course, due to him being part poison-type. He was captured by a licensed hunter in Unova, then was taught how to control his poison-type attacks with great precision. His job as a trained pokémon was to inject fast-killing poison into prey otherwise destined to die a slow, agonizing death.

“He just had to choose me, didn't he? Hell if I know why,” he says as I finish doing what I can for his wounds. He scuttles to the other side of the room, just to be away from me.

Kephi goes on. He doesn't mention what it's like to kill, or to watch death happen.

Once, his trainer killed a pokémon outside of the regulated hunting area. Nearby townspeople heard the gunshot and reported the hunter. His hunting license was revoked, but he continued to hunt anyway, which forced the police to send out a warrant for his arrest.

To avoid being caught, he traveled to Sinnoh and took Kephi with him.

“I'll tell you what,” Kephi says. “You humans have shitty international laws. The hunting range near Twinleaf Town didn't even see his records. The workers signed him a brand new license and let him go on his merry way.”

But his trainer became smarter. He stopped using guns. Instead he paid a Sinnohan breeder for a pokémon strong enough to defeat tough opponents. The idea was to blame any further incidents on pokémon battles.

“He didn't train me more because it would take too long. Had the nerve to call me a slow learner to my face. And then there's the stereotypes about poison-types...” His voice trails off, and I try not to panic, wondering if that's the end of what he'll share. Luckily, it's not. “So he got Leann.”

Leann, a scyther, knew her role and did it well, yet defied it at the same time. She sliced through vital organs without hesitation, but told Kephi not to look; she allowed her opponents one last wish, but never let Kephi carry them out; she accepted their trainer's scoldings, but never let Kephi take the beatings. She did what was necessary to survive and keep her dignity at the same time. Leann, this strong creature who embodied both life and death so readily, became Kephi's idol. She was everything he wanted to be, but couldn't be.

The team made their way through Sinnoh, careful to stay within bounds so as to not attract the wrong kind of attention. Leann went from annihilating innocent bidoof to engaging in rigorous scuffles with psychic bronzong. A year later they reached Victory Road, an area that encouraged hunting to unload the burden on gym circuit trainers. Here, Leann's skills were stretched past their limits.

Kephi pauses, then says, “She fell, and she fell fast. She was strong, but not strong enough. And of course, neither was I.”

The disastrous pokémon was a rhyperior. It was furious from having its home invaded and family endangered. It was also twice her size and had the capacity to destroy its enemy without thinking of the consequences. Leann's scythes were battered, bent and then broken. Without her weapon of choice, her body was smashed, crumpled and also broken.

The rhyperior, though emotional, didn't stick around to eliminate Kephi or his trainer. His trainer, unfazed and loyal to the profession as ever, wanted to take Leann's life before nature could. He went to his backpack and pulled out a short needle, along with a vial of poison he had extracted from Kephi's body once.

“I had forgotten the damn thing existed,” Kephi says, looking down. “He didn't give me a choice like he usually did. He just fucking took what belonged to me and was about to make me her killer without my consent. ...I asked myself what Leann would do in this situation. The answer came easily enough: she'd do anything to keep herself alive, anything to make either of us reconsider.”

Kephi's trainer was nice about it, initially. His trainer, a strict man who thought of opinions as signs of disobedience, heard none of Kephi's pleas. He went to Leann, as if this was the simplest job he ever had. To him, standard protocol was everything.

“He wouldn't listen. So I leapt at him.”

Kephi had no other choice but to use a poison-type attack. Though that meant killing his trainer, he had no other power within him he could summon and use on demand.

The first poison tail attack struck his trainer's arm. Kephi was out of practice, but he refused to yield and injected the only kind of dose he knew how to manage—a lethal dose. His trainer smacked him on the side with his free arm and released himself from his grasp. His trainer panicked—it was the only time I ever saw him panic—and fled the rhyperior's cave, going to the nearest stream several yards away. He flushed his wound with water, hoping to dilute the poison.

“When I caught up with him, the bastard was pulling out another vial. An antidote, I assume. As if he knew I'd turn on him one day. Well, whose fucking fault was that?”

Kephi admits that he deserves part of the blame. The predator within him took control as he left Leann without checking her pulse. The only thought on his mind was death—but not Leann's, and certainly not his own.

The second poison tail attack failed. Kephi never once considered his trainer wearing hidden plate armor to prevent himself from getting shot. The trainer, having known Kephi for years and having been able to predict this kind of chase, used their location to his advantage. He used his free arm again, this time to strike Kephi between the eyes, paralyzing him long enough to push him in the water.

He pushed Kephi deeper and deeper. He kept Kephi there, trying to dilute the poison-type's poison.

“I thought I was going to die...” Kephi says, “and I almost did.”

Kephi smiles. Oh, Arceus, he smiles. He goes on, his voice becoming otherworldly, something I can't quite grasp.

It's true. You do see your life flash before your eyes—

You see a light. You see a Being of Light. I went to that light—

Then suddenly, I saw Leann and me. One last time. Except this time, I did kill her. Quick and heartless—

I couldn't die yet. I had to know if it was true. I don't know how you fight a Being of Light, but I sure as hell did it and—

I woke up in the Pokémon Center and I haven't seen her or my trainer since

By the end of his story I'm spacing out. Not because I don't care, but because I can't imagine this happening to anyone, least of all to my starter. It doesn't matter if he's vulgar and thinks only of himself. He used to be much more than that, and here I am, learning about how his life had been stripped away in the most unbearable way...

A near-death experience was the last thing I wanted to hear about, yet Kephi's gave the details like it was no big deal. If anything rules me, it's not Kyurem. I don't control myself either. There's some inconceivable, untouchable aspect of life I can't beat, and here it is. Here it has been. Here it always will be.

...I can't imagine. Or can I, if I try? Could it be so easy as imagining a tournament or a gym battle? There's Kephi, eyes shimmering with admiration. There's Leann, moving wondrously, in sync even with unfamiliar opponents. And then there's chaos, confusion that defines the center of adrenaline, and a figurative explosion during which a simple act of protection led Kephi to see what very few have seen before.

I can't imagine it, can I? Can I capture this feeling, this intense expression of grief that Kephi's been showing me from the start?

My mind derails. I'm somewhere else. Not with Kephi, because Kephi's not real. My empathy is running thin, it seems. I can't beautify the pattern of love, loss and hope. I know about the onset of disorders, how to find the signs, how to accept those signs and how to treat them. I know how to make the disorder go into remission, though relapse can happen. But somehow I've forgotten all this. I've been toying with tolerance, reveling in neglect.

I can't help Kephi. I'm a fraud without a neurotic's past. I pretend to have some sweet charm. But all that I've learned... in school, in practice with my family and pokémon... It's all foreign to me. I belong somewhere else—just as Kephi and Virokoe and Tepig belong in Unova, or home—but I don't know if there's anywhere else I could go besides Kyurem's ice cavern. There, I'd grasp at the promise of healing and wait for that promise to ring true. It's not much different from what I'm doing now.

I can't pretend to be anyone else right now either. The real me asked for Kephi's poison to be removed. The real me wanted Kephi to be punished for not helping during the lake incident. Both wishes came true.

I tell myself to love Kephi anyway. Solid, frozen devotion is what he and the others need from me. I tell myself that the reward will be sweeter than anything I've ever experienced before. And I don't mean the reward of being alive, but rather the reward of happiness.

I look at Kephi. I'm a wreck and he may or may not be wanting some sign of acknowledgment. “I'm sorry, Kephi,” I say. “I can't imagine. I really, really can't imagine.”

“He killed pokémon as a sport and I could see you doing the same. How does that feel?”

It feels like both of our heartbeats are slowing down. I feel like there's nowhere to go from here, though it isn't true.

...Would things be better if there was a right way to go about things, an obvious path for me to follow?

“I can't imagine,” I say again, because that, at least, is true.

Kephi snorts. “The Pokémon Center treated the oxygen deprivation effects with physical therapy. Now I can move well enough, but not always. They released me, told me to keep practicing and to eat lots of healthy foods—for oxygen consumption, as the pig said. Easy thing to do, out in the wild. But because of my past, they just wouldn't repair my poison glands.”

I say nothing. The way he moves nonstop, the way he leaves slime everywhere, the way he eats like his stomach is bottomless, the way he wants to fight to prove he's worth something... It all makes sense, somewhere in my brain.

“I came with you because trainers have authority. You could save money for an operation. Instruct me. Something. Like he did. Except it seems you'll fuck up too.” He sighs. “Trainers like you and him should never know how easy you are to need.”

His words are an admission of surrender, and there's an imagined hint of forgiveness laced within.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

Chapters 1-6 have been edited. Grammatical/spelling errors, awkward sentence structure, and other such problems were my main focus.

No need to re-read, but I did add bits about Virokoe not reflecting on his almost-death during the lake incident in chapter 5. Will be explored further in chapter 8, if all goes according to plan.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
diampondpearl876 said:
Kephi's response is immediate. “No,” he says.

That made me laugh, though I can imagine him saying, "No, try again *****"

He gives me the most feral glare he can muster

My new kitten gave me one of those earlier this morning when I took away the toilet paper roll he was playing with -.-

Virokoe's head snaps up, his face splattered with catnip

I don't know if splattered is the right word, as catnip is an herb. Solid and grainy like oregano or other ground up leafy herbs. You might try sprinkled or something like that instead of splattered

“Pursuit is a special attack. It means I chase after treasures nonstop,” he says.

For some reason that wording heightens her immaturity for me. Chase after treasures is something a child would say. I don't know if you intentionally put that there for that reason but it worked really well. Or I might be reading too much into it lol

familiar to me—Addison Gale

Why does that name sound so familiar. Has she been mentioned here before? Or in one of your other stories? I can't place it but I really feel like I know it

“Choke on it next time.”

God that's an amazing burn. Somehow you always make always his retorts sound so natural and genuine. I would love to hang out with him lol

Virokoe stares at me. “Are you sure about this? I mean, there's dirt out there.

I want to punch him in the face

Small trickles of water fall from its eyelids

Do you mean tears? lol the water phrasing confused me for a bit. Unless you did mean water, which in that case, I'd be interested to see your take on Geodude physiology

. I watch as his whole body glows with a dark, purple aura that prevents any of us from deciphering his intentions. In one brisk motion, he seemingly glides toward the geodude, who drops the rock in an attempt to keep himself from getting hurt. The aura surrounding Virokoe doubles as a physical barrier as he rams into the geodude and sends it sprawling across the arena.

Wonderful description of pursuit. I really liked your take on it.

I wonder how the hell any trainer gets a command out fast enough in situations like this.

I was just thinking that Annie is moving and reacting to slowly for this so I'm glad you commented on it. It highlights her inexperience and immaturity when it comes to battling while at the same time making sure our head stays in the battle that's happening. Great job!

“That mother****er just used my poison sting attack, didn't he?” he asks

Omg that's ****ing hilarious

The pokédex couldn't have told me that would happen.

I know that's an observation from her but I feel like it's not really needed. It kinda takes away from what's actually happening

Cryptic mother****ers like you belong in crypts

I can't stop laughing. So hilarious

Leann, a scyther, knew her role and did it well, yet defied it at the same time. She sliced through vital organs without hesitation, but told Kephi not to look; she allowed her opponents one last wish, but never let Kephi carry them out; she accepted their trainer's scoldings, but never let Kephi take the beatings. She did what was necessary to survive and keep her dignity at the same time. Leann, this strong creature who embodied both life and death so readily, became Kephi's idol. She was everything he wanted to be, but couldn't be.

Gorgeous story, I love it. No wonder he idolized her. It's always really pleasing to feel your heart tugged on in just a few sentences. I love it

I can't pretend to be anyone else right now. The real me asked for Kephi's poison to be removed. The real me wanted Kephi to be punished for not helping during the lake incident

That's really sad :(

It's realistic but at the same time seemed so otherworldly the way Kephi explained everything. The way he explained his brush with death was so riveting that I was glued to the screen. I think it really worked because of the fragmented way he spoke and the short length of the sentences. For me it made it more powerful and gripping. Hope that made sense lol

Trainers like you and him should never know how easy you are to need

Nicely done. Very powerful statement. I never expected Kephi to be that honest and sincere. Loved it

diamondpearl876

That made me laugh, though I can imagine him saying, "No, try again *****"

That's essentially what he was saying. xD Damnit, Kephi!

My new kitten gave me one of those earlier this morning when I took away the toilet paper roll he was playing with -.-

I'll gladly take him off your hands if he annoys you too much. ;)

I don't know if splattered is the right word, as catnip is an herb. Solid and grainy like oregano or other ground up leafy herbs. You might try sprinkled or something like that instead of splattered

I had trouble thinking of a word. Thanks!

For some reason that wording heightens her immaturity for me. Chase after treasures is something a child would say. I don't know if you intentionally put that there for that reason but it worked really well. Or I might be reading too much into it lol

Intentional. ;)

Why does that name sound so familiar. Has she been mentioned here before? Or in one of your other stories? I can't place it but I really feel like I know it

I've not mentioned it before, but it shows up later in the story.

God that's an amazing burn. Somehow you always make always his retorts sound so natural and genuine. I would love to hang out with him lol

You want to hang out with a poisonous/vulgar jerk? You're strange, pair. :D

I want to punch him in the face

But not Kephi? Damn.

Do you mean tears? lol the water phrasing confused me for a bit. Unless you did mean water, which in that case, I'd be interested to see your take on Geodude physiology

I just don't know why I put "water".

Wonderful description of pursuit. I really liked your take on it.

Not my take - that would be Beth Pavell's over at Bulbagarden, though the writing was my own.

I was just thinking that Annie is moving and reacting to slowly for this so I'm glad you commented on it. It highlights her inexperience and immaturity when it comes to battling while at the same time making sure our head stays in the battle that's happening. Great job!

Ah, glad someone likes the inexperience.

I know that's an observation from her but I feel like it's not really needed. It kinda takes away from what's actually happening

Noted. I tend to do that kind of stuff a lot during action scenes, it seems.

Gorgeous story, I love it. No wonder he idolized her. It's always really pleasing to feel your heart tugged on in just a few sentences. I love it

That's really sad :(

It's realistic but at the same time seemed so otherworldly the way Kephi explained everything. The way he explained his brush with death was so riveting that I was glued to the screen. I think it really worked because of the fragmented way he spoke and the short length of the sentences. For me it made it more powerful and gripping. Hope that made sense lol

Nicely done. Very powerful statement. I never expected Kephi to be that honest and sincere. Loved it

"Otherworldly" is a good way to put it. Writing this section was the highlight of the chapter for me, but it was also a challenge. Two people have liked it so far, one didn't. So I'm still not sure how to feel about it. Thanks for your comments as always!

diamondpearl876

chapter eight
everybody's fool

*​

Kephi falls asleep shortly after his confession, and I leave him alone. I don't want to be alone, so I release Virokoe for the first time since fleeing Roark's gym. I expect a face full of feline claws, but he just goes slinking toward the bathroom to start his own bath. When he can't do it, he doesn't ask me for help. He sighs and tells me that he heard the whole conversation between me and Kephi. I had forgotten how pokémon can understand their surroundings, even when recalled... At least I don't have to explain everything to Virokoe, but it was meant to be a private moment between me and Kephi. I had even failed at that.

I demand an early bedtime from Virokoe and he listens. I don't sleep, so I notice Kephi when he wakes up in the middle of the night. He looks at me, shakes his head, then crawls under the bed to hide. Silence lays over the room like a poison, seeping from the ceiling and onto the bed, my pokédex, Virokoe's food bowl, the TV. Nothing seems safe here, and it's all I can do to not bolt out the door and make my way back to cozy, familiar Sandgem Town. I sneak out of the Pokémon Center room, passing by Nurse Joy who tells me breakfast will be ready soon. I'm halfway to the local pharmacy when I come across a closed bar with the neon lights shut off and the stools sitting inside, unmoving and bored. Shelves upon shelves of opened liquor bottles remind me of the my old job at the Little Scrafty Bar and how I had told Gregory about concealing a knife when I worked by myself at night. The dull weight that used to press down on my pockets makes me wonder if I could ever be like Kephi's trainer, as Kephi had not-so-nicely implied.

I keep walking. When I finally get to the store, I open the door and jump a bit when the bell overhead rings to announce my arrival. No one looks up, though. It's early and the workers are busy stocking merchandise while the pharmacists count pills. Usually I'd buy my prescriptions and get the hell out, but that's not what I'm here for this time. I haven't even filled out the health charts Gregory gave me before I was discharged from the hospital. Instead I go to the drink section and get myself a cappuccino, then a pack of cigarettes from behind the counter.

Outside the air feels crisp and cold against my skin, but it's not enough to keep me from taking a cigarette from the carton and lighting it. My lips curl around the end of the cigarette and I take a breath, deep enough to feel a small spark in my chest, soft and safe and warm as candlelight. The smoke floats out of my mouth and twists in that strange way it always does, forming swirls that disappear—to where, I don't know. Drops of water in the smoke evaporate and become water vapor; particles made of ash separate and become part of the atmosphere. But where in the atmosphere they go to, I don't know.

And that's the end of my logic. That's the thing about philosophy—there's not always a valid conclusion to be found. They say that life is stronger than death, for example, so then life should always be stronger than death. But what if death is stronger than life? Because, as terrifying as that sounds, I think death's had a hold on me this entire time. My perspective is wrong and skewed; I don't know anything. I don't know if I'll ever feel this way again, this desire to smoke and see my pokémon happy. And I'll definitely never know why I have those desires only when I know I've screwed up.

When I'm done with the cigarette I drop it to the ground and stomp on it to keep the grass from catching fire. Oreburgh doesn't need another major catastrophe happening anytime soon. Soon I'm back at the Pokémon Center, and I take notice of the long line leading into the breakfast room. It looks like Kephi will have to make do without sausage biscuits this morning.

Upstairs I see Kephi trying to get to the top of the dresser and Virokoe sprawled on my side of the bed, awake. Neither of them ask about my disappearance. It happens too often, which is bad... but it's as safe place to leave them as any, right?

“Do you even lock the door when you go out?” Kephi says, glowering at me.

Okay, so maybe it's not so safe after all. “Of course not,” I say. “What if Nurse Joy knew?”

“That's right. What if she did know?”

“Are you threatening me, mister?”

“I won't tell if you feed me some fucking food like a trainer should.”

I sigh and try to pry him off the dresser, but he doesn't let go until after a tug of war battle. The coffee machine almost topples over and I grab it before it does. I take him over to my backpack, too tired to scold him, and pull out all the snacks I bought for myself but never ate while traveling. There's beef jerky, nuts and other dry foods. The baked goods had grown stale, and I threw them away.

“Help yourself to trainer food,” I say, shrugging my shoulders and rifling through the store's plastic bag. I put the pack of cigarettes on the dresser, which takes a little bit of effort since no one's known about my disgusting habit until now. The cappuccino feels cool in my hand as I open it and take a big gulp.

Kephi stares at the dresser. “I want tea,” he says. “Hot tea, boiled just right and with two lumps of sugar.”

“Tall order, don't ya think?”

He manages a half-grin. “Heh. I guess.”

“Besides, that's a coffee machine.”

“I'm sure there's tea in the lobby,” he says, his grin fading.

Kephi's statement is so calm and actually helpful, I almost spit out my drink and ask him to repeat himself. “What's gotten into you?”

His face turns into a scowl. “I'm dying to be like you. Caffeine and nicotine? Fantastic combination.”

Fair enough. So he had noticed the cigarettes and now he knows my secret—one of them, at least. I was the first to have heard of his past, as far as I know. It's not quite the fairest of trades, but we can work on it over time.

“Why didn't you ask for tea before today?”

“You wouldn't have made it the right way,” Kephi says, looking down to the floor. Virokoe peers up from the bed, gauging the tension in the room. This should be normal bickering, but Kephi's tone tells me there's more to it this time around.

“I'll figure it out,” I say. Kephi should know by now that being vague will get him nowhere with me, and I'm unable to hide the annoyance in my voice. If Kephi hears it, he doesn't say so, but Virokoe hangs his head low.

Self-sabotage. That's what pokémon training is. Reality had come to me without a moment's notice back when I had that stroke, simply to shove the concept of love and other nightmares in my face. The universe was conspiring to tell me that, well, if I can't hate my family, and if I can't hate myself, then I should hate the only promising things left in my life. Or something like that.

“Oh, no,” Kephi says as soon as I say we need to see the tepig again. “No, no, no.”

I sigh. That's exactly the reaction he had when he first learned my plan to catch the tepig. Since then the hatred between them has worsened beyond belief, to the point where they've made threats in response to the other's insults. It's even harder to believe my starter would fill the whole city with poison gas, just to get back at a lone enemy. Kephi knows obedience and discipline. He knows determination. He doesn't know vengeance, and I'd like to keep it that way. And anyway, he couldn't do it even if he wanted to. The reminder is comforts me a little, but not by much.

“We're just going to see Tepig. Definitely not Roark. That'd be embarrassing.”

“That's a goddamn understatement. You weren't even the one who looked like a fool during the fight.”

...And yeah, there was the fight too. The tepig was cunning, speaking with delicacy and deliberation, and using words that couldn't be understood by anyone but Kephi. It must have made Kephi feel alone and helpless during the gym battle, which he had been looking forward to for weeks. Tepig knows how to command others. He knows how to strike a chord. He doesn't know subtlety, and to take him in means betraying my starter. This thought brings no comfort to me.

“That's true... but I'll still take part of the blame,” I say, managing a smile. “We'll train you up next time.”

“Next time?” Kephi mutters.

“Um, yeah. Why not?”

He doesn't answer. There's a million things I could say to encourage him, but nothing sounds right. Hey, we need that badge if we want to become champions one day! You've gotta show that Roark jerk who's boss! Imagine fame and fortune, glory and power! But to Kephi, those statements might be discouraging more than anything. I can identify, at least, with the blow to his pride. Except my pride is more like some idiopathic, egotistical nonsense. Either way I have no remedy, no magical cure like Kyurem might.

The mines are coming into view. The foul air closes in and has me feeling claustrophobic and wishing for the release of another cigarette. Dust beneath us stirs as we move through the rocky terrain. I pick up Virokoe without him asking, to prevent his feet from getting dirty. His eyes widen in surprise, and he's about to complain when I pat him on the nose as a warning.

When we find him, the tepig's just gotten back from the convenience store with everyone's lunches. As usual, the workers seem downtrodden and unmotivated, even though the food is supposed to give them energy. I don't know how the tepig does it. He trains himself and takes care of himself, as if he's both a pokémon and a trainer. Kephi and Virokoe and me... All three of us combined couldn't accomplish in our lifetimes what the tepig can do in a single day.

The tepig hears our footsteps and trots over to us. “Oh, there you guys are,” he says, though his gaze is focused on Kephi.

“You knew we'd be coming, huh?” I say, kneeling down and whispering so the workers can't overhear.

“Yeah... So, how are you doing?” he asks, turning to Kephi. He's being far too kind from the get-go, and I'm not quite sure why.

Kephi's answer is quick. “Fine,” he says with an edge in his voice.

The tepig does a double-take. “You don't look fine,” he says, referring to the bandages on the poison-type's body.

“Everything's just fabulous.”

Kephi's snide behavior makes me wonder if his trainer ever had him kill a tepig before. Kephi had recognized the Unovan pokémon right away, after all. I shake my head as soon as the thought comes, but it's too late. An image of a the pig's decayed body is stuck and I don't know if I'll ever be able to think of my team the same way when they're together. But if I leave Tepig behind... If I never come back for Tepig... What happens then, Kyurem?

At least I have a plan for the rematch. I won't half-ass it like I did before. I mean, what kind of trainer faces a gym leader for their very first battle? I don't know what I was thinking, but I know now that I can't afford to keep messing up.

Virokoe jumps out of my arms and glares at the tepig. “What do you think you're doing?” he says, growling like a menace.

“Taking care of your teammate.”

“After that whole gym scene!”

“What of it?” the tepig replies, calm as ever.

Virokoe's body relaxes and he stops growling. He had expected the tepig to back down after his display of dominance, but he realized that things weren't working in his favor.

“...Do you have the treasure from the gym? Annie said there'd be one.”

I have to stifle a giggle. Virokoe's attempts at civility are always innocent, but they're bound to get him in trouble someday.

“Treasure?”

“The gym badge,” I say. “It's shiny and round. Perfect for a purrloin like Virokoe.”

Virokoe nods.

“Actually...” the tepig says, grinning slightly, “it's even shaped like a treasure chest. And it's really shiny, yes.”

“You mean it?” Virokoe asks, ears perking up.

“Yes, yes. Since it's a rock-type gym, though, the badges are always speckled with a bit of dirt.”

“Oh...”

Kephi snorts. “He's making fun of you, you fucking prissy,” he says.

“What do trainers do with gym badges, anyway?” the tepig says, ignoring Kephi.

It's my turn to contribute to the conversation. “Oh, uh, we keep them safe in a case until we collect all eight and then we challenge the Elite Four...” I trail off, unsure of what I'm saying makes any sense to him.

“Okay. But I think Kephi here would want to eat them, or save them for later. We can pin them on his antennae and—”

“Up yours, asshole. How's that sound?”

I need a cigarette. I pull out the carton from my pocket and, still kneeling down, hold out the cigarette to the tepig, hoping he gets distracted. He nods to me and opens his mouth, exhaling the smallest of flames and just long enough to light the cigarette. I inhale and exhale, watching a ribbon of smoke slither toward the tepig.

The fire silences Kephi. Will he ever get over his weakness to fire and fire-types? If I could only bring the tepig along and teach them to behave around each other...

But I can't. Not yet, or maybe not ever.

I take my finger and put it under the tepig's chin, forcing him to look at me. He raises an eyebrow in confusion.

“Your name is Obieme,” I say, holding the cigarette away from him. “I still want you to be my pokémon. We'll train. We'll come back, beat Roark, and then you'll come with. Do we have a deal?”

“Uh huh...”

“Great!” I say, standing up. I try not to make a run for it. The mines are a horrible place to be, and the cigarette isn't helping as much as I'd like.

“Well, of course the deal we made before is still in effect. But... Obieme?”

“What? You don't like it? It means 'strong heart' in Kalosian.”

“I'm sure it does.” He pauses. “Come back some other time, okay? And remember that trainers aren't just pet owners. They're leaders too.”

I frown. Kephi snorts again, but offers nothing constructive to the conversation. Apparently the tepig considers Kephi's shortcomings to be my fault, my problem. He doesn't know the half of it.

I put out the cigarette when the stick becomes so short it might burn me. It's time to move on, whatever that means. I shouldn't have thought I'd get so lucky three times in a row. Who do we think we are, anyway, bargaining our lives away when Kyurem's watching?

I'm confident as we leave the city, because we've been down this road before and I know Oreburgh Gate isn't really a gate at all. It's more like a tunnel that somehow settled between Route 203 and Oreburgh City just to scare newbie trainers away when they look straight ahead and into impenetrable darkness. This time we're not here with Gregory to lead the way, so to prepare I bought a lantern and some matches, along with some rope in case we have to climb our way out for whatever reason. A canteen of water rests in my backpack, nestled next to the leftover snacks Kephi hadn't eaten this morning. The extra shopping trip might have been a waste of time and money, but Gregory would say it was better to be safe than sorry.

We're a bit into the cave when I tell my pokémon to wait a minute. Kephi's about to protest, and I try to rub him between his antennae like Gregory had done to placate him. Before I can do that he scuttles off and zigzags between the stones littered on the hard, muddy floor. Watching him from the corner of my eye to make sure he doesn't run away, I push our supplies out of the way so I can grab my pokédex from the bottom of my backpack. I flip it open and warn Virokoe to be quiet as I make a quick call while we still have a phone signal.

Gregory answers the phone, a hint of confusion in his voice. He's used to me pressing the emergency button.

“Are you with a client?” It's entirely possible, but I realize I don't care too much. “I hope not, because I need to talk to you.”

“I am not. What's the problem today, Miss Willems?”

“The usual.”

“Ah, yes. The usual.”

“Hey, can you meet me in Floaroma Town in a few days?” I look down to see Virokoe sniffing the ground, presumably searching for some kind of hidden artifact you're supposed to find in caves. I'm getting better at keeping my pokémon calm, but Gregory has more experience. Gregory can help me. “I need help with training,” I add without a proper explanation.

“Training is part of the pokémon training experience, Miss Willems.”

“It's Annie. And I need special occupational therapy training or something like that.” I make sure Kephi's out of hearing range and say, “For my venipede.” I go through a quick rundown of my first gym battle, how I had to forfeit because of Kephi's disabilities, which I hadn't known about until that night. I spare him the gritty details and he seems to understand well enough, since he works with this kind of stuff every day. “...My venipede really needs it,” I finish lamely.

“Hmm, all right. See you then,” Gregory says, then hangs up.

I stare at my phone, angry that he had vanished on me just like that. We hadn't even set up a time or location to meet at, and he hadn't told me what he was planning for Kephi! But then again, I had only called Gregory out of fear. I'm afraid I'm not cut out for being a part of any health care profession, and I'm certainly not cut out for being a trainer. Maybe he had sensed that fear in my voice and decided to leave me to my own devices. Some doctor he is.

I can't think too much about it. We move on because we have to. When we're no longer able to use the light pouring in from the cave's entrance, I turn on the lantern. The cave's interior is illuminated by a flickering orange glow, and in a moment a flock of zubat swoop by in a desperate attempt to escape back into the blackness. The shock of it almost makes me drop the lantern, and then I scan the area for Kephi and Virokoe. They're a few meters ahead of me, peering back at me as if I'm dumb.

“Scared of all poison-types, I see,” Kephi says.

“Shut it. I am not.” I'm only afraid of poison-types that don't know they have the power to kill me, like the one in front of me. I stand up, dust myself off and jog over to them, deciding to pay Virokoe some attention. “Are you excited to see Jubilife again?”

“Huh?” he says, his head snapping in my direction. “It hasn't been that long.”

“Oh.” That's good, because he shouldn't be showing his cute face in Jubilife anyway. “...You know I'll have to return you to your pokéball most of the time, right?”

Virokoe shrugs. “I've seen it all.”

I motion for him to continue, but he doesn't. “I don't get it,” I say.

“I've been everywhere!” he says, with dramatic flare. “I even went to places built only for humans. I did commercials for the Jubilife Brewery. It has the oldest brand of beer in Sinnoh, or whatever. You should go there, get some more of it and let me roam around.”

More of it? I hadn't had any to begin with. “Um, Virokoe?” I say. “I don't drink beer...” And I definitely wasn't letting him out in public where anyone might recognize him. ...Who knew what kind of reward there was for turning in the stolen TV star?

“...You mean that wasn't what you were drinking this morning? That's what the directors always drank after filming a commercial.”

Kephi's about to laugh at Virokoe for mixing up coffee and beer, and I glare at him. The director's actions makes sense, though, except I smoke to deal with their antics. “So, what else is there to see?” I say after a while.

“A lot, of course! There's a ton of street vendors trying to sell their own version of Jubilife's famous white chocolate biscuits, and there's some festivals every winter, but I haven't been to one because it's always too cold for my fur and—”

Fucking baby. I've heard enough from you,” Kephi says.

Virokoe's instinct is to hiss and pounce, backing up the poison-type against the jagged wall of the cave. Kephi crawls up the wall and growls too. Darting forward, I'm able to stop the two from picking a fight, but just barely. Virokoe's far too defensive when it comes to his hometown. Why, then, had he agreed to go with me so readily?

“You're much nicer than that imbecile, Annie! Not by much, though.”

“Such a compliment,” Kephi says, rolling his eyes.

I have to agree with him on this one. “...Thanks, guys,” I say.

“Anyway, there's the school for fancy kids and the roads are like those in Unova...” And then he trails off. He moves around in my arms, trying to get comfortable, but he can't seem to find a perfect position so he hops down and walks through the dirty gravel. He offers an apology to Kephi, which is is unnerving, as is his sudden carelessness toward his cleanliness. What's gotten into him now?

Jubilife isn't too far past Oreburgh Gate, but we take the long way around to avoid the lake where the golduck incident happened. The new path is boring and has no landmarks, only tall grass stretching toward the sky. It occurs to me at some point that golduck can survive on land as well as water, and it makes me want to recall my pokémon in case one is hiding nearby. When I ask, of course, my pokémon refuse. Kephi threatens to bite me on the leg if I do and Virokoe simply shakes his head, but I assume he doesn't want to hear more chaos ensue and not be able to do anything about it.

“When we reach Jubilife, though...” I start, hoping he understands without me having to finish the sentence.

“Yes, as you said before,” Virokoe mumbles.

“It'll be fine! We'll breeze right through the city and sleep in the next route...” I say, “or is that worse? I know you don't like lying on the grass for so long.”

“That's true... Well, I can't win, can I?”

“Not really. Not if you don't want to be noticed.”

Virokoe sighs, and I think he's going to quit talking again when he says, “Being in a pokéball is like... I don't know... Like being nowhere at all. Like how I felt when almost died in that lake the other day, right?”

“What? Y-Yeah, I guess so...” I say. It's my go-to reply when someone speaks about anything relating to death. It's like a reflex these days. He's right, but he hadn't cared about almost dying then, so why now? Because Spectra isn't here to distract him? Oh, Arceus. I might need Gregory sooner than I thought...

Or maybe this has something to do with Kephi's near-death experience. It's easy to ignore someone else's problem until it happens to yourself as well.

Virokoe forgets about the topic of death and goes on. “Whenever people pet me in Jubilife, they'd rip out my fur, and how dare they! I always had to wear an insane amount of make-up to cover the naked patches.” I had seen that happen in-person when trying to catch him, but I don't mention this. “And being at the school was no help... The kids had no choice to behave, but then I saw their parents while my own parents were missing. Mine are missing.”

He's quiet for a moment, staring at me expectantly. “The police will find them, Virokoe,” is all I can manage.

He laughs. “You know, I left Jubilife because I don't really like attention. Can you believe that! Did you actually think you were convincing? Because right now, your acting is terrible.”

“No, but... I took you so I could help you as soon as possible.”

“And Kephi?”

It's the first time he's addressed his teammate by name. I smile. “We all need help,” I say.

And it's true. I'm everybody's fool; Virokoe wears more than one mask; and Kephi's got more secrets than I can count. I knew it when we all first met. I know it now and all I can do is hope whatever I have planned works out.

A city is usually calm during nighttime, but there's still lights coming from apartments, restaurants, and late-night bars. Music comes in the form of laughter from fancily dressed passers-by and the city smells like perfume. The sidewalk leads us to a series of alleyways where we can stay out of trouble. Anyone could see Virokoe and declare me a thief on the spot. The chilly air softens my nerves as I take a pair of scissors and poke holes into my backpack so that Virokoe can hide inside and see what's going on.

“You owe me for this one, mister...” I mumble to him as he crawls inside, purring all the while.

I put the backpack on, careful not to wriggle it around too much and cause the purrloin to cry out in annoyance. Kephi stays close by as we make our way past numerous flat-roofed buildings to find the 24-hour pokémart. Unluckily for us, Jubilife is a complicated maze full of streets and empty booths for daytime vendors. Starly sit on the power lines, some sleeping, others alert with their beady eyes following our every movement. I walk faster and Kephi prepares a poison sting attack to make them scatter.

When we reach the pokémart, we nearly pass it because it's nondescript, wedged between two taller business buildings. Inside the cashier is by himself and is mopping the floor. The rest of the store looks clean enough, except the items on display are crammed together rather than arranged by color or something else artistic. The cashier comes over to us, telling us to watch our step. He has curly black hair that reaches down past his shoulders and a heartfelt smile that frames his narrow face nicely. He's wearing a white apron with a black undershirt and trousers. I smile back and tell him I want to know about his TM selection. Straightaway he advertises incredible attacks such as thunder and ice beam, and I know this won't be a pleasant shopping trip.

“I don't have an electric- or ice-type...” I say, yawning before I can tell him about my starter.

“What about flamethrower? A fire-type that uses this move has a good chance of burning the opponent!” the cashier says, too enthusiastic and determined to argue.

“I don't have a fire-type pokémon either,” I say. Not yet, anyway. “What about poison-type attacks?”

Kephi's antennae twitch. I hadn't told him about my plan, and he had thought we just needed supplies before moving on to Floaroma Town.

The cashier frowns, then blinks. “I'm afraid all we have is poison jab. That attack has a high chance of poisoning the opponent.” He peers over the counter to get a look at Kephi. “We only recommend it for highly skilled or evolved poison-types.”

“What the fuck is this guy on about?” Kephi snarls. “Buy it, Annie.”

So I do. It's the first step toward recovering my lost relationship with my starter. The cashier is happy to sell it to us, but he doesn't let us leave without having us glance at the other merchandise he has on sale. He should be more artistic with his display cases if he wants customers to look. I wave him away and speed out the door, glad to be alone with my pokémon. Other people are exhausting sometimes.

Outside Kephi's eager to learn poison jab straightaway. He doesn't insult me or my plan or anything, and instead he jumps around, his movements spastic and haphazard, as if he's letting go and not caring what strange movements he's making.

I hold the strange circular machine in my hand, its edges smooth and its surface shiny. “What am I supposed to do with this...” I say because, of course, the darn thing didn't come with an instruction manual.

Kephi rolls his eyes. “Just put it on the ground.”

I do, and in an instant he's crawling all over it, getting his slime on the thing and if he ruins it, that's three thousand pokédollars down the drain

But he doesn't ruin it. Instead he stops abruptly and his face is full of shock, as if he had just experienced an epiphany that would change his life forever. Deep down I hope that's true, but things aren't so simple. My limited knowledge of TMs tells me that several areas if his body have been altered, such as different kinds of memory, his nervous system, vestibular system and other things that can help with accuracy and physical strength.

Kephi smiles. I hope he doesn't plan to eat the machine, but I don't want to pick it up when his slime is all over it.

I take a deep breath as we move on toward Floroma Town. I half-expect him to challenge the next pokémon he sees to a battle, but he doesn't. Still, this isn't over yet.“So... Kephi, you know there's a prize reward for Virokoe,” I say. I can practically feel his antennae perk up. Why hadn't we been able to have this conversation sooner? “We could spin a convincing tale, get some money... We could get that operation done. The one they wouldn't give you before. For your poison glands.”

Kephi's eyes wander back and forth between me and the TM. Virokoe shifts uncomfortably from inside the backpack and I whisper to him, asking him not to say anything. Silence lays over the city like a poison.

Finally, Kephi speaks. “I've gone this far without functioning poison glands. I can keep going.” He sighs and can't resist adding sarcasm. “Besides, would you let your precious feline go? You needed him so badly.”

After Virokoe's confession about not liking attention, it seems cruel to send him back to the place where he got that attention, but I'd find a way to keep him. I wouldn't have any other choice. Who knows what Kyurem would do if I gave up not one, but two of the pokémon he wanted me to save. What would become of Kephi and Virokoe and Obieme and the others I haven't even met yet?

Part of me is glad Kephi says no. I'd have to devise some crazy plan to get Virokoe back on my team after letting him go. And that wouldn't be easy, even if Virokoe would be more willing to leave this time around. Run-ins with the police and overprotective directors and fans would be in the way...

“We'd figure it out,” I say.

“If you had won the fucking lottery at the TV station, this wouldn't be a problem.” At this, I laugh and remember how much money I have tucked away in my bank account. It's not enough. Then he goes on, “But no. Not yet, anyway. I don't want to go back to being how I was before. ...To being a killer.”

And that's the end of that. I should feel more relieved than I am, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Something tells me I won't be happy until this whole journey is done and put behind me.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Hey! Long time, no review, but here I am! Finals are over and while I've been keeping up-to-date with the fic, I only just now have time to review. There isn't anything I would say stood out to me in terms of needing fixing, so I'm just going to keep this short and sweet.

I love the direction this is going in. The trio's relationship with one another seems like the perfect balance of chaos and peace. Each interaction brings something new and surprising to the table. The characters are also very consistent and believable, in case that's something you would want to be pointed out. I really enjoy each character. Kephi's story was obvious and necessary, but it was still very touching to finally have it explained. Especially the poison glands part, that's something new. His character is probably the highlight of this fic, next to, surprisingly, Annie. She's so human. And relatable to an extent. Even her sudden detachedness from situations is something that is easy to understand, and natural (at least if you ask me). It's amazing to see how you've done all this. And Virokoe is turning into quite the development as well. He's showing a strange amount of depth, and I can't wait to see more from him. It seems like there's more to this cat than meets the eye other than vanity.

And now, Tepig. I like the nickname btw. But I love what you've done with him. Tepig is one of my favorite Pokémon, and seeing how you've got him as this like, "Mr. Nice Guy But ****ing Terrifying" kind of Pokémon is so so cool to me. I can't wait for this guy to be on the team.

This fic is a great read. I'm surprised more people aren't vocal on here about it, but I guess that's what's become of the SPPF Fan Fic Forum. It was so lively in like 2006-2010. But regardless, I've read the last few chapters multiple times cos it's just that good, and I always seem to find something new that I hadn't noticed before whenever I do. You're doing a great job and I can't wait till the next chapter.

diamondpearl876

Hey! Long time, no review, but here I am! Finals are over and while I've been keeping up-to-date with the fic, I only just now have time to review. There isn't anything I would say stood out to me in terms of needing fixing, so I'm just going to keep this short and sweet.

Congrats on being done with finals! Glad to see you back!

I love the direction this is going in. The trio's relationship with one another seems like the perfect balance of chaos and peace. Each interaction brings something new and surprising to the table. The characters are also very consistent and believable, in case that's something you would want to be pointed out. I really enjoy each character. Kephi's story was obvious and necessary, but it was still very touching to finally have it explained. Especially the poison glands part, that's something new. His character is probably the highlight of this fic, next to, surprisingly, Annie. She's so human. And relatable to an extent. Even her sudden detachedness from situations is something that is easy to understand, and natural (at least if you ask me). It's amazing to see how you've done all this. And Virokoe is turning into quite the development as well. He's showing a strange amount of depth, and I can't wait to see more from him. It seems like there's more to this cat than meets the eye other than vanity.

It is indeed something I would like pointed out! I'm glad you think that way about the characters - they're all very difficult for me to write and portray consistently, so I'm glad it's coming across well for you.

And now, Tepig. I like the nickname btw. But I love what you've done with him. Tepig is one of my favorite Pokémon, and seeing how you've got him as this like, "Mr. Nice Guy But ****ing Terrifying" kind of Pokémon is so so cool to me. I can't wait for this guy to be on the team.

Haha, Obieme raised some suspicions for readers on here, so I'm glad to see his interactions with the team aren't a disappointment.

This fic is a great read. I'm surprised more people aren't vocal on here about it, but I guess that's what's become of the SPPF Fan Fic Forum. It was so lively in like 2006-2010. But regardless, I've read the last few chapters multiple times cos it's just that good, and I always seem to find something new that I hadn't noticed before whenever I do. You're doing a great job and I can't wait till the next chapter.

If the awards are anything to go by, I at least know people are reading and enjoying, and that's what counts. Thanks for commenting as always!

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
So I wound up having a chance to read through this fic due a recent spate of sick leaves, and I'm glad that I took it even though the meta circumstances could be a little better. The thing that most struck me about this fic is the level of command that you have over your characters, and how you take a cast of dysfunctional characters that could have very easily each come off as unlikeable and somehow everything just clicks together.

Given that this review's a bit behind, I'll keep the detailed commentary to your most recent chapter.

“Do you even lock the door when you go out?” Kephi says, glowering at me.

Is that supposed to be "Did"? Or is this not the first time Annie's snuck out?

“Oh, no,” Kephi says as soon as I say we need to see the tepig again. “No, no, no.”

I sigh. That's exactly the reaction he had when he first learned my plan to catch the tepig. Since then the hatred between them has worsened beyond belief, to the point where they've made threats in response to the other's insults. It's even harder to believe my starter would fill the whole city with poison gas, just to get back at a lone enemy. Kephi knows obedience and discipline. He knows determination. He doesn't know vengeance, and I'd like to keep it that way. And anyway, he couldn't do it even if he wanted to. The reminder is comforts me a little, but not by much.

I can't help but wonder if the two somehow either have a history with each other or if Kephi gets reminded of something unpleasant by Obieme given his reservations of so much as making contact with each other.

“...Do you have the treasure from the gym? Annie said there'd be one.”

I have to stifle a giggle. Virokoe's attempts at civility are always innocent, but they're bound to get him in trouble someday.

It takes a special kind of someone to be bound to get in trouble when attempting to be civil and when attempting not to be. I don't envy Annie's job having to watch over that Purrloin.

“Well, of course the deal we made before is still in effect. But... Obieme?”

“What? You don't like it? It means 'strong heart' in Kalosian.”

“I'm sure it does.” He pauses. “Come back some other time, okay? And remember that trainers aren't just pet owners. They're leaders too.”

Obieme is right to be skeptical, it's a name with Nigerian origins.

Virokoe's instinct is to hiss and pounce, backing up the poison-type against the jagged wall of the cave. Kephi crawls up the wall and growls too. Darting forward, I'm able to stop the two from picking a fight, but just barely. Virokoe's far too defensive when it comes to his hometown. Why, then, had he agreed to go with me so readily?

I kinda wonder why given that just a few paragraphs later...

Virokoe forgets about the topic of death and goes on. “Whenever people pet me in Jubilife, they'd rip out my fur, and how dare they! I always had to wear an insane amount of make-up to cover the naked patches.”

He laughs. “You know, I left Jubilife because I don't really like attention. Can you believe that! Did you actually think you were convincing? Because right now, your acting is terrible.”

Curious as to the story behind that, I'm presently assuming that it's where Virokoe grew up.

I hold the strange circular machine in my hand, its edges smooth and its surface shiny. “What am I supposed to do with this...” I say because, of course, the darn thing didn't come with an instruction manual.

Pretty sure that that's when the internet is supposed to step in.

“If you had won the ****ing lottery at the TV station, this wouldn't be a problem.” At this, I laugh and remember how much money I have tucked away in my bank account. It's not enough. Then he goes on, “But no. Not yet, anyway. I don't want to go back to being how I was before. ...To being a killer.”

I have to wonder how Kephi is ever going to be able to decouple his association of Poison attacks with killing, since to some extent in doing so he's linking a fundamental part of himself with something he hates.

And with that, I will leave one random guess as to Kyurem's motivations for sending out Annie, assuming that it isn't all in her head:

Kyurem is an entity that is strongly associated with incompleteness in canonical lore. He is attempting to use his similarly emotionally incomplete chosen ones to see how they make themselves whole again so he can try and mimic it for himself.

Keep up the good work, and congratulations on the nominations you got for this fic.

diamondpearl876

So I wound up having a chance to read through this fic due a recent spate of sick leaves, and I'm glad that I took it even though the meta circumstances could be a little better. The thing that most struck me about this fic is the level of command that you have over your characters, and how you take a cast of dysfunctional characters that could have very easily each come off as unlikeable and somehow everything just clicks together.

Well, I hope you feel better now! I'm glad you feel that way about the characters - they're certainly not easy to learn about and/or write, that's for sure.

Is that supposed to be "Did"? Or is this not the first time Annie's snuck out?

She snuck out in the middle of the night in chapter 6 as well. After learning about Kyurem's impending ice snow storm.

I can't help but wonder if the two somehow either have a history with each other or if Kephi gets reminded of something unpleasant by Obieme given his reservations of so much as making contact with each other.

No history, but Kephi does not like fire-types. At all. When he's reminded of any weakness, he gets quiet/upset.

It takes a special kind of someone to be bound to get in trouble when attempting to be civil and when attempting not to be. I don't envy Annie's job having to watch over that Purrloin.

I don't envy her, either. It's kind of its own challenge, though, writing Virokoe.

Obieme is right to be skeptical, it's a name with Nigerian origins.

Is it? I had taken "obi" and "eme" from different languages and combined them for 'strong heart'. I can't remember the languages at the moment, though - I am quite sleep deprived. > <
Pretty sure that that's when the internet is supposed to step in.

Despite my love for Internetz, I don't use it in my fics very much, huh...
I have to wonder how Kephi is ever going to be able to decouple his association of Poison attacks with killing, since to some extent in doing so he's linking a fundamental part of himself with something he hates.

It's something to look out for. Yay, character development!

And with that, I will leave one random guess as to Kyurem's motivations for sending out Annie, assuming that it isn't all in her head:

Kyurem is an entity that is strongly associated with incompleteness in canonical lore. He is attempting to use his similarly emotionally incomplete chosen ones to see how they make themselves whole again so he can try and mimic it for himself.

I won't say if it's wrong or right, but I'm surprised you were able to come up with a hypothesis based off of one Kyurem scene. Kyurem'll show up again soon, though.

Keep up the good work, and congratulations on the nominations you got for this fic.

Thanks for the review!